Jets' Woody Johnson: Robert Saleh, Joe Douglas to return in '24

20 hours ago, extmenace said:

While everyone could have done a better job or would have / could have done something different, the biggest issues this year were injury related.

The biggest issue this year was that JD did not bring in a competent QB when Rodgers suffered his injury.

This boggles my mind, and I wish Woody realizes how bad this decision was.  And oh yea, that offensive line has been a bad, and never really improves under Joe Douglas.

Whenever Jeremiah speaks, I always get the sense Douglas shares similar views. He’s consistently wrong and it is annoying our GM has similar scouting chops. Darnold and Purdy’s arm strength look the same. These guys just can’t give up on bad picks they’ve endorsed.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Whenever Jeremiah speaks, I always get the sense Douglas shares similar views. He’s consistently wrong and it is annoying our GM has similar scouting chops. Darnold and Purdy’s arm strength look the same. These guys just can’t give up on bad picks they’ve endorsed.

You think so?  I think Darnold's arm is a lot stronger than Purdy's.

On 12/24/2023 at 2:01 PM, Bleedin Green said:

This was very obviously coming. JD put more effort last offseason into having the team be saddled with him another year than he did improving the team. And if JD is keeping his job then it would be idiotic to do anything but give the entire same group another year.

Short of things very unlikely magically turning around next season, then it will be time for the full housecleaning.

In other words, next year is yet another wasted season that did not have to be.

• Upvote 4

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

We would have never missed the playoffs for 13 straight years with Rex and Tanny running the show. 

I know we all have some very positive associations with both of them for those 2 AFC CG runs but, imo, Tanny traded away too many draft picks to build a sustained winner.  And Rex's bravado got annoying when the team stopped winning.  Admittedly, it's not like we've done any better since, though!

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I know we all have some very positive associations with both of them for those 2 AFC CG runs but, imo, Tanny traded away too many draft picks to build a sustained winner.  And Rex's bravado got annoying when the team stopped winning.  Admittedly, it's not like we've done any better since, though!

We're doing worse. lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Would be happy if we signed Darnold as our backup and *potential* successor for Rodgers and drafting someone in the 3rd/4th round.

• Ugh 1

49 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

In other words, next year is yet another wasted season that did not have to be.

Yes. The only way to salvage next year would be to draft a first round QB, which allows him to sit for a year.  
otherwise, we miss the playoffs next and will draft a rookie - starting completely over. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes. The only way to salvage next year would be to draft a first round QB, which allows him to sit for a year.  
otherwise, we miss the playoffs next and will draft a rookie - starting completely over. 

I don't trust JD to do that. He will probably stay away from QBs because he fears the decision maker, Aron Rodgers.

33 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I don't trust JD to do that. He will probably stay away from QBs because he fears the decision maker, Aron Rodgers.

Agree.  They're not going to draft a QB, but it's really the only way to have next year mean anything.  At least another losing season you're prepping a QB.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Agree.  They're not going to draft a QB, but it's really the only way to have next year mean anything.  At least another losing season you're prepping a QB.

This year would be a great year to draft a QB because he could sit and learn behind AR8 for 1-2 years.  But it would also be a dangerous year to draft one considering our GM is on the hot seat next year and we wouldn't want to saddle our next GM with a QB that he didn't pick.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This year would be a great year to draft a QB because he could sit and learn behind AR8 for 1-2 years.  But it would also be a dangerous year to draft one considering our GM is on the hot seat next year and we wouldn't want to saddle our next GM with a QB that he didn't pick.  

I get the risk.  

But right now if feels like next year is basically a waste, but without drafting a QB you're also wasting '25 with a rookie QB.

In other words, the next potentially competitive season is '26

I get that there's not really a choice right now and have to roll with Rodgers, JD and Staircase Bob - and likely draft a T...

Just sucks looking to the future of what's in store for us.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I get the risk.  

But right now if feels like next year is basically a waste, but without drafting a QB you're also wasting '25 with a rookie QB.

I get that there's not really a choice right now and have to roll with Rodgers, JD and Staircase Bob - and likely draft a T...

Couldn't agree more.  I hate where we're at.  I wish we were drafting a QB in round 1.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Shanahan said the same thing about Darnold after he got to work with him a bit. Said it about him before they dumped Trey Lance, too. 

Regardless, what makes Purdy a better QB is neck up not neck down. Darnold has a stronger arm than Purdy. Zach even stronger still. Doesn't matter whatever-million dollar arm they have because a 10-cent head trumps that. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Shanahan said the same thing about Darnold after he got to work with him a bit. Said it about him before they dumped Trey Lance, too. 

Regardless, what makes Purdy a better QB is neck up not neck down. Darnold has a stronger arm than Purdy. Zach even stronger still. Doesn't matter whatever-million dollar arm they have because a 10-cent head trumps that. 

10 cent heads run the Jets organization from top to bottom. So it makes sense they’ll utilize that thinking on a qb. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I get the risk.  

Why is next year a waste? 

29 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Why is next year a waste? 

For a number of reasons...

But mostly we have a bad HC, a 41 year old QB, that was already in serious decline, coming back without having played since the 2022 season when he was the 17th ranked QB.  

We have a GM that has shown no ability whatsoever to build an OL.  This OL needs 4 new starters - he's not going to be able to fix that.

To simplify.  41 year old declining QB, bad OL and bad coaching will translate to a bad season.   

• Upvote 1