• Jayden Daniels, QB - LSU

As of now we have the 6th pick.  The draft order is:

1) CHI (via CAR)

2) NE

3) ARI

4) WAS

5) CHI

6) NYJ

Chances are at least one or maybe even two of these guys will be gone when we pick.  My guess is Chicago takes Caleb, New England takes Maye, and Arizona takes MHJr.  After that it could go a lot of different ways.  Washington could take Olu/Alt or Daniels.  Chicago could go defense, or they could go with a weapon to add to their stockpile, be it Nabers or Bowers.  I doubt they go OT again since theirs are actually pretty good IMO.  Jones is solid and they just drafted Wright top-10.  

There is a scenario where we pick 6 and picks 1-5 are Caleb, Maye, MHJr, Olu, top defensive player.  That scenario gives us our choice of any one of the 4 players listed in this poll.  

Franchise LT

Elite WR

Elite TE

"potential" Franchise QB

Who makes the most sense?  All would fill a need.  I don't think you could say any of them would be a reach at 6th overall.  Not even Daniels since he'd most likely go just after we pick(Giants, Raiders, Falcons).  Not even the TE, since Bowers is so much more than that.  I know most people will just immediately say Alt, but I think more time should be put into this decision than "OL bad - Alt good".  Not saying he'd be the wrong choice.  In the end I'd be leaning towards taking Alt anyway.  But these are 4 ELITE prospects, or at the very least 3 elite prospects and 1 who is probably the best QB prospect that we'll have the chance to draft for at least a few years.  IMO everything here should be considered.

• Upvote 1

Daniels would be very interesting if they’d sit him for a year. But that would require the team to leave win now mode and either intentionally pissing off Rodgers or somehow unloading him but acquiring another veteran. I think the idea of taking him is a useful thought exercise from a hypothetical team building strategy standpoint but it strikes me as remarkably unlikely. Taking that out of it, need to love him and that comes down to interviews, off field stuff. I’d love to watch someone with his skill set play QB for the Jets though.

Nabers > Bowers for me. I know Bowers is unique, but we’ve heard it about tight ends before. It’s a hard position to adjust to at the pro level and the production just isn’t there relative to what a wide receiver can do - except for Kelce. Maybe Bowers is the exception rather than the rule but if that’s the case I’d be okay missing. Freaks in the mid rounds are much better risk/reward. Nabers fits so nicely with Garrett Wilson too.

That all said and taking this down a different road, when they inevitably win one or two of the Washington and New England games the conversation isn’t Bowers/Alt/Nabers it’s Bowers/Latham/Odunze and that’s much closer.

Nabers versus Alt is tough. I think a skill talent improves the offense more right away - Miami getting the ball out so fast yesterday is an example of what having skill guys can do to help out the OL. Alt is more a move for a team that’s committed to a longer rebuild since the OL is much more than one piece away. Not sure if they’ll see it the same but that’s what I see. Nabers could be a long term piece too - though I don’t know if we’ve seen a team commit to multiple pass catchers long term.

Ultimately the best move if you get it down to those two is just the guy they think will be the best long term player of the two and I’m not sure myself who that is. I think it boils down to what they think Alt looks like physically after time in a pro strength program.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, derp said:

Daniels would be very interesting if they’d sit him for a year. But that would require the team to leave win now mode and either intentionally pissing off Rodgers or somehow unloading him but acquiring another veteran. I think the idea of taking him is a useful thought exercise from a hypothetical team building strategy standpoint but it strikes me as remarkably unlikely. Taking that out of it, need to love him and that comes down to interviews, off field stuff. I’d love to watch someone with his skill set play QB for the Jets though.

Nabers > Bowers for me. I know Bowers is unique, but we’ve heard it about tight ends before. It’s a hard position to adjust to at the pro level and the production just isn’t there relative to what a wide receiver can do - except for Kelce. Maybe Bowers is the exception rather than the rule but if that’s the case I’d be okay missing. Freaks in the mid rounds are much better risk/reward. Nabers fits so nicely with Garrett Wilson too.

