Mike White

1 minute ago, BurntDice said:

I haven’t seen you talk about a single other thing besides Zach for weeks. You are correct, this is a JETS message board, not a Zach Wilson message board 

So go to other topics if the QB/Zach ones harm your fragile psyche.  I've been mindful lately to try to restrict my Zach takes to Zach/QB threads.

For me, the Zach Wilson story has now taken on an even more interesting storyline to watch.

Clearly, Wilson has far more physical talent than White despite the early on field poor performance.  Watching Wilson, I can say he has a stronger arm than Mahomes and he can also throw at all the odd angles ad well.  Wilson is also quicker.  That right.  He moves on his feet faster than Mahomes.  That was all eclipsed by very bad decision making, casual errors and lapsed fundamentals.

I was on record many times insisting that he could not and would not ever work those problems out.

The last three games really have me questioning that assessment.  I'm not convinced that his improvement arc will continue, but it is exciting and fascinating to anticipate and watch unfold.

If he can lock down the basics, he'll still have his super powers that he can employ as needed. 

That is a really huge bit of Jets football for us to watch happen.

It by far outstrips the Mike White saga.  White was never going to be a freakish talent.  Wilson can actually be exactly just that... IF. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So go to other topics if the QB/Zach ones harm your fragile psyche.  I've been mindful lately to try to restrict my Zach takes to Zach/QB threads.

I don’t have a fragile psyche wtf. It’s just tiring seeing the same thing repeated over and over and over again. You’re a broken record dude. We get it it. We got it weeks ago. We got it last year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I always liked Ryan. He was a really good #2 QB. Always gave the team a shot of adrenaline when he played. I always maintained we would have beaten the Browns in the playoffs in the 1986 season had Ryan not gotten hurt. BTW, the offensive line always looked better when he was playing rather than Kenny.

I liked Pat too.  He was more mobil than KO but he wasn’t the passer KO was, especially with regards to the long ball.  

There way too many mistakes in that game vs Cleveland, missed Ks, PI calls, Walton not knowing the rules and of course Gastineaus late hit on Bernie 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

Mike White 2-5 record, 8 tds vs 12 interceptions,

comp % in his last three critical games for the jets when they fighting for the playoffs:  54, 61, 50  (to go along with 0 tds and 4 ints)

5 out of 8 games he played he threw 2 ints or more.

The My Quite lovers are delusional.

He was playing hurt in the last two games, but of course, you are right that he is overhyped.

I think the MyQuite stuff is more of a reflection of how bad Zach was in his first two years and an overreaction to that. 

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We're still waiting on a "signature game" from Zach after 28 games and JN is going to scoff at only "2 very good games"?

There have been six 30+ point games for the Jets since 2021.  4 of them QB'd by QB's not named Zach Wilson (despite only 12 out of 40 of those games being piloted by non-Zach QB's).  The most recent one for Zach (@ Denver this season) required 9 points being scored by the defense/special teams.

Beggars can't be choosers.

What does any of this have to do with it?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is a Jets message board.  Seems to me QB is a pretty important position.  Being constantly gaslit to believe a terrible Jets QB is secretly good, or even not bad, for 3 years gets pretty annoying.  Especially since we've been through this sh*t before with Sanchez and Darnold.

QB is pretty important.

Your constant repeating how much you hate ZW isn’t

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

For me, the Zach Wilson story has now taken on an even more interesting storyline to watch.

Clearly, Wilson has far more physical talent than White despite the early on field poor performance.  Watching Wilson, I can say he has a stronger arm than Mahomes and he can also throw at all the odd angles ad well.  Wilson is also quicker.  That right.  He moves on his feet faster than Mahomes.  That was all eclipsed by very bad decision making, casual errors and lapsed fundamentals.

I was on record many times insisting that he could not and would not ever work those problems out.

The last three games really have me questioning that assessment.  I'm not convinced that his improvement arc will continue, but it is exciting and fascinating to anticipate and watch unfold.

If he can lock down the basics, he'll still have his super powers that he can employ as needed. 

It by far outstrips the Mike White saga.  White was never going to be a freakish talent.  Wilson can actually be exactly just that... IF. 

We are getting closer to the day when people say “Mahomes is a poor man’s Zach Wilson”.

@The Crusher @Jetsfan80

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I agree with a large portion of what you wrote here, though I still think MFW was a terrific storyline.  

2 minutes ago, frankiepapa said:

Curious to see what he does if he is thrust into action let's say Tua gets hurt... is he #2 or #3?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Who is their other QB in that mix?  With our luck, MFW will be playing against us.  I'm actually confident it will happen.

• Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Mike White 2-5 record, 8 tds vs 12 interceptions,

comp % in his last three critical games for the jets when they were fighting for the playoffs:  54, 61, 50  (to go along with 0 tds and 4 ints)

5 out of 8 games he played he threw 2 ints or more.

The My Quite lovers are delusional.

