Jets standing by QB Zach Wilson 'through hell or high water'

Bronx

well if these idiots couple their careers to the zach wilson train they deserve the firing they are going to get. if we don't bring in a qb for next year we oficially have the dumbest team management in the league currently.....and are possibly in the running for dumbest in the history of the league

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, chirorob said:

Saleh is becoming the worst thing you can be as a head coach.

A Talker.  A guy whose, "Gonna do this, and gonna do that."

But never actually does.  

Put that in your receipt book ya bald bastid.

He’s a con man. It’s been thoroughly revealed over this losing streak. At this point I’m almost rooting for 45-0 Dolphins and sending him packing on Black Monday.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Douglas: “We’ll get Zach out of your way, I just need you to put on a brave face and buy me some time”

Saleh: Gotcha!

<Press conference starts>

Saleh: Zach is great and we are sending him to the beach. 

In Breaking Bad when they killed off a character the cast would joke that they're being sent to Belize. Zach is getting sent to Belize.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Bronx said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35378674/jets-standing-qb-zach-wilson-hell-high-water

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets won't give up on quarterback Zach Wilson after only two seasons, according to coach Robert Saleh, who insisted Wednesday the organization will do everything "through hell or high water" to maximize his potential.

This was the Jets' strongest endorsement of Wilson, whose future has been the subject of intense speculation because of two benchings. Saleh said Wilson, who will be a healthy scratch Sunday against the Miami Dolphins, can begin his turnaround with a mental break from football as soon as the season is over.

"Go read a book, go do something, get away from this game, just reset," Saleh said. "I think the greatest gift you can give yourself as a human is to figure out what's important to you. What do you value and how can you stick to those values day in and day out?

"That is the greatest gift you can give yourself, is to discover yourself. I think Zach needs to get away, read a book and figure that out."

Saleh noted that Wilson is only 23 years old, an age when many players still are maturing. This has been a difficult year for the former BYU star, drafted second overall in 2021. He missed the first three games with a knee injury and got benched for the first time when the team was 6-4.

"Zach has all the talent in the world, and we have all the confidence in the world in him," Saleh said. "It's just, like I said, a reset. We're going to grind with him. We are. Through hell or high water, we're going to figure how to get him to where we know he can be."

The Jets (7-9), losers of five straight and mathematically eliminated last Sunday, haven't committed to Wilson as their 2023 starter. His rookie contract runs through 2024; he's due to make a total of $9.3 million (fully guaranteed) over the final two seasons.

The other two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster, Mike White and Joe Flacco, will be free agents. White, who will start the finale against the Dolphins, has displayed some promise in four starts this season (1-3), but the Jets might opt for a more proven commodity in 2023. Chances are, they will acquire a veteran from the off-season market.

"[He needs to] keep working," offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur said. "He's a New York Jet and that's not changing. That's the way my mindset is."

Both the coaches and Wilson himself have acknowledged that his fundamentals have slipped -- specifically, his footwork and balance. The plan after the first benching was to have him focus on his fundamentals, but he returned to action after only three weeks of inactivity due to White's rib injury.

Saleh said it's not a talent issue with Wilson, who sparked a firestorm by refusing to take accountability for a poor performance in a Nov. 20 loss to the New England Patriots -- the precursor to his first benching. An emotional Wilson later apologized to the team.

"We want to make sure we reconnect with Zach and regain his confidence -- regain his confidence in himself and us, and us and him, all of us," he said. "Just to make sure he's back on track, make sure his footwork is right, mechanics right, his mind right. It's not a talent thing for Zach. I believe that. We're going to work our tails off to help him, and we're committed to him."

It's rare for a team to move on from a highly drafted quarterback after only two seasons. Since 1998, only two top-10 quarterbacks lasted less than three years with the team that drafted them: Ryan Leaf (San Diego Chargers, No. 2 pick in 1998) and Josh Rosen (Arizona Cardinals, No. 10 pick in 2018).

In two seasons, Wilson has a 15-18 record as a starter, with 15 touchdowns, 18 interceptions, a 55% completion rate and only 4,022 passing yards. His QBR for the two seasons is 35.0, the lowest among 35 qualified passers.

This can't work unless Zach comes back and does a complete 180. He has to come back and get his completion  percentage  into the 65 range, needs to throw for about 300 yards a game, needs to throw the ball accurately,  stop throwing off his back foot, and play under control in the pocket.  

