Jets' Deal No Bargain

Smizzy

JETS' DEAL NO BARGAIN

March 22, 2006 -- THE more things change, the more they remain the same with the Jets. John Abraham is a Falcon today, for the 29th pick in the NFL Draft, because the Jets went back on their word. They told him to stay on the field for an entire season, and then they'd gladly talk about a long-term contract. Abraham held up his end of the bargain. The Jets did not.

You hear all this nonsense about Abraham being a bad fit for Eric Mangini's new 3-4 defense. All I know is this: Daunte Culpepper is feeling a lot better today about being quarterback of the Dolphins. Because the Jets apparently think they can rattle him - and Tom Brady - with 35-year-old Kimo von Oelhoffen coming around the corner.

Right.

The rookie head coach and rookie GM Mike Tannenbaum have vowed to look under every rock for players who can lead the Jets back to respectability and beyond. Good luck finding one that has a pass rusher in Abraham's league beneath it.

There will be Jet fans happy that Abraham is gone. There was that playoff loss in Oakland when he was too sick to play. There was the off-the-field, alcohol-induced car wreck. Abraham buried that part of his past the way he buried quarterbacks when he was healthy.

Remember this: He started 64 games since Bill Parcells drafted him in 2000 and recorded 54 sacks and 18 forced fumbles. In other words, he was the modern-day Mark Gastineau, without the sack dance and without Brigitte Nielsen.

Why did the Falcons, and the Seahawks, and the Redskins, and the Broncos, who helped agents Tony Agnone and Rich Rosa broker the three-way deal, lust for Abraham? Here's why: Predators do not grow on trees.

Call this One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Abraham gets to play for a legitimate heavyweight contender instead of a tomato can. He gets to play close to his South Carolina home. He gets to play for an owner, Arthur Blank, and shrewd front-office executives named Rich McKay and Bill Devaney, who respected him enough to give him $18 million in guaranteed money. The deal is six years, $45 million. He gets to play opposite Patrick Kerney, which gives Jim Mora a pair of bookends you can mention in the same sentence as Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora, and Julius Peppers and Mike Rucker.

The Jets must now use the 29th pick, and their own fourth pick, in a package to entice the Saints to trade the No. 2 pick, so they can draft their next franchise quarterback, Matt Leinart. If the Saints don't bite, then Plan B for the Jets has to be defensive end Mario Williams, a 6-foot-7, 290-pound menace.

Abraham will be 28 years old in May. It means his best years are ahead of him. Lawrence Taylor, after all drugs and all the sleepless nights, went 12, 15.5, 15 and 10.5 in sacks from his seventh to 10th season. Strahan went 5.5, 9.5, 22.5, 11 and 18.5 from his seventh to 11th season. No one is comparing Abraham to either Giant Hall of Famer.

The point is, if you can get after the quarterback, you can do it into your 30s.

Abraham's teammates - specifically Shaun Ellis and Laveranues Coles - will miss him. He has grown up a lot. I like him as a person as much as I like him as a player. The Jets made the bed, and Abraham didn't want to sleep in it anymore, and I can't blame him.

The Jets wanted the 15th pick, didn't get it. The Jets wanted Matt Schaub, didn't get him. Only three years ago, the Jets had a franchise quarterback (Chad Pennington) and a premier pass rusher. When Woody Johnson woke up today, he didn't have either.

steve.serby@nypost.com

Lol...talk about verbal fellatio . Abe should atleast send him a card or something.

You know what Serby, you freaken idiot, let's wait and see how Abe perfoms in Atlanta before you pop off with the mouth what a bad deal this was for the Jets...let's wait and see what the Jets do now with this extra pick...let's just wait and see how this all unfolds before more garbage empties out of your ass before you start saying..."same old Jets"

Here's even more fun from Bob Glauber:

Barring a career-ending injury, he will likely be in the NFL longer than Eric Mangini will be the Jets' coach and Mike Tannenbaum will be their general manager.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spglaub224671436mar22,0,2198411.column?coll=ny-jets-print

Are these guys beat writers, or gossip columnists? He's condemning our coach and GM to failure before the draft, before FA is over, and before they ever take a snap in an actual game.

