Jets and Quinnen NOT Close on Contract

You have the be a franchise that rewards performance and pays its studs if you want to reverse the image the Jets have with players and their agents.

I know cap space and draft picks have been our proxy Super Bowl for a generation but Q is a player that you pay.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Seriusly tho. When do i get my "manhood lessons" from a creepy af poster on jet nation?

A person of your ilk I'd assume daily but again, Lil Kevy Kev, you have to open your heart and allow love to come in.  It's the first and scariest step for us all.

Just now, kevinc855 said:

yes like run or are you that weak? 

Have you ever paddled through a key hole made in a corral reef to an 8 foot wave breaking over 3 feet of water into a dry slab reef, make your way through the line up the peak and then proceed to ride the ride the barrel pig dog style knowing the if you dont make it, you might not be going home to family that evening? 

Even with Quinnen, the Jets are very thin at DT this season.  He is the key to the entire defense, and the defense if the key to the entire season.   They could have tried to draft a DT to mitigate that risk, but they took a small EDGE.  

Unfortunately, I think Quinnen is trying to take advantage of this a little bit.  He wants more than all of these other contracts.  JD should have signed him earlier.  In the NFL, contracts tend to get higher as time passes.  

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

A person of your ilk I'd assume daily but again, Lil Kevy Kev, you have to open your heart and allow love to come in.  It's the first and scariest step for us all.

Have you ever paddled through a key hole made in a corral reef to an 8 foot wave breaking over 3 feet of water into a dry slab reef, make your way through the line up the peak and then proceed to ride the ride the barrel pig dog style knowing the if you dont make it, you might not be going home to family that evening? 

No… but

rob riggle GIF by Holiday Inn Express

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I lived in Hawaii for 3 years. I chose not to live in the cess pool that is Northern Florida. We all make life choices. For a Guy who wants to groom men you seem to make poor life choices 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I lived in Hawaii for 3 years. I chose not to live in the cess pool that is Northern Florida. We all make life choices. For a Guy who wants to groom men you seem to make poor life choices 

You live in Jersey?  New York?  Yes, lets talk cesspools. 

You stood in the pouring rain at midnight to heckle a grow man.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Kinda surprised with some of the willingness on this board to let him walk.

He's a 25-year-old pro bowl interior pass rusher that's also great against the run.

Nobody is Aaron Donald, I get that, but Q is like Chris Jones on the Chiefs and a foundational piece. 

He's worth 25 mil a year easily. 

Chris jones is on a 4 yr contract for $80MM.  Quinnen will get $10MM more than that.  Figure 4 yrs for $90MM with $65MM guaranteed.  That is the market for anyone not named Donald.  He is no Donald, even in his 1 great year.

If he doesn't take it, he plays for his 5th year option of $9.6MM.  He is signed after all, and we have two years franchise tag.   He has no other options.  If he doesn't play, he losses $500,000 a week.  Not a good solution but he has to be realistic.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

You live in Jersey?  New York?  Yes, lets talk cesspools. 

no and no....

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

You stood in the pouring rain at midnight to heckle a grow man.

I did. And cant wait to hear you lecture people on how to be men. I can run circles around you in life accomplishments. So give it a rest and go hit some trashy hooters in Jax.....like real men do 

• Sympathy 1
  • En Fuego 1

16 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Hey kev

where in hawaii?

love that place and would hop on a plane in a second

11 hours ago, Jethead said:

Cimini is speculating. Trying to provoke Q or the Jets to respond.

I think Q will soon be very happy.

Exactly.  You'd think that all the people who have responded so far, especially the ones who've been fans for decades, would know that they were sucked rtight in to the Cimini game. Why don't some people ever learn? 

Q will be signed well before Week 1 of the season and probably much sooner.

Pay the man, Woody. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Gio-Jets said:

Really difficult to see why this is even a problem. The hard work has been done by the other teams locking up their DT’s. Quinnen should be in and around whatever those guys got. This deal should be very easy to do. 

