Tankathon (2023-24 Season Edition)

Just now, Saul Goodman said:

Without doing any math or matchup projections, I’m thinking 4th is probably the highest pick we could end up with.

This year might be closest I’ve ever come to rooting for losses. Partly to ensure we get a good player of course but I also want Douglas and Saleh to be humiliated. I want them to eat the sh*t sandwich that we’ve been served almost every week past few years. 

Does not see like 2-3 is attainable and truth it may be better that way b/c how much would it hurt if the jets picked 3rd and could take caleb Williams and the jets took a tackle, b/c that’s what the plan is.  A tackle.  So it’s easier to stomach that pick if it’s the 7th or 9th pick.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Without doing any math or matchup projections, I’m thinking 4th is probably the highest pick we could end up with.

This year might be closest I’ve ever come to rooting for losses. Partly to ensure we get a good player of course but I also want Douglas and Saleh to be humiliated. I want them to eat the sh*t sandwich that we’ve been served almost every week past few years. 

Even if they eat that sh*t sandwich and get fired, they will both land a position somehow. Saleh will get multiple offers for DC and possibly HC. JD will find a job somewhere. 

What about us though? We’re the ones getting ****ed. We’re the ones that have to inherit this sh*tty ******* franchise while they move on and coach top tier franchises. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I'm fascinated to see what will happen if we lose 10 in a row.  How is Woody going to sell the fanbase on bringing JD/Saleh back.  And I'm a JD supporter - lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm fascinated to see what will happen if we lose 10 in a row.  How is Woody going to sell the fanbase on bringing JD/Saleh back.  And I'm a JD supporter - lol.

Thats easy.  He says, “Rodgers came here to play for Douglas snd Saleh.  We made a commitment and an unfortunate injury is no going to change that.”

And Jet fans can say nothing and like it.

57 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Agreed. 4th pick is likely our ceiling.

Caleb, Maye, Harrison then us. Could you a trade down spot OR JD just picks best OL in the draft and hopefully doesn’t miss this time. 

43 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Jets aren’t tanking. So don’t be shocked when we get a late win that screws this all up.

Anyway, by pick 4, if that’s the highest we could get, both top QN’s and the top elite WR are likely to be gone. 

That’s the thing here so whether it’s 5 or 9, it’s still an OL.  Even if it’s 12.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Jets aren’t tanking. So don’t be shocked when we get a late win that screws this all up.

Anyway, by pick 4, if that’s the highest we could get, both top QN’s and the top elite WR are likely to be gone. 

Agreed.  This is a huge week for those of us rooting for L's though.  I think Atlanta, Washington and New England are our 3 most winnable games.  If we can go 0-3 then we'll have a real shot at a top 5 pick.  

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  This is a huge week for those of us rooting for L's though.  I think Atlanta, Washington and New England are our 3 most winnable games.  If we can go 0-3 then we'll have a real shot at a top 5 pick.  

But again, it’s not a qb.  And if they don’t trade back it’s just a left tackle. And look they need one, badly, for whoever the qbs are.  I think it would be worse if they wound up picking 3rd and passed on a qb.  

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

That’s the thing here so whether it’s 5 or 9, it’s still an OL.  Even if it’s 12.  

I will not pretend I know JD and Co's mind.  I've said it before, I would not in any way be shocked if they went D-Line at pick 7 or 8 or 10 if there was a guy they loved there.

We fans may feel WR, or QB, or OL are the huge, obvious needs.  Clearly JD does not always see it the way we do, hence his drafts to-date, and the results.

We also cannot separate the Rodgers effect too.  For this reason alone I think even if we picked 2 or 3, we wouldn't go QB.

Personally, today, the only three positions I look at are QB, OT or WR if we're sitting between picks 4 and 10 or so.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I will not pretend I know JD and Co's mind.  I've said it before, I would not in any way be shocked if they went D-Line at pick 7 or 8 or 10 if there was a guy they loved there.

We fans may feel WR, or QB, or OL are the huge, obvious needs.  Clearly JD does not always see it the way we do, hence his drafts to-date, and the results.

We also cannot separate the Rodgers effect too.  For this reason alone I think even if we picked 2 or 3, we wouldn't go QB.

Personally, today, the only three positions I look at are QB, OT or WR if we're sitting between picks 4 and 10 or so.  

At least douglas has not ignored offense with high draft picks.  He’s tried.  More miss than hit.  No need to rehash that here.

but, assuming the jets pick in the 4-10 range, and caleb and maye are gone, what’s really the play?  It’s not a qb that high.  That guy isn’t starting next season.  It’s probably a tackle.  Maybe if they’re picking 4-5 and they can trade back they’d consider it.  But that may also depend on how they rate the tackles.  It just seems that with becton’s status iffy, avt perpetually injured and guys like mitchell clearly not worthy of a roster spot, the jets seem destined for a tackle with that pick.  And it’s good use of the pick.  

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

At least douglas has not ignored offense with high draft picks.  He’s tried.  More miss than hit.  No need to rehash that here.

but, assuming the jets pick in the 4-10 range, and caleb and maye are gone, what’s really the play?  It’s not a qb that high.  That guy isn’t starting next season.  It’s probably a tackle.  Maybe if they’re picking 4-5 and they can trade back they’d consider it.  But that may also depend on how they rate the tackles.  It just seems that with becton’s status iffy, avt perpetually injured and guys like mitchell clearly not worthy of a roster spot, the jets seem destined for a tackle with that pick.  And it’s good use of the pick.  

