Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

2 minutes ago, slats said:

From PFT today, Packers want first round pick and more for Rodgers

The Jets want Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers wants the Jets. The Packers don’t want Aaron Rodgers. This should be easy to resolve, right?

It’s not. The Packers want a lot for Rodgers. They want more than they should, frankly. The Jets believe the Packers are being unreasonable.

Per multiple sources, the Packers want a first-round pick and more from the Jets for Rodgers.

The Packers want more than a first-round pick as part of the base deal. They want protection in 2025, in the event Rodgers plays in 2024. And that’s more than the Jets believe they should surrender for a player the Packers no longer want.

If the Jets are willing to offer something like a conditional package that would entail as much as a second-round pick this year and up to a second-round pick next year, the Packers would be nuts to not take it.

Frankly, it feels personal at this point, and that’s no surprise. Rodgers reportedly wanted Packers G.M. Brian Gutekunst to be fired a couple of years ago, something Rodgers never really tried to refute. Now, two years later, Gutekunst has a chance to exact a little revenge — and so he is.

The problem for the Packers is that, the longer they drag their feet, the more pissed off (and in turn motivated) Rodgers will be to have a great season in 2023. He already has sold himself on the narrative that the Packers wanted him back after the season before something changed, even though he later contradicted himself on the notion that he believed the Packers wanted him back when 2022 concluded.

The NFL, like many businesses, is driven by deadlines. The challenge becomes determining a deadline for this trade. As previously mentioned, the Packers are willing to wait until the draft. The ultimate deadline, if we take it to the extreme, is Week One, at which point his $58.3 million option bonus becomes guaranteed base salary if not exercised.

For the Jets, what’s the deadline? There’s a desire to get it done now. But do they need Rodgers now? Do they need him for the start of the offseason program? He knows the system, given his connection to offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett. Given Rodgers’s recent habit of skipping OTAs, maybe the Jets should take the position that the real deadline is the opening of training camp.

Regardless, unless someone blinks, the deal isn’t happening now. Given what the Packers currently want, it’s definitely not happening. They’ll need to move toward New York’s position.

And here’s the question. With no owner in Green Bay, who’s in position to tell the front office to give a little in order to get rid of a guy they no longer want?

I feel like the Jets 2 this year, and a conditional 1/2 next year is more than fair and should get this done.  Knowing JD he’s probably offered a 2025 6th and Denzel Mims.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Are you seriously white knighting for a bunch of lying media guys ffs?  Come on....

Here is all the reason he needs:  He chooses not to.  He owes the media, and fans tbqh, nothing beyond what he chooses to give.

The absence of sourced info doesn't give these schmucks a free pass to just make sh*t up.

Yes. This.

Just imagine how bad it would have been if Manish was still haunting the Jets. 

Burner phones, harassing relatives, etc etc. 

Just now, JTJet said:

Yes. This.

Just imagine how bad it would have been if Manish was still haunting the Jets. 

Burner phones, harassing relatives, etc etc. 

That's not what's happening here. Ya'll like to talk about "both sides" and "independent thinking" but Rodgers could say anything about the media and you'll eat it up. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, extmenace said:

did anyone have any level of dislike for Adam schefter before this Rodgers saga took place?

Nothing against him personally, but in general, I don't like the media, mainly because they create false narratives. That's ok if it's an opinion piece, but they present it as "news". 

I also despise anyone who would use the power of the press to persecute somebody just because they disagree with that person, or that person has an unpopular world view. 

I can see why AR "dislikes" Schefter and his ilk.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

To each his own but I thought the interview was cringeworthy myself.

The punter and the criminal former CB kiss his butt then: "aaron please tell us what's going on"

King Rodgers literally starts his ridiculously long good bye to Green Bay with "well you know they drafted Jordan Love in 2020..."

---

A future HOFer, given a $150 mill contract just last year from the team and he's bitching about Jordan Love... I cannot imagine being that much on an A-hole.

This is just wilful ignorance. 

