Stab at 53 Man Roster

What’s your take?  Assuming 1 punter, 1 pk, 1 long snapper, 50 left for the following..

QB (3):  Wilson, White, Flacco

OL (9).  Fant, Tomlinson, McGovern, AVT, Becton.  Mitchell, TBD Vet Swing Tackle, Herbig, Feeney (edited to keep given $3M guaranteed)

RB (4):  Hall, Carter, Coleman, FB Bowden

WR (6):  Moore, Davis, Wilson, Berrios, Smith, Montgomery.  * Mims traded *

TE (3):  Uzomah, Conklin, Ruckert

DL (9):  Johnson, JFM, Williams, Lawson.  Huff, Marshall, TBD Vet DT, Martin/Clemons.  * Rankins cut saving roughly $4M (edited to make roster room for Feeney) *

LB (6):  Mosley, Williams, TBD (trade or free agent).  Harris, Sherwood, Nasilreen

CB (6):  Sauce, Reed, Carter II.  Hall, Echols, Hardee.  * Guidry cut *

Safety (4):  Whitehead, Pinnock.  Riley, Davis.  * Joyner cut *

• Upvote 3

Seems mostly reasonable.

Personally, I’m expecting us to only carry 2 QBs on the 53 man roster. I also don’t see is cutting/trading Feeney, Joyner and Mims. Joyner for sure would be a surprise.

The 4th FB/TE spot is going to be interesting. Bowden looked descent as a FB last year. But we havent heard much about him during the offseason. So not really sure where he stands. Conklin is versatile and can play FB which gives us the flexibility to keep Cager or  Yeboah. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Seems mostly reasonable.

Personally, I’m expecting us to only carry 2 QBs on the 53 man roster. I also don’t see is cutting/trading Feeney, Joyner and Mims. Joyner for sure would be a surprise.

The 4th FB/TE spot is going to be interesting. Bowden looked descent as a FB last year. But we havent heard much about him during the offseason. So not really sure where he stands. Conklin is versatile and can play FB which gives us the flexibility to keep Cager or  Yeboah. 

Good thoughts.  For the first time in over a decade, we might have multiple surprise cuts due to the competition level.  

How would 2 QBs work?  Stash White on Practice Squad?  Would he need to clear waivers?  If not, how easy is it for another team to sign him?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

What’s your take?  Assuming 1 punter, 1 pk, 1 long snapper, 50 left for the following..

OL (8).  Fant, Tomlinson, McGovern, AVT, Becton.  Mitchell, TBD Vet Swing Tackle, C/G Herbig.  * Feeney cut *

DL (10):  Johnson, JFM, Williams, Lawson.  Huff, Marshall, TBD Vet DT, Martin.  Rankins, Clemons

LB (6):  Mosley, Williams, TBD (trade or free agent).  Harris, Sherwood, Nasilreen

1 Feeney is going nowhere with a guaranteed contract.

2. I think we keep 4 RB and not Bowden.  I think they keep another tight end that can play H back.

3. I think Mims stays

4. I’d think they keep 9 o line and 9 d line.   If they bring in a vet DT, it’s at Rankins expense.

5 Could they get by with 5 LBs?

6. I don’t think Riley beats out Joyner.  They seem high on him

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Good thoughts.  For the first time in over a decade, we might have multiple surprise cuts due to the competition level.  

How would 2 QBs work?  Stash White on Practice Squad?  Would he need to clear waivers?  If not, how easy is it for another team to sign him?

Used to be any team can sign a player off of your practice squad provided you keep the player on your active roster.  

46 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Last year, we opened wig 2 QBs and stashed Johnson on the practice squad.

This year, I think we will put Mike White on the practice squad. Lots of people around the league thought we were crazy to have him open as our backup last year. Unless he lights it up in preseason, I dont think a team will try and snatch him up.

