Jets should have 3 compensatory picks in 2024

6 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

My understanding is that JD signed Billy Turner the first day that comp picks would not be impacted.  JD is always thinking one step ahead.  Go Jets!

Now, if he can just get that quality, run stuffing Defensive tackle signed, we’ll be ready to roll.

• Upvote 4

Since FA usually sucks, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Jets make some trades for players to put them over the top and go all in. They have a lot of quality talent that will get decent FA contracts leaving next offseason that can help them get good comp picks for 2025. They’ll need the picks to reload/rebuild if Rodgers retires after 2 years. 

• Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Since FA usually sucks, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Jets make some trades for players to put them over the top and go all in. They have a lot of quality talent that will get decent FA contracts leaving next offseason that can help them get good comp picks for 2025. They’ll need the picks to reload/rebuild if Rodgers retires after 2 years. 

The Pats and Ravens have been exploiting the comp pick system for years doing this. 

It’s pretty crazy that the Jets would receive anything of value for Dan Feeney. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Bear I mind there are more criteria to qualifying for comp picks than a simple net loss / gain calculation.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks

Each player in question needs to rank in the top 35% of all players to be considered as a compensatory FA. Players who sign as backups / rotational depth guys aren't likely to result in anything. There are also max of 32 comp picks league wide, so even if we have guys who qualify they would have to be ranked high enough to be awarded a pick.

JMO but Herbig and Feeney are hardly going to register. White will mainly depend on Tua's health; he has to see the field a good amount to be considered.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Bear I mind there are more criteria to qualifying for comp picks than a simple net loss / gain calculation.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks

Each player in question needs to rank in the top 35% of all players to be considered as a compensatory FA. Players who sign as backups / rotational depth guys aren't likely to result in anything. There are also max of 32 comp picks league wide, so even if we have guys who qualify they would have to be ranked high enough to be awarded a pick.

JMO but Herbig and Feeney are hardly going to register. White will mainly depend on Tua's health; he has to see the field a good amount to be considered.

Yeah, I don’t think this is necessarily a lock at this stage. The projection I see on OTC has White and Feeney as seventh round picks and literally the last two compensatory picks awarded next year. Only five potential guys below them, though.

Good they’re building up enough depth and talent to play the comp pick game. They’re going to have tons of free agents next year so it’ll be interesting how that shakes out.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

My understanding is that JD signed Billy Turner the first day that comp picks would not be impacted.  JD is always thinking one step ahead.  Go Jets!

Further, the played we will not be resigning next year like Huff and Davis and Lawson and Becton will net us even better comps the year after.  JD drafted with an eye to the future.    

Great post … except for the Huff and possibly Becton part.

Huff is an extremely valuable player for us.  Let’s hope he turns those pressures into sacks this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, varjet said:

JD’s entire original draft class, plus Lawson and Davis, will likely walk next year.  Bad draft, but good picks in 2025. 

I wouldn't say it's likely all of them walk.  If Becton stays healthy and produces he will most likely get franchised at the very least.  Also I want to see what Mims can do with Rodgers and an improved OL, although he'll probably need to really break out big time in order for the Jets to want to pay him instead of bringing in rookie for cheap next year.  But yeah, this is basically a last-chance year for both Becton AND Mims.  

My expectation is that Becton will actually get it done this year, and he'll be around for 2024 at the very least.  No way will JD let his first ever pick walk if he's coming off a Pro Bowl season.  Especially considering he plays one of the hardest positions to solve long-term.  

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

I thought the math was when we lose a player to a contract higher than vets minimum due to expired contract here counts as a loss and when we pick a player who was NOT released and we pay him more than vets minimum, counts as a gain. And if our losses are higher, we get a comp pick based on how big contracts were signed. Didn’t know the 35% rule. 

The thing I am wondering is if Douglas plans to try for comp picks every year.  Some teams seem to do that, but others play it setting up for a year as buyers and a year as sellers.  I think that is how Tannenbaum tried to run it.  Maccagnan just made whatever move whenever and never seemed to take it into consideration.  Part of that was that the sh*tty roster wasn't netting anybody, but yikes.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

I thought the math was when we lose a player to a contract higher than vets minimum due to expired contract here counts as a loss and when we pick a player who was NOT released and we pay him more than vets minimum, counts as a gain. And if our losses are higher, we get a comp pick based on how big contracts were signed. Didn’t know the 35% rule. 

The NFL announced on Thursday it has awarded 37 compensatory picks to 16 teams for the 2023 NFL Draft, which will be held April 27-29 in Kansas City, Missouri.

A pair of NFC West teams led the way, with the 49ers receiving a league-high seven selections and the Rams netting four. The 37 compensatory picks include five special selections that were awarded at the end of the third round to teams that have had a minority employee hired as a head coach or primary football executive by another club. Three of those picks were awarded to San Francisco. The special compensatory picks were instituted as an amendment to the 2020 Collective Bargaining Agreement in an effort to promote equal employment opportunities within NFL teams.

1 hour ago, Jet2020 said:

In general it is "teams losing more or better FA players than they acquire" ... the detail in the OTC article defines a lot of how they measure that.

6 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

Is this for real? Herbig and White kind of make sense, but anything for Feeney seems like getting blood from a stone.

Feeney signed for a 1 year 3.25 mil deal. Dolphins picked him up to be their all-pro, all-world LG. That’s probably why we would probably get that 7th round nugget. 

11 hours ago, bonkertons said:

I wouldn't say it's likely all of them walk.  If Becton stays healthy and produces he will most likely get franchised at the very least.  Also I want to see what Mims can do with Rodgers and an improved OL, although he'll probably need to really break out big time in order for the Jets to want to pay him instead of bringing in rookie for cheap next year.  But yeah, this is basically a last-chance year for both Becton AND Mims.  

My expectation is that Becton will actually get it done this year, and he'll be around for 2024 at the very least.  No way will JD let his first ever pick walk if he's coming off a Pro Bowl season.  Especially considering he plays one of the hardest positions to solve long-term.  

true, for 2024. but 2025 he is gone. 

AVT will have to be paid in 2025. are we going to put over 40 mil on 2 OL? thats alot. plus we need to save some money to pay GW probably close to 30 mil and Sause maybe 20 mil in 2026. plus whatever Hall gets and if JJ gets better.

Becton might play a hard position to solve but he cant be trusted long term, not with all that money we need for other players.

19 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Further, the played we will not be resigning next year like Huff and Davis and Lawson and Becton will net us even better comps the year after.  JD drafted with an eye to the future.    

Do not tell Becton about this. He may go on a pancake run.

• Haha 2