You listened to 5 seconds of that interview, made up your mind, and turned it off. 

3 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

I feel like the Jets 2 this year, and a conditional 1/2 next year is more than fair and should get this done.  Knowing JD he’s probably offered a 2025 6th and Denzel Mims.

Personally I feel JD thinks a 2 AND a cond. 2/1 is too much. But I have no basis for this.

1 minute ago, shuler82 said:

I agree. And the longer it goes on, the less I offer. They have to get that contract off of their books. The only way to do that is via a trade, and the Jets are their only suitor. Rodgers stating his intentions to play for the Jets this year isn’t going to invite anyone new to the table. In the end, no matter how much the Jets want Rodgers, the Packers have the bigger need. That contract is an albatross. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

The only "non-fact" I heard from Rodgers yesterday was that the list was a wish list and not a demand list. The stuff about Rodgers wanting to go to the Jets turned out to be true. What are we talking about here

The Jets interested in Aaron Rodgers? True
The Packers wanting to move on from Rodgers? True
The Jet brass flying out to California? True
The Jets trying to negotiate with the Packers? True

Where are all these lies?

There were reports out there that GB and the Jets had a deal done and they were just waiting on Rodgers to make a decision - that he was holding everyone hostage after saying he wouldn’t.  Add the “demand list” to that and many were painting him to be the diva/heel in this scenario, when now it appears that he made his decision last week and it’s the Packers who are being difficult.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

That's not what's happening here. Ya'll like to talk about "both sides" and "independent thinking" but Rodgers could say anything about the media and you'll eat it up. 

I can't speak for anyone else, but I agree with Aaron Rodgers and what he says about the media. I'm on his side. I've seen how the press can destroy a persons life and it makes me sick.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, MykePM said:

There were reports out there that GB and the Jets had a deal done and they were just waiting on Rodgers to make a decision - that he was holding everyone hostage after saying he wouldn’t.  Add the “demand list” to that and many were painting him to be the diva/heel in this scenario, when now it appears that he made his decision last week and it’s the Packers who are being difficult.

We got reports of both scenarios (Rodgers holding it up and the Packers/Jets not agreeing to a deal)

Off Season Programs start in Mid April.  Couldn't Rodgers force GB's hand by threating to show up to those?  If he were to get hurt then GB would have to pay him ALL his money and get nothing from the Jets.  Now I understand it probably won't reach this point but could he force the issue if it drags out this long? 

7 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

what is ironic is that Rodgers actually loves the media. He goes on McAfee's show every single week and they kiss his ass

He's not a private person type fighting after the media. He's only going after those that don't kiss his ass

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ron Rico said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I agree with Aaron Rogers and what he says about the media. I'm on his side. I've seen how the press can destroy a persons life and it makes me sick.

I don't think it's that absolute (MEDIA ALL BAD, RODGERS ALL GOOD). I don't think the media is destroying Rodgers's life by trying to find out where he wants to play.

Just now, VERMONT JET said:

Off Season Programs start in Mid April.  Couldn't Rodgers force GB's hand by threating to show up to those?  If he were to get hurt then GB would have to pay him ALL his money and get nothing from the Jets.  Now I understand it probably won't reach this point but could he force the issue if it drags out this long? 

he should show up and start running every play trying to truck stick defensive linemen and linebackers. Trade gets done real quick.

• Upvote 1

Just now, hotrodcharlie said:

what is ironic is that Rodgers actually loves the media. He goes on McAfee's show every single week and they kiss his ass

He's not going after the media he's only going after those that don't kiss his ass

For reals lol

It's not like McAfee is going to ask him tough questions.

People who hate the media like the media that confirms their biases or says good things about them. 

Just now, Tranquilo said:

I don't think it's that absolute (MEDIA ALL BAD, RODGERS ALL GOOD). I don't think the media is destroying Rodgers's life by trying to find out where he wants to play.

I think it's the lack of integrity (making sh*t up) people despise. We love that Rodgers calls them on their BS.

We should be able to rely on these people to report the truth. We can't. 