Going to assume the problem is Quinnen doesn’t want to be in and around whatever those guys got.  He wants to be closer to Donald.

4 hours ago, Flashlite80 said:

Chris jones is on a 4 yr contract for $80MM.  Quinnen will get $10MM more than that.  Figure 4 yrs for $90MM with $65MM guaranteed.  That is the market for anyone not named Donald.  He is no Donald, even in his 1 great year.

If he doesn't take it, he plays for his 5th year option of $9.6MM.  He is signed after all, and we have two years franchise tag.   He has no other options.  If he doesn't play, he losses $500,000 a week.  Not a good solution but he has to be realistic.

Observing the rest of the market presently, Payne and Lawrence are inferior players to Quinnen and essentially signed 4 year 90 mil deals.

I think Q gets 25 mil per and we should be happy to pay that. We probably have to beat the 60 mil guaranteed that Lawrence got as well. 

Do you remember beating the Packers in Lambeau? Q had 2 sacks, excelled against the run and blocked a field goal. I think he had a few more QB hits/pressures as well. We beat a better team on their home turf because of Q.

Guy is 25 years old and just entering his prime. Let's not f*** this up over money. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • En Fuego 1

57 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

no and no....

I did. And cant wait to hear you lecture people on how to be men. I can run circles around you in life accomplishments. So give it a rest and go hit some trashy hooters in Jax.....like real men do 

Yes and yes.….

you make YouTube videos to whine about the team for JN posters 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Okay, @JiF I get where you are coming from, but would it be better if he stood in the pouring rain at midnight to heckle a small child? 

Only if they were they were leaving school on their way home after getting a bad grade on a test. 

8 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Making what moves, exactly? 

Overpaying for Rodgers? Giving him two T's that are both closer to being out of the league than on the field, for different reasons? Average WR's behind Wilson? No insurance plan for a RB coming off a torn ACL? Completely blowing his first round pick? 

Rodgers is an mvp level QB. We have more than 2 tackles. Our wrs are better than what we had last year. They drafted an explosive rb to go along with the other 2 guys we already have (both are solid at least), pass rusher is the single most important position on defense especially in the afc with all the really good QBs we have to go against. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, rangerous said:

Can’t fault a player for wanting a great contract.  The thing is they could have two JFMs for what qwill will probably get and that’s not so bad either.

Especially when the defense is predicated on guys playing 35 snaps all out.  Probably better to have 2 JFMs playing all out than one Williams and one Tanzel Smart.

9 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Making what moves, exactly? 

Overpaying for Rodgers? Giving him two T's that are both closer to being out of the league than on the field, for different reasons? Average WR's behind Wilson? No insurance plan for a RB coming off a torn ACL? Completely blowing his first round pick? 

Fa signings  depth signing etc.

We def paid premium for Rodgers no doubt. No arg there. I think he was worth it. I think the line looks great for us this year. Vastly improved. I'm not sure how many WR you think we need but this is not fantasy football, thewr room looks great glad we are keeping davis. We have breece, then Carter, the knight and we drafted a great kid too. Seems pretty good to me.

This criticism of not taking a first round Wr is a silly point. Even bast case scenario that we took that wr he gets you what exactly? 4 or 5 tds, that doesn't move the needle at all we alret have lazard and hardman. Hell Corey Davis.

I'm sorry but Joe has done a great job so far

• Upvote 1

I love QW, he's a home grown big man who had a giant year for us last year.  There were moments in the Packers game that it felt like he was taking over the game.

However, for the most part he's had one big year and with the Rodgers signing our cap looks a bit more unpredictable beyond this season.  Signing QW for 20-25m per year for the production prior to 2022 could be a big mistake.

I'd much rather him end up on getting tagged for another prove it year before dropping a monster contract on him.  Because nothing scares me more than paying big money for a guy who isn't showing up in big moments.  I'd rather end up paying more for a guy who has shown consistency than bit less for a guy who ends up regressing to the mean.  The cap will continue to increase every year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

You have the be a franchise that rewards performance and pays its studs if you want to reverse the image the Jets have with players and their agents.

