AVT - Achilles - Out for Season

JETS SB

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Don’t forget about the 2nd round rookie Center who is being asked to play guard.

Kind of a silly point, since:

1) one of the big reasons they drafted him was that he could play multiple positions 

2) he seems to be playing guard really well 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

I am a ND fan and I watch every game.  He had his worst game as a college player against louisville, but by no means was he "worked".  He is absolutely every bit as good as i am suggesting.  even guys like ogden had an off game in college along with all of their stellar games.

if he is on the board and the jets dont take him, it will be a huge mistake

Like I said, he's a good prospect, and I'm sure he'll be a very good OT in this league, but we seem to have this expectation around here that a rookie 1st round OT will come in and fix everything.  Alt will have his struggles.  I'll put it this way:  I wouldn't expect Alt to be a better LT than Becton in 2024.  

...and if he's as good as you project(which that comp is ridiculous, let's be honest), we'll have no chance to draft him.  That's a top-3 pick right there.  We might not even have a shot at Olu Fashanu either if we win a few more games.  More than likely, if things go badly the rest of the way, we'll pick around #10.  We don't have a 2nd so chances are we can't move up, unless you're parting with our 1st in 2025.  Alt ain't happening, and honestly I really don't care.  At this point I'd rather target a QB or trade down, get another 2nd, and take the best available QB or WR.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Achilles snap. Has nothing to do with how you feel.  There isn’t a strain that lets you know.  There isn’t an age it happens to.  Your calf and ankle are different.
If you look around the league this injury isn’t unheard of. 

I’m not a doctor but from the limited experience I have with achilles injuries, and the little research I have done, and people I have talked to, it doesn’t appear that what you say is true.  I have achilles tendonitis, and I definitely feel it throughout my body.  Before I originally hurt it, I was having a lot of other leg issues.  I definitely feel it contributed.  

16 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think jet fans are overblowing this injury.  The line was actually better once avt went out on Sunday.

AVT is nothing more than ok at RT.  Mad max showed on Sunday the dropoff isnt that big.

Get AVT back to LG next year where he is dominant.

He isn’t going to be dominant again for a few years, if ever.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Like I said, he's a good prospect, and I'm sure he'll be a very good OT in this league, but we seem to have this expectation around here that a rookie 1st round OT will come in and fix everything.  Alt will have his struggles.  I'll put it this way:  I wouldn't expect Alt to be a better LT than Becton in 2024.  

...and if he's as good as you project(which that comp is ridiculous, let's be honest), we'll have no chance to draft him.  That's a top-3 pick right there.  We might not even have a shot at Olu Fashanu either if we win a few more games.  More than likely, if things go badly the rest of the way, we'll pick around #10.  We don't have a 2nd so chances are we can't move up, unless you're parting with our 1st in 2025.  Alt ain't happening, and honestly I really don't care.  At this point I'd rather target a QB or trade down, get another 2nd, and take the best available QB or WR.

We'll see.  I got similar arguments when I was in here stumping for the Jets to draft Sauce.  I also called him the best player in the draft and a must have. No one player is a team, but an elite OT is nothing to sneeze at. 

To me and AVT, its like this:

• AVT is a great G.  He is short, and has short arms, for a T.  He has had serious injuries the last two years playing G. 
  • We can argue until we are blue in the face whether playing T causes injury. But if I am AVT, I ain’t playing T anymore.  I will get hurt playing G.  Then we can discuss if he is susceptible to injury.  For now, no more T.  
  • For Saleh to have the discussion about a permanent switch to T is just moronic. 
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Joe Douglas makes sh*tty draft picks 

A guard with 32 inch arms that gets hurt every year 

They took him top 15 he should be Quenton Nelson 

2 honest questions:

1.  Is there a CB in the NFL that you would trade straight up for Sauce?

2. Is there a RB in the NFL that you would trade straight up for Breece?

31 minutes ago, BCJet said:

2 honest questions:

These are not honest questions 

Lets be real Joe Douglas has had over 30 draft picks in 4 years and 3 good players including Garrett out of 30 isn't good enough 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, BCJet said:

2 honest questions:

Off the top of my head I’ll say Devon Witherspoon and Bijan Robinson? Those are two rookies I’d think would be fair trades

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

These are not honest questions 

Lets be real Joe Douglas has had over 30 draft picks in 4 years and 3 good players including Garrett out of 30 isn't good enough 

What is the standard you hold a GM to?  Is there a certain percentage that makes someone good?

