Jets Coaches Didn't Sleep

I must not be a real Jets fans.

After the injury, I turned off the game, watched a show with the fam, went for a walk with my wife and slept like a baby for about 8hrs.

I followed the game when it was 13-13 and we had the ball. Saw we converted the 4th and was like ok. But I never turned the game back on.

Just devastating.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Whose defending?  My view at current is the entire regime will be let go at seasons end.  That's hardly "defending".

I hope not.  Douglas has built a very good roster.  It's extremely competitive.  The D looks legit and  very well coached.  Hopefully Saleh puts this behind quickly and starts acting like a HC.  It's year 3, it's time.   If not he should get canned.  

Douglas I would keep. 

• Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I've never bought Saleh's BS.  Why is he devestated?  Great players go down all the time.  You rally the troops.  You draw up plays.  You coach the team.  This guy has been selling positive vibes and now that he has some adversity he's devestated.  Show some spine and rally the troops and figure out how to beat the Cowboys.   

This teams players fought like hell and won.  Those are your guys.  Coach them.

Yeah this guy is a clown 

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

That's up to the GM.  Douglas decided to draft Zach and hire a CEO HC from the defensive side of the ball. 

I lump them all together, JD hired Saleh, Saleh hired MLF, MLF wanted ZW, JD picked him. They are all tied at the hip and cannot be disaggregated.

I don't hate JD but when you want to draft a QB with the number 2 overall pick, you damn well better make sure you have a staff in who can help identify what they want and develop him. JD did not do this, in fact, they did the opposite, they hired a DC who hired a completely inexexperienced OC with zero experience developing or selecting a QB.

There is a reason we are the jets, we do stupid sh*t and never learn from it

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And I don't understand why this gives anyone hope about the team's immediate future.  We're so tantalizingly close to being a relevant franchise again but one position is going to derail us, AGAIN.  And we're no closer to finding a short-term OR long-term solution there than we were when the current regime arrived.

It's infuriating.  Lucy keeps pulling the ball away from Charlie Brown again and again and again.

I thought last years team without the AVT injury and Hall injury makes the playoffs.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

I thought last years team without the AVT injury and Hall injury makes the playoffs.  

Sure.  But that's why it all still sucks.  Because if you need near perfect circumstances surrounding your QB to get to the playoffs, you aren't ever going to contend.  A WC-round exit doesn't excite me.  Not when the other 52 spots on this roster are as loaded as they are.

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Similar.

And let's be real, the truly uncomfortable feeling has been the past few months with the entire nation salivating over our team, our QB, and favoring the Jets for the Super Bowl.  We weren't used to that.  But, a good team that has some familiar flaws (ex. QB)?  We know that routine.  It's been in our DNA since Sanchez.  I'm already done mourning for Rodgers.  Next man up.  Let's see what Hackett can do with an uber-talented but schizophrenic QB like Zach Wilson.

I'm not quite there emotionally yet, because from what I saw last night, the real tragedy here is that this team would absolutely be a contender with last year's version of Aaron Rodgers. This team has a special running back, a special WR, and a great defense. This team could have won 11 games with a QB putting up production identical to 2022 AR, assuming a little injury luck. But we never get that, do we? 

What I will say is that there are just too many players on this roster I am excited to watch. 

The Jets need to win one out of the next two. You can lose in Dallas, but beat the Pats at home. Then, you go into a Sunday night showdown with Mahomes and you hope their offense has taken a step back this year and then you pound them with our explosive running game and hope for a win similar to last night. At that point you are 3-1 and I think good enough to win enough games to at least be on the fringe of playoff contention in December. That's the "pie in the sky" scenario. 

But I think these next few weeks are critical and I need to seem them survive them before I really have any hope. 

1 minute ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Why Saleh?? Because he's playing ZW? 

Because he's a fairly useless cheerleader and he coached the team like a coward last night after talking a big game about being a commander eagle all of Hard Knocks?

I'm not saying he HAS to go but if Woody decides someone has to pay then it needs to be Saleh before Douglas.  Douglas has proven to be the far more useful asset to the franchise, warts and all.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Spot on.  Parcell's wouldn't be sad that Rodgers was hurt.  Rodgers would be dead to him.  He would figure out how to win with the guys he had.

I agree with the sentiment that the team fought hard, and now it’s time to prepare to roll with the players we have (while the GM makes some calls, mind you). I don’t think the season is lost, and the coaches shouldn’t be acting like it is. So, we’re on the same page there. As for Parcells, i think you’re off base there. Parcells would get very emotional when there was a key injury to one of his guys. Rather than being dead to him, he would rally the team around them. I think that’s what this team did last night. Now they need to keep doing it and not fall into the “woe is me” BS. But I can give them a day or two to get their minds around it. The jury is still out on how Saleh, his staff, and the team are going to respond to this.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Did you watch the full thing?  He spent a bunch of time saying that he was devastated for Aaron.  That they will be fine, but are upset because Rodgers put so much into being a Jet.  He's probably full of sh*t, but I think Garrett Wilson and some of the others said similar.  

