Should the Jets draft Anthony Richardson?

I tihnk his floor, as a passer, is pretty low.  He has the tools and can run, but not every inaccurate college QB with tools will turn into Josh Allen.  I really don't see us rolling the dice on a guy like Richardson at 13.  If we do get a Carr or Rodgers (and we keep our 1), I think we are going to draft a guy at 13 who can help us win now and not a project who is likely to sit on the bench for most of two seasons.

If he goes to the right place, he may be very good some day.  Or he may be Hackenburg with legs.  Low floor, high celing in my view.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Lith said:

I tihnk his floor, as a passer, is pretty low.  He has the tools and can run, but not every inaccurate college QB with tools will turn into Josh Allen.  I really don't see us rolling the dice on a guy like Richardson at 13.  If we do get a Carr or Rodgers (and we keep our 1), I think we are going to draft a guy at 13 who can help us win now and not a project who is likely to sit on the bench for most of two seasons.

If he goes to the right place, he may be very good some day.  Or he may be Hackenburg with legs.  Low floor, high celing in my view.

It may be time to take a break on drafting Qb’s. We’ve had better luck signing players in FA. In the meantime try and develop Zach. I didn’t even bother with Hackenburg

image.thumb.png.caaba35b784efd0ee2964b2270e74f9f.png

image.thumb.png.5be894e247220a150db3b837bac81ed6.png

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

It may be time to take a break on drafting Qb’s. We’ve had better luck signing players in FA. In the meantime try and develop Zach. I didn’t even bother with Hackenburg

I find myself wondering who these FA QBs we've had luck with are.  

A cup of coffee with Favre.  Most of one season with Fitzmagic.  Did I miss anyone?

He's a project. 

I'm hoping JD can get at least two trades (down for extra picks) in this draft, which has a plethora of offensive linemen in the 4th through 7th round. 

With 1 or two extra picks, I think Stetson Bennett or Clayton Thune can be ours, and both of them I think have just as much NFL potential as Richardson. 

If JD can trade down from 13 and still stay in the first round, take the BAP, it will most likely be a WR or OT.

Sanchez was bad but on a good team had two AFCCG appearances because it’s so much easier to build a loaded team around a QB on a rookie deal. We just forget the rookie QB advantage because the recent draft picks have been so bad. But drafting a QB raises the ceiling if you hit on a franchise guy and also allow the team to be competitive even if you don’t.

Part of the trick is not just handing the guy a job and making sure he gets development time if he’s not ready, too. Need to have a viable alternative.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

It may be time to take a break on drafting Qb’s. We’ve had better luck signing players in FA. In the meantime try and develop Zach.

If you mean a one or two year break, then I agree.  Otherwise, I don't think it is ever time to break on drafting QBs -- unless you already have a Mahomes/Allen/Burrow on your roster. 

Even if sign Carr or acquire Rodgers, we still need to look for a long term solution in the draft.  If we end up with Rodgers, we likley only have a two year window with him.  I would think we use this year's picks to help the team now.  But next year, a QB imo should be in play, when he is not going to be under pressure to play immediately.  Window with Carr is a bit longer.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I find myself wondering who these FA QBs we've had luck with are.  

A cup of coffee with Favre.  Most of one season with Fitzmagic.  Did I miss anyone?

In 2007, Pennington got hurt and was replaced by Kellen Clemens.  Since then, the best QB play over 16 seasons has been Favre (pre-injury), Fitz and McCown, who was decent despite a horrifically bad roster. 

I am so ready for a proven vet.

56 minutes ago, Lith said:

If you mean a one or two year break, then I agreeBut next year, a QB imo should be in play, when he is not going to be under pressure to play immediately.  Window with Carr is a bit longer.

Yes, a temporary break this year, and perhaps next year, if they see ZW reborn into a confident & intelligent QB this summer and beyond. This of course is if AR signed. If Carr is signed to a 4 year deal then I’d keep investing in the rest of the team.

Listen up and listen good. 

I've entertained this thought myself, but as much as it would be nice to see a talented rookie QB waiting in the wings and/or competing with Zach while we are in good hands with a competent veteran starter, there is no way JD is using the 13th pick on a QB. 

The Jets will get a veteran who can compete come hell or high water this offseason and they will use their draft capital to support him and plug any holes left after FA. All to make a run in 2023. 

Almost any other scenario I can think of is more likely than the Jets drafting a QB at 13. Maybe on day 3. Not at 13. 

5 hours ago, PepPep said:

Listen up and listen good. 

I've entertained this thought myself, but as much as it would be nice to see a talented rookie QB waiting in the wings and/or competing with Zach while we are in good hands with a competent veteran starter, there is no way JD is using the 13th pick on a QB. 

The Jets will get a veteran who can compete come hell or high water this offseason and they will use their draft capital to support him and plug any holes left after FA. All to make a run in 2023. 

Almost any other scenario I can think of is more likely than the Jets drafting a QB at 13. Maybe on day 3. Not at 13. 

If we get Rodgers or Lamar then I agree, skip QB at 13 because we need to load up for a SB run.

