May 31 OTA Updates

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Love how you have amnesia to the fact that Zach Wilson got to play with AVT and Breece Hall while Mike White didn't.  And one lousy drop by Braxton Berrios changed the narrative on White quite a bit, too. 

Wilson didn't turn the ball over so much because he was barely asked to throw.  The 5 games in '22 where he didn't throw picks he averaged only 22.4 throws per game.  And when he had to, the turnovers started coming (particularly against NE).  He threw 5 picks over his final 5 starts of the '22 season. 

There's a reason why the Dolphins are entrusting QB2 duties to White on a 2-year deal behind an oft-injured Tua and its because that White fella is not too shabby whether you admit it or not.  And unlike Zach, his teammates actually liked playing for him, and a few of his receivers performed a lot better with him under center too.

Yeah, maybe we have plenty of talent to cover up for Wilson's suckitude.  I'd  rather not take that chance if we can avoid it.  Why put a QB4-caliber QB on the field if you don't have to?  There's plenty of capable QB2's out there at this very moment.  

Zach Wilson threw for 6 TDs vs 7 INTs here and somehow you want to defend him for not turning the ball over.  Like, what are we doing here dude?

Mike white sucks. So does Zach. End of story. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I also can't help but think there is something to Rodgers, Strevler, & Boyle going to a play in the city while Zach was out with his family. Probably nothing but it crossed my mind.

Isn’t he flying home to Utah in between practices?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Guaranteed money and draft status. 

Yep.  And that’s unfortunate.  Means we badly need Rodgers healthy for at least 14 games, if not all 17, to have a shot at winning the AFC East.  

I think he will stay healthy but it really isn’t a chance worth taking.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

We are 100% trying to fluff up Zach so we can flip him for something. I really don't think the Jets are going anywhere if Rodgers goes down with a significant injury. If it's like a 2-3 week type injury, I think Zach gets the nod and they run the ball like a mother f*cker lol

Well some of Jets twitter posting bad throws by Zach isnt helping

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  And that’s unfortunate.  Means we badly need Rodgers healthy for at least 14 games, if not all 17, to have a shot at winning the AFC East.  

Yeah it sucks Zach didn’t pan out. If he has to play and pukes on his shoes they can bring in a street free agent. Baker was functional after 2 practices with the Rams. No need to carry that guy all year round tho.  Give Zach the best chance to develop in the meantime. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Look how bad this pass is. His body is corkscrewed and the ball comes out of his hands like he’s throwing a shotput. 

Year 3 and he’s still doing this sh*t with short throws.

It’s over, Zach stans.  There’s no developing that, and no coach ever told him to do that, either.  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why?

The Miami Dolphins just brought in White as their QB2 with an oft-injured starter.  Presumably....he'll start some games this year.  Do you mean long-term?  Because while White lacks opportunity, Wilson lacks the ability to be a starter.  I'll take the former over the latter.

And don't talk to me about Wilson's physical gifts.  He's entering year 3 of his career and all the supposed "gifts" he has are utterly overrated.  He isn't Josh Allen.  He's an undersized kid who can't run but thinks he has the world's best arm.  He isn't all that talented.  Particularly not when compared to the most physically gifted QBs in the game right now.

He’s physically limited and breaks a lot. He has cement feet. I’d rank him like 42 out of 64.  He’s older than Wilson and the window eventually closes and you are pegged. He’s a backup.  Taking the check down after numb nuts was out there throwing bounce passes looked awesome, but teams want a franchise QB that challenges defenses deep and pushes it downfield. I’m not saying he sucks, he’s getting paid millions to play QB, but ya gotta give up on the idea that he’s a starter.  He’s just not. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Love how you have amnesia to the fact that Zach Wilson got to play with AVT and Breece Hall while Mike White didn't.  And one lousy drop by Braxton Berrios changed the narrative on White quite a bit, too. 

Wilson didn't turn the ball over so much because he was barely asked to throw.  The 5 games in '22 where he didn't throw picks he averaged only 22.4 throws per game.  And when he had to, the turnovers started coming (particularly against NE).  He threw 5 picks over his final 5 starts of the '22 season. 

There's a reason why the Dolphins are entrusting QB2 duties to White on a 2-year deal behind an oft-injured Tua and its because that White fella is not too shabby whether you admit it or not.  And unlike Zach, his teammates actually liked playing for him, and a few of his receivers performed a lot better with him under center too.

