5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

For the record I want to eye gouge people when the declare themselves foodies. I find it terribly off putting, especially if they are slender.” Oh yeah, well you suck at it then!” 

Fun fact there is 100% chance that anyone calling themselves a foodie can't cook for sh*t.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

On the plus side, sacking the opposing QB is an amazing equalizer and it’s the only chance you have of beating the elite teams in the game. 

Also on the plus side, it sounds like Broderick Jones is looking rough over in Steelers camp.

But on the down side, JSN is supposedly looking uncoverable in Seahawks camp. 

I thought JSN was such an easy pick - not just for the Jets necessarily, but was surprising he fell to 20. We’ll see, but I feel like that was a case of NFL GM’s just making things harder than they have to be.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

He's quick, bendy and seems to literally been made that way. 

Yes he is! and he's quoted in saying: Martial Arts for teaching him balance and hand work, Soccer for footwork and Basketball for quickness. Butterflies tattoed on his neck and a butterfly earring he wears are in remembrance of his brother who passed in 2021.  Hard working son for his family which all together makes him the Total Package if you ask me!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, derp said:

I thought JSN was such an easy pick - not just for the Jets necessarily, but was surprising he fell to 20. We’ll see, but I feel like that was a case of NFL GM’s just making things harder than they have to be.

Definitely an oddly scouted position. Jefferson, Davante, Lamb, Kupp, McLaurin, Diggs, AJ Brown are all top ten receivers who fell way down. Of the top guys, I think only Chase and maybe Waddle were top 15 picks. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Definitely an oddly scouted position. Jefferson, Davante, Lamb, Kupp, McLaurin, Diggs, AJ Brown are all top ten receivers who fell way down. Of the top guys, I think only Chase and maybe Waddle were top 15 picks. 

It was different years ago when DB’s could mug receivers and you wanted a big, physical, athletic guy. Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, AJ Green, Julio Jones. Was an incredible run in the 2000’s. Think the archetype has changed, we really haven’t seen a guy like that come into the league anyway, and teams haven’t caught up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Last year's group got out to a hot start, though. A pair of 1000+ and London dealing with Mariota who made Pitts ordinary, too. 

I think GMs just get spooked by so many high pick WRs who were just ok or were outright busts. Then again, there are plenty of round 1 edge rushers who were letdowns themselves. 

One can say JSN had a lot of attention shifted to Wilson/Olave, and that's undeniably true. But also when they both made career decisions to sit out the Rose Bowl, JSN put up good QB yardage/TD numbers. Plus while a nagging hammy isn't carrying over long-term to this season, I guess there could be some concern that they all get these soft tissue injuries and more or less missing a season with one might be a red flag for who's not going to hold up (and it's early August yet, so that concern may yet prove true); less so for a guy whose top-end speed isn't all that, even if he's no slowpoke.

There could be something of a team dynamic to the rationale as well. Having a guy playing for a veteran contract alongside guys who already have their veteran contracts, comfortable in more supporting roles, may make for better cohesion in a win-now situation than two talented pups both looking to break out individually. Or maybe Wilson privately communicated to JD that JSN is (or was) a talented tool & will be like another Moore making faces & shaking his head in the huddle or just generally complaining eff this bullsh*t every time a play calls for anyone else as the primary read.

Or it may also be one of those situations where there was no wrong decision, both end up stud players, and as much as WRs get more attention it's probably hard to land a high-sack edge rusher who isn't glaringly one-dimensional.

Of course if Wilson gets injured early, or for the postseason, WMD better get 2 sacks every game while Wilson's out, on a D that suffocates opponents to the point they need a TD less per game. At the same time, say Huff gets injured (as he often has) and they just can't get adequate pressure from the edges, so with good penetration (hey now) up the middle, a QB can just roll to his right and still get a clean look downfield. JJII may be a solid pro but he doesn't jump off the screen like McDonald, and Huff's due to be a FA after this year (plus benefits as much as anyone from situational use that keeps him fresh, healthy, and only in situations that play to his strength). With what is probably the league's top CB trio, a DL like this should be suffocating passing attacks.

With Rodgers in at QB that relentless pressure on opposing QBs (with CBs who can regularly keep the top trio of opposing WRs covered for 3-4 seconds) might end up being more of a difference-maker than upgrading from Davis to rookie JSN as the non-#1 target. Or anyway, it seems that's the idea. We all hope they're right; if they just passed on another CeeDee Lamb for someone who's kept off the field more than he's used on it, it'll be a real facepalm.

Great stuff. I think the reason passing on JSN feels like it’ll hurt is if he hits, having him and Wilson as the 1-2 passing options almost by default gives you a scary passing offense for the foreseeable future, and I think the DL was going to be strong anyway. 

Also way easier to pick up a useful rotational vet edge on a one year deal, especially if you’re a competitive team, than a useful WR. I know there’s a desire to be young on the DL but the passing game needs more help long term.