That all said and taking this down a different road, when they inevitably win one or two of the Washington and New England games the conversation isn’t Bowers/Alt/Nabers it’s Bowers/Latham/Odunze and that’s much closer.

Nabers versus Alt is tough. I think a skill talent improves the offense more right away - Miami getting the ball out so fast yesterday is an example of what having skill guys can do to help out the OL. Alt is more a move for a team that’s committed to a longer rebuild since the OL is much more than one piece away. Not sure if they’ll see it the same but that’s what I see. Nabers could be a long term piece too - though I don’t know if we’ve seen a team commit to multiple pass catchers long term.

Ultimately the best move if you get it down to those two is just the guy they think will be the best long term player of the two and I’m not sure myself who that is. I think it boils down to what they think Alt looks like physically after time in a pro strength program.

If it’s me with a fresh slate I go Daniels and focus the rest of draft and FA trying to support him. 

because it is this regime in win now mode, I think they go Tackle in Alt, although if i was in their shoes between alt and Nabers, I go Nabers. Just think he compliments garret so well and is a tier above the non-mhj receivers in the draft for me so far.

agree on you with bowers. I’d obviously be happy to have him, but the immediate impact is in the air. Nor do i trust our oc to use TEs well

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, derp said:

Pretty spot on.  I disagree with Bowers but at the end of the day history proves it's a risk at the very least.  I know the Pitts comp gets brought up a lot, but at the very least I think Bowers fits the mold of what great TE's usually look and play like, whereas Pitts always struck me as more of an oversized WR.  Not to say Pitts isn't a decent run blocker - he is - but he's no Bowers.  I think if there was ever going to be a guy to rival what Kelce can do, it's him.  BUT, you're right:  there's risk there, and risk isn't really what you want to be dealing with when choosing who to draft at #6. 

I think, like you, it would be between Alt and Nabers for me.  I guess a lot will have to do with what we're able to do in free agency.  For example if Bakhtiari gets cut and Rodgers pushes for us to bring him in.  I don't think he would slide over to RT, and I don't think Alt would make a ton of sense there either.  If that ends up happening then yeah, I'd probably rule out OT in that spot.  Maybe at worst a trade down, pick up an extra 2nd and take Latham or Fuaga or a WR like Odunze if he's there.

The one thing that keeps me coming back to Alt as the choice is that....we have Garrett Wilson....in reality we only need a #2.  We could find a long-term #2 in free agency.  We could even get lucky and find one in the 3rd or 4th.  It's much more likely to find a guy like that later in the draft than even a decent starting LT.  With the LT position though, even if we bring in Bakhtiari, this WILL be a need again very soon.  Maybe even before the 2024-25 season ends.  There are no other long-term options out there.  Alt and Olu are it.  I think that would lean me more towards Alt when all is said and done.

Agreed on Daniels as well.  If JD does decide to draft him it probably means Woody has given him confidence that his job is safe for the long haul, which I just don't see happening.  At most I think I'd let JD take a flier on a 4th rounder this year and save the "big QB investment" for the new regime if it comes down to it next year.  If we're coming off a great year and we still need to draft our QB of the future, then let JD take another swing in 2025.

Nabers would be amazing though.  Were he eligible for the 2023 draft I would have said he'd be the #1 prospect in that draft.  I think Garrett and Nabers would rival any WR duo in the league, especially with competent QB play.  But yeah, I think we can get by with a really good duo(Garrett and Higgins, for example) PLUS locking up that LT position for the next decade, since I think that's what Alt will be.  As long as it's one of these 4 guys though, I think I'll be content regardless. 

Alt -> Nabers -> Bowers -> Daniels would be my preference at the moment, but I get the sense that will change a bunch from now til April.  Let's hope we don't win too many meaningless games before then. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Pretty spot on.  I disagree with Bowers but at the end of the day history proves it's a risk at the very least.  I know the Pitts comp gets brought up a lot, but at the very least I think Bowers fits the mold of what great TE's usually look and play like, whereas Pitts always struck me as more of an oversized WR.  Not to say Pitts isn't a decent run blocker - he is - but he's no Bowers.  I think if there was ever going to be a guy to rival what Kelce can do, it's him.  BUT, you're right:  there's risk there, and risk isn't really what you want to be dealing with when choosing who to draft at #6. 