Yeah, maybe we have plenty of talent to cover up for Wilson's suckitude.  I'd  rather not take that chance if we can avoid it.  Why put a QB4-caliber QB on the field if you don't have to?  There's plenty of capable QB2's out there at this very moment.  

Zach Wilson threw for 6 TDs vs 7 INTs here and somehow you want to defend him for not turning the ball over.  Like, what are we doing here dude?

I was there for one of his final 5 starts and our defense had a better chance of scoring a touchdown than he did. 

It was an abortion of an offense. 

my $0.02

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I was there for one of his final 5 starts and our defense had a better chance of scoring a touchdown than he did. 

It was an abortion of an offense. 

my $0.02

For real.  I don’t understand how anyone could have watched that and thought “Well, at least he doesn’t turn the ball over much.”

F**kin what?  lol.  Dude threw 6 touchdowns in 9 games.  6.  In 9 games.  In the NFL in 2023.  As a # 2 overall pick in his 2nd year.

• Upvote 2

Why?

The Miami Dolphins just brought in White as their QB2 with an oft-injured starter.  Presumably....he'll start some games this year.  Do you mean long-term?  Because while White lacks opportunity, Wilson lacks the ability to be a starter.  I'll take the former over the latter.

And don't talk to me about Wilson's physical gifts.  He's entering year 3 of his career and all the supposed "gifts" he has are utterly overrated.  He isn't Josh Allen.  He's an undersized kid who can't run but thinks he has the world's best arm.  He isn't all that talented.  Particularly not when compared to the most physically gifted QBs in the game right now.

You really still have this much of a hard on for MW?? Dude is bad. We’re just so desperate for any resemblance of mediocre qb play that he seemed like a god for a total of 2 games and that kept hopes up during less than average performances. There was a trend with him. Play great the first game then regress every single game after until he’s benched.

Your Zach hatred is showing. Would you call Rodgers undersized? Zach is literally the same exact size as him.  

It’s funny how you bring up zachs low tds by a per game basis. White started 4 games last year and had 3 passing touchdowns. Multiply that by 2 and it’s 8 games with 6 touchdowns which is virtually the same as Zach with much more volume. 

I don’t have high hopes for Zach either, but if I had to bet on one being a top 15 starter in the next 5 years I’d put my money on Zach instead of the replacement level on every facet Mike white. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

You really still have this much of a hard on for MW?? Dude is bad. We’re just so desperate for any resemblance of mediocre qb play that he seemed like a god for a total of 2 games and that kept hopes up during less than average performances. There was a trend with him. Play great the first game then regress every single game after until he’s benched.

Your Zach hatred is showing. Would you call Rodgers undersized? Zach is literally the same exact size as him.  

It’s funny how you bring up zachs low tds by a per game basis. White started 4 games last year and had 3 passing touchdowns. Multiply that by 2 and it’s 8 games with 6 touchdowns which is virtually the same as Zach with much more volume. 

I don’t have high hopes for Zach either, but if I had to bet on one being a top 15 starter in the next 5 years I’d put my money on Zach instead of the replacement level on every facet Mike white. 

1) You say White had some “great” games above.  When did Wilson have any, again?

2) White was a late round journeyman who outplayed a # 2 overall pick, only to have the latter’s defenders scream at us for over 2 years that he’s secretly good.

3) He IS undersized, and no, he isn’t bigger than Rodgers.  Quit lying to yourself and look at a picture of each.  It’s a big reason why Zach is constantly getting hurt.

4) Sample sizes be damned, eh?  

5) Happy betting!  If Zach becomes even a competent starter it will be perhaps the most unlikely turnaround in NFL history. Oh, and he’s still dirting passes in practice.  In year 3.  Good luck with that.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • En Fuego 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1) You say White had some “great” games above.  When did Wilson have any, again?

2) White was a late round journeyman who outplayed a # 2 overall pick, only to have the latter’s defenders scream at us for over 2 years that he’s secretly good.

3) He IS undersized, and no, he isn’t bigger than Rodgers.  Quit lying to yourself and look at a picture of each.  It’s a big reason why Zach is constantly getting hurt.

5) Happy betting!  If Zach becomes even a competent starter it will be perhaps the most unlikely turnaround in NFL history. Oh, and he’s still dirting passes in practice.  In year 3.  Good luck with that.  