That is a lot to ask in one off season. This team is in win now mode. We can't  spend another season to see if Zach can be the guy. That was this season. The team is ready, Zach is not. 

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Because if you trade him you avoid paying him some money that you can give to another players that help your football team

At best you save $3.8M if you trade him after June....  I guess any little bit helps, but let's not act like this is a substantial amount of space you'll be freeing up.  Again, I just don't see the point UNLESS, like I said, you think keeping him on the roster does more harm than good.  

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Douglas: “We’ll get Zach out of your way, I just need you to put on a brave face and buy me some time”

Saleh: Gotcha!

<Press conference starts>

Saleh: Zach is great and we are sending him to the beach. 

And "the beach" is code for "The Texans".

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And "the beach" is code for "The Texans".

Beyond the humor it’s an interesting thought b/c after young and stroud there’s a drop off.  The Kentucky guy isn’t ready (not that wilson is).  But there will be teams who want young or stroud who lose out and maybe the jets can pawn wilson off for a 2nd and 4th like they did with darnold.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Beyond the humor it’s an interesting thought b/c after young and stroud there’s a drop off.  The Kentucky guy isn’t ready (not that wilson is).  But there will be teams who want young or stroud who lose out and maybe the jets can pawn wilson off for a 2nd and 4th like they did with darnold.  

@T0mShane has pointed out a few times that Wilson would likely be the highest-rated QB in the 2023 draft class, so its definitely not impossible.

There's always at least 1 team out there that thinks they can "fix" a guy.

• Upvote 3

Saleh has to say something. The cap dictates at least one more season of hoping he becomes an NFL QB. There really is no other play. JD got something for Darnold in a trade because it was the perception of some that Sam was torpedoed by the lack of talent around him and Sam actually had a handful of good games. Wilson does not have the luxury of that perception. So, with little trade value, the Jets are forced to give Wilson one more season. 

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Saleh has to say something. The cap dictates at least one more season of hoping he becomes an NFL QB. There really is no other play. JD got something for Darnold in a trade because it was the perception of some that Sam was torpedoed by the lack of talent around him and Sam actually had a handful of good games. Wilson does not have the luxury of that perception. So, with little trade value, the Jets are forced to give Wilson one more season. 

The paradox that saleh is in now is that he either says wilson sucks, or implies his failure is due to coaching.  If he says he sucks it is not only a terrible look for a hc but puts him at odds with the gm.  And since saleh clearly will protect MLF to the end, well.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The paradox that saleh is in now is that he either says wilson sucks, or implies his failure is due to coaching.  If he says he sucks it is not only a terrible look for a hc but puts him at odds with the gm.  And since saleh clearly will protect MLF to the end, well.

true and painting this as - Wilson has all the talent in the world, but needs to decide if football is important to him -- adds some level of protection to everyone in the organization.

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

true and painting this as - Wilson has all the talent in the world, but needs to decide if football is important to him -- adds some level of protection to everyone in the organization.

They’re setting up to trade him, and protecting his reputation all the while.  

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Can't trade a the second player taken in the draft when his trade value is as low as Wilson's is now. The financial numbers and trade value say, give him another season to prove himself.

We can trade him for a punter.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Can't trade a the second player taken in the draft when his trade value is as low as Wilson's is now. The financial numbers and trade value say, give him another season to prove himself.

In concept i agree, but the problem with this situation is that the regime is setting it up so he won’t have a chance to prove himself next season.  If they bring in carr he plays every game.  Wilson may not even dress. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

In concept i agree, but the problem with this situation is that the regime is setting it up so he won’t have a chance to prove himself next season.  If they bring in carr he plays every game.  Wilson may not even dress. 

But they won’t need to worry about Zach doing well with his next team.  Self preservation baby!! 

I don't think Woody shares his viewpoint. Watch for leakage Sunday night regarding the direction and employment status of some in the organization. I believe phone calls have already been made in that regard to possible successors. Saleh might already know that and is drawing a line. As I stated in a thread, Woody's silence this week is telling.  

5 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

I don't think Woody shares his viewpoint. Watch for leakage Sunday night regarding the direction and employment status of some in the organization. I believe phone calls have already been made in that regard to possible successors. Saleh might already know that and is drawing a line. As I stated in a thread, Woody's silence this week is telling.  

Is this based on anything or purely your opinion?

