are we making too big a deal on Penalties?

case in point

CRAZY STAT: the Jets commit the most penalties on offense. you want to see whos next???

#2 Dallas....#3 Seattle...#4 Cleveland...#6 GB.... #7 Houston....#8 Buffalo......#10 Baltimore... #13 SF

who commits the least offensive penalties?

#1 Vegas.... #2 Bengals....#3 Atlanta...#4 Jax.....#5 Chargers...

except for the Bengals they are not the best teams.

the top 10 teams with the most offensive penalties, 4 teams with 10 or more wins. Houston can be number 5 with a win on Sunday

the top 10 teams with the least offensive Penalties, no team has 10 or more wins. Pitt and Jax can get there with a win on Sunday.

the top 10 teams with the most offensive penalties. 3 teams with 10 or more losses.

the top 10 teams with the least offensive Penalties, 4 teams with 10 or more losses. Minn can be #5 with a loss on Sunday.

so to sum it up, 40% of teams who commit the most offensive penalties are really good. 30% are ok and 30% suck.... 30% as of today will make the playoffs with 3 teams (Buffalo, Houston, GB) can make it 60% with a win.

Zero % of the teams with the least penalties are really good. 60% are ok and 40% suck. only 2 teams are still alive for the playoffs.

so are we making too big a deal on penalties? who would have thought 3 maybe 6 of the worst will make the playoffs and the 10 best might not have one team make it. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

Penalties happen. Teams like Kcc and LAR won the super bowl while being the most penalized teams in the league that year 

The problem is that the Jets offense is historically bad and can't convert 3rd downs or score touchdowns. 

• Upvote 4

The penalties aren’t even in my top 5 issues with Saleh. 

Three years of terrible offense, blowout losses, bad performances with extra time to prepare, poor game/clock management, and a ridiculously poor record in the division are all much higher on the list of why this head coach kinda blows 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, doitny said:

case in point

CRAZY STAT: the Jets commit the most penalties on offense. you want to see whos next???

#2 Dallas....#3 Seattle...#4 Cleveland...#6 GB.... #7 Houston....#8 Buffalo......#10 Baltimore... #13 SF

the top 10 teams with the most offensive penalties, 4 teams with 10 or more wins. Houston can be number 5 with a win on Sunday

the top 10 teams with the least offensive Penalties, no team has 10 or more wins. Pitt and Jax can get there with a win on Sunday.

the top 10 teams with the most offensive penalties. 3 teams with 10 or more losses.

the top 10 teams with the least offensive Penalties, 4 teams with 10 or more losses. Minn can be #5 with a loss on Sunday.

so to sum it up, 40% of teams who commit the most offensive penalties are really good. 30% are ok and 30% suck.... 30% as of today will make the playoffs with 3 teams (Buffalo, Houston, GB) can make it 60% with a win.

Zero % of the teams with the least penalties are really good. 60% are ok and 40% suck. only 2 teams are still alive for the playoffs.

so are we making too big a deal on penalties? who would have thought 3 maybe 6 of the worst will make the playoffs and the 10 best might not have one team make it. 

No.  It depends on the penalties.  A hold committed to prevent the qb from getting leveled is mostly okay.  A stupid hold like we’ve seen from uzomah on a running play is not.  But the offsides or false starts hurt too.  Add up the yardage.  Becton had 40(?)?  That’s 200 yards of hidden offense that the offense has to make up for.  200 yards of offense should be equal to two+ tds.  And these procedural calls can be mitigated through good coaching.

2 hours ago, doitny said:

case in point

How do those teams rank in pre-snap penalties? Jets are 1st, none of teams you mentioned in the top 5. That's an indictment on the coaching. So if a CS can't teach them about staying set before the snap, how do you think they can teach them about the finer points of the game?

case in point

Fun fact the Jets rank in the bottom quarter of the league in actuall offensive plays.  

• Upvote 4

case in point

The NY Jets are the hybrid team of penalties:  Top in penalties but with the worst record in the group.  

5 minutes ago, Claymation said:

How do those teams rank in pre-snap penalties? Jets are 1st, none of teams you mentioned in the top 5. That's an indictment on the coaching. So if a CS can't teach them about staying set before the snap, how do you think they can teach them about the finer points of the game?

i agree but alot of that is the instability on the OL. i think we had 11 different OL combinations this year.

i had to run so i didnt post last year but we were 15th last year on offensive penalties. 15th also in 2021. so this might be a problem with Hackett?? 

Saleh didnt have this problem for 2 years so its either Hackett or the injuries.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

More fun facts.  We rank 30th in average yards per play and we rank 31st in 1st downs.  We run less offensive plays than the league average,  We rank near dead last in yards per play and 1st downs.  When you consider how conservative the game plan.  How we rarely through to the sticks on third down and the fact that we run so few plays, leading the league in offensive penalties seems like it would be almost impossible unless we were among the most unprepared teams in the league to actually snap the ball. 

This was the point I was going to make, when you have a functioning offense like those other teams the OP mentioned (Dallas, Cleveland, Houston, Buffalo, Baltimore etc etc) then you run way more plays and therefor have way more opportunities to get penalised….the fact we are number 1 despite being 90% 3 and out is staggering and an even bigger indictment on our indiscipline 

1st....what's their ratio of penalties to plays? If you are running more plays, you're gonna have more penalties. The ratio matters more

2nd...the pre snap penalties are particularly annoying and the jets lead the league I believe. And I'm willing to be they're near the bottom of the league in number of plays run. 

38 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

1st....what's their ratio of penalties to plays? If you are running more plays, you're gonna have more penalties. The ratio matters more

2nd...the pre snap penalties are particularly annoying and the jets lead the league I believe. And I'm willing to be they're near the bottom of the league in number of plays run. 

good point

from what i could find we are 23rd in plays with 990.

Dallas 1053, Cleveland 1134, GB 992, Houston 1027, Buffalo 1038, Balt 1019, 

now stat muse wont let me see past the Jets without paying for it but on teamranking.com it showed the avg plays per game and Seattle was last and SF 27th.

so Dallas, Clev and Buffalo are way ahead, Balt and Houston are about 2 plays per game better. not as bad as i thought. 

the difference between 10th and 23rd is 2.5 plays per game. considering how bad our offense has been i thought this would be worst.

5 hours ago, doitny said:

i agree but alot of that is the instability on the OL. i think we had 11 different OL combinations this year.

i had to run so i didnt post last year but we were 15th last year on offensive penalties. 15th also in 2021. so this might be a problem with Hackett?? 

Saleh didnt have this problem for 2 years so its either Hackett or the injuries.

Or Saleh is trying too hard be everyone’s buddy and not a leader.

Most of the other teams with a high penalty count actually get first downs. And touchdowns.

That means they play more snaps on offense. More chances to commit penalties.

Think about this for a second...........

The Jets offense is terrible. 1 of the worst of all time. They hardly ever get a first down. Never score TDs.

Yet they lead the league in penalties.

THEY PROBABLY ALSO HAVE THE FEWEST NUMBER OF TOTAL SNAPS ON OFFENSE IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE !

Definition of a s### show.