Why are you so defensive of them?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

I think it's the lack of integrity (making sh*t up) people despise. We love that Rodgers calls them on their BS.

We should be able to rely on these people to report the truth. We can't. 

Why are you so defensive of them?

If the media only reported lies, how did we know that the Jets and Packers were working on a trade and the Jets flew out to California? Rodgers wasn't saying anything.

It's not all black or white. Why do you think Rodgers is infallible? 

7 minutes ago, MykePM said:

Correct. This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say "false narrative". I'd be pissed off, too.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

He's not a private person type fighting after the media. He's only going after those that don't kiss his ass

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ false narrative ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

If the media only reported lies, how did we know that the Jets and Packers were working on a trade and the Jets flew out to California? Rodgers wasn't saying anything.

It's not all black or white. Why do you think Rodgers is infallible? 

No one is saying they only reported lies. We shouldn't have to decipher what is truth or lie from the media. Where is the journalistic integrity?

Where did I say Rodgers is infallible? Show me. What was that about black and white?

Are you a journalist or in the media? 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Jets4Life1979 said:

ESPN and all these other networks are so insufferable right now......You got dummies like stephen a smith saying the Jets should absolutely give up the 13th pick and that the packers hold the leverage.  Joe Douglas will never do that nor should he.

The coverage has been shocking and eye-opening to me.  I watched the Mcafee interview in its entirety and thought AR came across as thoughtful, clear headed, and circumspect.  Certainly the well earned ego is there being one of the top 5 QB's of all-time. He gave plenty of praise and appreciation to Green Bay. 

And then holy sh*t he's absolutely getting roasted by every talking head as do the Jets.  WTF?  It was just this ubiquitous slanted narrative.

No one outside of Dan Orlovsky had any praise for a move that makes the Jets instant Superbowl contenders.  Maybe I'm immediately sympathizing with "our guy" similar to how the good people of Cleveland put on the blinders the second they got Deshawn Watson...but NO It was weird. 

They were all stoking indignation and this very negative media narrative for hot takes.  There wasn't any full context or any credence to AR or the Jets side of things which are all reasonable.  Really was clear how the media can just run with a convenient narrative.

BTW it's really interesting how all the media had instant amnesia to all their takes over the past month where they were salivating over how "bungled" the Jets had been playing things, how they made a mistake letting Carr or Jimmy go because they didn't have AR in pocket.  The Jets had Plan A which was Aaron Rodgers and they have adeptly and competently (99% of the way) made it happen and in doing so have put themselves into the Superbowl conversation.  It's brilliant, what an epic turnaround!  But there's no acknowledgement of that at all. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

No. I listened to the whole thing actually and what I described is exactly how it started out

59:49

What you described was exactly how it started out...

But by zero means incorporated how it continued for another 58 minutes.

I included it so you can watch it again and refresh yourself. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

No one is saying they only reported lies. We shouldn't have to decipher what is truth or lie from the media. Where is the journalistic integrity?

Where did I say Rodgers is infallible? Show me. What was that about black and white?

You just said they were making sh*t up. That's not lies?

Like I said, you're saying that Rodgers calling out the media as if it's one thing. That's where the black and white comes from. Some reports are good, some are bad. Nothing to whine about as if they're ruining his life. And he could've said something this entire time if he wanted "transparency."

Wingo said it was 99% done yesterday so I'm not sure what's left unless they are waiting for Aaron to agree to a new renegotiated contract? Or how much money GB will eat?

Wingo has been spot on so if he's saying 99% then it's at the 1 yard line.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, JTJet said:

59:49

What you described was exactly how it started out...

But by zero means incorporated how it continued for another 58 minutes.

I included it so you can watch it again and refresh yourself. 

thanks but I dont need to watch something I already watched. And you confirmed my take was correct anyway

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Are you a journalist or in the media? 

journalistic integrity? WTF

Pat McAfee, Ph.D, lol. I don't know if you've watched his show much but they aren't going to be using it to teach any graduate level journalism classes haha