Saleh cancels minicamp

1 hour ago, slats said:

And this is based on… what? Cancelling three June practices? 

They did not invest all they have in Aaron Rodgers without thinking this is a team that can win a few post season games with him. Believing anything other than that would be silly. 

While this is a solid football team I do not believe Jets management (Woody and JD specifically) believe it's a realistic Super Bowl contending one..  Particularly the offense.

• No #2 weapon (WR or otherwise)
  • Only one legitimate T on the roster and he's 38, recovering from injury and still incapable of playing.
  • Guy like Tomlinson is still penciled in as a starting G
  • RB - The only ones we know can play were awful last year.
  • Soon to be 40 year old QB coming off his worst season

Now, this isn't to say this is a bad team, it's not.  I believe the Jets think they've put tougher a quality team - but there have been ample opportunity to upgrade each and every one of those holes.  They chose not to get aggressive enough to fill them.

Teams that truly believe they're a legitimate Super Bowl contenders don't go into a season with only one Tackle with a 40 year old QB.

Things like canceling the limited amount of practices you're allowed to have - when installing a new offense, with a new OC, QB and so many new faces surely helps to further clarify their position.

The Aaron Rodgers signing appeases the fan base and makes them a legitimate playoff contender.  That saves Joe's job and lets him continue his 6 year rebuild.  But this off-season has not been managed like a team that really believes they are serious championship contenders.

It was get Rodgers at all costs and then business as usual.

• Thumb Down 2

52 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's very clear the Jets aren't "going for it"  This is a business as usual year.  

To you and only you.  .
Because the Jets wouldn’t match the ridiculous contract OBJ got from the Ravens.  And while nothing about this offseason has been business as usual
But do carry on the argument that you’re not trolling everyone

6 hours ago, heymangold said:

the whole bonus of being in the HOF game is to get the extra practices.

No, the bonus is they get an extra game.  
2-3 days of playing backyard football after an extra week of practice and an extra game is a non issue.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

While this is a solid football team I do not believe Jets management (Woody and JD specifically) believe it's a realistic Super Bowl contending one..  Particularly the offense.

• Only one legitimate T on the roster and he's 38, recovering from injury and still incapable of playing.

Now, this isn't to say this is a bad team, it's not.  I believe the Jets think they've put tougher a quality team - but there have been ample opportunity to upgrade each and every one of those holes.  They chose not to get aggressive enough to fill them.

Teams that truly believe they're a legitimate Super Bowl contenders don't go into a season with only one Tackle with a 40 year old QB.

The Aaron Rodgers signing appeases the fan base and makes them a legitimate playoff contender.  That saves Joe's job and lets him continue his 6 year rebuild.  But this off-season has not been managed like a team that really believes they are serious championship contenders.  

This is as negative an assesment of the Jets offseason as you could possibly be.  You're looking at the Jets offseason in a vacuum.  Every NFL team is lossing and adding roster, has player injuries, is counting on a player that was hurt being healthy, etc., etc., etc.

We may in fact be loaded at tackle.  The rookie we drafted might be a home run.  We added Hardman to the WR room and if Davis is healthy it's a major upgrade from last year.  

I have no idea how this plays out.  If Rodgers is done or has a hard decline year were not going to be a great football team.  We will be lucky to be in the wild card hunt in week 15.   If Rodgers has a big bounce back year and a couple of guys stay healthy or a rookie steps up we might well be in the hunt for a Lombardi.  

FYI if healthy both Becton and AVT who is capable of playing pro bowl quality Tackle might make a huge impact.  We drafted a rookie center who at worst is an upgrade at guard for Tomlinson.  

The biggest question mark on this team is HC and OC.  The roster itself looks like a playoff caliber roster.  A lot has to go right but that's true of all the teams that have a shot to go deep in the playoffs. 

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Things like canceling the limited amount of practices you're allowed to have - when installing a new offense, with a new OC, QB and so many new faces surely helps to further clarify their position.

It's clear that your boy Zach wasn't the answer to lead this talented team.

We are lucky that we got a motivated Rodgers to elevate protocols and standards. That itself merits joy from all true fans. Everyone is getting better around him. He has brought hope to all long suffering Jets fans. 

