Forget APEX or DK or Underdog. Join our fantasy league! Great new format. Buy in to be determined by what we're comfortable with

Hey guys, I'm starting a fantasy league with a couple of new wrinkles that I think make the overall format and experience better and eliminates a lot of the luck that can give fantasy football players agita.

1) Team RB. You get every single running back from a particular team and they all go into your starting lineup. The way the running game is so specialized these days in the NFL with early down backs, "pass catching" backs etc. I think this provides a less fragmented approach to fantasy football and increases the number of "true" number one running backs available. Also, RB is an injury riddled position and you no longer have to worry about in-game or season long injuries, or at least mitigates that risk.

2) Defense matters. In most fantasy leagues either defense matters very little or it's been eliminated entirely. Defense is half the game so why shouldn't it count as much as say, any single position on the field? 

3) QB's are worth more. Again, like in the NFL, QB's are the most important position on the field, so in this league they get a slight bump over any other position. 

4) Larger lineups/Bigger rosters. Like a step toward a best ball type lineup system, you start two quarterbacks and three flex players. 

5) Pick sixes are actual pick sixes. They are scored like touchdowns except inverted.

6) True standings. Standings, playoff seedings are not solely determined by head to head matchups which can and do rely on luck. In this league it is the power rankings that count (total points, record, record against league) mitigating the luck factor. Also, the playoffs are not head to head but count as a second league with the highest scoring teams through each round of the playoffs advancing, although playoff byes are still in effect. 

The best part is that the players keep all of the prize money instead of the 12 percent rake that the sites take for themselves.

• Thumb Down 1

@Gastineau Lives over drafted defense & QB, lost a few games to teams who had a lower total points at the end of the season and had his RB's get injured in his big money league. Now he's going to fix these problems fantasy football has.

won't fix the fact that he gets owned on the waiver wire transactions though. Maybe tweak that to favor people who suck at the waiver wire?

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

@Gastineau Lives over drafted defense & QB, lost a few games to teams who had a lower total points at the end of the season and had his RB's get injured in his big money league. Now he's going to fix these problems fantasy football has.

won't fix the fact that he gets owned on the waiver wire transactions though. Maybe tweak that to favor people who suck at the waiver wire?

I finished 1st, 1st and 2nd in my three APEX leagues last year.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Lol where did you even get this story?

I had no idea this thread would be a jerkoff magnet

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Lol where did you even get this story?

I had no idea this thread would be a jerkoff magnet

I was mostly busting your chops because the changes looked like a laundry list of something someone would whine about in the message forum of a fantasy league and I assumed that was why you created this league.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I was mostly busting your chops because the changes looked like a laundry list of something someone would whine about in the message forum of a fantasy league and I assumed that was why you created this league.

Lol No man. I just automatically assume everyone is being an a$$hole on the internet. 

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

mood GIF

2 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Honest question. So if I'm reading it right you want the standings to be more like PGA or maybe how NASCAR used to be? 

I have no idea.

I've been in pure points leagues, I've been in pure match-up leagues and I've been in leagues where it was record and record vs league. Some sites calculate the "power rankings" automatically. 

The single RB made much more sense when I was first playing in the early 2000s and you had true workhorse backs. Now you don't have as many so what you're basically doing is fighting for the few workhorse backs and then scrambling on the scrap bin for everyone else and praying that the backup RB you picked gets his shot when the starter, God willing, blows out his knee for the season.

Injuries are bad luck. So are matchups. Your team is not really playing against the other team, so again, it's luck. You can take an L when you've basically outscored every other team besides the one you're "playing" that week. If you can remove any amount of luck from the equation you should do it.

38 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I am, yes, in how I banter.

However, I’m dead serious about the actual topic.

You haven't made a valid point yet.

RB is the only position that comes off the field for stretches of the game or at the goal line. A lot of the time it's pure luck whether you get points from a RB in a given situation. It's the most fragmented position in football.

They're also way more likely than any other position to get injured which is basically bad (or good) luck. You wind up rooting for injuries or praying that you don't get one. 

What you have is a handful of workhorse backs and a pile of randos.

