OT: Jets Writer Connor Hughes can’t find a home with $600K budget

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

Not even close, we have so much left we aren't even using the tech we have to get it because we don't need to.

So you just discount the entire idea that burning carbons endlessly has any effect on the environment?  

If I knew the next big thing, I'd be investing in it :) 

Why not?  It's been the way of things for literally all of human history.  Even in communist countries (worse there, actually).

The "average person" in a western democracy is a fat, lazy, stupid, happy sheep who talks a good game and does piss all. 

They're not rioting any time soon.  Sorry.

The smart will rise, the dumb will fall.  Same as it's always been.

Since I do not know how to take quote by quote, I will do my best here:

Hate to tell you Fish, but there is TONS of evidence on the contrary about oil.  There might be tons of oil left, but it is not cheap to get at.  I mean, we could go on about this all day, but it will come down to what you believe the evidence points to, and I believe what the evidence points to.  While not a scientist, I would suggest Jeff Rubin's "Why Your World Is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller."  I have a personal connection with this one, but moot point if you don't think it's legitimate.  

As for the electric car, again....Nobody gives two sh*ts about the environment.  Plumbing the earth to deplete rare elements and selling it as an environmental option.  Again, if you think otherwise, nothing I could say or do will change that. 

As for the "why not" comment, not to be a dick, but that is WOEFULLYY inaccurate.  Human history goes back hundreds of thousands of years.  It is only in recent human history that the concept of a hierarchical understanding of community began.  And the comment about communism, again....WOEFULLY inaccurate.  I am completely amazed that relatively intelligent humans can believe 'communist' countries are 'brainwashed' individuals while not for a moment considering that they themselves in their 'democratic' societies might not actually be the ones who are being brainwashed.  Then again, your comment about 'Western' democracies might apply.  From both political spectrums.  If someone hasn't, at the very least, read Das Capital and the Communist Manifesto, then any comments made about Communism is rendered pointless.  Can't talk about something you don't know anything about (not you specifically, but rather the general trash talker about said topic).

Again, the whole "survival of the fittest" was not how humanity lived for hundreds of thousands of years.  But, it does feel like western societies certainly believe human history began a few thousand years ago.....probably around the time God rested.   

3 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

J/K.  I completely agree.  The area I live in has seen a big increase in prices.  There are rental rates that are two to three times my mortgage.

I live North of Nashville and we are essentially a suburb now.

Nope...That's why I put affordable in quotations.  That the average house anywhere is a quarter of a million dollars shows that, for the most 'intelligent' species on the planet, we sure are gettin' purdy stoopid.  Not to mention cruel. 

23 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Since I do not know how to take quote by quote, I will do my best here:

Hate to tell you Fish, but there is TONS of evidence on the contrary about oil.  There might be tons of oil left, but it is not cheap to get at.  I mean, we could go on about this all day, but it will come down to what you believe the evidence points to, and I believe what the evidence points to.  While not a scientist, I would suggest Jeff Rubin's "Why Your World Is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller."  I have a personal connection with this one, but moot point if you don't think it's legitimate.  

As for the electric car, again....Nobody gives two sh*ts about the environment.  Plumbing the earth to deplete rare elements and selling it as an environmental option.  Again, if you think otherwise, nothing I could say or do will change that. 

As for the "why not" comment, not to be a dick, but that is WOEFULLYY inaccurate.  Human history goes back hundreds of thousands of years.  It is only in recent human history that the concept of a hierarchical understanding of community began.  And the comment about communism, again....WOEFULLY inaccurate.  I am completely amazed that relatively intelligent humans can believe 'communist' countries are 'brainwashed' individuals while not for a moment considering that they themselves in their 'democratic' societies might not actually be the ones who are being brainwashed.  Then again, your comment about 'Western' democracies might apply.  From both political spectrums.  If someone hasn't, at the very least, read Das Capital and the Communist Manifesto, then any comments made about Communism is rendered pointless.  Can't talk about something you don't know anything about (not you specifically, but rather the general trash talker about said topic).

Again, the whole "survival of the fittest" was not how humanity lived for hundreds of thousands of years.  But, it does feel like western societies certainly believe human history began a few thousand years ago.....probably around the time God rested.   

Appreciate the effort, truly, but we're so far apart on this that I'm not sure it's worth the extensive effort to try and get closer. 

Suffice it to say I think you're way off base on many of your claims here, factually not necessarily philosophically, and if we cannot even agree on basic facts, we're not going to find any agreement on a likely projected future.  

Just a reminder, let's avoid politics. Sure some of this blends together, but we hate banning people and that is what happened in this thread.

Back on topic, I DMed Connor the house I mentioned a few down from me. It was just reduced to 599k. A day later I saw they put the under contract sign on it. 

Oh well. I could have had some nice scoops!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I will say, just from my observations (nothing more) a lot of peers or people that I have known have married girls with unrealistic expectations (shocker lol). They buy a house and want to upgrade everything immediately. Want to fancy cars. Vacations. Camps. You name it. The area was more affordable back in the 80’s 90’s but the upgrades people did were slow and gradual and people weren’t splurging on expensive cars either. I suspect Connors wife may fall into this category.

