New York Mets 2023 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

I think the key is can the 2 great vet old starting  pitchers both paid top money on short term deals lead this team to the playoffs plus. That is the basis of Mets strategy. Doing this after top closer in league out for season. Right now doesn’t look good and Braves again look like best team in NL East by a lot. 

Someone I’m trying to follow is Daniel Murphy who recently came out of retirement to play with the LI Ducks. He’s 38 and retired after a partial season with the Rockies in 2021 hitting only .236 in 40 games. But in 2020 he was in 132 games with Colorado hit .279 with 13 hrs 78 rbis. So far best that I could figure Murphy in limited games so far is hitting about .300. Last year I went to a AAA game in Sugarland Texas the Space Cowboys vs Round Rock the Rangers AAA team. Matt Carpenter who’s 37 was on Round Rock played 1B that night. But a few weeks later he was signed by the Yankees and had a good year until he was injured. He’s on the Padres right now. So who knows keep your eyes on Murphy not impossible he could end up back in the majors. With the Mets?

On 5/5/2023 at 4:21 PM, Integrity28 said:

I still can’t get over all of the home-grown pitching going elsewhere and the Mets going with the Favre plan for SP. ugh.

This sucks something awful.  So bad.  Kind of funny actually, spend all that money to suck out loud.

On 5/5/2023 at 4:21 PM, Integrity28 said:

I still can’t get over all of the home-grown pitching going elsewhere and the Mets going with the Favre plan for SP. ugh.

I mean to be fair DeGrom is already on the IL and Thor is already on the outs in LA. The only guy they really screwed up with was Wheeler.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I mean to be fair DeGrom is already on the IL and Thor is already on the outs in LA. The only guy they really screwed up with was Wheeler.

Different circumstances, different outcomes. Hard to say it’d be the same if they stayed. 

23 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Different circumstances, different outcomes. Hard to say it’d be the same if they stayed. 

Not hard to say at all. Syndergaard was never the same after Tommy John and Jake hadn't had a healthy season for years. It's exactly why the Mets didn't pay them. Plenty of things to criticize the Mets for with this pitching staff but letting Thor and Jake go is not one of them.

• Upvote 2

On 5/4/2023 at 4:49 PM, Lith said:

Through 32 games, we have been shutout 6 times.  And we have allowed 50 HRs.  So aside from the hitting and the pitching, we might be pretty good.

Part of me likes that they might be headed towards being .500 at the break. Might make Uncle Stevie go all-in for Ohtani. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Not hard to say at all. Syndergaard was never the same after Tommy John and Jake hadn't had a healthy season for years. It's exactly why the Mets didn't pay them. Plenty of things to criticize the Mets for with this pitching staff but letting Thor and Jake go is not one of them.

Alright, fair enough. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/6/2023 at 8:39 PM, Integrity28 said:

Meh, those dudes were toast but the fact remains, the team sucks out loud.  Largely not competitive in the majority of their games.  They're not fun to watch, it's actually kind of sad to watch all these old fogies on their last leg.  As I've been saying, it's just a terribly constructed team.  It's like they just threw names out and said sure, sign them w/ no actual plan on how they make the team better.  Once again the top rated prospects are laughably bad and it doesnt matter how much Uncle Stevie spends, it's just an endless line of idiots who run this team.  They're so far from being able to actually compete w/ the good teams in the NL it's actually funny considering the amount of money being wasted to maybe go .500 on the year.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, JiF said:

Meh, those dudes were toast but the fact remains, the team sucks out loud.  Largely not competitive in the majority of their games.  They're not fun to watch, it's actually kind of sad to watch all these old fogies on their last leg.  As I've been saying, it's just a terribly constructed team.  It's like they just threw names out and said sure, sign them w/ no actual plan on how they make the team better.  Once again the top rated prospects are laughably bad and it doesnt matter how much Uncle Stevie spends, it's just an endless line of idiots who run this team.  They're so far from being able to actually compete w/ the good teams in the NL it's actually funny considering the amount of money being wasted to maybe go .500 on the year.

We need to hire whoever built the Braves.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Max is hurt again . WE ARE DOOMED .

semi-pro-pro.gif.45a0f9d137aa49752b6f0e43933d9f66.gif

Again or still.  Get used to it.  This is going to be the storyline of the season.  Injuries to our 40 year old starters.  It is almost as if it was a bad strategy to build a team around two aging arms and pay them ridiculous amounts of money.

Steroid era is over.  Guys can't compete into their late 30s and 40s anymore.  If you want to sign high priced FAs, it needs to be guys in their 20s.  Or better yet, make the investment in scouting and minor league development, be patient for a couple of years, and then spend to supplement a home grown team.  Its gonna be a long summer.

• Upvote 3

Went to the game at Wrigley last night.  A week ago, when I bought the tickets, and the team was struggling, I was counting on a nice evening to catch up with a friend I have not seen for several months and if the Mets play well, that would be a bonus.  But I had no illusions that I was going to see a good team.  After the 5 game winning streak, I really started to get excited about the game, but my outlook changed.  I really wanted to win.

Then the game starts, and they couldn't pitch.  couldn't hit.  couldn't catch.  couldn't throw the ball.  But for the winning streak, I probably would have been chilling out with my buddy with a couple of beers and laughing at the bad play.  Instead it was a long depressing night if bad baseball. 

• Upvote 1

Hard to watch these relievers get pummeled day in day out. They are absolutely atrocious. How could a team with the highest payroll in baseball have the worst middle relievers in the majors. They must make a trade to strengthen the bullpen. It’s beyond pathetic.