It’s just outstanding goal post movement, isn’t it? We say we’d rather have Mike white as a backup and they respond that Mike White isn’t a franchise QB. Yeah, I mean, no sh*t.

• Haha 2

Zach threw a bad screen or short pass at BYU every game.  He was flirting with accuracy records at the time.  

He completed almost every throw two media days ago.   So about that for now - yawn. 

The good news / bad news is it sounds like last media session they had him running the big boy offense.

He’s got to learn to get through the progressions faster and have the slow down.  

Time to rip the bandaid off and I’m glad they are.   I hope they keep it up all season long in practice now.

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They didn’t invest all they did in Rodgers to spend money on his backup, they’ll spend whatever money they have on the team around him, instead. Despite the concerns of you and many fans, they’re apparently committed to rehabbing Zach in any way possible. Either salvaging value from him on the field, or in a trade down the road, or both. I imagine their best case scenario would be Zach looking a lot better in the preseason and then not taking another snap this season. It’s mine, anyway. They can’t plan for every contingency and when it comes to backups, they’re probably more concerned about the WRs and OL. If Rodgers goes down for an extended period of time, it’s pretty much over no matter who the backup is. There’s only one Las Vegas Raiders team, able to score at will with anyone under center. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

They didn’t invest all they did in Rodgers to spend money on his backup, they’ll spend whatever money they have on the team around him, instead. Despite the concerns of you and many fans, they’re apparently committed to rehabbing Zach in any way possible. Either salvaging value from him on the field, or in a trade down the road, or both. I imagine their best case scenario would be Zach looking a lot better in the preseason and then not taking another snap this season. It’s mine, anyway. They can’t plan for every contingency and when it comes to backups, they’re probably more concerned about the WRs and OL. If Rodgers goes down for an extended period of time, it’s pretty much over no matter who the backup is. There’s only one Las Vegas Raiders team, able to score at will with anyone under center. 

I definitely get that they had to go cheap with the 3rd QB based on how much they’re spending on the other 2 but…..why Tim Boyle?

EDIT:  To answer my own question….I guess $940K for a QB Rodgers likes in the backup/QB3 role was too easy a proposition to pass up.  Just wish we’d spend the $1M or so more on a better option.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I definitely get that they had to go cheap with the 3rd QB based on how much they’re spending on the other 2 but…..why Tim Boyle?

EDIT:  To answer my own question….I guess $940K for a QB Rodgers likes in the backup/QB3 role was too easy a proposition to pass up.  Just wish we’d spend the $1M or so more on a better option.

I imagine Boyle is a favorite of Hackett, having had him in Green Bay for two years. His role is probably primarily to help install the offense. I probably wouldn’t pencil him in on the final 53 just yet, though. Zach will be the #2 because, if nothing else, it would lower his perceived value if he was unable to hold onto that spot. That’s from the perspective that they’d like get something for him in a trade next year, or at least get his entire salary off the books. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Zach threw a bad screen or short pass at BYU every game.  He was flirting with accuracy records at the time.  

He completed almost every throw two media days ago.   So about that for now - yawn. 

The good news / bad news is it sounds like last media session they had him running the big boy offense.

He’s got to learn to get through the progressions faster and have the slow down.  

Time to rip the bandaid off and I’m glad they are.   I hope they keep it up all season long in practice now.

In year 3 if Zach can't get thru his progressions while wearing a red shirt then f*ck!  This is his prove it season and happily it's still too early to start nailing the coffin shut.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I suspect that Boyle was added primarily to help with the install while the Jets were waiting on the Rodgers deal being concluded. He has experience in Hackett's scheme, so could help out other players with the playbook in meetings etc.  I know Rodgers likes him too, which doesn't hurt, but he got almost no guaranteed money in his deal and likely isn't a lock to stick on the 53.

His chances have been helped by the new emergency QB rule, though, which will encourage teams to carry 3 QBs on the 53.  Streveler is in the same boat, although Boyle is probably in with a better shot right now.

• Upvote 4

You realize White is 4 years older than Zach right? He has a total of 2 good games at 28 years old. He should be more polished with having that much more time to practice his craft. He took a backup role where he had no shot of starting day 1. Guys like brisett and baker will likely win their camp battles and went to places where they could. 

