KRL Camp Notes (7/21/23)

KRL

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

AR coaching Zach on the dirt ballz is music to my ears.

Zach’s 2 biggest issues imo we’re not stepping up in the pocket and missing gimme passes. He’d have added 5-7% to his completion percenatge just by not missing layups.

One of the more significant tidbits in the report. Good lord, could AR really help the kid?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, slats said:

This is actually good news to me. It tells me that the defense is prioritizing takeaways. As far as the offense is concerned, it’s Day 2 and the Jets are the only team in the league practicing. If the defense is trying to smack the ball out on every rep, they should start to figure out that they need to hold onto it before too long. 

My thoughts exactly.  It's also pretty common practice when practicing without pads that the play is "dead" after the initial play is run through.  It sounds mostly likely Ulbrich trying to get his guys in the habit of just naturally doing this when going for the ball, which would be great.  Of course, if this continues for the offense once they get into pads, that will be start to cause some concern, but not really the concern for now.

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

I am afraid to even go there but rodgers coaches Zach to correct the issues and we end up with several years of rodgers followed by an effective Wilson?

I realize the economics and years prob don’t make sense but oh to dream

Any opinions on Wilson aside, the truth is unless Rodgers gets hurt or retires after only one year, Wilson's going to be looking for another chance elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

It's crazy that he scored this highly when rated as a CB, not a S.  Only thing it could potentially slightly hurt (although I'm not even sure it would) is his size great, but everything else would only be better.

His 3-cone was fairly mediocre for a CB so the move to S makes sense.  Kid's an athlete that's for sure.  

2 hours ago, KRL said:

This will sound harsh but I don't interact with the media because they aren't serious about covering the

team like I do.  This is their job and during practice they'll "chit chat" instead of focusing on things.  Where

I do this once a year and am serious about getting info and spreading it on the site

I think it's important to love your job, and then it's not really a job.  It's sad to me that these media people are not serious about covering the team.  They do a disservice to their profession and to all fans.  

It's no wonder that we all look forward to your reports.  You're the only one we can really count on for honest information, and your passion is evident from your detailed and thorough reporting.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Al Woods seems to be a real pro.  And this is where you get your run defenders cheap vets who still have gas in the tank.

Jesus....That ALMOST seems like a compliment of the front office.  The needle is M-O-V-I-N-G!!!

12 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Jesus....That ALMOST seems like a compliment of the front office.  The needle is M-O-V-I-N-G!!!

I give them tons of complements, when they deserve it.  I just don't throw roses at their feet when I think they have screwed up.  Unlike the sunshine squad.

5 hours ago, KRL said:

- Shock of shocks we may actually see an effective "screen game" this year.  Nate Hackett
called quite a few with the deep ball not available

- Michael Carter had a good day as screens and outside runs are his strengths.  And he broke off
a couple of 20+ yarders in each area

I love the screen part!  It should open up some intermediate and deep passing as well as slow down the defensive ends and linebackers.

I may be in the minority but I like Michael Carter the RB.  I hope he gets a big opportunity, especially on 3rd downs.

4 hours ago, KRL said:

The "boringness" of Rodgers highlights the problems Darnold, Wilson and their
offensive coaches created for themselves.  If Rodgers doesn't have exactly
the route he wants he'll check it down to keep the chains moving.  But both
Darnold and Wilson would get frustrated if they couldn't get the "sexy shot"
and then start forcing things which would translate into INTs.  And their
offensive coaches couldn't/wouldn't break those bad habits

I honestly think Darnold would have played the small game, but got pressure from the coaching staff to make plays.  

Complete speculation, but I think the coaches felt more pressure to look sexy from the fan base than Darnold felt himself.

"- In the early going there were multiple false starts and Zach Wilson skipped another "smoke
screen".  But Rodgers spoke to him and illustrated what he was doing wrong and no more "skips"
"

Let's hope this continues ... It was one of the aspects of signing Rodgers that really had me excited.

Obviously as camp wears on .. you hope it becomes less and less frequent.