I have to plead ignorance at current.  As most know, I don't watch or follow minor league (College) football, it holds no interest for me.  I don't start to familiarize myself with the draft class until after the NFL season ends.  So as of now, I have no real idea who I'd advocate for if we're sitting at 5, or 8 or 12 or whathaveyou.  That time starts for me in about 6 weeks.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I have to plead ignorance at current.  As most know, I don't watch or follow minor league (College) football, it holds no interest for me.  I don't start to familiarize myself with the draft class until after the NFL season ends.  So as of now, I have no real idea who I'd advocate for if we're sitting at 5, or 8 or 12 or whathaveyou.  That time starts for me in about 6 weeks.

From a positional standpoint, I’m having a hard time envisioning a scenario where the jets have the 8th pick, say, and don’t go OL.  I suppose they could spend in FA on OL if there’s guys to pay, and then take a wr.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

From a positional standpoint, I’m having a hard time envisioning a scenario where the jets have the 8th pick, say, and don’t go OL.  I suppose they could spend in FA on OL if there’s guys to pay, and then take a wr.

As it does every year, it would all depend on how the board falls.  Sometimes by pick 8, all the truly top-end OL are gone.  Just hard to say (for me at least) now, in late Nov.

I really think the Atlanta game is the main domino to fall for the tank efforts.

If we sneak out with a win + Rodgers keeps running the treadmill at 1JD, then that might give the team hope to finish strong and eek out a few more wins...and then we're drafting 13-14.

If we lose to this terrible Atlanta team, then I think its a clear sign that the defense is busy making offseason vacation plans and the offense is continuing to throw feces at each other and laughing.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I really think the Atlanta game is the main domino to fall for the tank efforts.

If we sneak out with a win + Rodgers keeps running the treadmill at 1JD, then that might give the team hope to finish strong and eek out a few more wins...and then we're drafting 13-14.

If we lose to this terrible Atlanta team, then I think its a clear sign that the defense is busy making offseason vacation plans and the offense is continuing to throw feces at each other and laughing.

The jets need a 2nd round pick somehow, there’s going to be qbs that fall there and they can win the short and long game by fixing the OL in round 1 and sneaking in a qb, so i guess the better that 1st rounder is the more leverage they may have.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

That is the dream scenario (other than drafting a quarterback, which isn’t a real possibility). 

Take a flier on one in the third....maybe a trade into the second?  McCarthy, Nix, Ewers? Worth a shot...should draft someone to sit behind Rodgers and a back up...

image.png.b9878059b758b18f98dc236c80e04595.png

The Patriots are in prime position to pick top 3 right now.  They have 2 wins and the next closest group of teams all have 4 wins (the Jets being one of them).  Meanwhile, they're tied with Arizona at 2 wins and only lead Carolina by 1 win.  Imo, we should all be rooting for the Pats from here on out.  

29 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

image.png.b9878059b758b18f98dc236c80e04595.png

The Patriots are in prime position to pick top 3 right now.  They have 2 wins and the next closest group of teams all have 4 wins (the Jets being one of them).  Meanwhile, they're tied with Arizona at 2 wins and only lead Carolina by 1 win.  Imo, we should all be rooting for the Pats from here on out.  

The last time I rooted for the Patriots was 2002 against Miami. 21 years later...

4d437dea-b032-48fd-beb9-cd08b3a91a2c_tex

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Jets have a good shot to get to 4. Giants will probably beat Green Bay or NOLA. Bears are going to beat the Cardinals at home on Christmas Eve. That Jets v Commanders game on Christmas Eve is going to be important for draft positioning. 

Things will get mighty interesting if we pick 4. I know there’s a debate if we should take a QB or go OL, but what if Harrison Jr. drops to us? I would think we would have to take him. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Things will get mighty interesting if we pick 4. I know there’s a debate if we should take a QB or go OL, but what if Harrison Jr. drops to us? I would think we would have to take him. 

You have to take Harrison if he is there. 

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl

image.png.8c9010ec1805fe9b71ddd1ee4eefa791.png

The Pats are now picking 2nd overall.  The nightmare scenario is playing out.

What nightmare scenario? They have a worse offense than the Jets right now. Belichick will be gone, one draft or QB will not fix their problems. They aren't drafting another Tom Brady.

Unless you're talking about the Jets, who suck more than most people anticipated, even those who thought the Rodgers job was going to be a disaster.

2 minutes ago, Hex said:

What nightmare scenario? They have a worse offense than the Jets right now. Belichick will be gone, one draft or QB will not fix their problems. They aren't drafting another Tom Brady.

Unless you're talking about the Jets, who suck more than most people anticipated, even those who thought the Rodgers job was going to be a disaster.

The fastest way to rebound is with a FQB in the draft.  There are supposed to be at least 2 of those in this draft (Caleb, Drake).  And if the season ended today, the Pats would be in position to get one of them.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

The fastest way to rebound is with a FQB in the draft.  There are supposed to be at least 2 of those in this draft (Caleb, Drake) and, if the season ended today, the Pats would be in position to get one of them.

I get what you're saying, but I just don't think the Pats are in any position to have any success with a rookie QB. They'll be bringing in a new HC AND GM, and the past few seasons Belichick has been destroying his team as GM. It will be the worst possible environment for a rookie QB.

1 hour ago, Hex said:

I get what you're saying, but I just don't think the Pats are in any position to have any success with a rookie QB. They'll be bringing in a new HC AND GM, and the past few seasons Belichick has been destroying his team as GM. It will be the worst possible environment for a rookie QB.

I actually NE beats Pitt next week and us in the finale, which would put us ahead of them (granted we don’t win another game).

• Upvote 1