Saleh cancels minicamp

Just curious to all the it doesn't matter people.

First I hear OTA's - not important if anyone shows.  Won't make any difference.

Now I hear, Mini-camp practice - cancel them, no big deal.  Championships aren't won in mini-camp.

Just two questions for you guys:

1) Why have them at all then? 

2) At what point does it begin to matter?  Cancel a week of practice in Aug.?  Two weeks? Two days?

Where's the line when it will make a difference?

19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Now I hear, Mini-camp practice - cancel them, no big deal.  Championships aren't won in mini-camp.

2) At what point does it begin to matter?  Cancel a week of practice in Aug.?  Two weeks? Two days?

On-field OTA workouts and minicamp sessions have never really mattered much when it came to on-field performance in the regular season or beyond.  That’s what training camp, particularly when the pads come on, is for.

No one is suggesting or hinting at the idea of canceling sessions in August.  Furthermore, no one ever cared about OTAs or minicamp this much until social media became a thing and the NFL decided to up the ante on their coverage of these glorified games of catch to generate non-stop, year-round, marketing.

When Saleh decides that he’s not holding any padded practices, starts canceling weeks of practice to hold summer BBQs for the team at his place, or some weird combination of the two, I will care.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Mogglez said:

On-field OTAs and minicamp sessions have never really mattered much when it came to on-field performance in the regular season and beyond.  That’s what training camp, particularly when the pads come on, is for.

No one is suggesting or hinting at the idea of canceling sessions in August.  Furthermore, no one ever cared about OTAs or minicamp this much until social media became a thing and the NFL decided to up the ante on their coverage of these glorified games of catch to generate non-stop, year-round, marketing.

When Saleh decides that he’s not holding any padded practices, starts canceling weeks of practice to hold summer BBQs for the team at his place, or some weird combination of the both, I will care.

Fair enough. 

Your point is - OTA's and mini-camps aren't important.  But padded practices and weeks of summer practices are.

So, I just want to respectfully ask the question again.  Why have the former at all? Why not just give these guys off, forget about OTA's, forget about these mini-camps and have everyone come in ready for full camp?  

Fair enough. 
Your point is - OTA's and mini-camps aren't important.  But padded practices and weeks of summer practices are.
So, I just want to respectfully ask the question again.  Why have the former at all? Why not just give these guys off, forget about OTA's, forget about these mini-camps and have everyone come in ready for full camp?  
I see it's all or nothing with you. Either have them all or cancel them all. Makes perfect sense :/

2 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:
Fair enough. 

I see it's all or nothing with you. Either have them all or cancel them all. Makes perfect sense 😕

No.  I'm being told they don't matter and will never affect how the team performs.  I'm just trying to understand at what point they do matter.  

If you cancel all of them, will it matter? half?

I'm of the belief these guys make a pretty good living and asking them to show up to a few weeks a year in the summer seems reasonable and it always feels, to me, like more practice is better than less.  

Most here don't believe that and they may be right.  

I'm honestly trying to understand though - when does it matter.  When would it make a difference?

46 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think trying to get to the regular season with the roster intact might be something they are thinking about. We been riddled with injuries last couple years. The line when it makes a difference with be the line between wins and losses. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

When Saleh decides that he’s not holding any padded practices, starts canceling weeks of practice to hold summer BBQs for the team at his place, or some weird combination of the two, I will care.

Not if you're invited to the BBQ.

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No.  I'm being told they don't matter and will never affect how the team performs.  I'm just trying to understand at what point they do matter.  

I'm of the belief these guys make a pretty good living and asking them to show up to a few weeks a year in the summer seems reasonable and it always feels, to me, like more practice is better than less.  

I'm honestly trying to understand though - when does it matter.  When would it make a difference?

The Jets have as many practices, no more, than 30 other teams.  Extra game this summer. Duh. I'll care when the Jets start practicing less than other teams.

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Fair enough. 

They aren’t important in terms of “…on-field performance, in the regular season” is what I said.  That is my point.

Truthfully, considering how many lightly seasoned AND grizzled veterans take these things off, I’m not too sure.  I do know that players, via their union, have wanted the time spent doing them reduced for years.  That’s why workout and attendance bonuses became more of a thing.  That being said, it does allow the guys (new and returning) time to workout a little bit, be around one-another a little early, team-build, have some meetings, get ahead in learning some new little nuances/changes to the offense, defense, and special teams, etc.

Most of the heavy lifting there is, again, done in training camp, but it doesn’t hurt.  Again, that’s the point.  Almost nothing done now wins championships, and it doesn’t hurt so, in the grand scheme, it doesn’t really matter.  It never did.

Replies in bold.

