Screw it, I want Young

bonkertons

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but **** it...I like this kid a lot.  I get the height concerns but everything about his game screams NFL stud to me.  Mainly his poise and decision making, basically the anti-Zach.

I don't know - trading two 1sts for 2 years of Rodgers or trading three 1sts for a decade+ of Young, potentially a franchise QB....I go with the kid.  I had previously been on board with waiting for next year's crop, but it's pretty clear that if we get Rodgers that pick is gone, or at best it's in the 20's and there is no chance of moving up.  Not to mention how rarely the 1st overall is in play.  I think we have a chance this year to right the wrong.  

Not to mention if you draft Young, you should still be able to afford a high-end backup.  Whether it's Tannehill or even Jimmy G.  Lawrence's cap hit is $10M so I'm assuming Young's would be similar.  

I know this won't be a popular route to take, but I really think we should consider it.  This whole situation just reminds me a lot of the 2017 draft.  A year where we obviously needed a QB but for one reason or another, just didn't consider the draft as an option.  We preferred to wait until 2018 while seeing what we had in Hackenberg.  We ended up missing out on Mahomes and Watson because of this strategy. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

41 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

It’s weird because I would say any other year, this would 100% be the move to make. It’s just because we came off 2 seasons of a failed number 2 overall pick that we now have to go the opposite, the veteran. 

But imo, why wait? It’s not often the number 1 pick becomes available. Strike while you can. 

If it was Caleb Williams who was available then absolutely.  Putting aside his ability (and I haven't watched much of him), I don't think Bryce Young has the size to hold up in the NFL.

The size is definitely a concern. Imo it’s really the only thing that makes him a risk, which is actually kind of a nice change from the “is he actually good enough” risk. 

But yeah I get why most people wouldn’t be in favor of this. Hell, I wouldn’t be in favor of it if Rodgers only cost a fraction of what people are speculating, or if we didn’t have to trade for and then hand a ridiculous contract to Carr. I just think this year would make sense to roll the dice, especially if people already seem to be on board with trading multiple firsts in other deals. 

Trade for Young, sign and start Tanny, promote Young when the time is right. Trade Zach next offseason(or now I guess if it’s too weird to hold onto him after doing this). 

I know people that Ive talked to recently that would be absolutely shocked if CJ Stroud isnt the first QB off the board come draft time.  

The direct quote was "would be the biggest upset in the draft in recent years if Stroud isnt the first QB taken"

Cited a few teams that were already smitten with stroud.

Take all of that for what its worth. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I know people that Ive talked to recently that would be absolutely shocked if CJ Stroud isnt the first QB off the board come draft time.  

The direct quote was "would be the biggest upset in the draft in recent years if Stroud isnt the first QB taken"

Bold statement. Biggest upset in recent years? It's not like Young is some schlep. 

Either way - I assume Stroud and Young are 1 and 2 with Texans taking whoever is not 1. 

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Piggybacking off of this, I was going to say I don’t think Young at 1.1 is any lock. If they like him see if he slides a little then make a more manageable move.

No chance I'm trading future picks to move up but I'm not against drafting one of the top 3 QBs if one falls to 13....that's the range a lot of the QBs who pan out are taken anyway....Will Levis Anthony Richardson will probably turn out to be the best QBs in the draft anyway.

After watching him play in the Playoffs this year, I would put Stroud ahead of Young.  Going into the game against OSU, I thought as long as we could pressure Stroud, we would be fine, but he showed me something I did not think he had.  Ability not just to run, but to make plays off platform when the protection broke down.  Maybe it was just one fluky game, but I am taking Stroud ahead of Young.

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

My preferred order of QB management - 

1. Rodgers or Carr 

2. Jimmy G. or Tannehill WITH Herndon Hooker pick

3. Tank

But what we'll get is probably 2b which would be Baker Mayfield leading us to 8 wins and no mans land in the draft. 

Think the rest of the team is too talented to tank. Defense alone is too good. Not that they’ll make the playoffs but last year was 7-10 with horrific QB play. 

• Upvote 2

I don't think that anybody associated with this team is in a position to tank.  The coaching staff is on thin ice and just had their OC and senior assitant (OL coach and run game coordinator) canned.  Tanking on top of the 2022 collapse would be horrible for their career prospects.  The GM tanked 3 seasons ago.  You don't survive ******* that up.  One tank a decade maybe.  Losing a meaningless game at the end of the year for draft position maybe, but 2 tanks in a 4 year period?  So that you can draft your 3rd tiop 5 QB in six years?  I like Douglas, but I can his fat ass immediately if that is the plan. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

Piggybacking off of this, I was going to say I don’t think Young at 1.1 is any lock. If they like him see if he slides a little then make a more manageable move.

I have heard of 2 teams so far that I have been told are EXTREMELY high on Stroud. 1 team is in the running to take him, the other unfortunately sounds like the ownership will look to prevent it. 

