New York Mets 2023 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

I think what's become very clear the last few weeks is that, at least until the break, the Mets don't need Max and Verlander to be lights out guys. Just 6 innings a start and the rest of the team can take care of the rest. Again, at least for now. Once they (hopefully) get into the thick of the playoff hunt in August, that's a different story. 

The Canha and Escobar signings have turned out to be some interesting ones. High contracts for veteran depth, but at the same time how much of a blessing has it been to have those guys? Can't say everyone in the league would not only take the decrease in playing time with this level of class, but also really step up when the team needs them to. 

• Upvote 1

Look I'm not complaining about todays 4 solo Hrs. But that's all the runs they scored in a 6-4 L. And when you get solo Hrs that's what can happen. You're minimizing your offensive production. In other words when you get home runs you want to do it with runners on base. 

43 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look I'm not complaining about todays 4 solo Hrs. But that's all the runs they scored in a 6-4 L. And when you get solo Hrs that's what can happen. You're minimizing your offensive production. In other words when you get home runs you want to do it with runners on base. 

The Wire Roland Brice GIF

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Jake to 60-day IL. Oof. 

Yup.  This is why it was wise to let him walk.  Feel bad for the guy -- so much fun to watch him pitch.  But at nearly 35 years old heading into TJ surgery, he may be done.  Or at least his days as an ace may be at an end.

5 hours ago, Lith said:

Yup.  This is why it was wise to let him walk.  Feel bad for the guy -- so much fun to watch him pitch.  But at nearly 35 years old heading into TJ surgery, he may be done.  Or at least his days as an ace may be at an end.

The track record for performance after a second Tommy John is absolutely putrid. 

Say what you want about the Mets and injuries but their medical staff really helped the team dodge some bullets between DeGrom and Kumar Rocker. Ironically both going to the Rangers after the fact.

15 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Can someone explain to me the logic of Vogelbach still ******* playing? I don't understand the point of calling up Vientos if he can't even DH over a guy that's hitting .100 the last 3-4 weeks.

Buck has to be trolling at this point just because everyone hates Vogelbach so much.

Franchise is in a bad spot....again, its so so unbelievably disappointing that a hedge fund genius can not recognize the difference in building a team through massive investments in scouting as opposed to massive investments in free agents.

Cohen has been a disappointment as far as i'm concerned. Him bankrolling Chris Christie's inevitable 4 month presidential campaign is also a terrible look and makes me seriously question his judgement.

6 hours ago, Ruby2 said:

Buck has to be trolling at this point just because everyone hates Vogelbach so much.

Franchise is in a bad spot....again, its so so unbelievably disappointing that a hedge fund genius can not recognize the difference in building a team through massive investments in scouting as opposed to massive investments in free agents.

Cohen has been a disappointment as far as i'm concerned. Him bankrolling Chris Christie's inevitable 4 month presidential campaign is also a terrible look and makes me seriously question his judgement.

Eh, it's June. Not time to hit the panic button until August. Nobody needs to be dominant or even great in the regular season to get to the playoffs anymore. 

What hasn't Cohen done with the farm system since he bought the team that he should have been doing? Their drafts have been graded well and aside from the Rocker fiasco they've replenished a ton. They were ranked in the twenties when he took over and they're ranked 11th now. No farm system can be turned over in 2 years and all signs point to a heavy investment in scouting considering they knocked last year out of the park with Williams, Parada, Tidwell...etc. In fact all their top prospects except Mauricio are guys taken in the last 2 drafts.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Eh, it's June. Not time to hit the panic button until August. Nobody needs to be dominant or even great in the regular season to get to the playoffs anymore. 

What hasn't Cohen done with the farm system since he bought the team that he should have been doing? Their drafts have been graded well and aside from the Rocker fiasco they've replenished a ton. They were ranked in the twenties when he took over and they're ranked 11th now. No farm system can be turned over in 2 years and all signs point to a heavy investment in scouting considering they knocked last year out of the park with Williams, Parada, Tidwell...etc. In fact all their top prospects except Mauricio are guys taken in the last 2 drafts.