He looked like his mother died.  Rodgers went down and the team rallied and won.  Those are the guys that are playing next week.  Rodgers didn't die.  He's going to be fine.  He's earned almost 400 million as a QB not including off the field earnings.  Rodgers is going to have a great life.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because he's a fairly useless cheerleader and he coached the team like a coward last night after talking a big game about being a commander eagle all of Hard Knocks?

I'm not saying he HAS to go but if Woody decides someone has to pay then it needs to be Saleh before Douglas.

He coached the game like everything they’d prepared for the last few months for this game suddenly had to be scrapped. And he coached it to win. Which he did. I didn’t love how scared they seemed to be of letting ZW throw almost at all. I didn’t love all the runs up the gut at the end when a first down would have iced the game. But, in retrospect, the way Saleh coached last night resulted in the Jets winning the game last night. Going forward is a different story — but you can’t kill him for how he coached the game last night because they won in VERY difficult circumstances when a lot of teams would have folded up and gotten trounced.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He looked like his mother died.  Rodgers went down and the team rallied and won.  Those are the guys that are playing next week.  Rodgers didn't die.  He's going to be fine.  He's earned almost 400 million as a QB not including off the field earnings.  Rodgers is going to have a great life.  

He's a 40 year old single guy, estranged from his family and physically unable to do the one thing he has excelled at all his life.  

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Douglas I would keep. 

Douglas failed drafting Zach.

Douglas has now failed trading a ton for Rodgers.

He's likely to finish 2023 deeply in the red for W-L during his tenure.

He's likely to have five seasons of no playoff appearances (0-5).

He's in year 5 of 6 this year.  No NFL GM enters as season as a lame duck.

So Woody will either extend him, or fire him, at the end of THIS season.

Say all you want about the roster being better, and it IS, I agree, but eventually the on-field results have to actually reflect that, and JD has utterly failed to address the most vital position on the field, QB.

Rodgers was his savior.  Now that that has failed in such a grotesque and amazing way, his only route to saving his ass is to win a ton this year.

Which is not good, because it incentives him selling even MORE assets for the future to try and salvage the W/L this year.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

He coached the game like everything they’d prepared for the last few months for this game suddenly had to be scrapped. And he coached it to win. Which he did. I didn’t love how scared they seemed to be of letting ZW throw almost at all. I didn’t love all the runs up the gut at the end when a first down would have iced the game. But, in retrospect, the way Saleh coached last night resulted in the Jets winning the game last night. Going forward is a different story — but you can’t kill him for how he coached the game last night because they won in VERY difficult circumstances when a lot of teams would have folded up and gotten trounced.

+1

I am not a huge Saleh fan, but that team did not fold up.  They seem to continue to play hard no matter what, and they don't point fingers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm not saying he HAS to go but if Woody decides someone has to pay then it needs to be Saleh before Douglas.  Douglas has proven to be the far more useful asset to the franchise, warts and all.

If Woodys the reason Zach is on the roster as the backup (likely) then it’s kind of moot. Saleh’s been a good soldier pumping up Wilson when we all saw it was BS this preseason. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He coached the team like a coward? We beat the raining afc east champs with our backup qb. That is not easy to do. 

3 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Meh. Disagree. I get wanting to be aggressive but at that point in the game, why gamble with ZW coming in? Lean on your run game and defense. Get out of there with a W. They could've folded after AR went down, they didn't. 

I don't get why so many don't like him. He's consistently held this team together after so much adversity. Can change in a few weeks, we'll see, but as of now I'm a big fan of his.

Yep. Spot on.

19 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I thought Saleh was great in the post game presser 

last night is the most impressive moment of Saleh’s head coaching career 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

There's no way they want to roll with zach Wilson. It's malpractice if that's the plan

You could hear it in Saleh's voice when the sideline reporter questioned him on moving forward without Aaron. He was defeated. Choked up a bit then said something to the effect that "we still have a really good defense and 'some' goof offensive players". Zach not mentioned. You could tell he was dying inside.

• Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

jury's still out on Saleh but idk how you can be mad at the way they held it together last night. I was in the stadium and it felt like a funeral for a huge chunk of the first half. He did a good job of not letting them fold. They had no passing game and a limited Breece Hall on offense and still gutted it out. 

• Upvote 3