Somebody’s been hurt before.

Does he want a tissue?  I hope everything stays sky high cause I just went into contract on a fairly large expensive house, that isn't that large or comparably expensive.  I will have to sell this townhouse to afford it.  So I hope the prices stay up.  I might sell it to Connor within his budget, but he will probably whine about driving over the bridge.  I don't understand how anyone can say paying a bunch of money for a home is "stoopid."  What are you supposed to spend it on?  Who decides what constitutes a bunch of money or why $250K is supposed to be a lot?  Money is only worth what you can buy with it. 

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Does he want a tissue?  I hope everything stays sky high cause I just went into contract on a fairly large expensive house, that isn't that large or comparably expensive.  I will have to sell this townhouse to afford it.  So I hope the prices stay up.  I might sell it to Connor within his budget, but he will probably whine about driving over the bridge.  I don't understand how anyone can say paying a bunch of money for a home is "stoopid."  What are you supposed to spend it on?  Who decides what constitutes a bunch of money or why $250K is supposed to be a lot?  Money is only worth what you can buy with it. 

Lol I understand the sentiment, and it's why I haven't dipped my toe in.  Would suck to be in your shoes if a housing market correction happened tomorrow.

28 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Lol I understand the sentiment, and it's why I haven't dipped my toe in.  Would suck to be in your shoes if a housing market correction happened tomorrow.

I was waiting for that correction when I moved overseas in 2006.  It happened while I was there living rent free and the prices were already way above when I left by the time I returned to the States. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/11/2023 at 6:50 PM, Matt39 said:

We saw the writing on the wall a decade ago. Northeast housing is silly. Perhaps we move back north at some point later in life. But yeah, move in your 30’s out of there and figure it out when you’re more settled. He could always write for another team and there are healthcare jobs everywhere. 

No sympathy at all. Either needs to lower his expectations or move elsewhere.

You can get a fixer upper on that budget is some pleasant middle class places in the outer boros(SI, Marine Park, Howard Beach)  or nonshore communities on LI or Rockland and Orange. Alas, problem is he wants to live in an upscale place on that budget and not sink in another $60k to make it liveable. That doesn't exist. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think it’s fair to say two working adults with decent credit could afford a 250K mortgage with the right spending habits.

On 6/12/2023 at 10:39 AM, southparkcpa said:

It's a bubble when it bursts. I don't see that. In 2008, I had clients buying homes in Florida, the beach etc with no money down.  Congress pushed banks to make loans to people who never should have been able to buy a home.  Banks now are scrutinizing the crap out of buyers for principal residences.  What makes you say this is a bubble?  Again, I define a bubble by a drop of say 20 to 30 percent.  I don't see it here.   

That did not end well in 2008. And the feds are in the process of making roughly the same thing right now. 

Recall being at closings back then where realtors were saying dumb things like "Don't worry about not being able to make payments.  We can sell this house for 10% markup at least 1 a year".  Uh, no. 

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

27BC14EC-3491-4B6D-B091-5608F07EE0E8.gif

1st house, during fixup, the conversation was to the effect that we needed more paint. And my response is, I have no more money. But paying rent and not building up equity on your own home is a long term mistake. Better you buy a lesser house and fix it up than pay somebody else's mortgage.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bugg said:

That did not end well in 2008. And the feds are in the process of making roughly the same thing right now. 

Recall being at closings back then where realtors were saying dumb things like "Don't worry about not being able to make payments.  We can sell this house for 10% markup at least 1 a year".  Uh, no. 

I don’t know. 08 they were handing out mortgages to people with terrible credit and houses they couldn’t afford. A lot harder to qualify now.

• Upvote 2

On 6/12/2023 at 5:50 PM, southparkcpa said:

THIS. One day, someone is gonna stop buying our debt.  It’s the equivalent of a family earning 10K a month and spending 15K a month.  It must stop at some point. 

As a component of the federal budget, interest is the 4th largest component. 

39 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Agreed but now I haven't seen a bank make a loan to someone who actually can't afford it. I'm starting to see banks scrutinize documents like they did in the 80's and 90's.

• Upvote 1

On 6/12/2023 at 11:28 AM, bitonti said:

The Free market cannot be trusted to set interest rates

Currencies need to managed, period

The real crime was keeping money free for 12+ years. Lending shouldn't be free, it's artificial like eating snickers bars for dinner

Those who disagree essentially don't believe in Keynesian economics - The Austrian "School" might as well be called "we have no ideas" 

Not believing in Keynes is like being a physicist who doesn't believe in Einsteinian relativity 

The free market does set interest rates.  Take a look at the yield curve.  FYI interest rates being kept low was managed and our debt service was being bought and sold at those very low rates.  In Germany people bought their debt and paid them interest.  Those are market based bets by people, central banks and governments  buying bonds.  

Are you actually implying that treasuries and bonds aren't being priced in real time by an open market of buyers and sellers?