The guy was gutty as heck and a leader.  He brought a lot of excitement to those games.  And his record would've been better if Braxton Berrios could catch a football.  Plus he played with broken ribs one game.  And you can't give him the Indy loss because he played well before getting hurt.  

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree with a large portion of what you wrote here, though I still think MFW was a terrific storyline.  

I guess, yeah.  Mostly because us poor, deprived Jets fans will grab on to anything that looks like good news.

If White was aware/capable of getting off the mark, he'd have done a lot better.  He does not have the head or the eyes/ears to protect himself.  Just a step or two in the right direction is all it takes.  See Tom Brady. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He was playing hurt in the last two games, but of course, you are right that he is overhyped.

I think the MyQuite stuff is more of a reflection of how bad Zach was in his first two years and an overreaction to that. 

It's possible but you don't think MFW was a real leader (and as an underdog)?  Those are such great stories.  His teammates loved him.  And he fought back from broken ribs.  It was almost like the NY version of "Rocky".

• Upvote 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's possible but you don't think MFW was a real leader (and as an underdog)?  Those are such great stories.  His teammates loved him.  And he fought back from broken ribs.  It was almost like the NY version of "Rocky".

I don't care about great stories. I care about winning. 

I respect Mike White and what he did here, but he couldn't stay on the field or stay healthy enough for us to win with him. It is what it is. 

And like I said - he's a Dolphin now. So F him :) 

Am I misremembering that White had like one good game each year surrounded by bad games and injuries?

I just can't find excitement about a backup QB who has one good game in him. 

I get that some players really liked him and for that one brief game each year it seemed like the Jets found a diamond in the rough. I don't get the revisionism that he didn't stink up the other games. His comment after his first win that he should have been a number one pick (instead of a fifth round flyer) before playing an absolute trash game was as comically bad as Jamal Adams running his mouth.

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I don't care about great stories. I care about winning. 

I respect Mike White and what he did here, but he couldn't stay on the field or stay healthy enough for us to win with him. It is what it is. 

And like I said - he's a Dolphin now. So F him :) 

Well sports is entertainment and MFW provided some great entertainment.  But I agree that about winning.

hermjpg-6a2c6c55922f228d.thumb.jpg.edb3ab61fd814bbb2394821b2f666ea0.jpg

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Even though this has been a fun and unexpected season so far (and I'm actually still hopeful about ZW), I still miss the excitement those Mike White games had.  For me, he will go down as one of the more memorable players in Jets' history.  Such a gutty player and the Bengals, Bears, Vikings and Bills games were all so much fun.  I don't need to hear "he threw a bunch of INTs and he was made of glass" type comments.  The bottom line is his games were fun as heck to watch and he was a true leader, who was easy to root for (and his teammates absolutely loved him).  I hate that he's on Miami (though he probably loves being there). 

Some highlights and one lowlight (though the lowlight showed how gutty of a player he was).

MikeWhite3.gif.ea9c4eb0ca4d9ca9bd33b2843373388a.gif

MikeWhiteCatchesTDVsBengals.gif.8b0789d7180980ce2b36b39ce9d5e87c.gif

Mike_White_Highlights__Week_12__Every_Pass_vs_Bears(8).gif.bdfcebc663ebfcad4aa108d1408bb73a.gif

image.gif.6dfd7d54150a92ec6967cdc63fed2cd1.gif

image.gif.171251e0d2f29dc1e38dfc61f70137f3.gif

MikeWhite4Slimetime.gif.f0c0988505938cb7f3845f9b4e73ed96.gif

MikeWhite-DubW.JPG.3f9ad89fdf784bb2b8dcae5e8902c688.JPG

MikeWhiteLockerRoom.jpeg.b1ba22a3dabf4e08077ee8fb7615ffff.jpeg

MFWTShirts.jpeg.a3519672a1e4f14295bf4eb6de18d7db.jpeg

MikeWhiteHOF.thumb.JPG.19b8c3c11047fb70d1fe8eb4c5114937.JPG

I think his teammates just liked that they had another excuse to say Fkkn whenever mentioning his name. 

3 hours ago, Same Old Jets said:

Other teams had their flash on the pan, one hit wonder type of players as well. 

Yes, Lin offered the Knicks a little spark, signed elsewhere for more money, but never succeeded. 

Stop living the old glory days that were just simple morale victories.  

All I do is Lin, ah the good olde days..

57 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The guy was gutty as heck and a leader.  He brought a lot of excitement to those games.  And his record would've been better if Braxton Berrios could catch a football.  Plus he played with broken ribs one game.  And you can't give him the Indy loss because he played well before getting hurt.  

paint every Qb with the same brush and I am fine with this take.  Ignore his terrible stats and give him a bucket of excuses, as long as you apply that to every QB that is fine.

It was definitely Mike White's time to go when he did.  He had no future here and will be no more than a backup for his career, and that's not even meant as a criticism, just a reality.  With that said, the Bengals game was still easily one of the most enjoyable/entertaining Jets games of the past decade+, so you certainly can't take that away from him.

• Upvote 1