This article explains it better: Fantasy Football: Here's why the workhorse RB is disappearing (yahoo.com)

"

"So we're looking at no more than a dozen backs who could possibly have shots at full, featured workloads, assuming no health or discipline complications. It should go without saying, however, that there are definitely injuries and other issues ahead for several of these players. Kamara could be facing a suspension following his arrest in February. The only guys on the above list who didn't miss a game last year were Taylor, Harris and Zeke (who was widely viewed as a disappointment, a player in decline). Three of the players above — Henry, McCaffrey and Akers — appeared in less than half of their team's games.

The most likely outcome, once again, is that we're going to see no more than 4-6 running backs reach a workload level that used to seem thoroughly unspectacular. Fred Taylor handled 300 or more touches in four of his first six pro seasons — with a high of 393 in 2003 — and people referred to him as "Fragile Fred." (Easily the most disrespectful and unwarranted nickname of the era. Taylor was phenomenal.)

In the current era, if you're still chasing running backs with every early draft pick, then you're ignoring some very basic and obvious changes in the game.

Your odds of landing a high-volume every-down back with any pick in any round have never been worse."

I like order. Right now what we have is chaos.

12 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

You haven't made a valid point yet.

RB is the only position that comes off the field for stretches of the game or at the goal line. A lot of the time it's pure luck whether you get points from a RB in a given situation. It's the most fragmented position in football.

They're also way more likely than any other position to get injured which is basically bad (or good) luck. You wind up rooting for injuries or praying that you don't get one. 

What you have is a handful of workhorse backs and a pile of randos.

This article explains it better: Fantasy Football: Here's why the workhorse RB is disappearing (yahoo.com)

"

"So we're looking at no more than a dozen backs who could possibly have shots at full, featured workloads, assuming no health or discipline complications. It should go without saying, however, that there are definitely injuries and other issues ahead for several of these players. Kamara could be facing a suspension following his arrest in February. The only guys on the above list who didn't miss a game last year were Taylor, Harris and Zeke (who was widely viewed as a disappointment, a player in decline). Three of the players above — Henry, McCaffrey and Akers — appeared in less than half of their team's games.

The most likely outcome, once again, is that we're going to see no more than 4-6 running backs reach a workload level that used to seem thoroughly unspectacular. Fred Taylor handled 300 or more touches in four of his first six pro seasons — with a high of 393 in 2003 — and people referred to him as "Fragile Fred." (Easily the most disrespectful and unwarranted nickname of the era. Taylor was phenomenal.)

In the current era, if you're still chasing running backs with every early draft pick, then you're ignoring some very basic and obvious changes in the game.

Your odds of landing a high-volume every-down back with any pick in any round have never been worse."

I like order. Right now what we have is chaos.

Just because you don’t like my point, doesn’t make it invalid. This is fantasy football for crybabies who suck at the actual game.

• Haha 1

I do like the whole team RB concept, but neither that or the rest of the options would help me win a FFL league, ever. Helen Keller would beat me even if you tied her hands behind her. 

I'm an a 12 team league that's about 20 years old, and we have two teams in the names of two deceased participants. In their honor, we've left them in the league, they auto-pick to start the season, and we rotate every week who gets to set their roster (usually the person who last played them the previous game.) Woe be to the person who loses to them in a given matchup, or worse, ends the season behind them in the standings: they get mercilessly shat on.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

I do like the whole team RB concept, but neither that or the rest of the options would help me win a FFL league, ever. Helen Keller would beat me even if you tied her hands behind her. 

I'm an a 12 team league that's about 20 years old, and we have two teams in the names of two deceased participants. In their honor, we've left them in the league, they auto-pick to start the season, and we rotate every week who gets to set their roster (usually the person who last played them the previous game.) Woe be to the person who loses to them in a given matchup, or worse, ends the season behind them in the standings: they get mercilessly shat on.

That's actually very cool. 

• Upvote 1

I only played fantasy once. Adrian petersons rookie year. He ran away from the jets in a preseason game with a deep quad bruise. I was impressed lol. Drafted him #3 everyone laughed at me. I won the league without knowing about roster substitutions for bye weeks ?

definitely quitting while I’m ahead lol. 

• Upvote 2