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

While this is a solid football team I do not believe Jets management (Woody and JD specifically) believe it's a realistic Super Bowl contending one..  Particularly the offense.

• No #2 weapon (WR or otherwise)
  • Only one legitimate T on the roster and he's 38, recovering from injury and still incapable of playing.
  • Guy like Tomlinson is still penciled in as a starting G
  • RB - The only ones we know can play were awful last year.
  • Soon to be 40 year old QB coming off his worst season

Now, this isn't to say this is a bad team, it's not.  I believe the Jets think they've put tougher a quality team - but there have been ample opportunity to upgrade each and every one of those holes.  They chose not to get aggressive enough to fill them.

Teams that truly believe they're a legitimate Super Bowl contenders don't go into a season with only one Tackle with a 40 year old QB.

Things like canceling the limited amount of practices you're allowed to have - when installing a new offense, with a new OC, QB and so many new faces surely helps to further clarify their position.

The Aaron Rodgers signing appeases the fan base and makes them a legitimate playoff contender.  That saves Joe's job and lets him continue his 6 year rebuild.  But this off-season has not been managed like a team that really believes they are serious championship contenders.

It was get Rodgers at all costs and then business as usual.

This list has nothing to do with how the Jets management might feel about the team, It’s just your rehashed list of grievances. They don’t feel the same way about Rodgers that you do. If they did, they wouldn’t’ve traded for him. It’s the same with your other complaints here. There’s no doubt they feel better about their weapons and OL than you. You’re just projecting. In reality, Saleh has described the Jets as one of a handful of teams with legit Super Bowl aspirations, and Woody had said many times -before Rodgers- that the team was just a QB away. There are no perfect football teams. This one has a lot of good pieces, though, including a very good defense that you always fail to mention, and these guys are in. Rodgers is in, too, which he didn’t seem to be last year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Better.

Think I'm an ass all you want - but I am speaking, what I believe to be, the truth.  

You might think they're a Super Bowl contender, I might think it - and heck, maybe they are....

But Jets management do not.  Well, not a serious one anyway.

That is all I'm saying.

No one is saying they're not trying.  Just like JD has been managing the team for the past 5 years (or any GM building a program). You build while planning for the future - but when you really think you have a legitimate shot to make a Super Bowl run.  You go for it.

It's very clear the Jets aren't "going for it"  This is a business as usual year.  

They expect to be better and to get into the playoffs - but that seems to be the height of their realistic expectations.

Season 4 Troll GIF by Living Single

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

While this is a solid football team I do not believe Jets management (Woody and JD specifically) believe it's a realistic Super Bowl contending one..  Particularly the offense.

• No #2 weapon (WR or otherwise)
  • Only one legitimate T on the roster and he's 38, recovering from injury and still incapable of playing.
  • Guy like Tomlinson is still penciled in as a starting G
  • RB - The only ones we know can play were awful last year.
  • Soon to be 40 year old QB coming off his worst season

Now, this isn't to say this is a bad team, it's not.  I believe the Jets think they've put tougher a quality team - but there have been ample opportunity to upgrade each and every one of those holes.  They chose not to get aggressive enough to fill them.

Teams that truly believe they're a legitimate Super Bowl contenders don't go into a season with only one Tackle with a 40 year old QB.

Things like canceling the limited amount of practices you're allowed to have - when installing a new offense, with a new OC, QB and so many new faces surely helps to further clarify their position.

The Aaron Rodgers signing appeases the fan base and makes them a legitimate playoff contender.  That saves Joe's job and lets him continue his 6 year rebuild.  But this off-season has not been managed like a team that really believes they are serious championship contenders.

It was get Rodgers at all costs and then business as usual.

troll GIF

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Every NFL team that really believe they're Super Bowl contenders do everything in their power not to go into a season with open holes.

We very well may be.  But, again, when you have a 40 year old QB and one year to win a Championship - you don't take that risk and hope...

I think this is completely fair and don't disagree with one word of it.  Sure, Rodgers can revert back to MVP form (or even to a lesser extent play at top 5 QB level) And if all goes well with health this can be a team that can make a SB run.  

I think HC is a huge question mark for sure.  I like the combination of Rodgers and Hackett though.  I think we break the playoff drought this year.  I am worried, although, that without some additions getting much further than that will be tough.

------

16 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I am happy with Rodgers and excited for the season.  I am frustrated with Jets management more than anything else. 

They got rolled in the Rodgers trade and then brought in no additional impact support to better the roster.  

I honestly thought once Rodgers was brought in the Jets would get aggressive and make moves to position this team to win a Super Bowl.  They have not.