We’d likely have to pay up though as he can chose to play on another team’s practice squad. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

1 Feeney is going nowhere with a guaranteed contract.

2. I think we keep 4 RB and not Bowden.  I think they keep another tight end that can play H back.

3. I think Mims stays

4. I’d think they keep 9 o line and 9 d line.   If they bring in a vet DT, it’s at Rankins expense.

5 Could they get by with 5 LBs?

6. I don’t think Riley beats out Joyner.  They seem high on him

1. Agreed.  Didn’t realize he had $3M guaranteed

3. This will be an interesting debate thru training camp & into preseason.  I just don’t think he’s a fit.  Hope I’m wrong

4. I know, I had a tough time justifying keeping Rankins.  But that would leave us with only 3.5 interior tackles including JFM on passing downs.  So 3 against the run where we are most vulnerable.  Unless they feel JFM can stay inside against the run

5. Most 4-3 teams keep 6 to 7.  Special teams contributors often come from this pool and we are losing some TEs that played significant special teams reps

6. Riley is more of a strong safety while Pinnock, Davis and Joyner are more free safeties.  Joyner staying might mean Davis or Pinnock leaves

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Last year, we opened wig 2 QBs and stashed Johnson on the practice squad.

This year, I think we will put Mike White on the practice squad. Lots of people around the league thought we were crazy to have him open as our backup last year. Unless he lights it up in preseason, I dont think a team will try and snatch him up.

We’d likely have to pay up though as he can chose to play on another team’s practice squad. 

They would have to cut him and have him clear waivers (which he would, lol) before adding him to the practice squad. According to Over The Cap, his contract isn’t guaranteed, so they could potentially save some money in the process. It’s an interesting situation because generally when teams tender RFAs, they don’t intend to cut and stash them. 

• Upvote 2

Not bad, but quite a few little things I don't agree with.  Most have already been mentioned.

I can't imagine them cutting both Edoga and McDermott.  I see that you have "vet swing tackle" added, but unless that is a guy (Reiff?) that they get in before camp, I think at least one of those guys make it.  Honestly, one still might stick.  I think they will keep more OL than that.

As stated a few of these guys just got deals.  Joyner and Feeney.  Feeney's deal basically means he sticks. 

I don't think they will keep that many LB.  I think they will play safeties there and they simply don't play 3 LB often enough to carry that many bodies.  Maybe they bring in Kwon Alexander, but I think that gets someone else chopped.

I'm not sure they cut Rankins.  He played more snaps than people remember and even though he wasn't great he seems appreciated.  I don't think they will add any vets.  I think Ogunjobi was a good fit and they didn't even offer him much.

I am with you on Bawden making the team.  We all were happy that the Oline started to gel and the running game improved, but I think Bawden also helped a bunch there.  I can see them keeping another TE, but I think Bawden is the one that will be taking Wesco's spot, not any of the TEs.

I don't see Montgomery making it. All the talk about Mims seems to me like a guy they will trade.  I know that I have floated this before.  If he really is looking good, that is an awesome problem to have. If they move him, I think it will be more fit than talent.  I don't see Montgomery taking that spot though.  When they needed an extra slot for tryout players, Montgomery was cut and then brought back when they waived Adams.  I think Irvin Charles, or Calvin Jackson is more likely.  Even Tarik Black didn't get cut in May.  I have to assume that being on the bubble in May is not a good sign, even if they did bring him back basically the same day.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Not bad, but quite a few little things I don't agree with.  Most have already been mentioned.

I can't imagine them cutting both Edoga and McDermott.  I see that you have "vet swing tackle" added, but unless that is a guy (Reiff?) that they get in before camp, I think at least one of those guys make it.  Honestly, one still might stick.  I think they will keep more OL than that.

As stated a few of these guys just got deals.  Joyner and Feeney.  Feeney's deal basically means he sticks. 

I don't think they will keep that many LB.  I think they will play safeties there and they simply don't play 3 LB often enough to carry that many bodies.  Maybe they bring in Kwon Alexander, but I think that gets someone else chopped.

I'm not sure they cut Rankins.  He played more snaps than people remember and even though he wasn't great he seems appreciated.  I don't think they will add any vets.  I think Ogunjobi was a good fit and they didn't even offer him much.

I am with you on Bawden making the team.  We all were happy that the Oline started to gel and the running game improved, but I think Bawden also helped a bunch there.  I can see them keeping another TE, but I think Bawden is the one that will be taking Wesco's spot, not any of the TEs.

I don't see Montgomery making it. All the talk about Mims seems to me like a guy they will trade.  I know that I have floated this before.  If he really is looking good, that is an awesome problem to have. If they move him, I think it will be more fit than talent.  I don't see Montgomery taking that spot though.  When they needed an extra slot for tryout players, Montgomery was cut and then brought back when they waived Adams.  I think Irvin Charles, or Calvin Jackson is more likely.  Even Tarik Black didn't get cut in May.  I have to assume that being on the bubble in May is not a good sign, even if they did bring him back basically the same day.