I think, like you, it would be between Alt and Nabers for me.  I guess a lot will have to do with what we're able to do in free agency.  For example if Bakhtiari gets cut and Rodgers pushes for us to bring him in.  I don't think he would slide over to RT, and I don't think Alt would make a ton of sense there either.  If that ends up happening then yeah, I'd probably rule out OT in that spot.  Maybe at worst a trade down, pick up an extra 2nd and take Latham or Fuaga or a WR like Odunze if he's there.

The one thing that keeps me coming back to Alt as the choice is that....we have Garrett Wilson....in reality we only need a #2.  We could find a long-term #2 in free agency.  We could even get lucky and find one in the 3rd or 4th.  It's much more likely to find a guy like that later in the draft than even a decent starting LT.  With the LT position though, even if we bring in Bakhtiari, this WILL be a need again very soon.  Maybe even before the 2024-25 season ends.  There are no other long-term options out there.  Alt and Olu are it.  I think that would lean me more towards Alt when all is said and done.

Agreed on Daniels as well.  If JD does decide to draft him it probably means Woody has given him confidence that his job is safe for the long haul, which I just don't see happening.  At most I think I'd let JD take a flier on a 4th rounder this year and save the "big QB investment" for the new regime if it comes down to it next year.  If we're coming off a great year and we still need to draft our QB of the future, then let JD take another swing in 2025.

Nabers would be amazing though.  Were he eligible for the 2023 draft I would have said he'd be the #1 prospect in that draft.  I think Garrett and Nabers would rival any WR duo in the league, especially with competent QB play.  But yeah, I think we can get by with a really good duo(Garrett and Higgins, for example) PLUS locking up that LT position for the next decade, since I think that's what Alt will be.  As long as it's one of these 4 guys though, I think I'll be content regardless. 

Alt -> Nabers -> Bowers -> Daniels would be my preference at the moment, but I get the sense that will change a bunch from now til April.  Let's hope we don't win too many meaningless games before then. 

I guess my two thoughts are on Bowers and the value of adding someone like Nabers.

Regarding Bowers, I think you got where I’m coming from in that a top of the draft tight end just hasn’t hit. Guys absolutely need to be evaluated in a vacuum, which is fair. Even there Bowers is listed 6’4, 240 (we’ll see where he measures but that’s not impressive for a tight end) and is going to graduate college never having broken 950 yards in a season. And he plays a non premium position.  

He’s a great player, but the bar he needs to hit to justify a top ten pick at a non premium position is almost impossibly high. Of the recent highly drafted tight ends TJ Hockenson is probably the best - he looks like he’s going to break 1,000 yards for the first time this year in his fifth season and on his second team. And he’s got a more traditional Y build. It’s just so tough to make an impact there. For me it boils down to whether I want to bet on someone being an outlier when all the other guys who were supposedly outliers haven’t been. He certainly could be, I just don’t think it’s good process.

Regarding Nabers, I think the value of that second receiver is huge. Philly took off when they added Brown to Smith, Miami with Hill and Waddle, the Bengals are deadly with Higgins and Chase, Purdy is playing at an MVP consideration level with Aiyuk, Samuel, CMC, and Kittle. I think that second passing game weapon in particular really simplifies things and makes it easier on a quarterback because it’s hard to double the way Miami was with GW yesterday and then once the pass needs to be respected it’ll open up things for Hall. Jets have been trying to play offense with a hand behind their back for a long time. Doesn’t have to be Nabers but they definitely need more skill talent.

Would like to acknowledge that Bowers could fill that role too, it’s just if they make that bet they’re assuming that the historical precedent at the position doesn’t hold. I think it’s more of a mix first round bet than at 6 but the Bowers conversation gets really interesting in the 8-12 range and I think that’s where they’re drafting anyway. I do like the idea of Bowers being a #2 passing game option with a team that runs a lot of 12 personnel and adds a take the top off guy to play across from Wilson. Think Hall-Bowers-Ruckert-Wilson-home run hitter works nicely. Play action, strong run game, threaten downfield, quick hitters to Wilson and Bowers. But I do think Bowers is a very risky option.