We had the offensive and defensive rookies of the year in the same season we lost the better of the 2 offensive rookies in Breece

We have depth with MC II at CB, we have depth at OT with Mitchell.

We have a starting safety in Tony Adams who was undrafted.

Has JD missed - 100%.  Zach may be a problem and never make it.  We have overpaid some bad free agents like Ryan Kahil, but he also found DJ Reed who was a steal.  So what exactly do you want from a GM?

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Off the top of my head I’ll say Devon Witherspoon and Bijan Robinson? Those are two rookies I’d think would be fair trades

Fair for both - Bijan and Witherspoon are both legit.

So - my point is we have 2 great players that were just drafted and are in the top 2 in value at their position, so maybe everyone should have some understanding that an NFL GM doesnt hit on every pick

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

2 honest questions:

Surtain?

McCaffery?

Probably not, but Sauce has a few things to improve on. Breece is awesome, but is he that much better?

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

What is the standard you hold a GM to?  Is there a certain percentage that makes someone good?

We had the offensive and defensive rookies of the year in the same season we lost the better of the 2 offensive rookies in Breece

We have depth with MC II at CB, we have depth at OT with Mitchell.

We have a starting safety in Tony Adams who was undrafted.

Has JD missed - 100%.  Zach may be a problem and never make it.  We have overpaid some bad free agents like Ryan Kahil, but he also found DJ Reed who was a steal.  So what exactly do you want from a GM?

I want wins 

I'm glad they won this weekend but they get it done with strip sacks and safeties. It's hard to see that being sustainable. The offense can't seem to get over 19 ppg. 

By the way I like Ruckert, Clemons JJ and will iv. Tippmann was a smart pick Saleh defense is excellent. JD isn't the worst gm we ever had. 

But imagine if they kept darnold and drafted chase. Or penei Sewell. Or took Jalen hurts instead of Denzel mims 

It's easy to draft in hindsight but the league is not kind to teams with below average qb and offensive line rooms. 

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

I want wins 

I'm glad they won this weekend but they get it done with strip sacks and safeties. It's hard to see that being sustainable. The offense can't seem to get over 19 ppg. 

By the way I like Ruckert, Clemons JJ and will iv. Tippmann was a smart pick Saleh defense is excellent. JD isn't the worst gm we ever had. 

But imagine if they kept darnold and drafted chase. Or penei Sewell. Or took Jalen hurts instead of Denzel mims 

It's easy to draft in hindsight but the league is not kind to teams with below average qb and offensive line rooms. 

All fair criticisms and I appreciate you pointing out some of the guys JD has picked that are developing young players.

As much as I support JD and in no way want him fired, I agree with you that he has to be held accountable for not only Zach but for some of the veteran stopgap moves like Ryan Kahil and even to an extent Duane Brown who were real expensive and not good on the field.

I also think its fair to judge his use of void years and how that may impact the next 2 years but overall I think he deserves to keep his job here without question

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He's a Guard, with a Guards body.

He hasn't gotten hurt as a Guard - but twice now, season enders, from playing T for a few weeks. 

He should not play another down at a Tackle.

Inaccurate. He played tackle in college plenty. He was projected as a guard in the NFL who could also be considered at tackle. 

And regardless he’s an elite athlete in the best shape of his life. Shifting one spot down the line shouldn’t make an iota of difference. It’s just something specific to his body and perhaps the way he’s training. Some folks’ bodies are just injury prone. 

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

I also think its fair to judge his use of void years and how that may impact the next 2 years but overall I think he deserves to keep his job here without question

Ya mean that 7 year non voidable deal Rodgers got? 