This 'steve serby' fellow is obviously one of Abe's old drinking buddies. Maybe he should have waited until he was sober before writing this.:cheers: Oh, and the part about Kimo was funny. He doesn't think Culpepper and Brady will be scared of him? Good. Can't wait to see the look on their faces when he plows them into the ground. Ask C.Palmer what he thinks. :ahhh:

Brady was not afraid of abe. Bellie just schemed to take him out of the game. This is a team game, and Abe for all his talent was a one dimensional prima donna. He was a physical specimine more concerned with his future earning potential, he was not a football player who whould have strapped it in and gone in when his tummy hurt. I am soo glad he is gone and once again Serby lives up to his nickname "Mr LOSER"

We are now significantly under the cap. Let's see what we can do.

Anyone think Mario is now the target in the draft? Over a QB?

I really don't think this is the year to go for the QB. I mean, we have three average QBs who can play. Teams can win with average QBs.

This is the year to get the core, the center, the offensive and defensive lines strong as well.

BZ

Well since the Post's writers think Herm Edwards is a top-5 coach, I feel free to dimiss anything they write.

Yeah had they been in Ancient Egypt they probley would have given the Pharaoh credit for building his own Pyramid with his bare hands!:rolleyes:

Yeah had they been in Ancient Egypt they probley would have given the Pharaoh credit for building his own Pyramid with his bare hands!:rolleyes:

The NY POST is a rag. Cannifatso is a horrible writer who glowers about his loss of Herm, Serby has a chip on his shoulder because the New Jets GM is younger than he is. Cimini, Lange and Berger are the best Jets Beat writers. Hutchinson is on the sauce..

LL

Before you criticize Manganbaum, you should look at who is REALLY the culprit here.

Herm Edwards is like the man who sleeps with your mother for a year, then robs your house and leaves when he finds a woman with more money. How him and Bradway handled Abe was completely disgusting. They franchised him with the promise of signing him to a long term deal, and then escaped and left us with the problem.

Mangenbaum did as well as he could with the situation. We all would have loved to get Schaub or a 15th overall, but Herm and Badway's ATROCIOUS "image posturing" allowed everyone to know how disgusted this guy was with the franchise and uninterested in playing here. In order to get some kind of deal for this guy we needed to be able to hold a Ace card of him possibly staying with the team. Everyone knew that was not an option.

Yea, that is one article everybody should take seriously. In the same artricle Serby kills the Jets for letting abe go because pass rushers dont grow on trees, then a few sentences later he says the Jets can draft a 290 pound DE who is a menace (Super Mario). Nice job Stevie.

Ofcourse, nowhere in the article he mentions the Jets save $8million in cap space and atleast have money to go out and get other players.

You hear all this nonsense about Abraham being a bad fit for Eric Mangini's new 3-4 defense. All I know is this: Daunte Culpepper is feeling a lot better today about being quarterback of the Dolphins. Because the Jets apparently think they can rattle him - and Tom Brady - with 35-year-old Kimo von Oelhoffen coming around the corner.

What a ridiculous statement. Even with my limited knowledge of Xs and Os, I know that when facing a 3-4 defense, it is not the DE but the OLB that the Quarterback has to worry about. If Kimo von Oelhoffen is going to play OLB then it is the first time I have heard about it.

They all know the internet, blogs and websites like these are crushing their careers, so they write crap to keep people reading.

BZ

that's what I was saying to ARod over on JI this morning-we're getting info in real time-better information than we get from them at any time of the day so they(the Jets beat writers)are pretty much becoming obsolete.It's an interesting dynamic-and I'm seeing it more and more in sports and politics-the two type of sites I visit daily.

Had occasion to look in the dictionary, and righ next to "a$$clown" is a photo of Steve Serby. Every one of his stories has either 1 of 2 themes-the Jets suck and are hopeless, or the Jets are great and winning the Super Bowl.

I wouldn't let Steve Serby pick up after a dog, make a paper airplane or run in place for fear he'd mess up those easy tasks .

There are no quick, easy fixes. It will take at least 2 seasons to get it close to right. And judging Mangini and Tannebaum is absurd. Can we at least get to camp before panicking?

You're right, it's the HOWARD STERN technique these days...

It really is.

They all know by writing provacative stuff, they get the fans worked up into a frenzy and linking to their articles. That creates traffic and they get a name.

It would be interesting to pose the question in the next chat to Cimini.

BZ

How could this possibly be a bad deal? The only other bidder was offering #31. He had plenty of opportunity here and it was high time he was sent packing. This could wind up a John Riggins type disaster, but the fact is, his time was up here. He never realized his full potential here but we're through waiting. Good riddance, John(s), we hardly knew ye.