• Upvote 4

Our o-line is a mess. And even if we bring in a solid starting OT FA, we NEED a plug and play starter in the draft. Alt or Fashanu. If both are gone, trade down a few spots and take Fuaga. After watching Becton all season (especially last game) he is as good as gone. 

Bowers is tempting but feels like a luxury pick. 

Nabers is very tempting but the Jets can find a complimentary weapon to play alongside GW in FA or later in the draft. The fact is, with better QB and o-line play I'm convinced some of our weapons would be a lot more productive - Hall, Ruckert, Conk, GW, Gipson, yes, even Lazard. 

A QB doesn't really make sense, imo. I like Daniels but he is still very raw. The idea that the Jets won't have an opportunity at another raw, high ceiling QB prospect next year if things fall apart in 2024 is flawed imo.  

12 hours ago, PepPep said:

Our o-line is a mess. And even if we bring in a solid starting OT FA, we NEED a plug and play starter in the draft. Alt or Fashanu. If both are gone, trade down a few spots and take Fuaga. After watching Becton all season (especially last game) he is as good as gone. 

Bowers is tempting but feels like a luxury pick. 

Nabers is very tempting but the Jets can find a complimentary weapon to play alongside GW in FA or later in the draft. The fact is, with better QB and o-line play I'm convinced some of our weapons would be a lot more productive - Hall, Ruckert, Conk, GW, Gipson, yes, even Lazard. 

A QB doesn't really make sense, imo. I like Daniels but he is still very raw. The idea that the Jets won't have an opportunity at another raw, high ceiling QB prospect next year if things fall apart in 2024 is flawed imo.  

Well the hope is that a healthy Rodgers prevents us from truly falling apart, but yes it's always possible that the worst case scenario happens two years in a row.  

I'm kinda on the same page as Derp with this one though, to be honest.  Not so sure on Becton not being back.  Not being back at LT, sure, but he looked good at RT this year before making the switch and I think that spot better fits his ability.  This year for him was about staying on the field, which he has.  I'm pretty confident JD will bring him back for a year if a one year deal is a consideration for Becton(which I'd imagine it will be).  

Fair enough on what the strategy should be, but I think you can make the opposite argument as well: we can always sign a quality LT and draft an elite weapon, instead of the reverse.  Chances are Bakhtiari gets cut - Rodgers' best bud.  I have no idea if he'll even be ready to go by next season, but if he is, I'm pretty confident the Jets will be calling him.  Health issues be damned.  I think they'll also look at buying Warren another year of development as a plus.  He looked pretty damn good in his limited time at LT this year and I'm sure he's a kid they are high on.  

I agree that adding a long-term franchise LT is extremely appealing.  I also think that bringing in a veteran LT and having a rookie #2WR probably gives us a better chance at going on a deep run next year than signing a veteran #2WR and having a rookie LT.  Just something to consider.  Regardless, whatever route he takes, I just hope JD makes the right call.  Bright side is, this should be a hard pick to **** up as long as we avoid winning meaningless games the rest of the way.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Keon Coleman 

12 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Over Nabers? Interesting. 

I think it's easy to watch a Coleman highlight reel and think "we need this guy", but his route running ability is apparently a pretty big concern.  He is a huge target, has incredible athletic ability and is great at bringing in contested catches but I'm not sure how much success he'll have at the next level.  Odunze seems like a safer bet to me but both of them carry some risk IMO.  

No chance in hell I take any WR NOT named Marvin Harrison Jr over Nabers.  I don't buy this "you need a tall #2 WR" idea.  Two Garrett Wilson's doesn't sound like a bad thing to me.  

Alt or trade back. We've been making the same mistake for years. Draft a qb, surround him with sh*t, play him immediately, pray he succeeds. 

How about we build an offensive line that's a brick wall first. Detroit offense turned when they drafted sewell. He's the key to their success. Goff was a throw away, remember?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, derp said:

Would like us to make a different version of this thread in a week and a half when the pick’s locked in because it’ll be interesting pretty much wherever they end up.

