Breakout game for JSN

AFJF

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Once Broderick Jones came off the board it was going to be cope city regardless for me. I wonder—ifthey didn’t have Rodgers—if JSN would have been the pick, but with Rodgers they knew it came with Lazard and Cobb so they went elsewhere. I remember Dane Brugler being very uninspired by the McDonald pick

The Jones pick would've been meh for a win now team too and it seems like they weren’t interested. Pre Rodgers injury they really should’ve just traded the pick to hang on to 2024 capital, the conditions on that pick were not great. Either way if they were planning to get weird with the pick (rumors Mayer was up there if not McDonald) they should’ve just moved down to recoup capital.

Hope they go offense early this year. Tackle, receiver. After the rumors they were interested in Gibbs I wouldn’t mind if they look for another explosive back outside the first to pair with Hall. Always have a home run hitter on the field. I was really interested in Achane last year. Think you get an outsized impact for the cost at that position. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Once Broderick Jones came off the board it was going to be cope city regardless for me. I wonder—ifthey didn’t have Rodgers—if JSN would have been the pick, but with Rodgers they knew it came with Lazard and Cobb so they went elsewhere. I remember Dane Brugler being very uninspired by the McDonald pick

Same here.  And I think we were all worried once we fell behind the Pats in the draft that it would F us over somehow (which, of course, it did).  I still find it very difficult to believe that JD couldn't have figured a way around that 1st round pick swap.  And we saw in that draft show that he knew exactly what was about to happen when the Pats traded the pick.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Should've been the Jets pick.

A lot of people wrote him off after six games despite him consistently getting open.  Today he's getting targets and he's got 4 for 62 and a TD half way through the second quarter.  Should easily top 100 yards and wouldn't be surprised if he finds the end zone again.

4/7 for 63 yards and a TD. What a game. True breakout. Imagine, if he did that every week he'd finish with almost 70 receptions and 17 TDs.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

Exactly what every "win now" team needs.  Long-term projects in the first round.

As opposed to a WR who is the type every team has, who isn’t elite at any part of the game who we should have taken because he has one decent game on his resume.  
Breakout, lol

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I just saw the highlights from this breakout game, there were 4, and let me tell you that route he gets his first TD.  Stellar.  I'm not sure how you recognize this type of talent but on this particular play, the coaching staff asked him to run fast, in a straight line, while QB Geno Smith faked like he was going to hand off the ball to the RB and then, when he looked up he noticed, nobody was covering this JSN who ran straight and fast, so he threw him the ball and when it arrived, there was nobody around for miles and this unbelievably talented player did something I've never seen before, he turned around and caught the Football out of the air and scored a TD.  It was truly, amazing.

3 names and 4 receptions.  Simply incredible!

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Articulate this for me in "GM speak": What was it about JSN's Junior season that made him, in your estimation as a GM, a top half of the first round draft pick in April of 2023.

I'm not a GM.  If you want a GM-speak scouting report, there were several available online at the time, I am sure you can find one.

He was the best WR in the class, he was a WR who played a position we (IMO) needed (slot/#2 WR) after E. Moore was traded away, WR was IMO a serious need for our offense, he was repped by G. Wilson and had chemistry/a relationship with him already, and he was simply a better WR prospect than anyone else on our roster not named Wilson.  And I did not and do not believe reaching for an edge because he was "bendy", the word used repeatedly by fans here on draft day, was warranted given the discrepancy between the Jets Offense (one of the consistently worst-in-league for years now) and our Defense (top 5 in 2022 and full of first rounders).

If you're looking for a deeper analysis, I have none to give.  I wanted JSN for the same reasons I led the charge on this forum wanting G. Wilson and Hall at RB the year before, and the criticism I got (and still get) for that desire was quite similar to the criticism (now forgotten as everyone got on the bandwagon) wanting Wilson and Hall (especially Hall, who almost no one here wanted because "RB is devalued").  I believe in winning via offense, and am tired of bottom-of-league Jets Offenses.

The fact McDonald cannot get on the field to contribute says alot IMO about him being a need or a want for this team.  He may be something in future years, and I hope he is, but I was all-in on weapons for Rodgers this year, JSN would have been that far better than Davis (gone), Lazard (a better blocker than ball catcher) or Hardman (gone) or Cobb (ancient), in my view.

I'd be pretty excited about WR right now if our unit was Wilson/JSN/Lazard/Gipson/Brownlee personally.  Maybe others wouldn't, to each their own.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm not a GM.  If you want a GM-speak scouting report, there were several available online at the time, I am sure you can find one.

He was the best WR in the class, he was a WR who played a position we (IMO) needed (slot/#2 WR) after E. Moore was traded away, WR was IMO a serious need for our offense, he was repped by G. Wilson and had chemistry/a relationship with him already, and he was simply a better WR prospect than anyone else on our roster not named Wilson.  And I did not and do not believe reaching for an edge because he was "bendy", the word used repeatedly by fans here on draft day, was warranted given the discrepancy between the Jets Offense (one of the consistently worst-in-league for years now) and our Defense (top 5 in 2022 and full of first rounders).