It should still be a very fun season though and I'm very much looking forward to it.

white teeth troll GIF

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

troll trolling GIF

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

troll GIF

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, slats said:

This list has nothing to do with how the Jets management might feel about the team, It’s just your rehashed list of grievances. They don’t feel the same way about Rodgers that you do. If they did, they wouldn’t’ve traded for him. It’s the same with your other complaints here. There’s no doubt they feel better about their weapons and OL than you. You’re just projecting. In reality, Saleh has described the Jets as one of a handful of teams with legit Super Bowl aspirations, and Woody had said many times -before Rodgers- that the team was just a QB away. There are no perfect football teams. This one has a lot of good pieces, though, including a very good defense that you always fail to mention, and these guys are in. Rodgers is in, too, which he didn’t seem to be last year. 

While I admire your trust and belief JD and your trust in Woody and Saleh words.  I honestly respect that and wish I had that level of trust in this organization.

I don't believe everything they say and look to their actions -  from what I can tell, the Jets have shown me they don't really think they're a contender.  

Honestly, I think I believe the Jets are better than management does.  I thought with another starting caliber T and a true impact level weapon the Jets can be a Super Bowl contender.  

• Haha 1

Rodgers won't stink.  But he is about to be 40 and they know that.  They saw the decline in his play last year.  Rodgers is still a good QB and likely to finish somewhere in the top half of the league.  Did they overpay? I think for sure - but for them it was as much about the PR and throwing the fan base a bone than it was about how much better he will be than Carr. 

baloney.  the fan base would have been happy with anyone including Carr who gave them a chance to win.

you and others always go to the worst with jets brass.   personally i don't think they would put themselves in cap hell for just a year of above average qb play.  but you can think whatever, we won't know the correct answer.

• I certainly would have over paid for Orlando Brown and did whatever it took to get him here.  Or signed any of the other starting caliber T's that were available.  
  • I would have matched Baltimore's offer for OBJ - or I would have already signed Hopkins

Look, as I've stated this isn't a bad team - it's a good one right now.  But if you really believe you're a contender you don't leave two holes like that gapping open.

Hopkins didn't want to come here - or are you a fan of just overpaying people to come to the Jets no matter what?  and you sure OBJ would come here versus Ravens - he's not going to be WR1 here.

So OBJ and OB both got around $15MM for 1 year deals.

So remind me how you plan on adding $30MM to the cap spending?  who are you cutting?  Davis I assume is one.

be interesting to see how Davis does versus OBJ and how much worse he is.

which T would you get rid of?

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Ok, I'm done but seriously, why is anyone responding to this nonsense?  He's ruining every single thread w/ the Jets arent serious, here's my stupid list of criteria why.  Silly, just respond w/ a troll gif and dont let yourself get caught up in his nonsense.

Instead, lets discuss how 3 days in shorts playing grab ass in the worst air quality in the world is probably the end all be all for the NY Jets who have extra practices and an extra preseason game this offseason in addition to a veteran led team. 

Funny how this guy complained about every thread getting cluttered with Zach Wilson "hate" last year, only to turn around and spew hate at a HOF QB in every thread in '23.  

In the running for Worst ex-Captain Ever?

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

they are practicing more than any other team already this year.  

i think more often than not the teams playing in HOF game cancel this minicamp.   

i think players appreciate that alot.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Funny how this guy complained about every thread getting cluttered with Zach Wilson "hate" last year, only to turn around and spew hate at a HOF QB in every thread in '23.  

wait, he complained about people blasting ZW last year?

and now he's non stop complaining about AR?

you can't make that stuff up.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

wait, he complained about people blasting ZW last year?

Constantly, yes.  And he called it "psychosis".  

He was an obnoxious Wilson defender and now he's an obnoxious Rodgers/Jets "hater".  It's all quite silly.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah but last year, the Jets were serious about winning a Super Bowl and now they're not.

• Haha 1

I put Fidelio on ignore weeks ago. I noticed a pattern where he posted a single really obnoxious sentence and then when someone quoted him he’d reply with 3 paragraphs of “ well what I really mean is “

Whatever dude lol

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

Daboll = soft, not interested in winning, leaky wimpy practice bubble

Saleh = big strong manly man, laser focused on the Lombardi, rock solid air tight bubble

Saleh just earned his salty spittoon badge lol

@Matt39

IMG_6304.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

While I admire your trust and belief JD and your trust in Woody and Saleh words.  I honestly respect that and wish I had that level of trust in this organization.

I don't believe everything they say and look to their actions -  from what I can tell, the Jets have shown me they don't really think they're a contender.  

Honestly, I think I believe the Jets are better than management does.  I thought with another starting caliber T and a true impact level weapon the Jets can be a Super Bowl contender.  

troll GIF