Agreed.  Right now Daniels is the only guy I'm confident we'll have no shot at.  Chicago, Washington, NE, NYG are all teams picking ahead of us right now, and all are desperate for QBs.  Only one you could really argue against is Chicago but I still think they bite the bullet and replace Fields.  Daniels will most likely go top-5 if the draft were today.  I don't see that changing by the time April rolls around.

As long as we finish top-8 though we should have a shot at ONE of these other guys.  IMO that's the A-tier of this draft.  Caleb, Maye, Daniels, Alt, Fashanu, Harrison Jr, Nabers, Bowers.  Right now we pick 9.  I highly doubt we win tonight, and I doubt we beat New England either.  I'll be pretty surprised if we fall out of the top-8 when all is said and done.  

Fingers crossed for Nabers or Alt.  Either of those 2 would be my best case scenario for us.  Bowers would be a nice consolation prize, but I know the fanbase is pretty split on him.  

7 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Agreed.  Right now Daniels is the only guy I'm confident we'll have no shot at.  Chicago, Washington, NE, NYG are all teams picking ahead of us right now, and all are desperate for QBs.  Only one you could really argue against is Chicago but I still think they bite the bullet and replace Fields.  Daniels will most likely go top-5 if the draft were today.  I don't see that changing by the time April rolls around.

As long as we finish top-8 though we should have a shot at ONE of these other guys.  IMO that's the A-tier of this draft.  Caleb, Maye, Daniels, Alt, Fashanu, Harrison Jr, Nabers, Bowers.  Right now we pick 9.  I highly doubt we win tonight, and I doubt we beat New England either.  I'll be pretty surprised if we fall out of the top-8 when all is said and done.  

Fingers crossed for Nabers or Alt.  Either of those 2 would be my best case scenario for us.  Bowers would be a nice consolation prize, but I know the fanbase is pretty split on him.  

Definitely depends where they land so it’ll be interesting. If they end at pick 7 somehow it’s almost not even a discussion because it’s whoever’s left. Pick eight or lower folks could debate Bowers vs. Odunze vs. Latham at least.

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Seems like we’ll be shopping in that Latham/ Keon Coleman aisle

I know there are some Coleman fans based on where he was projected in October/November but I struggle to see how someone who had 658 yards in 12 games on an undefeated team mostly with a QB who is going to get drafted despite a season ending injury goes in the top 12 of the draft. It’s just not top of the draft production and I don’t see what the excuse for it is. 

Doesn’t mean he can’t be dominant in the NFL but I think if you’re going to go that high in the draft need to kind of show it in college first.

Feel like it’s more likely to be Odunze in that range and if anyone sneaks up it’ll be Troy Franklin if he blazes at the combine since he’s at least got some production and if that catch and run against USC is indicative of his speed the young man can move a little so he can build a little narrative anyway.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, derp said:

I know there are some Coleman fans based on where he was projected in October/November but I struggle to see how someone who had 658 yards in 12 games on an undefeated team mostly with a QB who is going to get drafted despite a season ending injury goes in the top 12 of the draft. It’s just not top of the draft production and I don’t see what the excuse for it is. 

Doesn’t mean he can’t be dominant in the NFL but I think if you’re going to go that high in the draft need to kind of show it in college first.

Feel like it’s more likely to be Odunze in that range and if anyone sneaks up it’ll be Troy Franklin if he blazes at the combine since he’s at least got some production and if that catch and run against USC is indicative of his speed the young man can move a little so he can build a little narrative anyway.

Brugler thinks Odunze is going high-high, fwiw. I have fears of beating the Pats and falling into the nether region of the first where we’re picking second round talent at 12(?) because you won a meaningless game. 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Brugler thinks Odunze is going high-high, fwiw. I have fears of beating the Pats and falling into the nether region of the first where we’re picking second round talent at 12(?) because you won a meaningless game. 

I’m curious regarding Odunze because I see a lot of heavily contested catches but he’s also shifty for a big guy. Little Keenan Allen vibe maybe?