@KRL all i can say is you are 'the man' and thanks for the splendid focussed coverage.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

"- In the early going there were multiple false starts and Zach Wilson skipped another "smoke
screen".  But Rodgers spoke to him and illustrated what he was doing wrong and no more "skips"
"

Let's hope this continues ... It was one of the aspects of signing Rodgers that really had me excited.

Obviously as camp wears on .. you hope it becomes less and less frequent.

@KRL all i can say is you are 'the man' and thanks for the splendid focussed coverage.

If Rodgers truly fixes Zacks skipping of balls after only 2 practices, I will seriously question the Coaches and his personal Coach Beck

• Upvote 1

If Rodgers truly fixes Zacks skipping of balls after only 2 practices, I will seriously question the Coaches and his personal Coach Beck
I think it will take a lot more than two practices .. but over the course of the entire preseason and by example during the season .. who knows ?

34 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I think it will take a lot more than two practices .. but over the course of the entire preseason and by example during the season .. who knows ?

What I mean is, this appears that Rodgers identified the problem and will have Wilson working to correct the issue.    Yes it will definitely take some time.   But the fact ( again this only applies if this is true) Rodgers saw the issue after two practices and none of the coaches identified the issue after two years is an issue.   

• Upvote 2

What I mean is, this appears that Rodgers identified the problem and will have Wilson working to correct the issue.    Yes it will definitely take some time.   But the fact ( again this only applies if this is true) Rodgers saw the issue after two practices and none of the coaches identified the issue after two years is an issue.   
Totally agree

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Beaver said:

As nice as it would be in theory, Wilson will have to show it on the field to even think anything of it though.  We've heard on more than a few occasions before about his supposed improvement in practice, but the kid looks totally lost the moment he sees defenders who actually want to hit him, regardless of whether they're actually near him.  If it were that easy to fix there wouldn't be the excessively wide range of QB talent in the NFL, and even if a special talent unique to Rodgers, GB would've been more than happy to get other teams to pay up for their past backups who got his magical touch.  Instead, the best that worked out was for Matt Flynn's 15 minutes.

30 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Rodgers saw the issue after two practices and none of the coaches identified the issue after two years is an issue.   

Rodgers: “Zach, come here a minute…. I discovered why you keep skipping those screen passes! You need to Aim higher next time.

• Haha 3

As nice as it would be in theory, Wilson will have to show it on the field to even think anything of it though.  We've heard on more than a few occasions before about his supposed improvement in practice, but the kid looks totally lost the moment he sees defenders who actually want to hit him, regardless of whether they're actually near him.  If it were that easy to fix there wouldn't be the excessively wide range of QB talent in the NFL, and even if a special talent unique to Rodgers, GB would've been more than happy to get other teams to pay up for their past backups who got his magical touch.  Instead, the best that worked out was for Matt Flynn's 15 minutes.
Unless Wilson is a special and unique talent that was coached poorly and severely damaged by said coaching.

If Rodgers is actually able to unf#$k this kid ... Would be an amazing accomplishment.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Unless Wilson is a special and unique talent that was coached poorly and severely damaged by said coaching.

If Rodgers is actually able to unf#$k this kid ... Would be an amazing accomplishment.

That's been spewed around here for years, as an excuse for the incompetence of the players and/or GMs.  When has it ever proven to be true though?  We heard the same about Darnold when he left and we all saw how that worked out.  Same for every other guy who the coaches were supposedly holding down and yet all turned out to just be total busts.  When was the last time a guy ever had a career turnaround after leaving the Jets?  Demario Davis had his breakout year in his second stint with the Jets, so you can't even count that one.  Want to go with James Farrior then?  It's only been a few decades since that one.  It's sure as hell never once been a QB in team history.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

That's been spewed around here for years, as an excuse for the incompetence of the players and/or GMs.  When has it ever proven to be true though?  We heard the same about Darnold when he left and we all saw how that worked out.  Same for every other guy who the coaches were supposedly holding down and yet all turned out to just be total busts.  When was the last time a guy ever had a career turnaround after leaving the Jets?  Demario Davis had his breakout year in his second stint with the Jets, so you can't even count that one.  Want to go with James Farrior then?  It's only been a few decades since that one.  It's sure as hell never once been a QB in team history.

