Saleh cancels minicamp

7 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Holllllly sh*t. The whole league is getting soft! A whole week of OTAs canceled?! PLUS one day of minicamp. 

Might as well play two hand touch.

The amount of teams that are serious about competing for the Super Bowl continues to dwindle. Seems like the Bills are the only ones who run a tight ship and understand the immense value of non-contact June practice time #EveryRepCounts

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Just curious to all the it doesn't matter people.

First I hear OTA's - not important if anyone shows.  Won't make any difference.

Now I hear, Mini-camp practice - cancel them, no big deal.  Championships aren't won in mini-camp.

Just two questions for you guys:

1) Why have them at all then? 

2) At what point does it begin to matter?  Cancel a week of practice in Aug.?  Two weeks? Two days?

Where's the line when it will make a difference?

I don’t think Aaron Rodgers should play one preseason snap in August

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

wait, he complained about people blasting ZW last year?

and now he's non stop complaining about AR?

you can't make that stuff up.

"the truth is" actually you can if you "really" want to lol

1 hour ago, jvill 51 said:

Daboll = soft, not interested in winning, leaky wimpy practice bubble

Saleh = big strong manly man, laser focused on the Lombardi, rock solid air tight bubble

not only that remember according to some Woody is a cheap bastard.  looks like he was willling to pay enough to get a practice bubble that works.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

The amount of teams that are serious about competing for the Super Bowl continues to dwindle. Seems like the Bills are the only ones who run a tight ship and understand the immense value of non-contact June practice time #EveryRepCounts

That’s so smart, wish we had Rodgers doing Oklahoma drills with Mosely 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

not only that remember according to some Woody is a cheap bastard.  looks like he was willling to pay enough to get a practice bubble that works.

Mara = clueless, cash poor, corner cutting trust fund baby

Woody = brilliant, eccentric, win-at-all-costs titan of industry

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

Mara = clueless, cash poor, corner cutting trust fund baby

Woody = brilliant, eccentric, win-at-all-costs titan of industry

i'd argue that Mara fell into the giants ownership.  Woody had to think about it and formulate a bid.  that takes some smarts.

35 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I’m suggesting I’ve seen this movie before.  Jets have sky high expectations with a Veteran qb and don’t even bother to sign a semi-decent backup and all it takes is one fluke play

I guess.  But it's a 17 game season.  Prepping for a quarter or two during the pre-season with a new team and new offense seems pretty reasonable.

But as I said, I can understand the concerns.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Woody had to hire lawyers to think about and formulate a bid.

what's your point?

do you draw up your own contracts?   most people use lawyers and bankers to help think thru issues and strategy.   why would you not?

but the final decision comes down to the owner/person.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I’m suggesting I’ve seen this movie before.  Jets have sky high expectations with a Veteran qb and don’t even bother to sign a semi-decent backup and all it takes is one fluke play

It was a fluke play.  
Had nothing to do with Vinny being 36
Which leaves it having absolutely nothing to do with Rodgers.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I lived through the Vinny Achilles week 1 in 1999.  This is history repeating itself

Was at that game. So painful and I am not talking about anything Testaverde felt.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Easily one of the worst moments as a Jets fan.

Definitely. Remember Keyshawn smashing the mic or his fist at the dais in the post game interviews. Felt the same. Crushing

15 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

While I admire your trust and belief JD and your trust in Woody and Saleh words.  I honestly respect that and wish I had that level of trust in this organization.

I don't believe everything they say and look to their actions -  from what I can tell, the Jets have shown me they don't really think they're a contender.  

Honestly, I think I believe the Jets are better than management does.  I thought with another starting caliber T and a true impact level weapon the Jets can be a Super Bowl contender.  

What you’re saying is that you don’t like the players they’ve picked up, so -as a result- you don’t think they’re all in. Or, because they cancelled three days of spring practices, even though they have an extra week of training camp this year. 

The Jets roster was good enough to be 5-2, 6-3, and 7-4 before Breece’s wheels came off and AVT finished his season the same day. That was with fourth and fifth string OTs and Zach Wilson at QB. They’re in a much better situation on the OL and at WR than last year. Brought in another speed RB in the draft. The best TEs usually don’t contribute much until their second years and Ruckert has just finished a solid spring. Oh, and that defense is for real. You never mention it, lol. 