Not sure what high high is, I do need to catch up on his stuff. I don’t know if he goes above Nabers or the tackles which probably puts his ceiling around 8 but even if he goes above one of those guys it just pushes somebody else who’s good down.

I do think the narrative here (and maybe elsewhere) will be that Bowers is a better prospect but to me you take the WR and let somebody else see if a TE lives up to a high pick for once. If some of those guys are off the board it’s probably fine though. If they can come away with one of the nine guys I got to (Williams, Maye, Daniels, Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Alt, Fashanu, Bowers) or Latham it’s probably not second round talent bad.

They're almost certainly going to win and end up around 12, though I don’t think it gets worse than that since each seven win team plays another so at least three will have at least eight non losses. It’s a shame because it’s a great offensive class and this team is bad but played over their heads twice (PHI, HOU), had late comebacks against terrible teams twice (NYG, WAS), played over their heads with a late comeback once (BUF), and caught a team in the part of their schedule they couldn’t beat anyone (DEN).

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, derp said:

I’m curious regarding Odunze because I see a lot of heavily contested catches but he’s also shifty for a big guy. Little Keenan Allen vibe maybe?

Not sure what high high is, I do need to catch up on his stuff. I don’t know if he goes above Nabers or the tackles which probably puts his ceiling around 8 but even if he goes above one of those guys it just pushes somebody else who’s good down.

I do think the narrative here (and maybe elsewhere) will be that Bowers is a better prospect but to me you take the WR and let somebody else see if a TE lives up to a high pick for once. If some of those guys are off the board it’s probably fine though. If they can come away with one of the nine guys I got to (Williams, Maye, Daniels, Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Alt, Fashanu, Bowers) or Latham it’s probably not second round talent bad.

They're almost certainly going to win and end up around 12, though I don’t think it gets worse than that since each seven win team plays another so at least three will have at least eight non losses. It’s a shame because it’s a great offensive class and this team is bad but played over their heads twice (PHI, HOU), had late comebacks against terrible teams twice (NYG, WAS), played over their heads with a late comeback once (BUF), and caught a team in the part of their schedule they couldn’t beat anyone (DEN).

I believe he said (implied?) that MHJr, Nabers, and Odunze are all top 8ish picks, along with the two QBs, two tackles, and Bowers. Nate Tice has pushed Daniels up into his top five, too. Feels like moving much further beyond 8 is no man’s land a little bit and we’d be going fishing. Could end up choosing between Latham, Coleman, and Fautanu, I guess. Maybe, as you said, Troy Franklin shoots up. I know it’s way early, but it’s such a missed opportunity to bone ourselves out of the top five for no reason. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I believe he said (implied?) that MHJr, Nabers, and Odunze are all top 8ish picks, along with the two QBs, two tackles, and Bowers. Nate Tice has pushed Daniels up into his top five, too. Feels like moving much further beyond 8 is no man’s land a little bit and we’d be going fishing. Could end up choosing between Latham, Coleman, and Fautanu, I guess. Maybe, as you said, Troy Franklin shoots up. I know it’s way early, but it’s such a missed opportunity to bone ourselves out of the top five for no reason. 

I genuinely don’t think Coleman ends up in that range, and I’d guess that Daniels cracks that top eight which pushes someone down. I wonder how many drafts started with that many consecutive players on one side of the ball. Fautanu is more around the teens/20’s. We’ll see where Fuaga lands. I don’t think Franklin goes that high but I’d guess a better shot than Coleman.

But a win next week definitely isn’t ideal. I do kind of think Belichick might want to middle finger Kraft on the way out the way Lovie Smith did in Houston, so who knows what happens.

Honestly if they win maybe it puts them in range to just dip out and recoup the second which is something I guess. There will be tackles and receivers later, if they’re taking one in a tier below may as well dip down further (maybe for a team wanting to start or continue a run at a defensive position). Certainly plenty of needs.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, derp said:

I genuinely don’t think Coleman ends up in that range, and I’d guess that Daniels cracks that top eight which pushes someone down. I wonder how many drafts started with that many consecutive players on one side of the ball.

But a win next week definitely isn’t ideal. I do kind of think Belichick might want to middle finger Kraft on the way out the way Lovie Smith did in Houston, so who knows what happens.

