TP-Rise & fall

Risers and fallers ahead of the 2022 NFL Draft

Right now it’s about 50/50 as to whether or not Georgia linebacker Nakobe Dean ends up in the first round. While he’s a first-round talent, the position he plays is not one sought out late in Day 1 as teams would rather use those picks to select a cornerback, receiver, or quarterback to ensure they get the fifth-year option.

On the other hand, Dean’s teammate, Quay Walker, is flying up boards. General managers love his size, athleticism, and ability to play three downs. It’s unlikely Dean ends up in the first round, but it’s looking like he’ll be off the board early on Day 2.

Two other players receiving high praise are Michigan safety Daxton Hill and Mississippi State offensive tackle Charles Cross.

It doesn’t look like Hill gets out of the first round as teams feel he can play everywhere — free safety, in the box, or over the slot receiver. Cross is the top offensive tackle on some boards around the league, and many teams rate him ahead of Evan Neal. No one I spoke with expects Cross to get past the Carolina Panthers at No. 6, something I reported last month.

And while some players are rising, Kyle Hamilton continues to fall. Many in the league tell me they think Hamilton ends up somewhere between picks 15 to 20. That’s still later than I expected and is a precipitous drop for a prospect still graded by some as the top player in this draft.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Right now it’s about 50/50 as to whether or not Georgia linebacker Nakobe Dean ends up in the first round. While he’s a first-round talent, the position he plays is not one sought out late in Day 1 as teams would rather use those picks to select a cornerback, receiver, or quarterback to ensure they get the fifth-year option.

On the other hand, Dean’s teammate, Quay Walker, is flying up boards. General managers love his size, athleticism, and ability to play three downs. It’s unlikely Dean ends up in the first round, but it’s looking like he’ll be off the board early on Day 2.

Two other players receiving high praise are Michigan safety Daxton Hill and Mississippi State offensive tackle Charles Cross.

It doesn’t look like Hill gets out of the first round as teams feel he can play everywhere — free safety, in the box, or over the slot receiver. Cross is the top offensive tackle on some boards around the league, and many teams rate him ahead of Evan Neal. No one I spoke with expects Cross to get past the Carolina Panthers at No. 6, something I reported last month.

And while some players are rising, Kyle Hamilton continues to fall. Many in the league tell me they think Hamilton ends up somewhere between picks 15 to 20. That’s still later than I expected and is a precipitous drop for a prospect still graded by some as the top player in this draft.

Quay Walker is the right LB for Saleh.  Was hoping 69 but not looking like he'll be there in rd 3.

Just now, Sarge4Tide said:

I like Charles Cross a lot. In the event of a trade down, he could be an option.

I think he’s the dark horse guy to be taken at 4 if ekongwu goes 3.  The jets need another tackle, unfortunately, and that’s the reality, whether they take him early or later on.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Are you Tony Pauline or do you just work for his website

11 hours ago, Dcat said:

Quay Walker is the right LB for Saleh.  Was hoping 69 but not looking like he'll be there in rd 3.

6 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I like Charles Cross a lot. In the event of a trade down, he could be an option.

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I think he’s the dark horse guy to be taken at 4 if ekongwu goes 3.  The jets need another tackle, unfortunately, and that’s the reality, whether they take him early or later on.  

6 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Are you Tony Pauline or do you just work for his website

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

He won’t be there with the Saints pick. Likely will not even be there at #10.

Thibodeaux/Cross or Ekwonu/J. Johnson would be okay combos IMO for the Jets.

Guys, let’s get back on topic.

Charmin or Cottonelle?

• Haha 2