Vrabel Fired

19 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Herm Edwards was traded to KC after going 4-12.

No kidding, it’s happened a couple of times, the point wasn’t never has happened but the handful that do are usually traded because they’ve time left on contracts with their original team that needs to be compensated.  Payton just did.  Who else recently.  

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Also Bruce Arians was traded from AZ to the Bucs for a 6th round pick in '19 after three straight seasons with 8 wins or less (22-27-1 in that span).   Bucs also got a 7th rounder in the deal.

Again should have been clear.  It’s happened, Peyton was just comped, but it’s not all that often in the grand scheme of things.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Again should have been clear.  It’s happened, Peyton was just comped, but it’s not all that often in the grand scheme of things.

Right, because good coaches who carry value rarely get fired. The ones who get traded like Gruden, Belichick etc are in demand.

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I honestly think most teams in the league are more dysfunctional than we realize. They either have a QB or decent head coach that navigates wins and some playoff births so it looks less "Jetsy"

The organizations that are well built machines soup to nuts are outliers: Ravens / Steelers / HELL even the Patriots went from the Patriot Way !! It's the system !!! To...oh it was Brady real quick. The Giants another flagship franchise has been a mess for a long time but they have those rings to look less like a circus.

And the other thing that I'll say is what makes the Jets look consistently worse --- the media leaks --- which I believe come from ownership. You rarely hear about any drama brewing like we the Jets do and the stories that get out are VERY specific, rarely just general statements.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Right, because good coaches who carry value rarely get fired. The ones who get traded like Gruden, Belichick etc are in demand.

Again, as I said, not often.  Especially if you throw out trades brokered by the commissioner when teams need help getting it done like Parcells to the Jets or the Pats tampering with Bellichick.

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@Jet Nut you ever get tired of constantly defending the decisions of the least defensible franchise in American pro sports?  

What’s being defended here?  
That teams rarely trade for HCs?  That’s defending the Jets?  Got it, least defensible franchise in American pro sports.  

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Strongly suspect NE has not fired Belichick because they think they can get trade value out of him. Kraft is probably right.

2 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Strongly suspect NE has not fired Belichick because they think they can get trade value out of him. Kraft is probably right.

However finding a team that will trade premium picks for a coach over 70 is going to be difficult, regardless of who that coach is.

This would put NE behind in the gm and coaching replacement searches. Don’t forget they need to hire two if they indeed move on from Belichick.

• Upvote 1

On 1/9/2024 at 12:55 PM, Jack Straw said:

In NFL history, no head coach has begun their career with three losing seasons and then gone on to win in the fourth season—except for Bill Belichick. It's an unprecedented feat, and Robert Saleh isn't Bill Belichick.

The vast majority those coaches don't get a fourth season.

19 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

Exactly.

Vrabel is a good coach (much better than the boobs in charge of the Jets) but ultimately, he's a conservative, defence-minded, ground and pound coach who rode a potential hall of famer to four winning seasons.

Titans decided that Vrabel wasn't the right man to take them to the promised land, and they're in a division where it seems that C.J. Stroud is set to dominate for the next 10 years. Perhaps they'll regret firing Vrabel if Stroud runs roughshod over the division, but Vrabel went 6-18 in his last 24 games (by comparison, Saleh went 8-16 in his last 24 games) and had a seven game losing streak in 2022 that saw them miss the playoffs.

There would be an initial euphoric reaction to Vrabel being hired as the head coach of the Jets (should Woody reverse course, fire Saleh and hire Vrabel) but we'd be bemoaning his conservative approach to game management pretty quickly.

I will probably get killed for saying this, but there's nothing wrong with the conservative "Defense/Ground and Pound" approach when you do not have an elite QB, which is the case for most teams. It's easier to construct your team this way, and it gives you a puncher's chance each week.

That's why my issues with Saleh have nothing to do with his philosophy. It's the complete lack of discipline the team has. The penalties this team committed this year were MURDER. That's on him. I'm not saying he needs to be a tyrant, but he's way too lax with the players and it shows on the field. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

However finding a team that will trade premium picks for a coach over 70 is going to be difficult, regardless of who that coach is.

This would put NE behind in the gm and coaching replacement searches. Don’t forget they need to hire two if they indeed move on from Belichick.

I don't know if Belichick commands premium picks, but maybe a couple mid-round picks the team wouldn't have otherwise. Trading Belichick for anything is free resources for NE.

I'd imagine with all the earlier talk about Belichick leaving after this season that they've already started talks. I wouldn't be surprised if Kraft has been blowing up Harbaugh's phone for months with the mindset of giving him both roles. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/9/2024 at 11:55 AM, Jack Straw said:

In NFL history, no head coach has begun their career with three losing seasons and then gone on to win in the fourth season—except for Bill Belichick. It's an unprecedented feat, and Robert Saleh isn't Bill Belichick.

Woody Johnson is attempting something that has never been accomplished before, except by the greatest head coach in football history.

We are doomed.

So, I wanted Robert Saleh fired, but this is technically incorrect:

Besides Belichick, Weeb Ewbank, Tom Landry, and Chuck Knoll also all had at least 3 straight losing seasons to start their careers. 

Weeb Ewbank was 7-5 in his 4th year. 

Chuck Knoll was 11-3 in his 4th year. 

Tom Landry actually had 5(!) straight losing seasons to start his career and was 7-7 in his 6th year. 

The key thing is that all all of the examples were decades ago because, in this day and age, nobody is allowed to have more than 3 straight losing seasons anymore. 

But yea, we are doomed

46 minutes ago, varjet said:

Kraft wants BB to go without having to pay  him. 

BB wants to leave but still get paid.  