Honestly if they win maybe it puts them in range to just dip out and recoup the second which is something I guess. There will be tackles and receivers later, if they’re taking one in a tier below may as well dip down further (maybe for a team wanting to start or continue a run at a defensive position). Certainly plenty of needs.

100% agreed. I’d been resistant to even think about trading out if we were top-five because we have such a dearth of elite players, but if someone wants to come up to 9 or 10? Open for business, for sure. 

Yeah I'm still holding out for pick 7.  I think it's still pretty realistic for us to jump Chicago and then at least one of the Titans, Chargers, or Giants. Giants will probably have the hardest time winning these next 2 weeks against the Rams and Eagles, but the other two have some winnable games.  Chargers against Denver who has lost 2 straight and an inconsistent KC, and the Titans facing Houston who has come back down to earth and JAX who have lost 4 straight.

Again it's all moot if we beat New England, but I have a hard time banking on us doing something we haven't done in like 10 years or whatever the hell it's been....especially with Trevor Siemian as our QB, and our D having checked out(can't say I blame them).

I'm pretty sure right now we have the tie-breaker with both the Chargers and Titans.  Tie-breaker goes to the team with the weakest SOS.  As of now:

Jets opponents:  132-124

Chargers opponents:  134-122

Titans opponents:  135-121

Giants opponents:  131-125

Bears opponents:  120-136  (we have no chance of winning a tie-breaker with them)

So yeah, there's still hope for us to move up.  At best it looks like pick 5 if everything goes our way.  More realistic would be pick 7 or 8 if all goes well.

I was listening to Moving The Sticks today and DJ was talking about Wrs. He said he gave Odunze the same grade he gave MHJ. Now, I don't think DJ is always right (see Zach and Becton) but he does seem to be pretty tuned into how the rest of front offices may view propsects. This would be a nice development because it possibly improves the possibility of 1 of the OTs, Nabers or Odunze dropping to the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/29/2023 at 4:02 PM, maury77 said:

I was listening to Moving The Sticks today and DJ was talking about Wrs. He said he gave Odunze the same grade he gave MHJ. Now, I don't think DJ is always right (see Zach and Becton) but he does seem to be pretty tuned into how the rest of front offices may view propsects. This would be a nice development because it possibly improves the possibility of 1 of the OTs, Nabers or Odunze dropping to the Jets. 

DJ IMO is the #1 reliable draft person for how the Jets are thinking. I think he is the best analyst period, but as you pointed out, he seems to always be high on guys the Jets end up drafting. He was the first one I remember having Becton as one of the tier 1 tackles in that class. He was adamant ZW was going to Jets. He had Jermaine Johnson in his top 10 and we know from that draft the Jets said they got three players in their top 8. His board seems to always align w/ the Jets. 

As for this conversation. I think Daniels is out. You can argue about it all day - but unless there is a regime change - I think there is a 0% chance we pick a QB in round 1. 

Bowers is so intriguing to me. I think he and Pitts are the best TE prospects that I can remember. I'd take either as prospects over guys like Hockenson, Njoku, Engram, etc. Have to go back to Vernon Davis for me to remember a TE prospect I like as much (also interesting to note none of those guys really lived up to a round 1 pick). 

If the Jets don't sign at least one quality starter in FA I think they are destined to take an OT. Unless AVT is going to move to OT we have zero capable starters on the roster for next year. You can't rely on two mid round OTs to start for a 40 year old QB. Max Mitchell and Carter Warren haven't shown enough. 

I believe they'll go OT. If Alt and Olu are gone I believe it'll be Latham or the Oregon State OT. Maybe Mims from Georgia if the medicals are clean. 

My hope is that one of the OT spots are filled in FA. I just have no idea who that is since the pickings are bare. If they do get one and you assume AVT can move to OT - I think Nabers or Odunze would be awesome picks. Nabers and GW to me are similar players, so I can understand the desire to get a guy like Odunze who offers more size - but I believe both are stud prospects. 

Unfortunately finding OTs is a lot harder than WRs so my guess is we're taking an OT no matter what this draft.