Aaron Rodgers traded to the New York Jets

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

We gave up very little to get Rodgers.  A first round draft pick swap where we only move 2 spots?  JD should be wearing a ski mask.

The 1st round pick in '24 is the pain point.

But the more I think about it, it's no big deal.  Obviously, you'd like to retain that valuable pick.

But the Jets have whiffed on countless 1st rounders.  The capital is only useful when you can convert it into something tangible.

And now the Jets have Aaron freaking Rodgers.

Whether this works out or not, it gives the Jets a realistic shot at the Super Bowl, and that's all you can ask for.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

BTW, the so-called experts are still saying "Tier 1" of AFC is KC, CIN, and BUF.

BUF doesn't really scare me at all.  They lowkey have needs multiple areas, after losing Tremaine Edmunds (to CHI) and Gabe Davis failing to make the projected leap everybody was expecting, and their OL isn't exactly great.

Josh Allen's strength and mobility can mask a lot of OL issues.

If there is a team Hopkins makes sense for, it's them.  They need more weapons, immediate help that they don't need to wait to "develop".

If I was them, I'd look to draft Bijan.  Take some heat and punishment off of Josh Allen.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

Do you think the 104 will be split between 24, 25, 26 and we keep his 1.25 mill for this year?

I think his number will stay the same this year.  I think they're going to rip up the contract and write a new one for 2024 and beyond. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

But the more I think about it, it's no big deal.  Obviously, you'd like to retain that valuable pick.

But the Jets have whiffed on countless 1st rounders.  The capital is only useful when you can convert it into something tangible.

Whether this works out or not, it gives the Jets a realistic shot at the Super Bowl, and that's all you can ask for.

Assuming we didn't get Rodgers and kept that pick, it has to be high enough to be within striking distance of the top 3 for a qb. Do we think, with our defense and let's say a decent veteran (i.e carr), we were gonna be that close?

17 hours ago, Lith said:

The other piece of the cost is the cap hit.  Which we don't know yet.  Under his GB contract, we would have had like $30M+ cap hits for two seasons after he retired.  Cap hit has to be part of the downside.  Until we see the details of his reworked NYJ contract we really don't know the full cost.

not sure what they could do to be honest with the contract.  the guarantee has to be paid is my understanding.

maybe they push some of the guarantee to 2025 and if he retires the cap hit is less?  not sure how that works.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm just reading your post & haven't seen more than that yet - but based on your post it mostly doesn't (maybe slightly, in that a constant set of dollars feels like less later, when the cap is another year higher). Also it puts more of it off to later, when they may be over the hump from some other past restructures (Tomlinson, Mosley, more). 

What it does most is to serve as an incentive to remove the ultimate doomsday scenario:

• Jets miss out on the playoffs in the final week(s).
  • Rodgers still hit the incentives to make the trade include our 1st rounder in 2024.
  • A frustrated Rodgers then flakes out & retires just-before or just after the draft, accelerating some $45MM to the 2024 cap for a non-playoff team already lacking a 1st rounder. 

It also allows the possibility - however much no one should bet on it - that if we come up barely short in '23 that Rodgers does a Brady and just takes a pure pay cut, agreeing to lower it further, but I think that's only possible if that lump payment is due in 366+ days.

But anyway, by then he could figure he's making up for that difference with far more in additional local NY metro area endorsements & easy suits-handshaking appearances, rather than local ones like a ribbon-cutting ceremony for Smitty's Bait & Tackle Emporium, touting customers to "Remember, that 5th hook-hole punched on your Smitty's card earns you a free cup of live millipedes." We don't see Rodgers yukking it up with Jake from State Farm anymore ;)

I want that free cup of live millipedes. 

• Haha 1

im 37 so i never got to see broadway joe play. but if u did would you say he has the talent that a rodg does? just asking. i know he was awesome from all i have read before his knees gave away. but you gotta admit rodgers is top 15 qb of all time (even if hes older)

Namath was a smart, strong armed, accurate qb who called his own plays and was very aggressive with the ball most of the time. He made lots of impossible throws and threw lots of interceptions. He had already had knee surgery before he ever played a professional game and it was thought at the time that he would be able to play 3-4 more years. Obviously he ended up playing many more than that, and had lots more knee injuries/surgeries. It ruined his mobility from the start and left him a standing target back when the rules did not protect qb’s. His crowning achievement in football was not the “guarantee” but deciding to not throw a single pass in the 4th quarter of the game that made the guarantee famous.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 4/24/2023 at 4:23 PM, Rhg1084 said:

Giving up a conditional 1st next year stings a bit not gonna lie 

Agreed  ^^   but i Love aaron.  always have.  glad we finally have him.  i hope/pray he can stay healthy & help us win a sb. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, jetsfan56 said:

Namath was a smart, strong armed, accurate qb who called his own plays and was very aggressive with the ball most of the time. He made lots of impossible throws and threw lots of interceptions. He had already had knee surgery before he ever played a professional game and it was thought at the time that he would be able to play 3-4 more years. Obviously he ended up playing many more than that, and had lots more knee injuries/surgeries. It ruined his mobility from the start and left him a standing target back when the rules did not protect qb’s. His crowning achievement in football was not the “guarantee” but deciding to not throw a single pass in the 4th quarter of the game that made the guarantee famous.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Probably could’ve thrown at least two int’s if he had though… he was due.

Have to wonder what Aaron Rodgers is thinking when the Packers fail to give him a supporting cast for a decade and after trading him to the Jets, they draft a WR and TWO TE's in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

I am sure he is happy with the weapons he has here, with his favorite WR and the ROTY, and I feel like we will pick up another WR and RB, either in the last few rounds of the draft (still a ton of WR talent on the board, heading into day 3) or prior to the season. Plus I think the Jets will sign Marcedes Lewis as a run blocker, adding to the TEs we already have. That's more talent than he has seen for a decade.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Have to wonder what Aaron Rodgers is thinking when the Packers fail to give him a supporting cast for a decade and after trading him to the Jets, they draft a WR and TWO TE's in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

I am sure he is happy with the weapons he has here, with his favorite WR and the ROTY, and I feel like we will pick up another WR and RB, either in the last few rounds of the draft (still a ton of WR talent on the board, heading into day 3) or prior to the season. Plus I think the Jets will sign Marcedes Lewis as a run blocker, adding to the TEs we already have. That's more talent than he has seen for a decade.

His favorite WR is on the Raiders. But that's soon to change as it will soon be Garrett Wilson.   So far we gave him a Center who will hopefully be starting by October/November. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

His favorite WR is on the Raiders. But that's soon to change as it will soon be Garrett Wilson.   So far we gave him a Center who will hopefully be starting by October/November. 

As soon as he was traded here, we gave him better weapons than he has had in a decade. But whatever. Ignorance is prevalent here in Jet hell. 

• More Ugh 1

On 4/26/2023 at 12:01 PM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Yea but it’s only a 1 if Rodgers starts at least 12 games this season.  If he starts at least 12 games we are a playoff team

On 4/26/2023 at 12:18 PM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

John McClain is saying the Texans are dialed in on Levis at #2.

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

Prevailing rumor on the Texans is that the owner forced them to take a QB at 2, and that’s why they turned around and traded the farm to get back up to 3. 

• Upvote 1