Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

18 hours ago, PS17 said:

The best one was when Rozelle said “The New York Jets select….FULLBACK…” and you hear the fan scream “OHHH NO” in the background. Brilliant sh*t. 

From Roger Vick's wikipedia page (yes, he has one)

Roger Hamilton Vick (born August 11, 1964) is a former professional American football fullback in the National Football League (NFL) for the New York Jets and Philadelphia Eagles from 1987 to 1990. He played college football at Texas A&M University. He also played on the Orlando Thunder in the World League.

Vick was the only fullback selected in the first round of the 1987 NFL Draft. The selection of Vick is a notable moment in draft history, primarily due to the audible outburst of despair made by a fan in attendance.

Pete Rozelle: "The New York Jets' first round selection, fullback-"
Unnamed fan: "OH NO!"
Rozelle: "Roger Vick, Texas A&M"

— NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle announcing Vick's selection in the 1987 draft[1]

Vick's best season came in 1988 when he rushed for 540 yards on 128 carries (4.2 YPC) and three touchdowns. He also had 19 catches for 120 yards that season.[2]

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

20+ teams passed on Marino because of the cocaine rumors.  Jets were one of them.  Stop making it sound like the Jets were the outliers on that one.

I agree and fair point. 

It would just be nice if the Jets drafted the HOF QB one of these years instead of being one of the many teams that passed on him. 

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dropping from 13 to 15 is worth a late third/early 4 on the value chart. I don’t know that I’d just give that away as a sweetener, particularly with the Pats picking at 14 and needing a tackle. 

Expect a swap unless someone drops to us, this is a reason the trade has not been announced. IMO done deal that is waiting on a couple of draft day scenarios. Perhaps the same with pick 42.

26 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I agree and fair point. 

It would just be nice if the Jets drafted the HOF QB one of these years instead of being one of the many teams that passed on him. 

That's not completely true. The bills gm said they were taking Kelly or Marino whoever was left after they picked a te @12. They were guaranteed one of them at 14

30 minutes ago, Dcat said:

20+ teams passed on Marino because of the cocaine rumors.  Jets were one of them.  Stop making it sound like the Jets were the outliers on that one.

17TDs/23 INTs.  It wasn't just the cocaine.  He had a pretty huge drop-off his senior year.  He kinda sucked and I think that people were concerned that he would have fumbling issues the way he held the ball.  He was drafted to the USFL and there were concerns he would end up there.  There were tons of reasons that he dropped and the drugs/partying was just one.  

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If I’m swapping ones, they’re just getting an additional two and that’s the end of it. 

It's interesting because the approximate value of swapping 13 overall for 15 overall is a late 3rd round pick, but it depends on who is sitting there at 13 for both teams. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It's interesting because the approximate value of swapping 13 overall for 15 overall is a late 3rd round pick, but it depends on who is sitting there at 13 for both teams. 

when is the NFL going to dump the use of the JJ chart?  Geez.  It's absurd and there are better alternatives out there.  So why is a 13/15 swap the equivalent value of pick 100?  Because JJ said so a million years ago?  Ok.  I see how stupid the chart is every time we run a mock.  The only good thing about it is that it reduces value arguments among those who adhere to it.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dropping from 13 to 15 is worth a late third/early 4 on the value chart. I don’t know that I’d just give that away as a sweetener, particularly with the Pats picking at 14 and needing a tackle. 

IMAGINE the cheaters trade up with Houston and take Johnson or Kincaid? ?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

when is the NFL going to dump the use of the JJ chart?  Geez.  It's absurd and there are better alternatives out there.  So why is a 13/15 swap the equivalent value of pick 100?  Because JJ said so a million years ago?  Ok.  I see how stupid the chart is every time we run a mock.  The only good thing about it is that it reduces value arguments among those who adhere to it.

Eh, it's a best guess for coming up with a rule of thumb. I agree it shouldn't be taken too seriously, which is why I said it really depends on who is sitting there at 13 for both teams. 

I will say that I do not think a difference of two spots in the middle of the first round is worth appreciably more than a 3rd round pick, in general. However, it may easily be worth more than that to either team, depending on which players they are targeting and which players are still on the board at 13. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

Marino had a meh sr year compared to his Jr year. The drug thing was up in the air with many teams. Pittsburgh couldn't find any substance to the rumors. That's probably pr cover by the NFL powers that be but who knows. 

Everyone was doing that stuff in the 80s...Jim Kelly was no saint 

I remember being nervous about Marino since he was an interception machine at Pitt.  23 interceptions in both his junior and senior years.  17 TDs and 23 picks as a seniorI knew nothing about O'Brien, but given the picks, I was not sorry we passed on Marino.

Yup, I have been wrong about almost every college QB going on 40 years now.  Except Zach.  Sadly, I was right about that one.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Campbell turning us down because he thinks the Falcons are "special" isn't exactly making me reconsider my snarky comment

Lol was gonna say. That's not helping any argument. Would love to know the actual reason. You can do community work on any team. Contract was the same. Maybe just less taxes in Atlanta?