Vrabel will want to interview soon.  

I think Kraft blinks. 

Two s***bags.  

Yeah, but.......

Belichick is under contract for 2024.  Short of Bill doing something that voids the contract, the New England Patriots are on the hook for his contract.  He is going to get paid.  It is a matter of by whom.

If he back channeled to see if there is mutual interest from a team or teams, then the Patriots and said team will need to work something out.  My guess Bill for draft pick(s) and the Patriots eating some of his contract.

Even at 71, Bill has value.  The good thing for the Patriots, he is under contract.  If Bill wants to wait until he is 73 to coach another game, then he can go do TV.

41 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Yeah, but.......

Belichick is under contract for 2024.  Short of Bill doing something that voids the contract, the New England Patriots are on the hook for his contract.  He is going to get paid.  It is a matter of by whom.

If he back channeled to see if there is mutual interest from a team or teams, then the Patriots and said team will need to work something out.  My guess Bill for draft pick(s) and the Patriots eating some of his contract.

Even at 71, Bill has value.  The good thing for the Patriots, he is under contract.  If Bill wants to wait until he is 73 to coach another game, then he can go do TV.

Oh that would be perfect.

Bill that was a great play they drew up there, what can you tell us about it?

"On to Cincinnati!"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I think with all the openings Vrabel will get a job and soon. Seattle just opened and other teams like Carolina etc.

I would expect Carolina to be the last hire. What good GM and HC are going to want to deal with that psycho owner?

I can almost guarantee Vrabel doesnt go to Carolina…but I could see Seattle as a potential (if NE falls through) 

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

So, I wanted Robert Saleh fired, but this is technically incorrect:

Besides Belichick, Weeb Ewbank, Tom Landry, and Chuck Knoll also all had at least 3 straight losing seasons to start their careers. 

Weeb Ewbank was 7-5 in his 4th year. 

Chuck Knoll was 11-3 in his 4th year. 

Tom Landry actually had 5(!) straight losing seasons to start his career and was 7-7 in his 6th year. 

The key thing is that all all of the examples were decades ago because, in this day and age, nobody is allowed to have more than 3 straight losing seasons anymore. 

But yea, we are doomed

Yes, I was aware of those three...I should have prefaced it with the disclaimer "in modern NFL history". 

4 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Yeah, but.......

Honestly, I think BB would be tremendous at TV.  I hope he does do it at some point.  I love hearing him speak about the game.   When Patriot reporters ask him somewhat obscure questions in a PC, he gives the absolute greatest answers.  I remember one about special teams and he went through the whole history.  I think the reporter had a follow-up question that BB also answered.  And BB even thanked the reporter for the question.  I could watch quite a bit of that type of stuff.

I feel like TB12 is going to be kind of milquetoast, btw, but we'll see.

And BB def has value as a HC.  Teams will absolutely try to trade for him.

• Upvote 1

Woody has some competition for worst owner. Imagine Vrabel taking direction from Joy Behar 

During the hiring process to replace GM Jon Robinson, who was fired by Strunk late last season, Vrabel made two comments to Strunk that created friction between them, three team or league sources said. Vrabel wanted full control over the roster, saying that he’d earned it, and Strunk pointedly disagreed. Strunk has carried a belief over the years that head coaches shouldn’t have full control, pointing to the way things went for the Titans in the later years of Jeff Fisher’s tenure, and watching from afar the issues that transpired for the Patriots with Bill Belichick and Bill O’Brien with the Texans.

When Carthon was close to getting the job, Vrabel told Strunk he liked Carthon but didn’t feel he was ready to become an NFL general manager. Vrabel’s suggestion: The Titans hire Carthon as the assistant GM, a promotion from his position as No. 3 in the 49ers’ pecking order. Strunk did not take kindly to this suggestion, and team sources believe her and Vrabel’s relationship took a hit as a result of that conversation.

Vrabel spent the Titans’ bye week in Foxboro, Mass., as a guest of owner Robert Kraft to be inducted into the Patriots Hall of Fame. Vrabel had won three Super Bowls as a player with New England, and in a speech to the crowd before an Oct. 23 Patriots win against the Bills, Vrabel said: “I don’t want you to take this organization for granted. I’ve been a lot of places, this is a special place with great leadership, great fans, great direction, and great coaching. Enjoy it. It’s not like this everywhere.”

The speech raised some eyebrows in Tennessee. When he returned to Nashville, Vrabel was asked by reporters during a press conference if his comments were directed at the Titans organization. He said: “(The Patriots) have won six Super Bowls in 20 years, that’s what I was alluding to. I don’t know what to tell you. It’s just a lot of success. … The amount of success that they had there, the whole message was, just for myself and the former players and everything, just to not take things for granted.”

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Honestly, I think BB would be tremendous at TV.  I hope he does do it at some point.  I love hearing him speak about the game.   When Patriot reporters ask him somewhat obscure questions in a PC, he gives the absolute greatest answers.  I remember one about special teams and he went through the whole history.  I think the reporter had a follow-up question that BB also answered.  And BB even thanked the reporter for the question.  I could watch quite a bit of that type of stuff.

I feel like TB12 is going to be kind of milquetoast, btw, but we'll see.

And BB def has value as a HC.  Teams will absolutely try to trade for him.

If that were to be the case I would think NFL Network where he can have more time to speak X’s and O’s and in depth about the game would be the place for him.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Any chance BB would want to stick it to the Pats and come back here?

Nope and will almost certainly be their next head coach and thrive lol.

However…he is a guy who wants to win now and is adverse to rookie QBs. If we actually had some balls and brains, you fire Saleh, install Vrabel, let Rodgers keep his Hackett and go win a damn championship.

• Upvote 1