Ehh, I hear this, good quarterbacks are usually good when they hit the field.

But we certainly threw them directly into the fire - always respected when teams had the discipline to sit their rookies for a year, or hell even eight games. Mahomes, Lamar, hell even Rodgers way back when, were all raw prospects but had the physical tools and were given time to sit.

Feel like we always just throw them right to the wolves.

• Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

The team has only reached the Super Bowl once in team history ... does that mean it cant ever happen ?  I get it .. your frustrated ... ..but you dont throw the trash out if its possible there is a diamond ring in it. Nothing wrong with hoping the kid can figure it out ... especially since hes under contract for at least two more years.

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

The team has only reached the Super Bowl once in team history ... does that mean it cant ever happen ?  I get it .. your frustrated ... ..but you dont throw the trash out if its possible there is a diamond ring in it. Nothing wrong with hoping the kid can figure it out ... especially since hes under contract for at least two more years.

Totally fair, and I certainly won't hate on having some hope and would love for it to work out for the team/him in the end.  However, let's not pretend Wilson being terrible to date isn't his own fault.  It's not like he was just so-so, the team went through numerous other JAG QBs who were getting the same coaching and Wilson was still the worst of the bunch.

No one was ever telling him to spin around in a circle and then sprint backwards 10 yards, I can say that with pretty great certainty.  Those didn't happen with such greats as Mike White, Josh Johnson, or a 60-year old Flacco.

Don't get me wrong, there's certainly reasons for optimism with this year's team, I just don't see it in the backup QB who was on track to be an all-time bust before having one mediocre practice.  I think we all know this year's team success is heavily dependent on Rodgers' health and performance.

• Upvote 1

Totally fair, and I certainly won't hate on having some hope and would love for it to work out for the team/him in the end.  However, let's not pretend Wilson being terrible to date isn't his own fault.  It's not like he was just so-so, the team went through numerous other JAG QBs who were getting the same coaching and Wilson was still the worst of the bunch.
No one was ever telling him to spin around in a circle and then sprint backwards 10 yards, I can say that with pretty great certainty.  Those didn't happen with such greats as Mike White, Josh Johnson, or a 60-year old Flacco.
Don't get me wrong, there's certainly reasons for optimism with this year's team, I just don't see it in the backup QB who was on track to be an all-time bust before having one mediocre practice.  I think we all know this year's team success is heavily dependent on Rodgers' health and performance.
Well put.

On 7/21/2023 at 2:51 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

MIms had upside really based on what? he did nothing with his time here aside like 2 plays. not to rag on you but just what the f are you talking about. He got traded because he sucked.

No offense taken (I think).  The Lions traded for him because they think he has upside.  If an NFL team didn't want him he would have been released like many other players have.

I'm not saying Mims will ever earn a starting position, I have no idea.  But he seemed to be making progress last year and with this coaching staff.  He got crowded out when AR came to town and brought two Packers with him (Lazard, Cobbs), and when the Jets decided to keep Corey Davis instead of save money.  Otherwise, Mims would have been in the mix at the bottom of the WR depth chart.  JMHO.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

No offense taken (I think).  The Lions traded for him because they think he has upside.  If an NFL team didn't want him he would have been released like many other players have.

I'm not saying Mims will ever earn a starting position, I have no idea.  But he seemed to be making progress last year and with this coaching staff.  He got crowded out when AR came to town and brought two Packers with him (Lazard, Cobbs), and when the Jets decided to keep Corey Davis instead of save money.  Otherwise, Mims would have been in the mix at the bottom of the WR depth chart.  JMHO.

thats all pretty fair. 

I really think they think he will be thier WR3, which I do not think will go well.

On 7/21/2023 at 8:25 PM, Beerfish said:

I give them tons of complements, when they deserve it.  I just don't throw roses at their feet when I think they have screwed up.  Unlike the sunshine squad.

That would seem like a lot of screw ups then!  :)

• Haha 2