• Upvote 1

Last year's group got out to a hot start, though. A pair of 1000+ and London dealing with Mariota who made Pitts ordinary, too. 

I think GMs just get spooked by so many high pick WRs who were just ok or were outright busts. Then again, there are plenty of round 1 edge rushers who were letdowns themselves. 

One can say JSN had a lot of attention shifted to Wilson/Olave, and that's undeniably true. But also when they both made career decisions to sit out the Rose Bowl, JSN put up good QB yardage/TD numbers. Plus while a nagging hammy isn't carrying over long-term to this season, I guess there could be some concern that they all get these soft tissue injuries and more or less missing a season with one might be a red flag for who's not going to hold up (and it's early August yet, so that concern may yet prove true); less so for a guy whose top-end speed isn't all that, even if he's no slowpoke.

There could be something of a team dynamic to the rationale as well. Having a guy playing for a veteran contract alongside guys who already have their veteran contracts, comfortable in more supporting roles, may make for better cohesion in a win-now situation than two talented pups both looking to break out individually. Or maybe Wilson privately communicated to JD that JSN is (or was) a talented tool & will be like another Moore making faces & shaking his head in the huddle or just generally complaining eff this bullsh*t every time a play calls for anyone else as the primary read.

Or it may also be one of those situations where there was no wrong decision, both end up stud players, and as much as WRs get more attention it's probably hard to land a high-sack edge rusher who isn't glaringly one-dimensional.

Of course if Wilson gets injured early, or for the postseason, WMD better get 2 sacks every game while Wilson's out, on a D that suffocates opponents to the point they need a TD less per game. At the same time, say Huff gets injured (as he often has) and they just can't get adequate pressure from the edges, so with good penetration (hey now) up the middle, a QB can just roll to his right and still get a clean look downfield. JJII may be a solid pro but he doesn't jump off the screen like McDonald, and Huff's due to be a FA after this year (plus benefits as much as anyone from situational use that keeps him fresh, healthy, and only in situations that play to his strength). With what is probably the league's top CB trio, a DL like this should be suffocating passing attacks.

With Rodgers in at QB that relentless pressure on opposing QBs (with CBs who can regularly keep the top trio of opposing WRs covered for 3-4 seconds) might end up being more of a difference-maker than upgrading from Davis to rookie JSN as the non-#1 target. Or anyway, it seems that's the idea. We all hope they're right; if they just passed on another CeeDee Lamb for someone who's kept off the field more than he's used on it, it'll be a real facepalm.

Good stuff, especially the last paragragh.....when we swapped picks with GB the narrative was we lost out on drafting a tackle, but some said 'Ol McDonald was our pick all along, and we got our man. Seeing who our HC is, I have to agree with this....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

Great stuff. I think the reason passing on JSN feels like it’ll hurt is if he hits, having him and Wilson as the 1-2 passing options almost by default gives you a scary passing offense for the foreseeable future, and I think the DL was going to be strong anyway. 

Also way easier to pick up a useful rotational vet edge on a one year deal, especially if you’re a competitive team, than a useful WR. I know there’s a desire to be young on the DL but the passing game needs more help long term.

Yeah no doubt, but now look at the DL long term under this scenario in March of 2024:

• JJII is good but not an omg player in terms of generating pressure/sacks.
  • Huff is gone after this year (and remains too one-dimensional anyway to rely upon full time)
  • Lawson loses a step and anyway he's also a UFA after this year. 

Now who are your edge rushers? If the long term idea is JJII and WMD on most snaps, losing Huff and/or Lawson sooner rather than later becomes a 

However on the WR side, the only losses after this year likely include Davis and role players (Cobb, Hardman); while they have value in those roles, they aren't as hard to replace as a full-time starter, and the reality that the team shouldn't need a pair of 1s and this might be a scary scoring offense anyway.

Don't ask me to predict the future (and value) of these two players. I'm only good at hindsight criticism. :) 

5 hours ago, derp said:

It was different years ago when DB’s could mug receivers and you wanted a big, physical, athletic guy. Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, AJ Green, Julio Jones. Was an incredible run in the 2000’s. Think the archetype has changed, we really haven’t seen a guy like that come into the league anyway, and teams haven’t caught up.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Or it may also be one of those situations where there was no wrong decision, both end up stud players, and as much as WRs get more attention it's probably harder to land a cheap high-sack edge rusher who isn't glaringly one-dimensional.

I have responses to these thoughtful posts but I don’t want to give them short shrift so I will hit them up after work. 

Yeah no doubt, but now look at the DL long term under this scenario in March of 2024:

• Huff is gone after this year (and remains too one-dimensional anyway to rely upon full time)

Now who are your edge rushers? If the long term idea is JJII and WMD on most snaps, losing Huff and/or Lawson sooner rather than later becomes a 

However on the WR side, the only losses after this year likely include Davis and role players (Cobb, Hardman); while they have value in those roles, they aren't as hard to replace as a full-time starter, and the reality that the team shouldn't need a pair of 1s and this might be a scary scoring offense anyway.