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Bold statement. Biggest upset in recent years? It's not like Young is some schlep. 

Either way - I assume Stroud and Young are 1 and 2 with Texans taking whoever is not 1. 

I think it was more aimed at there is a distinct difference between how many teams are viewing stroud over young at this point.  According to this person its an overwhelming majority that prefer Stroud especially key teams at the top of the draft.  So if young were to go first it would be seen as a very big surprise.  

Again take it for what its worth. 

On 2/8/2023 at 4:42 PM, bonkertons said:

I don't know - trading two 1sts for 2 years of Rodgers or trading three 1sts for a decade+ of Young, potentially a franchise QB....I go with the kid.  I had previously been on board with waiting for next year's crop, but it's pretty clear that if we get Rodgers that pick is gone, or at best it's in the 20's and there is no chance of moving up.  Not to mention how rarely the 1st overall is in play.  I think we have a chance this year to right the wrong.  

The thing is, and this is a major factor for me, Rodgers WILL NOT cost two first round picks. He just wont. GB will be lucky to get a 1st and will most likely end up with a 2nd rounder + change and/or accelerators- like an extra draft pick if we make it to the playoffs or the 2nd turns into a 1st if we make it to the SB (which would obviously be a very low 1st round pick).

Moving up from 13 to first overall, as you said, would cost a ton. EASILY x3 first round picks, probably more. Is Young that kind of 'generational' talent worth giving up massive draft capital. IMHO- no. And if he takes time to develop, like most rookies do, we might just miss this window of opportunity where we have a really good defense and some impact skill players on offense. 

If you want to draft a top QB prospect, I would go after the #3 QB out of the top 3- Young, Stroud and Levis. To me, they are all wild cards at this point. But one will most likely drop to within reach. If Young is the first QB to go, the Jets could probably move up to 6 and snag one of Stroud or Levis (assuming the Colts draft a QB at 4).  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, PepPep said:

The thing is, and this is a major factor for me, Rodgers WILL NOT cost two first round picks. He just wont. GB will be lucky to get a 1st and will most likely end up with a 2nd rounder + change and/or accelerators- like an extra draft pick if we make it to the playoffs or the 2nd turns into a 1st if we make it to the SB (which would obviously be a very low 1st round pick).

Moving up from 13 to first overall, as you said, would cost a ton. EASILY x3 first round picks, probably more. Is Young that kind of 'generational' talent worth giving up massive draft capital. IMHO- no. And if he takes time to develop, like most rookies do, we might just miss this window of opportunity where we have a really good defense and some impact skill players on offense. 

If you want to draft a top QB prospect, I would go after the #3 QB out of the top 3- Young, Stroud and Levis. To me, they are all wild cards at this point. But one will most likely drop to within reach. If Young is the first QB to go, the Jets could probably move up to 6 and snag one of Stroud or Levis (assuming the Colts draft a QB at 4).  

If that's the case then I'm 100% on board with Rodgers.  I'd pay the '23 2nd + '24 2nd(1st if we reach the SB), no problem.  But yeah, the media seems pretty confident on this man costing a 1st.  One mock I read recently had Vegas giving them their 1st(7th overall) and 2nd this year PLUS their 1st next year....I couldn't even imagine paying that.  

But absolutely - if what you say is the cost then that obviously changes things for me. 

I heard about the weight concerns and thought about JaMarcus Russell immediately. I dunno - I haven't done any homework on 1st round QBs at all because it's a bit unrealistic but if you ignore all the red flags and lets say they end up being nothing, then yes, I see what you're seeing. Still. More than 1 red flag 

image.thumb.png.847880302df0b11201753af32a10a880.png

The attached chart was published here around the time Manziel was being drafted.

The accompanying article here... a good read, still relevant.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/worry-about-johnny-manziels-weight-not-his-height/

It's not proof or a definitive conclusion, but it's noteworthy.

Bryce Young, I believe, is weighing in at 194lbs

On 2/8/2023 at 9:42 PM, bonkertons said:

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but **** it...I like this kid a lot.  I get the height concerns but everything about his game screams NFL stud to me.  Mainly his poise and decision making, basically the anti-Zach.

Not to mention if you draft Young, you should still be able to afford a high-end backup.  Whether it's Tannehill or even Jimmy G.  Lawrence's cap hit is $10M so I'm assuming Young's would be similar.  

I know this won't be a popular route to take, but I really think we should consider it.  This whole situation just reminds me a lot of the 2017 draft.  A year where we obviously needed a QB but for one reason or another, just didn't consider the draft as an option.  We preferred to wait until 2018 while seeing what we had in Hackenberg.  We ended up missing out on Mahomes and Watson because of this strategy. 

QB in round 1 isn't happening unless huge trade down.  Zero chance.