More Likely to Make the Jets Opening Day 53 Man Roster?

53 Man Roster?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. TE Trevon Wesco VS TE Lawrence Cager

• Wesco is MUCH MORE LIKELY to make the roster
    • Wesco is more likely to make the roster
    • Cager is more likely to make the roster
    • Cager is MUCH MORE LIKELY to make the roster
  2. 2. UDFA RB Zonovan Knight VS UDFA LB DQ Thomas

• Knight is MUCH MORE LIKELY to make the roster
    • Knight is more likely to make the roster
    • Thomas is more likely to make the roster
    • Thomas is MUCH MORE LIKELY to make the roster
  3. 3. OL Dan Feeney vs DB Justin Hardee

• Feeney is MUCH MORE LIKELY to make the roster
    • Feeney is more likely to make the roster
    • Hardee is more likely to make the roster
    • Hardee is MUCH MORE LIKELY to make the roster
  4. 4. DE Bryce Huff vs DE Jacob Martin

• Huff is MUCH MORE LIKELY to make the roster
    • Huff is more likely to make the roster
    • Martin is more likely to make the roster
    • Martin is MUCH MORE LIKELY to make the roster
  5. 5. WR Denzel Mims VS WR Jeff Smith

• Mims is MUCH MORE LIKELY to make the roster
    • Mims is more likely to make the roster
    • Smith is more likely to make the roster
    • Smith is MUCH MORE LIKELY to make the roster
  6. 6. OL Chuma Edoga VS DL Jonathon Marshall

• Edoga is MUCH MORE LIKELY to make the roster
    • Edoga is more likely to make the roster
    • Marshall is more likely to make the roster
    • Marshall is MUCH MORE LIKELY to make the roster

I played, but I think there are some wild cards that might alter some selections.  I think Mims might be more likely to be on a roster, but there is a solid chance they move him to a place where he is a better fit.  LB, DT and OL will likely be highly swayed by if they sign any of the vets they have take it or leave offers out there on.  They supposedly made offers to Ogunjobi, and Alexander and also had Riley Reiff for a visit.   There are other vets out there that might interest as camp draws near.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Huff vs Martin and Mims vs Smith are the two I'm struggling with....

Can't imagine signing Martin and not having him on the 53.  Any chance both make it behind Lawson and Jermaine Johnson?  JFM listed as a DT?

Mims and Smith are a complete toss up to me.  Mims has higher upside but Smith's consistency and well-rounded abilities might be more important to the coaching staff in a guy who will be WR5 and would be seeing the field at any number of positions due to injuries to some of the top 4 WRs.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I played, but I think there are some wild cards that might alter some selections.  I think Mims might be more likely to be on a roster, but there is a solid chance they move him to a place where he is a better fit.  LB, DT and OL will likely be highly swayed by if they sign any of the vets they have take it or leave offers out there on.  They supposedly made offers to Ogunjobi, and Alexander and also had Riley Reiff for a visit.   There are other vets out there that might interest as camp draws near.

Great points. I forgot about them. Did they get offers or just came in to let them know to check beck in before signing anywhere?

Very surprised so many people voted for Wesco. While I understand the addition of 3 new TEs. With Ruckert's ability to block and Bawden being the only true FB on the roster, Wesco is kind of obsolete. At least Cager can prove himself to be a unique receiver with his size if the Jets decide to carry 6 and Smith or Mims does not look good as camp/preseason rolls along. Just my take.   

• Upvote 3

1. Wesco, only because Cager is switching positions, and the TE room is full. I'd guess, if Wesco makes it, does so in the FB role.

2. Thomas, because I haven't heard of either of them, and there's probably more open competition at the LB spot than RB. Likely, neither do.

3. Hardee. MUCH more likely. Dude is our ST captain, IIRC. Feeney hopefully shouldn't even make the squad.

4. Huff. Been around for awhile now and has shown some promise. Personally excited for him as a rotational piece. Don't remember much from Martin.

5. Had a hard time with this one, and wouldn't be surprised to see it go either way, or them both make it, but, for the purposes of the poll, I ultimately landed on Mims. I think if it comes down to either him or Smith, all Mims has to do is show the staff he knows the playbook and can operate in this offense. Dude has so much more upside, despite Smith's contribution to STs.

6. Marshall. Freak athlete, they like to rotate on the DL, and Edoga is backup quality at best (and, like Feeney, is hopefully upgraded this summer).

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Great points. I forgot about them. Did they get offers or just came in to let them know to check beck in before signing anywhere?

