Is this plan cap-disciplined enough as a way to maintain the defense in 2024?

My question assumes that the defense is worth saving. Yes, there's a bit of padding in the Jets number 1 rank in yards per play and number three rank in yards per game  because teams chose to run on us at an above average volume (in part because the run defense was average, but also because the pass defense was strong). But very conservatively, the defense is in the top seven. And, remember, unlike last year we played only six games against teams which trotted out back-up/not-good QB talent--Mac Jones; Zappe;. O'Connell,  Taylor/DeVit;o, Ridder, Briisset/Howell

So here's the plan:

(1) resign Ashtyn Davis and Bryce Huff to three or four year deal and cut Mosely. The 11 million we save in '24 will pay for the  combined '24 cap hit for Davis and Huff (assuming  contracts for them with big signing bonuses and little salary in '24).

(2) To fill in at LB, safety and DT, use no draft choices above the fifth round and sign minimum salary, or little more, FAs.

(The biggest stumbling block to this happening is the "politics" of cutting CJ.)

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

worst idea i ever heard of.

there is a reason why guys like Devante Adams and Tyreik Hill become FAs. because they cost too much to keep that there teams dont want to put cheap FAs and 5th rd draft picks in key positions.

face it Huff is gone.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

worst idea i ever heard of.

there is a reason why guys like Devante Adams and Tyreik Hill become FAs. because they cost too much to keep that there teams dont want to put cheap FAs and 5th rd draft picks in key positions.

face it Huff is gone.

When were Hill and Adams free agents?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alworth said:

My question assumes that the defense is worth saving. Yes, there's a bit of padding in the Jets number 1 rank in yards per play and number three rank in yards per game  because teams chose to run on us at an above average volume (in part because the run defense was average, but also because the pass defense was strong). But very conservatively, the defense is in the top seven. And, remember, unlike last year we played only six games against teams which trotted out back-up/not-good QB talent--Mac Jones; Zappe;. O'Connell,  Taylor/DeVit;o, Ridder, Briisset/Howell

So here's the plan:

(1) resign Ashtyn Davis and Bryce Huff to three or four year deal and cut Mosely. The 11 million we save in '24 will pay for the  combined '24 cap hit for Davis and Huff (assuming  contracts for them with big signing bonuses and little salary in '24).

(2) To fill in at LB, safety and DT, use no draft choices above the fifth round and sign minimum salary, or little more, FAs.

(The biggest stumbling block to this happening is the "politics" of cutting CJ.)

No chance they’re cutting Mosley

Can someone please explain to me why anyone would want Davante Adams?  If he was a one year rental then maybe you give up a 3rd round pick for the opportunity to pay him $16million but hes not.  The guy has $44 million cap hits in BOTH 2025 and 2026 when he will be 33 and 34 years old.  That is absolutely horrendous.

The only WRs who were on rosters at 33+ years old were Theilin, Marvin Jones and the fan favorite Randall Cobb.  And we are going to sign up to have massive cap hits for someone that age?

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Can someone please explain to me why anyone would want Davante Adams?  If he was a one year rental then maybe you give up a 3rd round pick for the opportunity to pay him $16million but hes not.  The guy has $44 million cap hits in BOTH 2025 and 2026 when he will be 33 and 34 years old.  That is absolutely horrendous.

The only WRs who were on rosters at 33+ years old were Theilin, Marvin Jones and the fan favorite Randall Cobb.  And we are going to sign up to have massive cap hits for someone that age?

His cap hit is 14 and 25 the next two years. Prob the most you’d want him for. 

51 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I don't think you have that right.  I think he costs $!7M or so this year and $35 or so the next.  I think the $44M counts the $8M per year in pro-rated signing bonus that the Raiders already paid him.  His 2025 and 2026 numbers are not guaranteed either.  Contracts keep going up and I think for 2024 he won't even cost as much as Christian Kirk or Diontae Johnson.  The money is the reason be careful in trading for him, but it isn't necessarily a deal breaker.  I'm pretty sure it will cost more to sign Mike Evans or Tee Higgins.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think you have that right.  I think he costs $!7M or so this year and $35 or so the next.  I think the $44M counts the $8M per year in pro-rated signing bonus that the Raiders already paid him.  His 2025 and 2026 numbers are not guaranteed either.  Contracts keep going up and I think for 2024 he won't even cost as much as Christian Kirk or Diontae Johnson.  The money is the reason be careful in trading for him, but it isn't necessarily a deal breaker.  I'm pretty sure it will cost more to sign Mike Evans or Tee Higgins.

Oh sh*t! How much is that?!?! 

• Haha 4

For discipline and principle reasons the Jets cannot keep Mosley and Tomlinson for what they make.  They should be offered reduced salaries to stay -more than another team would pay, but reduced.  If they don’t agree they should be cut. 