You should cherish the moment and enjoy the positive  changes that are currently occurring from top to bottom of this organization. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Every NFL team is lossing and adding roster, has player injuries, is counting on a player that was hurt being healthy, etc., etc., etc.

Every NFL team that really believe they're Super Bowl contenders do everything in their power not to go into a season with open holes.

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

We may in fact be loaded at tackle.  The rookie we drafted might be a home run.  We added Hardman to the WR room and if Davis is healthy it's a major upgrade from last year.  

We very well may be.  But, again, when you have a 40 year old QB and one year to win a Championship - you don't take that risk and hope...

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

have no idea how this plays out.  If Rodgers is done or has a hard decline year were not going to be a great football team.  We will be lucky to be in the wild card hunt in week 15.   If Rodgers has a big bounce back year and a couple of guys stay healthy or a rookie steps up we might well be in the hunt for a Lombardi.  

I think this is completely fair and don't disagree with one word of it.  Sure, Rodgers can revert back to MVP form (or even to a lesser extent play at top 5 QB level) And if all goes well with health this can be a team that can make a SB run.  

11 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The biggest question mark on this team is HC and OC.  The roster itself looks like a playoff caliber roster.  A lot has to go right but that's true of all the teams that have a shot to go deep in the playoffs. 

I think HC is a huge question mark for sure.  I like the combination of Rodgers and Hackett though.  I think we break the playoff drought this year.  I am worried, although, that without some additions getting much further than that will be tough.

------

7 minutes ago, Bronx said:

It's clear that your boy Zach wasn't the answer to lead this talented team.

We are lucky that we got a motivated Rodgers to elevate protocols and standards. That itself merits joy from all true fans. Everyone is getting better around him. He has brought hope to all long suffering Jets fans. 

You should cherish the moment and enjoy the positive  changes that are currently occurring from top to bottom of this organization. 

I am happy with Rodgers and excited for the season.  I am frustrated with Jets management more than anything else. 

They got rolled in the Rodgers trade and then brought in no additional impact support to better the roster.  

I honestly thought once Rodgers was brought in the Jets would get aggressive and make moves to position this team to win a Super Bowl.  They have not.

It should still be a very fun season though and I'm very much looking forward to it.

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I am happy with Rodgers and excited for the season.  I am frustrated with Jets management more than anything else. 

They got rolled in the Rodgers trade and then brought in no additional impact support to better the roster.  

I honestly thought once Rodgers was brought in the Jets would get aggressive and make moves to position this team to win a Super Bowl.  They have not.

It should still be a very fun season though and I'm very much looking forward to it.

I have a good feeling this year, so I decided to stay positive regardless of not having a mint condition roster. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

your last point is plain stupid.

if they didn't think rogers had it, they would have gone in a much cheaper direction.  he might end up stinking but they don't think he will.  your comments are clouded by your views.

and by the way they drafted a pretty decent RB, which refutes your 5th point.

what specific moves would you have had them make?

Every NFL team that really believe they're Super Bowl contenders do everything in their power not to go into a season with open holes.

We very well may be.  But, again, when you have a 40 year old QB and one year to win a Championship - you don't take that risk and hope...

I think this is completely fair and don't disagree with one word of it.  Sure, Rodgers can revert back to MVP form (or even to a lesser extent play at top 5 QB level) And if all goes well with health this can be a team that can make a SB run.  

I think HC is a huge question mark for sure.  I like the combination of Rodgers and Hackett though.  I think we break the playoff drought this year.  I am worried, although, that without some additions getting much further than that will be tough.

------

if we get top 5 QB play we will be in the super bowl (if our defense stays top notch).

interesting assumption that Rodgers is only here for a year.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Better.

Think I'm an ass all you want - but I am speaking, what I believe to be, the truth.  

You might think they're a Super Bowl contender, I might think it - and heck, maybe they are....

But Jets management do not.  Well, not a serious one anyway.

That is all I'm saying.

you have no idea what Jets management (or anyone else) is "thinking".  Neither "serious" thinking nor whatever else thinking you think you know. .  Stop already.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I lack the energy or desire to get outraged over this.