There were reports that they gave Ogunjobi and Alexander take it or leave it offers with a drop dead date - presumably before camp some time.  Obviously they are not particularly lucrative offers, so the players are presumably looking for more.  I think Ogunjobi just signed with the Steelers the last couple of days to replace Tuitt.  The Jets had Reiff in a couple of weeks ago.  I have not seen anything more recent on Alexander or Reiff.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Very surprised so many people voted for Wesco. While I understand the addition of 3 new TEs. With Ruckert's ability to block and Bawden being the only true FB on the roster, Wesco is kind of obsolete. At least Cager can prove himself to be a unique receiver with his size if the Jets decide to carry 6 and Smith or Mims does not look good as camp/preseason rolls along. Just my take.   

You know what Wesco can do, Ruckert is still a rookie so you may need Wesco another season.  Wesco also plays the FB role while Cager hasnt proven anything beyond his size and the dream we all have that he can put it to good use while he just doesnt get it done.  I cant see a scenario where Cager stays over Mims and Smith

• Upvote 1

Knight to me has a good shot at knocking a guy like perine off the roster

Smith has the huge advantage of special teams and will beat out Mims.

Jets like Feeney for some reason he will be over Hardee, all these guys that we sign to be special teams aces disappoint.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

1. Wesco, only because Cager is switching positions, and the TE room is full. I'd guess, if Wesco makes it, does so in the FB role.

2. Thomas, because I haven't heard of either of them, and there's probably more open competition at the LB spot than RB. Likely, neither do.

3. Hardee. MUCH more likely. Dude is our ST captain, IIRC. Feeney hopefully shouldn't even make the squad.

4. Huff. Been around for awhile now and has shown some promise. Personally excited for him as a rotational piece. Don't remember much from Martin.

5. Had a hard time with this one, and wouldn't be surprised to see it go either way, or them both make it, but, for the purposes of the poll, I ultimately landed on Mims. I think if it comes down to either him or Smith, all Mims has to do is show the staff he knows the playbook and can operate in this offense. Dude has so much more upside, despite Smith's contribution to STs.

6. Marshall. Freak athlete, they like to rotate on the DL, and Edoga is backup quality at best (and, like Feeney, is hopefully upgraded this summer).

This might be the FIRST serious football related post I've seen from you .... and I LIKE it.  Nice analysis.

4. Both Huff & Martin.  The latter was just signed $6M+ guaranteed as someone else mentioned above and Huff might be ready to take the next step and turn a high win rate into actual sacks.  I see the Jets keeping an extra DL.  In pass rushing situations, JFM shifts inside and the Jets keep 5 Ends:  Lawson + Johnson as starters.  Huff, Martin, and Clemons all in the rotation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

10 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

This might be the FIRST serious football related post I've seen from you .... and I LIKE it.  Nice analysis.   

Yes, and that's suspicious coming from the Beaver.

Vote Spoot

• Haha 3

Despite being the president and sole member of the Jeff Smith fan club, I will drop this here:  Smith played in 12 games to Mims 11, and both started 3, but Mims played 61 more snaps on offense.  That is not insignificant - it's like 5% of the teams snaps.  We all blow up Smith's ST potential, but Smith only played 60 ST snaps, leaving them exactly 1 snap apart total. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

What do you think Jetsfan80?  I know your (rightfully) skeptical of Q and (understandably) skeptical of Zach.  Who are some of your up and comers who grab a roster spot and make some noise?  

Jeff Smith, Jacob Martin, Ashtyn Davis, Jabari Zuniga.  

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jeff Smith, Jacob Martin, Ashtyn Davis, Jabari Zuniga.  

With you on the first 2.  I can see Davis, has flashed here and there entering year 3.  Don't know why the immediate fan expectations were so high for a third round safety from the Pac 10.  SMH as I type that.

Respectfully, don't see it with Zuniga but if you are right, what a problem to have.

Just now, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

With you on the first 2.  I can see Davis, has flashed here and there entering year 3.  Don't know why the immediate expectations were so high for a third round safety from the Pac 10.  SMH as I type that.

Respectfully, don't see it with Zuniga but if you are right, what a problem to have.

its hard for me to give up on a physical freak like Zuniga.  This is it for him.  If he’s gonna show anything it’ll be right now.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

4. Both Huff & Martin.  The latter was just signed $6M+ guaranteed as someone else mentioned above and Huff might be ready to take the next step and turn a high win rate into actual sacks.  I see the Jets keeping an extra DL.  In pass rushing situations, JFM shifts inside and the Jets keep 5 Ends:  Lawson + Johnson as starters.  Huff, Martin, and Clemons all in the rotation. 