It just feels as if you didn’t like what they gave up for Rodgers but, now that they have, you think they should do some more mortgaging to bring in an eight-figure WR to be the #2 here? And if they don’t, then they don’t believe.

I’m really not taking them at their word here, I think the presence of Rodgers means they’re all in. This idea you’ve espoused, that they brought in Rodgers to placate the fans and save JD’s job, only works if they actually win football games. They see this as a playoff team. There’s no doubt in my mind. Without the injuries, last year’s team looked like a playoff team. 

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Constantly, yes.  And he called it "psychosis".  

He was an obnoxious Wilson defender and now he's an obnoxious Rodgers/Jets "hater".  It's all quite silly.  

What we are seeing is a classic overcorrection, with terrible timing I might add. Imagine getting so emotionally invested and then burned by Zach Wilson that you can’t enjoy Aaron Freakin’ Rodgers.

It’s like spurning sexual advances by Jessica Biel because you’re still crushed by the time when you caught your junior high girlfriend kissing Jimmy Smathers behind the jungle gym after 4th period Biology.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, slats said:

What you’re saying is that you don’t like the players they’ve picked up, so -as a result- you don’t think they’re all in. Or, because they cancelled three days of spring practices, even though they have an extra week of training camp this year. 

Well, it's not that I don't like the players.  I like Lazard, I like Cobb etc.  It's the level of player they are that is the concern. They aren't guys that are going to make a major difference, mostly interchangeable with what we pretty much already had, maybe slight upgrades, maybe.  

Canceling the practices isn't a big deal - it's just another small piece of the puzzle.  Extra practices are good, if you have an opportunity for an advantage, in a league with razor thin margins, you should take it.  

6 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets roster was good enough to be 5-2, 6-3, and 7-4 before Breece’s wheels came off and AVT finished his season the same day. That was with fourth and fifth string OTs and Zach Wilson at QB. They’re in a much better situation on the OL and at WR than last year. Brought in another speed RB in the draft. The best TEs usually don’t contribute much until their second years and Ruckert has just finished a solid spring. Oh, and that defense is for real. You never mention it, lol. 

Jets last year were an interesting team.  They got immensely lucky with the QB's they played.  They caught a lot of teams at really bad times.  That's not to say I don't like this team - I do.

And yes, I do really like the defense.  They have two impact players in Sauce and QW and solid depth across the DL.  There are concerns at LB and S though.  But still, I think they are, as you say "for real".  But defenses don't win Championships anymore.  

Come playoff time, when you run into the chiefs - your defense isn't going to stop them - you're likely going to need to be able to put up 30+ points to win

6 hours ago, slats said:

It just feels as if you didn’t like what they gave up for Rodgers but, now that they have, you think they should do some more mortgaging to bring in an eight-figure WR to be the #2 here? And if they don’t, then they don’t believe.

This is exactly what I'm saying.  If you go out and bend over to get Rodgers for this short window..  Then yes, you better damn sure go out and support him with as much talent as you can get your hands on. 

6 hours ago, slats said:

I’m really not taking them at their word here, I think the presence of Rodgers means they’re all in. This idea you’ve espoused, that they brought in Rodgers to placate the fans and save JD’s job, only works if they actually win football games. They see this as a playoff team. There’s no doubt in my mind. Without the injuries, last year’s team looked like a playoff team. 

Again, I like the team.  I'm glad Rodgers is here, I think this team is likely to go the playoffs.  I just wish they did more to put themselves over the top.  From what I can tell the plan was to get Rodgers and then business as usual - and that just strikes me as odd.

Surely they can still make a couple of big moves and prove me wrong - I hope they do.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

What we are seeing is a classic overcorrection, with terrible timing I might add. Imagine getting so emotionally invested and then burned by Zach Wilson that you can’t enjoy Aaron Freakin’ Rodgers.

It’s like spurning sexual advances by Jessica Biel because you’re still crushed by the time when you caught your junior high girlfriend kissing Jimmy Smathers behind the jungle gym after 4th period Biology.