14 hours ago, Alworth said:

So here's the plan:

It'd not going to make me look good that you're agreeing with me on Mosley and then in the next breath drop the idea of paying Ashtyn Davis and Bryce Huff signing bonuses so big that - even with the smaller amortized (1/3 to 1/4, from your plan) SB hit in '24 - those bonuses are still large enough that the two of them eat up $11MM cleared from the '24 cap by cutting Mosley.

Even more embarrassing is I initially read this as Bryce Hall.

What are you trying to do to me?

• Upvote 1

@Sperm Edwards. All I was trying to do was elicit constructive feedback from knowledgeable posters like you. And you didn't disappoint (see the upvote above). You agreed about CJ but found my plan to preserve the D to nevertheless not be disciplined enough. How would you proceed regarding the D--not signing Davis and Huff and also implementing my low-draft pick/low FA salary approach? doing something else.? I'm asking in order to  to be educated by our cap guru; I'm not asking in hopes of winning debating points.

I never bailed on Ashtyn Davis and think he's worth 3 years fourteen million. He's worked at improving and it shows both on D and specials.  Thus, he wouldn't seem like someone that would go half-speed after getting his "bag".

4 hours ago, Alworth said:

I never bailed on Ashtyn Davis and think he's worth 3 years fourteen million. He's worked at improving and it shows both on D and specials.  Thus, he wouldn't seem like someone that would go half-speed after getting his "bag".

He is not worth that. He’s a special teams/part time player. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Alworth said:

@Sperm Edwards. All I was trying to do was elicit constructive feedback from knowledgeable posters like you. And you didn't disappoint (see the upvote above). You agreed about CJ but found my plan to preserve the D to nevertheless not be disciplined enough. How would you proceed regarding the D--not signing Davis and Huff and also implementing my low-draft pick/low FA salary approach? doing something else.? I'm asking in order to  to be educated by our cap guru; I'm not asking in hopes of winning debating points.

I didn't get the notice here, but no worries, and ffs don't take anything I say seriously. Except that CJ Mosley should be cut. 

In all seriousness, I don't see how they're retaining Huff based on what little has been leaked. Specifically, this is about more than money for Huff: he wants to start, and Saleh/Ulbrich aren't going to start him. They're going to use him as a situational pass rusher because they see others as better-rounded ends, and what more he adds to the D being full time on unexpected pass plays he may take away on any number of 500 rushing plays. So the only way they retain him is either 

a - way outbid the best offer he gets, where it's so much more he'll put his ego away and take the best offer. So that's not outbidding by a million but upwards of $4-5MM/year. They're not doing that. 

b - tag him. They're not doing that either because, frankly, he's just not a $23MM/year player. No one's going to offer the Jets a draft pick (let alone a high one, at that) for a chance to have $23MM become the baseline amount for a multi-year deal with Huff. 

He'll probably sign somewhere else for about $15MM, and another double-digit sack season (for that new team) may be what awaits. Jets fans will say we should've just outbid that offer by $1MM, as though Huff would surely have taken that, but it's imaginary. He wants out. He wants to start. The Jets don't have that to offer him. And the franchise tag is just too much for a guy not 100% starting. 

It's a little like when they lost Morgan Moses to FA in some ways. It's not that they wouldn't offer Moses $5MM instead of other crap tackle depth at $2-3MM (and that ended up being $9MM when they signed Duane Brown after Becton went down again). It's that they wouldn't guarantee him the starting RT job in March, with Becton then out just 1 season, plus Fant coming off a far better season than Moses (and playing a more valuable position). Moses was fine in '21; people are misremembering that he played much better than that for the Jets, but there's a reason his top offer was for so little annually with just 1 season guaranteed.

Unless they got in early on a Huff extension before the season began, the writing was on the wall with him leaving as soon as they drafted McDonald. I hope McDonald's all some hyped him up to be, because in Huff they're going to lose a serious and proven edge rusher. We'll see.

• Upvote 1

I think they can be cap disciplined enough to cover their needs.  The thing is saleh has got to realize that scoring 24+ points per game will help his defense. The biggest ticket will most likely be if they go after a guy like adams.  His current contract is ridiculous and they’d have to give up picks.  We don’t really know how they feel about their younger oline players like glaser, Newman, Warren and Mitchell.  One or more could surprise and reduce the starter requirement from two to one.  They are in good position to draft a good left tackle and can possibly get a decent guard.  Alternatively they could draft a wr with the one pick and then go fishing for oline help.  Fabini was a sixth rounder back in 98 and he wasn’t that bad.  A lot of this depends on how good the coaches are at coaching.  Carter has taken quite a bit of flak from Tyler Lewan and it was seconded by becton.  But I saw an interview with lewan and he basically said Carter was mainly a hard azz and hurt players feelings,  considering that the underachieving becton came out against the guy should be a positive.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Sperm. You 've convinced me that it's unlikely that there will be a   scenario in which Huff is affordable, not just in '24 but over the life of an accepted contract as a whole. My other musings about what to do about the D, especially because we agree about CJ, can wait for your response after the offseason unfolds more..

• Upvote 1