Conversely I could easily argue the Jets went 11 straight drafts without taking anyone worth handing a 2nd contract.  And the one time in that span the Jets DID pay a guy (Wilkerson) they got burned.

Now I’m not saying not to pay QW.  Only that there’s no immediacy/urgency needed here.  He’s not Aaron Donald and has had one really good year.  He needs to be able to do it again.  And who cares what agents think?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

I love QW, he's a home grown big man who had a giant year for us last year.  There were moments in the Packers game that it felt like he was taking over the game.

However, for the most part he's had one big year and with the Rodgers signing our cap looks a bit more unpredictable beyond this season.  Signing QW for 20-25m per year for the production prior to 2022 could be a big mistake.

I'd much rather him end up on getting tagged for another prove it year before dropping a monster contract on him.  Because nothing scares me more than paying big money for a guy who isn't showing up in big moments.  I'd rather end up paying more for a guy who has shown consistency than bit less for a guy who ends up regressing to the mean.  The cap will continue to increase every year.

Kind of in line with this as well.

Different player and different regime but the cloud of Mo still lingers. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Conversely I could easily argue the Jets went 11 straight drafts without taking anyone worth handing a 2nd contract.  And the one time in that span the Jets DID pay a guy (Wilkerson) they got burned.

Now I’m not saying not to pay QW.  Only that there’s no immediacy/urgency needed here.  And who cares what agents think?

Perception is reality. Rodgers coming here helps but we still have dudes abjectly refusing to come here or using us as negotiation leverage for where they really want to go.

I care what agents think. A lot. The word is out the Jets are a place for a final money grab before the sunset beckons. That needs to change. Paying good players — on the sadly rare occasion we draft them — is a good start.

• Upvote 2

Good teams find ways to pay good players. Quinnen is everything you want a Jet player to embody. IMO you offer him slightly more than the #2 DT contract.

Fact is, Jets own his rights for the next 3 years for around $18m per season. Giving Quinnen +$5m more per year is the olive branch that we dangle. (Assuming $23/24m per year). If Quinnen wants north of that, I make him play on his 5th year option, tag him for 2024, and then trade him for a haul in 2025 when we are cap strapped by Rodgers dead money.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

The word is out the Jets are a place for a final money grab before the sunset beckons. That needs to change.

I'm not sure this has been a thing since Douglas arrived. Maybe you argue Tomlinson but I don't think anyone expected him to turn into a pumpkin.

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm not sure this has been a thing since Douglas arrived. Maybe you argue Tomlinson but I don't think anyone expected him to turn into a pumpkin.

Suh just rejected us loudly. A week ago. And that OL just took less money than offered here to go elsewhere like a month ago.

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

Perception is reality. Rodgers coming here helps but we still have dudes abjectly refusing to come here or using us as negotiation leverage for where they really want to go.

I care what agents think. A lot. The word is out the Jets are a place for a final money grab before the sunset beckons. That needs to change. Paying good players — on the sadly rare occasion we draft them — is a good start.

Players don’t come here because the Jets suck.  Not because of an unwillingness to pay.  Mosley, Le’Veon Bell and Trumaine Johnson all were paid handsomely here.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Players don’t come here because the Jets suck.  Not because of an unwillingness to pay.  Mosley, Le’Veon Bell and Trumaine Johnson all were paid handsomely here.  

Like I said — guys sunset cruising/not other options/dramatic Macc attack overpay.

Pay our one lousy homegrown talent in 10+ years. No brainer.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Suh just rejected us loudly. A week ago. And that OL just took less money than offered here to go elsewhere like a month ago.

Lol we didn't even go after Suh. Orlando Brown Jr would have been awesome to get but there are plenty of reasons not to sign with us other than "lol Jets"

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Like I said — guys sunset cruising/not other options/dramatic Macc attack overpay.

Oay our one lousy homegrown talent in 10+ years. No brainer.

Sure.  But You don’t pay QW based on agent perception.  You pay QW based on how many games he can win us and nothing else.  

• Upvote 1