Lets be honest throwing money and picks at Rodgers and drafting Zach these are not smart moves. Everything jd has done at qb has backfired

Anyone could do that. Like literally they could let a fan from sec 310 row 10 seat 22 be the GM and make that quality of moves 

JD is on his 5th year out of 6. If he deserves to keep his job they have to extend him and give him a raise. Saleh too 

At 23 and 49 or whatever it is, does jd really deserve a raise? 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Inaccurate. He played tackle in college plenty. He was projected as a guard in the NFL who could also be considered at tackle. 

And regardless he’s an elite athlete in the best shape of his life. Shifting one spot down the line shouldn’t make an iota of difference. It’s just something specific to his body and perhaps the way he’s training. Some folks’ bodies are just injury prone. 

He played Tackle in college and wasn't projected as a Guard in the NFL for kicks.

He was projected that way because he was too short to play T.  His size very well could have forced him to over comopensate and caused season ending injuries two years in a row.

He's has a Guard body and should be playing Guard.

Lastly, are you suggesting the only thing different between playing G and T in the NFL is where you stand on the line? as in "Shifting one spot down the line shouldn’t make an iota of difference".  

I guess if that's your understanding of the NFL or football in general than I can see why you view my point as "innacruate"

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Absolutely not but since he's the best GM Woody will ever have he'll get one.

I'm going to make a controversial statement here:

Tanny was a better gm than JD 

The wins are better the draft picks are better. Woody has seen success before. 2-3 soon to be 2-4 going into the bye these are mediocre results and even woody knows this 

Does he have any better ideas probably not 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'm going to make a controversial statement here:

Tanny was a better gm than JD 

The wins are better the draft picks are better. Woody has seen success before. 2-3 soon to be 2-4 going into the bye these are mediocre results and even woody knows this 

Does he have any better ideas probably not 

Tannenbaum constantly traded up and signed bad contracts to create a top-heavy roster.  He also leaned far too heavily on his HC opinions because the scouts he hired weren't great.  That isn't a sustainable approach.

Douglas sucks in a different way but his process, at least, has made a lot more sense to me for the most part.  Nail your picks, try not to depend on free agency too much.  That's a much better strategy for building a perennial contender.  It hasn't worked, of course, but the roster has also been good enough to win some games they shouldn't surrounding some of the worst QB play I've ever seen.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Tannenbaum constantly traded up and signed bad contracts to create a top-heavy roster.  He also leaned far too heavily on his HC opinions because the scouts he hired weren't great.  That isn't a sustainable approach.

Douglas sucks in a different way but his process, at least, has made a lot more sense to me for the most part.  Nail your picks, try not to depend on free agency too much.  That's a much better strategy for building a perennial contender.  It hasn't worked, of course, but the roster has also been good enough to win some games they shouldn't surrounding some of the worst QB play I've ever seen.  

To be clear I'm not saying tanny was perfect 

But he's better than Joe 

What's a more impressive draft pick sauce at 4 or Revis at 15? 

They won 4 road playoff games 

JD can't even break 500 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@bitonti

Douglas will only top that if he hands Wilson a 5th year option/extension.

Oh it's happening 

Sanchez at least had a good run 

Again what is a better pick up Sanchez at 5 or Zach at 2

What's a better signing 8 games of farve or 4 plays of Aaron? 

Im not saying Tanny and Sanchez are amazing. That's like the mendoza line in baseball and JD is constantly below it

Just now, bitonti said:

JD can't even break 500 

He could have done that at any time by going on FA spending sprees, knowing full well that roughly 40 % of Jets fans love and celebrate their 8-9 win seasons.  

He chose not to because that's not how you build a perennial contender.  Bottoming out can, and has, worked for NFL franchises before when a total reset is needed.  Just look at the Rams.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Oh it's happening 

Sanchez at least had a good run 

Again what is a better pick up Sanchez at 5 or Zach at 2

Im not saying Tanny and Sanchez are amazing. That's like the mendoza line in baseball and JD is constantly below it

Sanchez was the better pick but his extension was worse than ANYTHING Joe Douglas has done to date.

If the 5th year pickup/extension never comes you are wrong on this one.