Which Free Safety do they cut to keep Joyner? Pinnock or Davis?  With the depth they now have, some difficult decisions meaning they really won’t have the luxury to keep 3 free safeties.  At least, seems highly unlikely.

Yep, strong rationale on Montgomery.  I’m strictly going by who is standing out in minicamp so that one is highly subject to change.

16 minutes ago, slats said:

They would have to cut him and have him clear waivers (which he would, lol) before adding him to the practice squad. According to Over The Cap, his contract isn’t guaranteed, so they could potentially save some money in the process. It’s an interesting situation because generally when teams tender RFAs, they don’t intend to cut and stash them. 

Curious why you are so down on White?  I know he was overhyped.  Is there something you see in his makeup or game?  I think it was Cimini who recently reported the Jets view him as a starter, which I get might be smoke and mirrors originating from the FO to move him in a deal.  But if you see it that way, it does tell you the Jets feel there might be a market and would be worried about him clearing waivers.

10 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Which Free Safety do they cut to keep Joyner? Pinnock or Davis?  With the depth they now have, some difficult decisions meaning they really won’t have the luxury to keep 3 free safeties.  At least, seems highly unlikely.

Yep, strong rationale on Montgomery.  I’m strictly going by who is standing out in minicamp so that one is highly subject to change.

Just guessing, but I think they keep all 3.  Pinnock and Joyner are basically corners.  They love that.  Honestly, if they cut one of them, I think Guidry sticks.  I think they will keep a ton of DBs

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Curious why you are so down on White?  I know he was overhyped.  Is there something you see in his makeup or game?  I think it was Cimini who recently reported the Jets view him as a starter, which I get might be smoke and mirrors originating from the FO to move him in a deal.  But if you see it that way, it does tell you the Jets feel there might be a market and would be worried about him clearing waivers.

I’m not too down on him, I just think carrying three QBs is a bit of a waste, and that White is probably overpaid. Before looking it up today, I was under the impression that RFA tenders were guaranteed. So it’s new information that I’m processing. Flacco’s contract is fully guaranteed and inexpensive, so they won’t mess with him. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Just guessing, but I think they keep all 3.  Pinnock and Joyner are basically corners.  They love that.  Honestly, if they cut one of them, I think Guidry sticks.  I think they will keep a ton of DBs

Also Sherwood and Nasrilideen are converted safeties who could easily fill that box role if needed. With the overhaul at CB, I expect Whitehead in the box most of the time. I can’t imagine Pinnock going anywhere. 

image.png

13 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m not too down on him, I just think carrying three QBs is a bit of a waste, and that White is probably overpaid. Before looking it up today, I was under the impression that RFA tenders were guaranteed. So it’s new information that I’m processing. Flacco’s contract is fully guaranteed and inexpensive, so they won’t mess with him. 

That is good info.  I didn’t realize that either.  Logically, your argument makes sense.

Excited to see a roster so deep on paper, outside of a vet swing tackle (not named McDermott or Edoga), another DT, and some LB help.  The first feels like an absolute requirement.  The sentiment on the latter 2 might change depending on the development of guys like Marshall, Sherwood and Nasilreen.  Still have no idea who fills in for Mosley if he got hurt.  That’s the scariest defensive depth scenario for me..

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

OL (9).  Fant, Tomlinson, McGovern, AVT, Becton.  Mitchell, TBD Vet Swing Tackle, Herbig, Feeney (edited to keep given $3M guaranteed)

DL (9):  Johnson, JFM, Williams, Lawson.  Huff, Marshall, TBD Vet DT, Martin/Clemons.  * Rankins cut saving roughly $4M (edited to make roster room for Feeney) *

You need to do better than Edoga for your Vet Swing Tackle scenario.  Edoga didn't do bad as a backup last year, but I would love to upgrade the position as you mentioned.

I would either love to trade Mims, or have Mims step up and be the player we hoped he would be when we drafted him. If that were to be the case, then Montgomery is the odd man out.

So, you have both Vinny Curry and Rankins getting cut, while bringing in a Vet DT?  I don't see it.  I think you are wrong on this one.  

I agree that we need to upgrade the linebacker position, and to me, this one is almost a necessity as far as I am concerned.  

Joyner cut is an interesting one.  Riley would have to beat out Joyner.  A tough call.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Alka said:

You need to do better than Edoga for your Vet Swing Tackle scenario.  Edoga didn't do bad as a backup last year, but I would love to upgrade the position as you mentioned.