I’m not a Zach fanboy by any means, I just think it’s hilarious that people still are in love with white after his performance last year. He was decent at getting yards in the middle of the field, but was pathetic at scoring points (which is the goal of the offense). If the team with the most yards and interceptions won then white would be the MVP! 

Zach and Rodgers are the same size… he was about 10-15 lbs lighter when drafted, but put that weight on. 

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He’s also working uphill. Saleh is clearly done with him, the team did not and does not want him to play, and it sounds like he’s struggling in practice so far. There’s going to come a moment of reckoning where Hackett and the coaches sit down and make a decision on what to do with Wilson, and that time could come sooner than later if they’re going to be giving Rodgers veteran rest days and Wilson is making Garrett Wilson dive for worm-burners every practice. They either have to get a viable #2 in here so they can put Zach on the shelf, or they can trick someone into taking him off their hands under the cover of night in the next few weeks. 

His leg work is still a complete mess. I watched some of his throws on Twitter and his legs are looking as if the ball is going to the left sidelines and the ball comes out going straight ahead and low. So who's to blame now? Is this Hackett's fault? Where is this QB coach and what the hell is he doing if not trying to straighten this confused scrub out? Zach Wilson is Rick Mirer all over again a number 2 pick in the draft that never worked out. I have watched highlights of Tim Boyle and he looks a lot like Mike White and throws a damn good ball and isn't afraid to stand in there and take a hit to get the pass off. Wilson is unfixable

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Zach Wilson can't play football like this, on every one of these plays where pressure was getting close Wilson would have taken off running. Also did any of you guys ever see that college lowlight reel where there is this defensive guy who obviously hates Wilson and goes out of his way to hit him every chance he got? I never saw anything like that-Ill try to find the video

5 hours ago, slats said:

This probably explains the Jets’ thought process. I just disagree with it, is all.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Zach Wilson can't play football like this, on every one of these plays where pressure was getting close Wilson would have taken off running. Also did any of you guys ever see that college lowlight reel where there is this defensive guy who obviously hates Wilson and goes out of his way to hit him every chance he got? I never saw anything like that-Ill try to find the video

Boyle is already better than Zach

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll cry over the completely wasted draft capital and whiffed opportunity cost.

We could have had Ja'Marr Chase or Kyle Pitts.  Or traded down for the equivalent of three 1st round picks (one of which we could certainly use right now considering we're unlikely to have one next year).

But nope.  Had to have the kid with the sweet off platform throws in shorts.

Cool, let’s revisit the draft for every team and talk about who they could have had.  After the fact, sounds so insightful

We needed a QB, didn’t have one before the draft.  That we may have picked the wrong one, time will tell but still we had to go QB.  
Three years later and people are still pissed the QB they wanted wasn’t the one picked, even though they all suck equally at this point. 

23 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

You can make a highlight film, a lowlight film for any and every player who’s put on a uniform.  They don’t tell you anything more than whichever story you’re trying to sell

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

You realize White is 4 years older than Zach right? He has a total of 2 good games at 28 years old. He should be more polished with having that much more time to practice his craft. He took a backup role where he had no shot of starting day 1. Guys like brisett and baker will likely win their camp battles and went to places where they could. 

I’m not a Zach fanboy by any means, I just think it’s hilarious that people still are in love with white after his performance last year. He was decent at getting yards in the middle of the field, but was pathetic at scoring points (which is the goal of the offense). If the team with the most yards and interceptions won then white would be the MVP! 

Zach and Rodgers are the same size… he was about 10-15 lbs lighter when drafted, but put that weight on. 

In love with White as a strong QB2 option, yes.  Because he can do the basic things asked of a QB and is actually liked by teammates and coaches.  

There are tons of young QBs playing like studs in their 2nd and 3rd years in this league dude.  Stop with the “BUT BUT ZACH IS YOUNG” excuse.  Justin Herbert smashed the rookie TD record with the # 32 ranked OL.  Zach threw 6 TDs in year 2.  Like what are we doing here?  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

emoji23.png... emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Even you can’t conjure up a strong enough argument why Zach, the guy still doing the same sh*t in practice despite ruinous LaFleur being gone, is definitively better than Tim Boyle.

OFF PLATFORM!!!  SHORTS!!!  UNTAPPED POTENTIAL!!!