As always, the decision makers will be judged by the end results, not how they got there.

Win, and who cares.  

Lose, and you're all fired.

Rodgers didn’t want to show and Saleh gave him an out by cancelling the whole thing.

17 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

your last point is plain stupid.

if they didn't think rogers had it, they would have gone in a much cheaper direction.  he might end up stinking but they don't think he will.  your comments are clouded by your views.

and by the way they drafted a pretty decent RB, which refutes your 5th point.

Rodgers won't stink.  But he is about to be 40 and they know that.  They saw the decline in his play last year.  Rodgers is still a good QB and likely to finish somewhere in the top half of the league.  Did they overpay? I think for sure - but for them it was as much about the PR and throwing the fan base a bone than it was about how much better he will be than Carr. 

18 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

what specific moves would you have had them make?

• I certainly would have over paid for Orlando Brown and did whatever it took to get him here.  Or signed any of the other starting caliber T's that were available.  
  • I would have matched Baltimore's offer for OBJ - or I would have already signed Hopkins

Look, as I've stated this isn't a bad team - it's a good one right now.  But if you really believe you're a contender you don't leave two holes like that gapping open.

21 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

if we get top 5 QB play we will be in the super bowl (if our defense stays top notch).

interesting assumption that Rodgers is only here for a year.

I agree - top 5 QB and this team has a legitimate shot at doing some damage.  

I think a 2nd season is possible for sure - but my best guess is one year.

23 minutes ago, Dcat said:

you have no idea what Jets management (or anyone else) is "thinking".  Neither "serious" thinking nor whatever else thinking you think you know. .  Stop already.  

I never said I had personal knowledge of JD's inner thoughts.  I'm expressing what I believe to be the case based on their actions.

On 6/6/2023 at 7:45 PM, Skeptable said:

Miserable people, they want to bring everyone down to their level of hatred.

The Jets are 56-106 in the last ten years. Good for third-worst. Ahead of only the Jags and Browns, both of which have been to the playoffs more recently than the Jets.

The problem isn’t hating, it’s sucking. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I never said I had personal knowledge of JD's inner thoughts.  I'm expressing what I believe to be the case based on their actions.

yeah.  Spending $100,000,000+ for a 2 year QB is certainly suggests that they don't believe they can win now.  LOL

Is this what you see in the mirror?

tumblr_nbuwm4GFNx1ts7f01o1_500.gif

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Larz said:

All this over a cancelled walkthrough and 2 practices with no tackling because they are getting an extra week of camp with real practices?  Really ? 

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

I share some advice given to me by Johnnie Cochran. Many things are out of your control. The other lawyer may be smarter, more eloquent, have a closer relationship with the judge… but the one thing you can control with absolute certainty is that when you go into the courtroom, be the most prepared.

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You apparently slept through the offseason.  
OBJ isn’t the difference between this team being successful or not.  

2 hours ago, jgb said:

I share some advice given to me by Johnnie Cochran. Many things are out of your control. The other lawyer may be smarter, more eloquent, have a closer relationship with the judge… but the one thing you can control with with absolute certainty is that when you go into the courtroom, be the most prepared.

And none of this says the Jets won’t be as well prepared as any other team.  
The idea about preparation is fine.  The idea that with an extra week of practice and an extra game isn’t enough, that they need a couple of days running around in shorts to be better prepared than without them

31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And none of this says the Jets won’t be as well prepared as any other team.  
The idea about preparation is fine.  The idea that with an extra week of practice and an extra game isn’t enough, that they need a couple of days running around in shorts to be better prepared than without them

I would’ve been fine with classroom instruction days only. Not sure why anyone would be against the guys maximizing time together coalescing as a team with so many new faces, new offensive system, and 6 months away from each other. It is a job, ultimately and the expectations are oh so high.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You apparently slept through the offseason.  
OBJ isn’t the difference between this team being successful or not.  

He was super optimistic with Zach last off season now a sourpuss with Rodgers. Is it about the Jets… or about being wrong about a certain fair-haired lad? I leave it to each to judge for his or herself.

• Upvote 2