How could this possibly be a bad deal? The only other bidder was offering #31. He had plenty of opportunity here and it was high time he was sent packing. This could wind up a John Riggins type disaster, but the fact is, his time was up here. He never realized his full potential here but we're through waiting. Good riddance, John(s), we hardly knew ye.

hey Tommy we got 6 years out of a #1 DP and 6 years later get another one for him-losing only 14 spots-not a bad bang for our bucks I'd say

Ityou can't argue with the fact Abraham was easily our most dangerous pass rusher and is a huge loss. The problem with the logic of the entire article is his injury history. It is a great deal for Atlanta until his first hastring, groin or whatever. I personally believe that his soft tissue muscles can not sustain the pressure he puts on them with his incredible speed for his size and wight. He will not be the first physical freak whose body keeps breaking down:lock:

Had occasion to look in the dictionary, and righ next to "a$$clown" is a photo of Steve Serby. Every one of his stories has either 1 of 2 themes-the Jets suck and are hopeless, or the Jets are great and winning the Super Bowl.

I wouldn't let Steve Serby pick up after a dog, make a paper airplane or run in place for fear he'd mess up those easy tasks .

There are no quick, easy fixes. It will take at least 2 seasons to get it close to right. And judging Mangini and Tannebaum is absurd. Can we at least get to camp before panicking?

:rl: :rl: :rl:

JETS' DEAL NO BARGAIN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Archives

Print Reprint

Feeds Newsletters

March 22, 2006 -- THE more things change, the more they remain the same with the Jets. John Abraham is a Falcon today, for the 29th pick in the NFL Draft, because the Jets went back on their word. They told him to stay on the field for an entire season, and then they'd gladly talk about a long-term contract. Abraham held up his end of the bargain. The Jets did not.

Right.

The rookie head coach and rookie GM Mike Tannenbaum have vowed to look under every rock for players who can lead the Jets back to respectability and beyond. Good luck finding one that has a pass rusher in Abraham's league beneath it.

There will be Jet fans happy that Abraham is gone. There was that playoff loss in Oakland when he was too sick to play. There was the off-the-field, alcohol-induced car wreck. Abraham buried that part of his past the way he buried quarterbacks when he was healthy.

Remember this: He started 64 games since Bill Parcells drafted him in 2000 and recorded 54 sacks and 18 forced fumbles. In other words, he was the modern-day Mark Gastineau, without the sack dance and without Brigitte Nielsen.

Why did the Falcons, and the Seahawks, and the Redskins, and the Broncos, who helped agents Tony Agnone and Rich Rosa broker the three-way deal, lust for Abraham? Here's why: Predators do not grow on trees.

Call this One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Abraham gets to play for a legitimate heavyweight contender instead of a tomato can. He gets to play close to his South Carolina home. He gets to play for an owner, Arthur Blank, and shrewd front-office executives named Rich McKay and Bill Devaney, who respected him enough to give him $18 million in guaranteed money. The deal is six years, $45 million. He gets to play opposite Patrick Kerney, which gives Jim Mora a pair of bookends you can mention in the same sentence as Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora, and Julius Peppers and Mike Rucker.

The Jets must now use the 29th pick, and their own fourth pick, in a package to entice the Saints to trade the No. 2 pick, so they can draft their next franchise quarterback, Matt Leinart. If the Saints don't bite, then Plan B for the Jets has to be defensive end Mario Williams, a 6-foot-7, 290-pound menace.

Abraham will be 28 years old in May. It means his best years are ahead of him. Lawrence Taylor, after all drugs and all the sleepless nights, went 12, 15.5, 15 and 10.5 in sacks from his seventh to 10th season. Strahan went 5.5, 9.5, 22.5, 11 and 18.5 from his seventh to 11th season. No one is comparing Abraham to either Giant Hall of Famer.

The point is, if you can get after the quarterback, you can do it into your 30s.

Abraham's teammates - specifically Shaun Ellis and Laveranues Coles - will miss him. He has grown up a lot. I like him as a person as much as I like him as a player. The Jets made the bed, and Abraham didn't want to sleep in it anymore, and I can't blame him.

The Jets wanted the 15th pick, didn't get it. The Jets wanted Matt Schaub, didn't get him. Only three years ago, the Jets had a franchise quarterback (Chad Pennington) and a premier pass rusher. When Woody Johnson woke up today, he didn't have either.

steve.serby@nypost.com

Archived