I would either love to trade Mims, or have Mims step up and be the player we hoped he would be when we drafted him. If that were to be the case, then Montgomery is the odd man out.

So, you have both Vinny Curry and Rankins getting cut, while bringing in a Vet DT?  I don't see it.  I think you are wrong on this one.  

I agree that we need to upgrade the linebacker position, and to me, this one is almost a necessity as far as I am concerned.  

Joyner cut is an interesting one.  Riley would have to beat out Joyner.  A tough call.

Good thoughts!  Just think Curry is more of an edge and Rankins was very very subpar last year, graded near the bottom of interior linemen in both pass and run.  Would love to bring in a big fat run stopper that fits the system.

As mentioned above, Riley is more of a strong safety where Joyner is more of a free safety.  Maybe the Jets see these roles as interchangeable which would make your comparison that much more relevant.

7 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Good thoughts!  Just think Curry is more of an edge and Rankins was very very subpar last year, graded near the bottom ofterior linemen in both pass and run.  Would love to bring in a big fat run stopper that fits the system.

As mentioned above, Riley is more of a strong safety where Joyner is more of a free safety.  Maybe the Jets see these roles as interchangeable which would make your comparison that much more relevant.

I take it back.  Rankins will be cut.  Curry will be cut.  You're right.  Rankins did underperform, and he is injury prone to boot.  Curry is more of an edge, and the Jets have too many right now.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Alka said:

I take it back.  Rankins will be cut.  Curry will be cut.  You're right.  Rankins did underperform, and he is injury prone to boot.  Curry is more of an edge, and the Jets have too many right now.

Any guys out there in free agency you like?  Still have a bit of money plus some savings from a Rankins cut to go shopping.

31 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Good thoughts!  Just think Curry is more of an edge and Rankins was very very subpar last year, graded near the bottom of interior linemen in both pass and run.  Would love to bring in a big fat run stopper that fits the system.

Do not think the Jets are even looking for a big, fat run stopper. Such a player would not fit their system. Ogunjobi who they took a run at was a similar player to Rankins. He just had better credentials.

Curry is an interesting challenge. He's one of Saleh's locker room guys and if he can perform like Philadelphia Curry, I think Saleh would find a way to keep him. Training camp is going to be where this all gets sorted. Too soon and too close to call right now.

Our swing tackle is not yet on the team and the kid LBs are a total wild card.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Any guys out there in free agency you like?  Still have a bit of money plus some savings from a Rankins cut to go shopping.

Most of the guys still available in free agency will still be there when training camps open, and maybe when the season’s over, too. Jets will probably wait for camp cuts to add players currently in the league. They’re second in line for waiver claims. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Do not think the Jets are even looking for a big, fat run stopper. Such a player would not fit their system. Ogunjobi who they took a run at was a similar player to Rankins. He just had better credentials.

Curry is an interesting challenge. He's one of Saleh's locker room guys and if he can perform like Philadelphia Curry, I think Saleh would find a way to keep him. Training camp is going to be where this all gets sorted. Too soon and too close to call right now.

Our swing tackle is not yet on the team and the kid LBs are a total wild card.

All fair.  I agree that it doesn’t seem like the Jets  are looking for a fat run stuffer.  Not sure I get the strategy but agree it does impact who they go after.

How many Jets' players actually were on the 53 at some point last year?  80?

I don't see the Jets cutting anyone from this roster who actually goes to another team and does well.  When was the last time that happened?  

Injuries will solve most of these issues.  The biggest question on the entire roster is whether Rankins sticks, and I think he does because JD does appear to have overlooked that position a bit.

The fact the Feeney is likely to make the roster over someone younger with more potential is also a shame. 

Bring it on.  

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I answered Akem Hicks, but realized that he has been signed.  Not much available.  Sheldon Richardson is still available, but I'm not so sure that the Jets want him back.

11 minutes ago, Alka said:

I answered Akem Hicks, but realized that he has been signed.  Not much available.  Sheldon Richardson is still available, but I'm not so sure that the Jets want him back.

Sheldon Richardson?  OH HELL NO !!!

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don't see the Jets cutting anyone from this roster who actually goes to another team and does well.  When was the last time that happened?  

I think it is different this year. The Jets will cut DL, RB, and probably CB and TE who will make 53 man rosters around the league. I can’t recall the last time we were talking about difficult cuts around here. 

• Upvote 1