Don't ask me to predict the future (and value) of these two players. I'm only good at hindsight criticism. :) 

I think that’s where the ability to find functional veterans at edge versus wide receiver plays into things, as well as what you got into a little with snap counts. A high end receiver going forward is going to play more than a high end pass rusher. You’ve also got Q who’s the real game wrecker on the DL locked up anyway.

We also don’t entirely know what Rodgers is planning, certainly didn’t around the draft (though you could argue the Jets did). But even so he’s a fickle guy anyway, won’t play forever, and even if he plays a few years Wilson and JSN should be in their prime when Rodgers hangs ‘em up. Always good to put a QB in a good situation and having two high end receivers would certainly soften that landing.

We’ll see how it all plays out though. Just feels like another scenario where the Jets will be good on defense for a while and scrambling to be good on offense in a couple years again. Same story as most of the last 20 years or so.

• Post of the Week 1

Why is everyone so quick to get rid of Huff? Guy is a beast, how bout we give him a contract? McDonald, JJ, Huff, Clemons could be the future rotation at EDGE

23 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

That was the first thing I thought when I saw the clip. A guy who can quickly and consistently get around the corner and apply pressure. It would be nice to see that role finally filled by a guy made for it instead of a 290 pound guy who's quick for his size, but not fast off the edge.

The weight is important but speed and agility is better. I believe Alan page played at 198 or so. Howie long certainly didn’t approach300.  Gastineau? Abraham? Those guys were around 275.  Macdonald is still young so he can easily add 20-30 lbs.

13 hours ago, derp said:

I wonder, too, if defense reverting to playing a bunch of two-high safety has de-emphasized the freak athlete who gets by on raw athleticism and has put a greater onus on finding cerebral guys who can manage all the option route stuff. Not sure if you caught the recent CeeDee Lamb interview where he discusses the changes to the Cowboys offense with McCarthy running the old Packers stuff, but it was really interesting how he explained the nuances in the McCarthy vs Kellen Moore systems. Sounded like Kirby Puckett talking about the art of hitting a baseball. 

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Or it may also be one of those situations where there was no wrong decision, both end up stud players, and as much as WRs get more attention it's probably harder to land a cheap high-sack edge rusher who isn't glaringly one-dimensional.

Excellent post, as usual. My thought on the WMD pick at draft time was similar—if he turns into an 8-12 sack guy, that’s a $20 million dollar player, and there aren’t ten really good rush ends in football at any given moment. Similarly, JSN’s drop almost surely has to be character-related, because the collegiate stats and performances were eye-popping. The Seahawks under Carroll have never been scared off by a dubious psych eval. I also wonder if Douglas was overconfident he could close the deal with OBJ to fill that role.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, derp said:

I think that’s where the ability to find functional veterans at edge versus wide receiver plays into things, as well as what you got into a little with snap counts. A high end receiver going forward is going to play more than a high end pass rusher. You’ve also got Q who’s the real game wrecker on the DL locked up anyway.

We also don’t entirely know what Rodgers is planning, certainly didn’t around the draft (though you could argue the Jets did). But even so he’s a fickle guy anyway, won’t play forever, and even if he plays a few years Wilson and JSN should be in their prime when Rodgers hangs ‘em up. Always good to put a QB in a good situation and having two high end receivers would certainly soften that landing.

We’ll see how it all plays out though. Just feels like another scenario where the Jets will be good on defense for a while and scrambling to be good on offense in a couple years again. Same story as most of the last 20 years or so.

If you knew that you were going all out for a ring this year, and you knew which free agents were available at each position, would you rather spend the draft pick on a designated pass rusher and sign an OBJ or draft the potentially really good slot receiver and try to sign…Jadeveon Clowney(?) Leonard Floyd(?) I’d probably take my shot with the potentially high-end DPR and pray for a good free agent receiver. 

That said, you’re spot on about the rest—the 2025 Jets are going to be threadbare and, likely, expensive. They’ll need an OLT, QB, CB2 and WR2, at minimum. 

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

The weight is important but speed and agility is better. I believe Alan page played at 198 or so. Howie long certainly didn’t approach300.  Gastineau? Abraham? Those guys were around 275.  Macdonald is still young so he can easily add 20-30 lbs.

Most of those guys are from a different era though.  The famed "Hogs" (Washington's OL) averaged 273 lbs.   The average weight of an NFL OL now is around 314lbs and the lightest is 274 (which is more than the average of the Hogs).

https://hortonbarbell.com/average-height-weight-of-nfl-offensive-linemen/

Weight of NFL Offensive Linemen 2023

8 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Why is everyone so quick to get rid of Huff? Guy is a beast, how bout we give him a contract? McDonald, JJ, Huff, Clemons could be the future rotation at EDGE

Who’s quick to get rid of him?

The fact is he’s a UFA after the season, Douglas has made no effort to extend him, and the Jets aren’t barren at edge without him.

Prepare thyself. ;) 

• Upvote 1