If we get Carr - Garoppolo - Tannehill chances are we aren’t winning a SB so lets draft a QB, have them sit and learn (along with Zack) continue to build the team and see who can take the reigns in a couple years

Jets won't be taking him, but man, if he lands in the right situation where a team is committed to forcefully sitting him down for a season (or 2) to focus on improving the coachable areas of his game - footwork, timing, rhythm, short-to-intermediate passing - this guy is going to be a rockstar. 

There's a lot of buzz around him right now and there are a few unique situations I can see happening with him. 

I don't know anyone in Seattle, but my cousin keeps telling me that he'll get drafted by them if there. They love freaks like him and would have no shame developing him behind Geno for a few years. Carolina is another. In a world where Rodgers returned to GB and the Packers moved Jordan Love, it wouldn't surprise me if they tried trading up for him as well (assuming Rodgers green lit it). 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, football guy said:

Jets won't be taking him, but man, if he lands in the right situation where a team is committed to forcefully sitting him down for a season (or 2) to focus on improving the coachable areas of his game - footwork, timing, rhythm, short-to-intermediate passing - this guy is going to be a rockstar. 

There's a lot of buzz around him right now and there are a few unique situations I can see happening with him. 

I don't know anyone in Seattle, but my cousin keeps telling me that he'll get drafted by them if there. They love freaks like him and would have no shame developing him behind Geno for a few years. Carolina is another. In a world where Rodgers returned to GB and the Packers moved Jordan Love, it wouldn't surprise me if they tried trading up for him as well (assuming Rodgers green lit it). 

May not be on the table but I think he’d tear it up in Detroit. Great OL, good receivers, time to sit behind Goff, and a creative coaching staff (at least for now). Seattle makes sense too.

I still genuinely believe almost all QB’s should sit. Seems Richardson will get that time, and he’s a freak. I think he’ll work out.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, derp said:

May not be on the table but I think he’d tear it up in Detroit. Great OL, good receivers, time to sit behind Goff, and a creative coaching staff (at least for now). Seattle makes sense too.

I still genuinely believe almost all QB’s should sit. Seems Richardson will get that time, and he’s a freak. I think he’ll work out.

The only reason why Detroit may hesitate is because that offensive staff may get gutted next offseason (Ben Johnson likely going to be the next big-time hire).

I couldn't agree more with the second part too. I think we're going to start seeing teams take this route more often because the supply is starting to outweigh the demand, specifically for veterans. The Carr/Jimmy G/Brissett situations this year, Garoppolo/Baker last year, Dalton before that... these guys are all very capable starters that teams would highly value on the open market in the past, but now you're seeing less willingness to commit to guys that aren't "special"... not everyone is going to be Burrow coming out, so the best way to make sure you foster a talented QB is by being patient with that player and developing them, as the Chiefs did with Mahomes and the Eagles did with Hurts. It's a copycat league that is constantly repeating itself, and I think more teams will take the approach while looking to add more of the ready starters on 1-to-2 year deals to serve as placeholders and revert back to the old fashion way of sitting QBs before starting them. I wouldn't rule it out in Houston either... they're in on Garoppolo and they could take the same approach themselves. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, football guy said:

The only reason why Detroit may hesitate is because that offensive staff may get gutted next offseason (Ben Johnson likely going to be the next big-time hire).

I couldn't agree more with the second part too. I think we're going to start seeing teams take this route more often because the supply is starting to outweigh the demand, specifically for veterans. The Carr/Jimmy G/Brissett situations this year, Garoppolo/Baker last year, Dalton before that... these guys are all very capable starters that teams would highly value on the open market in the past, but now you're seeing less willingness to commit to guys that aren't "special"... not everyone is going to be Burrow coming out, so the best way to make sure you foster a talented QB is by being patient with that player and developing them, as the Chiefs did with Mahomes and the Eagles did with Hurts. It's a copycat league that is constantly repeating itself, and I think more teams will take the approach while looking to add more of the ready starters on 1-to-2 year deals to serve as placeholders and revert back to the old fashion way of sitting QBs before starting them. I wouldn't rule it out in Houston either... they're in on Garoppolo and they could take the same approach themselves. 

Can you forward this to the dopes that run the Jets?

The people that love Richardson love fields, and adore lamar jackson.

If the league is about running around as a QB these guys are elite, if it is passing and winning, not so much.  (And I say this liking lamar, at least he has shown ability at times to pass and run effectively.)

Yes.  He needs time to develop but he is a good QB.  He plays hero ball sometimes, but his abilities as a QB are great.  He needs to continue to work on his mechanics but he showed flashes in the beginning of the season that he is capable of improving.

NO WAY!!  He is an athlete trying to be a QB not a QB who is an athlete. We have seen amazing athletes fail at this position. But non athletes like a Tom Brady and Drew Brees become all time greats. Yes it is easier every year in this NFL that athletic QBS get away with the hits that QBs of the past didn't. But still he is a QB prone to mistakes. He is no Cam Newton, I wouldn't touch him no matter what the NFL network experts who are going ga ga over.  

• Upvote 1