Reminder: We're Not Unique in how we Think About the Offseason

Warfish

We gets dibs though, because we've waited for the playoffs longer than anyone else.

In seriousness though, all of the above is why we have to start over... again. Saleh and JD have done some nice things. But the QB situation, which as you point out is very difficult, overrules all of it. It wasn't just a mistake to draft Zach. Most teams would have made the same choice. The bigger overall problem is that there was not a good plan in place to develop him into an NFL QB. You can blame the OC or the tragedy of the QB coach this summer, but the GM and the HC own this above all others. 

The good draft and the turnaround on defense are nice stories. They mean nothing, however, in the face of the fact that to compete in the AFC over the next decade, you have to beat Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lawrence, Herbert... I have no faith in this staff to find and develop the right guy and to do it correctly when they botched this shot at #2 so, so badly.

• Upvote 2

The offseason, the draft, training are all part of the competition.  Joe Douglas is a great GM compared to Mac.  Saleh is a great HC compared to Gase.  Unfortunately the Jets don't play teams where the roster was put together by Mac or coached by Gase.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I get what you're saying, but I think the one thing we have going for us is the connection to Jimmy.  If we can meet with him and convince him that we're going to invest heavy into the OL and protect him, you'd assume the coaching staff connection and the weapons we have on offense(plus the makings of a great defense to keep him on the field) would be enough to make us a pretty attractive destination to him.

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Was listening to D.C. Sports radio this morning on my commute, and it's worth reminding folks that every idea we have here, EVERY fanbase who missed the playoffs and/or does not have a franchise QB is also thinking about/advocating.

We want Carr?  So do some 'Ders fans.

We what White (or his functional equivalent in Heinike)?  So do 'Der's fans.

Want to trade up for a top 2023 draft QB?  So do 'Ders fans.

What to hold fast and draft the 3rd rated QB at like, pick 10?  So do 'Der's Fans.

We want Sean Payton and want to give him all the power?  Yup, so do 'Ders fans.

Etc. :lol:

Point being this:  Every team that is in the same spot as our team, and there are several, their Owners, GM's, Coaches and Fans are all thinking and saying the same things as us, exploring the same options as us, and dreaming the same dreams as us as we enter the offseason.

There will be several teams inquiring about Carr/Jimmy G, and willing to overpay for/to them

There will be several teams trying to trade up, desperate for a QB.

All these possible options we like will be chased by several teams, raising the cost well beyond the pure trade value of the assets in question.  Cost bloat is real.

And the competition will be real.  We may want Carr, as an example, just like some of us wanted Cousins.....but we didn't get Cousins.  And we likely won't get Carr, even if we all wanted him.  Someone will outbid JD, who isn't known for overspending in his career so far.

Same goes for Jimmy G, trading up to #1, or trying to pry Rodgers from Green Bay (lol).

Dream big, the offseason, like buying a lottery ticket, is all about daydreams and fantasies......

But remember that's all most of these ideas are, fantasies.  In the real world, it's vastly harder to make these things happen in a capped league, 

Our route to a good QB, and a better season, is going to be hard.  There are no easy answers, or quick fixes in the NFL, and nothing comes without having to out-bid five other desperate teams to get it.

All true but these QBs will sign somewhere, they’re all not signing with LV.  Not even sure what’s overly appealing about Vegas.  McDaniels?  The rest of that team all that better than the Jets outside of TE?   They got much better QB play than the Jets and finished behind the Jets.

• Upvote 1

Also, just an aside, it is amazing to me how similar the Washington 'Ders and NY Jets actually are.

Same strengths, same weaknesses, same desperations, same plans for this offseason, same complaints about Ownership.

It's eerie actually, at least for me living here and loving the Jets.  Duplicate images of each other, even if some of the details are different (Saleh is a rookie, Rivera a Vet, both not so great and not loved by fans, Wilson a young #2 pick, Wentz and older high pick, both busted hard when they were counted on to change the game for each city, both teams dominated by good Defenses, Jets by a DT and a CB, 'Ders by their D-Line more than anything).

Local word this morning, an Ownership change might shocking happen much faster than anyone thinks.  Like within weeks, and pre-Super Bowl.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Mandates are like lines in the sand.  Always the wrong move.  

Almost half the teams in the league make the playoffs now. 14 of 32. If the Jets don't land in the playoffs next year, it will be either a stagnation or a regression. Fifth year for the GM, third for the coach, and either of those are unacceptable. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

100%. A dozen fanbases woke up this morning and said “we’re just a QB away!”

Fact and sadly, I dont think this actually applies to the NY Jets.  The roster is dog sh*t.   Who do the Jets actually have outside of G. Wilson?  Everyone else sucks ball sack.  Oh wait, sorry, they have a guard coming of injury, whoopity doo! like how sad is that?  What fanbase, is like...yo!  peep our talent, we got this WR and this guard, bro, we're trending!!!!  We have no idea what Hall is...he was a flash in the pan for a few games before a devastating injury that could take years to recover from, if ever.  We all thought Michael Carter was good and he regressed to dog sh*t.

Sad reality; the Jets need a lot more than some sh*tty veteran QB who is available for a reason

3 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Fact and sadly, I dont think this actually applies to the NY Jets.  The roster is dog sh*t.   Who do the Jets actually have outside of G. Wilson?  Everyone else sucks ball sack.  Oh wait, sorry, they have a guard coming of injury, whoopity doo! like how sad is that?  What fanbase, is like...yo!  peep our talent, we got this WR and this guard, bro, we're trending!!!!  We have no idea what Hall is...he was a flash in the pan for a few games before a devastating injury that could take years to recover from, if ever.  We all thought Michael Carter was good and he regressed to dog sh*t.

Sad reality; the Jets need a lot more than some sh*tty veteran QB who is available for a reason

Couldn’t even include sauce?

4 minutes ago, freestater said:

Almost half the teams in the league make the playoffs now. 14 of 32. If the Jets don't land in the playoffs next year, it will be either a stagnation or a regression. Fifth year for the GM, third for the coach, and either of those are unacceptable. 

The goal is to improve the team.  Firing people without a plan to improve the team is a very bad move.  Woody has done this several times without a plan.  

Do you really think Joe D or Saleh are going to raise their ability to improve the team based on a playoff mandate?   I suspect more and better systems, scouting, coaches and trainers are likely to have more impact.  I'm sure these guys are restrained by budgets that Woody in conjunction with his finance guys has put in place.  That includes salaries.  

the 2023 New York Jets should have a playoff mandate. Plain and simple. Make the playoffs or pack your bags. 
We've heard this over and over but should we be satisfied just making the playoffs? This league along with injuries can change the fortune of franchises very quickly... we need a championship mandate

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Dog sh*t is a bit strong. I wouldn't say superbowl, just a qb away ready but not dog sh*t. Somewhere in between that.

5 minutes ago, JiFields said:

I'm higher on the roster than you, but without good QB play it ultimately doesn't matter, as we just saw over the last month and a half.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Dog sh*t is a bit strong. I wouldn't say superbowl, just a qb away ready but not dog sh*t. Somewhere in between that.

The offense is pure and utter, dog sh*t.  Again, 12/18/22...the last time they scored a TD.  The return of a G, doesnt suddenly change that fact.

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If I may offer an alternative detailed intricate plan:

QB QB QB O-Line LB QB QB QB O-Line DT

Thanks!

Indeed.  Though, with the expected return of AVT, it makes the OL look a lot better,  They have plenty of interior lineman and AVT can play RT.  If they can find one more good tackle, they can filed a decent line so long as the injury bug does not strike.

So, I make a counter proposal.

QB QB QB QB O-Line QB QB