More or less agree, just dooming. I wanted the Cardinals and Braves front offices completely poached, lol.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Ruby2 said:

More or less agree, just dooming. I wanted the Cardinals and Braves front offices completely poached, lol.

I really hope that David Stearns is coming here, even though Cohen said he wasn't. Wait and see.

What Cohen inherited was a very incomplete team. They have been trying to patch holes with pricey veterans and a mix and match. It hasn't been pretty. Have to wait for this farm system some of the kids they recently drafted. That is a process. Team really needs to get some pitchers i the pipeline.

They just look awful at this point.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I really hope that David Stearns is coming here, even though Cohen said he wasn't. Wait and see.

What Cohen inherited was a very incomplete team. They have been trying to patch holes with pricey veterans and a mix and match. It hasn't been pretty. Have to wait for this farm system some of the kids they recently drafted. That is a process. Team really needs to get some pitchers i the pipeline.

They just look awful at this point.

Last night might be it for me for a while. I went to bed 10-7 and sure enough they blow it. Like how do they not have some other competent arms for the bullpen in the system? Verlander is even more done than Sherzer. This is going to be a long year. Sigh.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

Last night might be it for me for a while. I went to bed 10-7 and sure enough they blow it. Like how do they not have some other competent arms for the bullpen in the system? Verlander is even more done than Sherzer. This is going to be a long year. Sigh.

I am really starting to question Jeremy Hefner and his approach with pitchers. How can the be so awful in the 1st inning? The walks. The home runs given up. Megill has regressed. Peterson is now a head case. Really question what they were doing with the arms. The bullpen carried this team early, but being taxed so often with starters unable to even go five innings burned that crew out. 

Just yuch.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ruby2 said:

That was a very deflating series, for sure.  My only saving grace on this season is that I was seemingly wrong about the prospects, they've all been showing they belong, so that's something but yeah, this season is proper ****ed.  They cant compete w/ real teams.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am really starting to question Jeremy Hefner and his approach with pitchers. How can the be so awful in the 1st inning? The walks. The home runs given up. Megill has regressed. Peterson is now a head case. Really question what they were doing with the arms. The bullpen carried this team early, but being taxed so often with starters unable to even go five innings burned that crew out. 

Just yuch.

Their payroll for pitchers is larger than half the total payrolls of like half the teams in the league and they're 24th in pitching. Probably 25th after tonight.

• Upvote 2

On 6/8/2023 at 7:54 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

thing that scares me with the farm system is that we might trade some good guys at the deadline to try to make a run this year. were not getting anyone good without giving up a Veintos or even Baty. i think Alvarez is untouchable.

but if we dont give some of them up then it will be like last year. thats how you get Volgelback, Givens and Ruff.

cant trade those guys. just ride it out and get a bullpen next year. Epler show be fired today for putting together this team.

29 minutes ago, doitny said:

thing that scares me with the farm system is that we might trade some good guys at the deadline to try to make a run this year. were not getting anyone good without giving up a Veintos or even Baty. i think Alvarez is untouchable.

but if we dont give some of them up then it will be like last year. thats how you get Volgelback, Givens and Ruff.

cant trade those guys. just ride it out and get a bullpen next year. Epler show be fired today for putting together this team.

I don't know, maybe I'm being naive but if they were going to empty out the farm they already had opportunities to do that. I don't think they're interested in moving Baty at all unless it's in an Ohtani deal and that's a no-brainer anyways.

The thing is I'm not even sure what they were supposed to do otherwise with the pitching. They paid Diaz, they let DeGrom walk. Both the right move. Verlander had some logic behind it because he was coming off the second best year of his career. Senga looks like he'll fine. Early bad luck with injuries and the Max suspension combined with the bottom of the order completely farting out. Don't forget they lost the MVP of the team to the dumbest injury possible in March. It's all so, as Scott point, bizarre, because Peterson used to be OK enough and Megill certainly wasn't this useless. If you asked any Met fan at the end of last year if they'd be OK with Megill as their 5th or 6th starter I think most would have been fine with that. I don't know. This all seems like more a product of years of neglecting the pitching right before this new regime got here.