Lmao. Every now and then, between the poop and dick jokes, I drop a duece of hard knowledge.

And, I agree, if the Jets keep an extra player anywhere, I wouldn't be surprised for it to be on the DL or LB group, seeing as how much they want to rotate fresh bodies. Wouldn't surprise me to even see Wesco be casualty in order to make room. With Conklin, Uzomoah, and Ruckert, he's kinda redundant. Don't really need a 4th guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

Wesco/Cager-you need to add Yeboah too.  Wesco supposedly can block, but so can Ruckert.   This is really a toss up depending on injuries and camp.

Knight/Thomas-I went with Thomas because the LB room is so unproven.  

Feeney/Hardee-we did guarantee Feeney money.  Feeney is the backup C.  If Ross P can do it, he would be better, but I think Feeney sticks because is money is guaranteed and we have so many secondary at this point we can't keep a ST player.  But I would rather keep Hardee and find a better, younger C/G backup.

Huff/Martin-Martin got the contract, Huff can't stay healthy.  

Mims/Smith-They keep both if they have to, but I can see an injury/trade deciding it for them.

Edoga/Marshall-we need DT.  I think they go with Marshall and let Mitchell, McDermott and a veteran cover T.  

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Mims and Smith are a complete toss up to me.  Mims has higher upside but Smith's consistency and well-rounded abilities might be more important to the coaching staff in a guy who will be WR5 and would be seeing the field at any number of positions due to injuries to some of the top 4 WRs.

I will be impressed with JD if he takes Smith over Mims if Smith outperforms him in camp.  Would send a signal that roster spots are based on performance vs. pedigree.  IMO, on equal performance, you'd have to take Mims based on higher ceiling...

5 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Lmao. Every now and then, between the poop and dick jokes, I drop a duece of hard knowledge.

And, I agree, if the Jets keep an extra player anywhere, I wouldn't be surprised for it to be on the DL or LB group, seeing as how much they want to rotate fresh bodies. Wouldn't surprise me to even see Wesco be casualty in order to make room. With Conklin, Uzomoah, and Ruckert, he's kinda redundant. Don't really need a 4th guy.

Keep the poop and dick jokes coming.  47 years old, and they are as funny as when I was 8.

• Haha 2

#1   I think I gagged at the thought of either. I would have voted neither.  

#2   As much as I do like Bam, we are LB deficient. Easy choice.

#3   Add more bodies to OL.  Easy one.

#4   Martin

#5   (sigh) Smith, but I would have voted both to make roster. 

#6   Marshall

How did you pair these choices up?  Some tough calls there.

22 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You know what Wesco can do, Ruckert is still a rookie so you may need Wesco another season.  Wesco also plays the FB role while Cager hasnt proven anything beyond his size and the dream we all have that he can put it to good use while he just doesnt get it done.  I cant see a scenario where Cager stays over Mims and Smith

Right. The scenario would be that Cager stays over Wesco and the Jets carry more WRs. And of course, Cager would have to absolutely explode onto the scene. He would beat out one of Mims OR Smith...I think that is somewhat realistic, and Wesco gets cut. 

You know what Wesco can do but you also know that Ruckert can block. Ruckert was one of if not THE best run blocking TE in the draft. You don't need to carry Wesco another year just in case Ruckert does not work out as a blocker. You KNOW he can block. 

And like I said in my original post, while Wesco is able to play the FB role. The Jets have a better, 'true' FB in Bawden. So they have a FB in Bawden, they have a blocking TE in Ruckert and they have two pass catching TEs. Wesco is IMO, obsolete. Now, do I think that means Cager WILL make the team. No, probably not. But I think it means he may just have a better chance than Wesco if he balls out.   

On 6/23/2022 at 12:35 PM, jetstream23 said:

Huff vs Martin and Mims vs Smith are the two I'm struggling with....

Can't imagine signing Martin and not having him on the 53.  Any chance both make it behind Lawson and Jermaine Johnson?  JFM listed as a DT?

Yes, that's exactly what's going to happen, especially because the plan is to shift JFM inside on passing downs. But if they are only keeping one it will be Martin, given that they're not going to cut him after signing him as a free agent

23 hours ago, PepPep said:

Cager is now a TE

17 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Cager is now a TE

It doesn't really matter. Its all relative. He's a purely receiving TE who is a converted WR. He won't be blocking out there. I would imagine the Jets flex him out into the slot. He won't be playing as an inline TE. He's still, essentially a big WR. The Jets would need to balance their WR and TE depth, yes, so maybe he is officially labeled as a TE.