- starting Zach Wilson w/ Joe Flacco as the back up = serious about Super Bowl

- starting Aaron Rodgers w/ Zach Wilson as the back up = not serious about Super Bowl

That's the logic you face while engaging w/ Fido.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

- starting Zach Wilson w/ Joe Flacco as the back up = serious about Super Bowl

- starting Aaron Rodgers w/ Zach Wilson as the back up = not serious about Super Bowl

That's the logic you face while engaging w/ Fido.

I believe we are seeing the manifestation in another form of the continuing psycho-emotional devastation wrought by being so wrong -- and vocally so -- about Zach.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Well, it's not that I don't like the players.  I like Lazard, I like Cobb etc.  It's the level of player they are that is the concern. They aren't guys that are going to make a major difference, mostly interchangeable with what we pretty much already had, maybe slight upgrades, maybe.  

Who left that cancels out the 3 WRs we brought in?  Berrios and who?

Canceling the practices isn't a big deal - it's just another small piece of the puzzle.  Extra practices are good, if you have an opportunity for an advantage, in a league with razor thin margins, you should take it.

Cancelling practices are no big deal, it’s why so many teams have also done it.  Difference is their fans aren’t telling everyone it proof positive that the CS, GM and owner don’t believe the team is a contender 

Come playoff time, when you run into the chiefs - your defense isn't going to stop them - you're likely going to need to be able to put up 30+ points to win

If the Eagles defense was better, one more stop, they win the SB.  Defense doesn’t win championships anymore isn’t true, the definition of what is a dominant defense has changed.  The bar has been lowered.  
The Jets defense is why so many think they’ll be a contender, a difference maker.

Again, I like the team.  I'm glad Rodgers is here, I think this team is likely to go the playoffs.  I just wish they did more to put themselves over the top.  From what I can tell the plan was to get Rodgers and then business as usual - and that just strikes me as odd.

You keep saying the same things.  You acknowledge the additions then turn around and say they didn’t do anything.  Then it’s not enough.  You think this is Madden 2023.  As if we’re not operating under the cap.  We need to spend 15M on a question mark like OBJ because you just wanted him.  You can’t just sign pro bowl players as backups everywhere.  
What are we going to do if so and so goes down. We need to have two #1s at every position in case the starter misses time.  OMG, teams don’t deal with injuries every week, but the Jets are different.  It will be the death of us.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who left that cancels out the 3 WRs we brought in?  Berrios and who?

Cancelling practices are no big deal, it’s why so many teams have also done it.  Difference is their fans aren’t telling everyone it proof positive that the CS, GM and owner don’t believe the team is a contender 

In a vacuum it isn't a big deal, I've been clear about that. - In conjunction with everything else it's just another brick in the wall.

If the Eagles defense was better, one more stop, they win the SB.  Defense doesn’t win championships anymore isn’t true, the definition of what is a dominant defense has changed.  The bar has been lowered.  
The Jets defense is why so many think they’ll be a contender, a difference maker.

Seriously? The Chiefs scored 38 points.  Eagles put up 35 and still lost.   

You keep saying the same things.  You acknowledge the additions then turn around and say they didn’t do anything

I never said they didn't do anything.  Not once.  I also never said I don't like the team, I do. 

I do not believe they've done enough to win a Championship.  And I believe NY Jets management/ownerships know they didn't do enough either and are comfortable with that decision.

I think there’s probably some psychology going on here. The players hate camp, and they hate preseason games. That’s true across the league. The Jets have to report to camp a week early because they have an extra preseason game, you know the players have to be dreading that. Probably not too shyly, either. 

So then the head coach cancels the mandatory spring camp. Players are probably pretty happy to get these three days of non-contact practice off. Also gives two of your best players cover to not attend. It’s a win-win. They still have more practices than every team in the league except Cleveland. 

I just wish they did more to put themselves over the top.  From what I can tell the plan was to get Rodgers and then business as usual - and that just strikes me as odd.

I suspect that they really like the way they do business, and they saw Rodgers as an addition to their plan rather than the Hail Mary! that you might prefer it to be. 

• Upvote 2

I never said they didn't do anything.  Not once.  I also never said I don't like the team, I do. 

I do not believe they've done enough to win a Championship.  And I believe NY Jets management/ownerships know they didn't do enough either and are comfortable with that decision.

I think anyone who thinks this regime doesn’t think they did enough and are OK with that then you’re fooling yourself.