I mean, maybe they should have signed Kyle Gibson or something? Obviously Eovaldi but nobody saw this type of production coming. Good news is next year's FA class is stacked with pitching, i.e. Nola, Urias...etc.

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

LOLHunter dude is an embarrassment

The whole bullpen is an aberration.  Its just abominable. I knew they would get swept by the  Braves even when they were up several runs. Its just a matter time before the bullpen meltdowns and boom boom boom. Pathetic. 

16 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Just yuch.

Its just the beginning of June and they're burned out already? LOL They SUCK.  By begging of August we will be 20 -25 games out of first.  Look who they throwing out there. Hunter, Leone, Nagarsek. Three of the most average relievers in all of baseball. Drew Smith is dreaming of balls jumping over fences in his dreams.  Losing Diaz was the stake in teh heart. Season was over right there. It forced Robertson to be closer and Ovaladi to pitch the 8th. It has totally screwed up the bullpen's scheme.  But there are so many other problems with the way this team is made up its really sad.  They cant get on base, hit for average are slow and defensively, not very good.  And their starters have totally failed them and when they pitch well, the bullpen blows game after game. They will really need to clean this mess up next year and make some hard decisions because they need to upgrade, get younger, faster in several  areas. A lot of teams are up and coming and have a young nucleus of players on the rise.  

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

The Keith cycle game. Yeah saw that. As Archie and Edith would say, ‘Those were the days’. 

38 years ago.  Still remember it well.  Rick Camp HR in the bottom of the 18th to keep the game going.   Makes me feel old. 

Mostly because I am.

• Haha 2

It's a long season. The Mets are 4 games under .500 in a big team slump so it's not catastrophic yet and teams can and often do make turnarounds after bad starts. The thing with this team are the resources and salaries as compared to other teams and they are high. The main prob imo isn't just the inconsistent offense but mostly the pitching incl starting pitching. The good news is that if they do come back Diaz could return in Sept or Oct if they make the playoffs. As for Buck he's a really good manager and I don't think Cohen would fire him. But we're seeing in all pro sports good managers or coaches fired even if their teams had good seasons but didn't win a championship. 

54 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It's a long season. The Mets are 4 games under .500 in a big team slump so it's not catastrophic yet and teams can and often do make turnarounds after bad starts. The thing with this team are the resources and salaries as compared to other teams and they are high. The main prob imo isn't just the inconsistent offense but mostly the pitching incl starting pitching. The good news is that if they do come back Diaz could return in Sept or Oct if they make the playoffs. As for Buck he's a really good manager and I don't think Cohen would fire him. But we're seeing in all pro sports good managers or coaches fired even if their teams had good seasons but didn't win a championship. 

This season is OVER. It was over when Diaz got hurt. Verlander looks human as does Scherzer. Neither can go deep into games. McGil and Peterson have really hurt the pitching staff. Both have been terrible. The other SP they signed whose name I dont even know wont be back unitl August I hear.  Great.  The bullpen is horrible.  Their farm system has NO pitching. No one hits for average. Alonso is out for a month, probably more adding in the rehab. Baty is very average at 3rd base. He's got a ways to go both on offense and defense.  Lindor cant hit himself out a bag. McNeil also having a mediocre year. Alvarez is the bright spot. Kid is gonna be a star.  Buck aint going nowhere. Not his fault this is a lost season. It happens.  Next year will be a completely different look. Scherzer will be replaced by hopefully Shotoni and they supplement teh pitching staff with other FA's.   And they will have to revamp the bullpen. And get someone who can hit and can on base. Poor Nimmo. He must feel so alone. Its not an improbable makeover. Cohen is not afraid to spend.