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I will say, just from my observations (nothing more) a lot of peers or people that I have known have married girls with unrealistic expectations (shocker lol). They buy a house and want to upgrade everything immediately. Want to fancy cars. Vacations. Camps. You name it. The area was more affordable back in the 80’s 90’s but the upgrades people did were slow and gradual and people weren’t splurging on expensive cars either. I suspect Connors wife may fall into this category.

They should stop marrying girls and find a women to marry.  

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

The free market does set interest rates.  Take a look at the yield curve.  FYI interest rates being kept low was managed and our debt service was being bought and sold at those very low rates.  In Germany people bought their debt and paid them interest.  Those are market based bets by people, central banks and governments  buying bonds.  

Are you actually implying that treasuries and bonds aren't being priced in real time by an open market of buyers and sellers?

i agree with almost everything in this post except that at some point the Fed steps in and it's not a completely free market anymore. But you're right that the price of debt informs the market as to how much demand there is for US debt etc 

this housing thing by the way is bigger than rates. There's been a supply shortage since the late aughts. And the buyers aren't just Americans getting mortgages it's global citizens paying cash. There are laws that could help with this but the fed and the free market are powerless to stop external investment, stop local zoning laws, change the price of lumber etc. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/12/2023 at 5:50 PM, southparkcpa said:

THIS. One day, someone is gonna stop buying our debt.  It’s the equivalent of a family earning 10K a month and spending 15K a month.  It must stop at some point. 

people forget about the USA's assets

the land, the army, the robots on Mars. The USA has hundreds of trillions of dollars to borrow against, enough to make the national debt look like crumbs  

it's not like a family earning 10 and spending 15.

it's more like a millionaire taking a HLOC to replace the roof on his mansion because he can. Because the cash has an opportunity cost and the bank is giving him free money.

Not because he lacks the cash 

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

Appreciate the effort, truly, but we're so far apart on this that I'm not sure it's worth the extensive effort to try and get closer. 

Suffice it to say I think you're way off base on many of your claims here, factually not necessarily philosophically, and if we cannot even agree on basic facts, we're not going to find any agreement on a likely projected future.  

It is funny how 'factual' and 'philosophical' can muddy between individuals.  Your claim to 'facts' and my claim to 'facts' might not be as philosophically different as you think.  But the ego can sure get in the way at times.

War, I have never met you, but I have always respected you.  If you don't want to continue, we won't.  If you ever do, reach out privately.  I would say over a beer, but no offense.....I don't want to drive to Washington D.C.!  Cheers fellow Jets fan.  

And to Maxman:  No offense here.  We were absolutely skirting the boundaries of politics trying to have a conversation.  If it continues, we will do so privately.  Cheers! 

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the land, the army, the robots on Mars. The USA has hundreds of trillions of dollars to borrow against, enough to make the national debt look like crumbs  

it's more like a millionaire taking a HLOC to replace the roof on his mansion because he can. Because the cash has an opportunity cost and the bank is giving him free money.

Plus we have a huge military and can take the gold other countries are holding any time we want.  

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Plus we have a huge military and can take the gold other countries are holding any time we want.  

this is a flippant comment but the military is not only hard assets to be borrowed against, it's also capability

and that idea drives the US dollar's value on the global scale

that's the essential problem with Bitcoin. Besides the fact that their Fed is AWOL, there's no Bitcoin army to show up to fight on behalf of Bitcoin. there's no Bitcoin basketball team for LeBron to play for - all these little stupid "cultural" ideas add up to big power - it's faith in the currency  

the USD the strength of the currency is one half stealth bombers one half Taylor Swift

the fed is just a janitor that works in the building, fixing the leaky pipes every so often  

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

this is a flippant comment but the military is not only hard assets to be borrowed against, it's also capability

and that idea drives the US dollar's value on the global scale

that's the essential problem with Bitcoin. Besides the fact that their Fed is AWOL, there's no Bitcoin army to show up to fight on behalf of Bitcoin. there's no Bitcoin basketball team for LeBron to play for - all these little stupid "cultural" ideas add up to big power - it's faith in the currency  

the USD the strength of the currency is one half stealth bombers one half Taylor Swift

the fed is just a janitor that works in the building, fixing the leaky pipes every so often  

It was a serious comment.   

• Upvote 1

On 6/14/2023 at 1:41 PM, Maxman said:

Just a reminder, let's avoid politics. Sure some of this blends together, but we hate banning people and that is what happened in this thread.

Back on topic, I DMed Connor the house I mentioned a few down from me. It was just reduced to 599k. A day later I saw they put the under contract sign on it. 

Oh well. I could have had some nice scoops!

KRL is a much better writer and footballguy a better source anyway

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

So we'll sell US assets to the Chinese to support our out of control spending??? 

Connor should be my neighbor.  Good ole Carmel, Indiana.  One of the safest, most affordable cities to live in. 

https://smartasset.com/data-studies/americas-safest-suburbs-2023

1. Carmel, IN
Carmel is the most affordable of the safest suburbs in America. In this community of nearly 100,000 people, households typically spend $18,048 per year on housing or 15.07% of the median household income ($119,772).