Are You Still Friends With The Guys You Grew Up With On Your Street?

On 3/19/2023 at 9:46 AM, SoFlaJets said:

The guys like Stephen King talks about in the final line of Stand By Me? When he says I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12. Jesus, does anyone?

If you are then you're a blessed person.

All of my internet friends are from JetNation.  :)

I moved to NJ when I was 10. No internet back then so I lost connections with everyone I grew up in from St Judes and my block in Inwood.

My closest friends now were all in my class when I moved to NJ in 6th grade. In a group chat with 3 of them and there are messages, lots of them every day.

In another group chat with about 10 people from grammar school and high school.

Nobody in college. I peaked in high school for sure.

• Sympathy 1

Yes, but the circle is a little smaller now.  I have two friends from my pre-Army days and we are still friends today.  See each other when the opportunity is there.  There is a group of HS friends that we still FB talk every now and again.

• Upvote 1

Moved around too much my whole life to really claim a street, but my two closest friends from the Bronx when I was in my teens are still my two closest friends today, despite the 3,000+ mile distance from England to Boston.

• Upvote 2

I'm still friends with my best bud from across the street. We don't hang out really, but still friends. I've lost touch with most people I went to elementary and high school with, but talk to a couple on FB or the occasional call. 

My best friends from my first Army Unit and I talk regularly, and the guys from my former FD are brothers. I'm actually closer to most if them than my actual brother.....

Now here on the Space Coast I meet up for beers with a bunch of Engineers I met, mostly Northrup and Lockheed guys and a couple of SpaceX dudes. Cool guys. The younger firemen from the Department I took an Assistant Chief job with act like I have a communicable disease. ? I was the outsider from a different,  larger department and apparently made them nervous.

• Sympathy 1

No, not really.  

I moved to a different neighborhood in middle school and even though it was a small town, and we went to the same school, the location was my connection to those kids.  I stopped riding bikes with them to school, and slowly lost contact with them.  I haven’t talked to any of them since high school ended.  

I am still friendly with my best friend growing up, we met in elementary school but are mostly just facebook friends these days.  He is now slowly turning into a woman, so that is weird.  I sam facebook friends with the other guys I hung out with in high school, but despite my best attempts, I haven’t seen any of them in 10 years.  The same is basically true of my college/homeless early 20s friends.  I still talk to them occasionally, but everyone is either lazy or too busy with kids and wr all live in different places.  

Man, this is my life. I am fully aware of just how lucky I got. I ended up with a group of friends I've been hanging out with for my entire life. For the most part, neighborhood guys and gals, and of course add-ons. A couple years ago, my buddy's girlfriend (also a long time friend) had a birthday we all got together at the local dive. We took a picture. Everyone I this pic, I've known for 25 years + (with the lone exception of the guy on the far left, the birthday girls dad) Every one of us are very cognizant of the special place we have and the friends we hold dear. 519.thumb.jpeg.47bef80a1716d437a3625afb82b13c5d.jpeg

• Post of the Week 1

On 3/30/2023 at 11:34 AM, slowmoe57 said:

I have 2 good friends 1 from Kindergarten and the other from 2nd grade. We all live in Florida now and we get together 2 to 4 times a years. In fact we are going to the Islander/Lightning game Saturday night.

I'm over in Melbourne.  Hit me up!!

• Post of the Week 1