If you're looking for a deeper analysis, I have none to give.  I wanted JSN for the same reasons I led the charge on this forum wanting G. Wilson and Hall at RB the year before, and the criticism I got (and still get) for that desire was quite similar to the criticism (now forgotten as everyone got on the bandwagon) wanting Wilson and Hall (especially Hall, who almost no one here wanted because "RB is devalued").  I believe in winning via offense.

The fact McDonald cannot get on the field to contribute says alot IMO about him being a need or a want for this team.  He may be something in future years, and I hope he is, but I was all-in on weapons for Rodgers this year, JSN would have been that far better than Davis (gone), Lazard (a better blocker than ball catcher) or Hardman (gone), in my view.

I'd be pretty excited about WR right now if our unit was Wilson/JSN/Lazard/Gipson/Brownlee personally.  Maybe others wouldn't, to each their own.

He was far from the consensus best WR in the class.  Gun to my head I'd probably have taken Flowers, but he is a shrimp for that early.  I'm have much preferred Kincaid or Jayden Reed later. I don't even think JSN is top 20 in rookie receiving.  The idea he was the "right pick"  seems to be taking a point and stretching it pretty thin.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Where were you when JSN had 4 receptions for 63 yards and a TD? 

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

A 30 for 30 is in the works!

3 hours ago, JiF said:

I just saw the highlights from this breakout game, there were 4, and let me tell you that route he gets his first TD.  Stellar.  I'm not sure how you recognize this type of talent but on this particular play, the coaching staff asked him to run fast, in a straight line, while QB Geno Smith faked like he was going to hand off the ball to the RB and then, when he looked up he noticed, nobody was covering this JSN who ran straight and fast, so he threw him the ball and when it arrived, there was nobody around for miles and this unbelievably talented player did something I've never seen before, he turned around and caught the Football out of the air and scored a TD.  It was truly, amazing.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

3 names and 4 receptions.  Simply incredible!

@AFJF maybe invite JSN on the podcast?

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If you're looking for a deeper analysis, I have none to give. 

And that is fair. And it is all that any of us have here.

JSN was certainly not a "priority take" for me at that spot because his Junior year, he really did not have any stats. And that was because he had a 4 month hamstring injury. I am no doctor, but a 4 month hamstring seems unusual. Rumor is, some doctors (or trainers) that were associated with OSU agreed with that sentiment. 

For me, as a fan, football players "play". When football players show a proclivity to not want to "play", that throws red flags for me as that fan that substitutes as an arm chair GM. JSN gave us one season of film to digest. Then decided that film was good for what he truly wanted. His friend on the team does not register to me as a reference. It is kind of having your boss ask you if your sister would be a good hire. A little tainted.

For me as that fan, pounding the table for JSN was as risky a move as there was at 15.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

And that is fair. And it is all that any of us have here.

JSN was certainly not a "priority take" for me at that spot because his Junior year, he really did not have any stats. And that was because he had a 4 month ankle sprain. I am no doctor, but a 4 month ankle sprain seems unusual. Rumor is, some doctors (or trainers) that were associated with OSU agreed with that sentiment. 

For me, as a fan, football players "play". When football players show a proclivity to not want to "play", that throws red flags for me as that fan that substitutes as an arm chair GM. JSN gave us one season of film to digest. Then decided that film was good for what he truly wanted. His friend on the team does not register to me as a reference. It is kind of having your boss ask you if your sister would be a good hire. A little tainted.

For me as that fan, pounding the table for JSN was as risky a move as there was at 15.

I mean I'm sure G Wilson would vouch for Olave and he's over there in New Orleans loafing ever other play, quitting on routes. So can't exactly count on your boys as actual recruiting. 

JSN woulda been cool I guess, especially since Corey Davis retired. But IMO, pass rushers are harder to come by, and I have no problem creating a pipeline of talent at that position. 

WR's are also starting to become pretty consistent in the draft every year, with a solid group each year. 2024 should be no different. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I mean I'm sure G Wilson would vouch for Olave and he's over there in New Orleans loafing ever other play, quitting on routes. So can't exactly count on your boys as actual recruiting. 

JSN woulda been cool I guess, especially since Corey Davis retired. But IMO, pass rushers are harder to come by, and I have no problem creating a pipeline of talent at that position. 

WR's are also starting to become pretty consistent in the draft every year, with a solid group each year. 2024 should be no different. 

No kidding on the Olave thing. I watched that game on Monday night and that kid seems to check out on half his routes. Damn WR's are the most flighty position in the game.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just throw on SportsCenter, Fox Sports (any region) or Bally Sports they're covering his receiving day at the top of every hour

I knew of him at the time of the draft but root for the Jets and don't always remember the initials of rookies who have done very little in the pros.  I mean no disrespect but, in general, I like thread titles that don't require me to do research. 

• Upvote 1