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

That is a valid concern, but if recency bias plays a huge role in these things….if Zach sits all year behind a vet then the narrative surrounding him can be “he sat for a year and learned” which could in theory improve trade value.

On the flip side, will “Wilson’s presence and the staffs desire to get him game action” deter established vet Qb from coming here?  The minute they start to stink, the staff will want to get Zach on the field.  Will a situation like that deter someone like Carr from coming here? Will we need to go the “up and comer prove it guy” like Minshew vs. the “established vet starter” route like Carr?

13 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

I think you might be getting your hopes up. If they get absolutely embarrassed in Miami, I could maybe see it. But Saleh is most likely gonna be here. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Is this based on anything or purely your opinion?

It's an opinion like everything else here. That said, I follow the dots that I see are being laid out and connect them to a logical conclusion. That leads me to conclude that there will changes made as per Woody's right as an owner and that the folks who think that the status quo will remain so and everyone will be given another year to figure it out are incorrect. Whether Saleh will accept that if it involves MLF is the wild card here. Many are fond of saying he is a deeply principled man...well, we shall see soon enough. I think Twitter will be active Sunday night and Monday morning as Woody will quietly be seeding the reportage at that time.

I do believe if he felt that the ship were on the right course, he would have made that known this week. He hasn't and that is another dot to connect.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

It's an opinion like everything else here. That said, I follow the dots that I see are being laid out and connect them to a logical conclusion. That leads me to conclude that there will changes made as per Woody's right as an owner and that the folks who think that the status quo will remain so and everyone will be given another year to figure it out are incorrect. Whether Saleh will accept that if it involves MLF is the wild card here. Many are fond of saying he is a man deeply principled man...well, we shall see soon enough. I think Twitter will be active Sunday night and Monday morning as Woody will quietly be seeding the reportage at that time.

I do believe if he felt that the ship were on the right course, he would have made that known this week. He hasn't and that is another dot to connect.  

An interesting point you bring up is that in the past woody has spoken out to support a coach. Nothing so far in that regard. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@T0mShane has pointed out a few times that Wilson would likely be the highest-rated QB in the 2023 draft class, so its definitely not impossible.

There's always at least 1 team out there that thinks they can "fix" a guy.

Definitely, but I think it's very plausible that Joe Douglas is at the top of the list of guys who think Wilson can be fixed. 

People bring up the fact that he traded Sam after hyping him up, but the thing is, all indications are that he really was going to keep Sam. That was a unique situation because we had the #2 overall pick and Douglas fell in love with Zach Wilson. We most likely aren't going to be staring at a sexy, high upside QB picking in the low teens. 

I don't know what the Jets are going to do and I could absolutely see Wilson being traded, but I also think there is a distinct possibility he's on this roster in training camp. 

• Ugh 1

38 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Woody is a dumbass and part of the problem if the leaks are true.  Hiring a competent QB coach is coddling?  Way to protect your investment genius lol.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

His offense has scored 3 touchdowns since November (!)

I would say he hasn't done his job with a lot of guys. Zach Wilson s*cking is the least of his worries right now. 

The problem the coaches have is they’re fighting multiple fronts.  They have to explain why wilson sucks, but now they also have to explain why white has regressed, and why the wrs aren’t getting the ball.  Why the run game sucks.  Saleh implied that all of the offensive woes would be solved by deactivating wilson and playing white, but now he’s got nothing.  And MLF is clearly in self preservation mode saying wilson has to meet them halfway.  Way to destroy the guy’s trade value while not defending your players. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Don't asssume what other people in the NFL think he's worth.  There may actually be meglomaniacs who think that Saleh and Lefleur are incompetent and they can turn him into something of value.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

At best you save $3.8M if you trade him after June....  I guess any little bit helps, but let's not act like this is a substantial amount of space you'll be freeing up.  Again, I just don't see the point UNLESS, like I said, you think keeping him on the roster does more harm than good.  

I think he will never be anything and his trade value will be lower next off season. So you have to factor in his ‘23 and ‘24 salaries and the opportunity cost of less trade value next year. Both of which are worth more than him sucking up a roster spot.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

BYU defenders: “not his fault Jets don’t know how to develop QBs”

Also BYU defenders: “Jets shouldn’t get rid of him — give him another year to develop.”

Which is it?

They should trade him to an organization that thinks he has value because they have the coaching tools to develop him.