Trade some of the DLine for OLine

This team is just dumb. I’m still annoyed they didn’t even trade back when drafting McDonald. We’d have a little more ammo to trade up this year. 

Tomlinson and Becton need to go. Tipp is the center and I would put AVT at his original position in LG. We need 3 new starters. Warren is not ready to be the starting RT on an all in season.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Ah ... I see you think the resources are already distributed evenly enough .. thanks.

And that our 40 year old shadow is far from harm as the offense stands right now... Setup for sure success.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

That wasn't what I said ... but weakening one part of the team to strengthen another doesn't solve the problem, it just moves it around like deckchairs.

There's no reason we can't have a good offense as well as a good defense. It doesn't have to be either / or. And no one is trading us a bona fide left tackle whatever we offer in return, which is our key challenge right now IMHO.

Don't know if it's better to have 1st round picks across the board, or 3rd round picks with another batch of 3rd round picks right behind them.

SO many teams lose a ton of lineman, every year. Browns last night played with BOTH tackles out. Same with the Chiefs in that SB against Brady. Jets. I think it matters who you have on the bench as much as who you have starting. Having a top tackle, making top jack, starting with a 6th round pick making pennies behind him would be great to start the season. But sooner or later that top tackle making top jack will be in the blue tent. NOW it matters who's playing behind him.

If having top talent across the line means there's no money for the backups, that has to be considered as well. I think.

• Sympathy 1

Trading McDonald would be so beyond dumb.  First off his value probably has dropped to that of a 2nd - maybe even lower considering that's where a lot of teams had him on draft day.  Second, the coaching staff loves him to the point where they valued him over offensive help.  It's not like these needs weren't needs last year.  Plus he's most likely right where they expected him to be at this point in his development.  My guess is Huff is gone and McDonald gets a big increase in work load next year.  

Player for player trades are just so rare in the NFL, I don't see it happening.  If you want to talk about trading future picks for OL help, maybe, but even then I'd rather not give a GM on the hot seat the green light to deal picks beyond the 2024 draft.  If we have a new regime come 2025, I want them having all the ammo they need to go get their QB if that's the route we go.  But honestly, besides all that, teams just aren't in the business of trading good young OL.  Outside of trading guys like Sauce and Garrett, it just ain't gonna happen.  Teams don't value RBs enough to trade one for Breece, and Quinnen is too expensive to get one(not to mention trading him a year after re-signing him, where he just made the Pro Bowl, would be an awful look).

It really shouldn't be that complicated to fix an OL to the point of getting to league average levels - especially when you already have pieces like AVT and Tippmann.  We've got a top-10 pick for christ sake.  Go draft Fuaga if you're that desperate, or trade some of these assets to move up for Alt.  I'm 1000000% sure that if you're willing to part with your '25 1st(again, I don't think we should be doing this) you can move up for enough to get your guy.  

Also AVT is not going anywhere.  Maybe they'll try to bring in some high-end depth, but he'll be penciled into the starting RG spot once again.  The hope is that they stop bouncing his ass around next year and just let him stick to a position. 

Alt or Olu/UFA - Tomlinson - Tippmann - AVT - Fuaga/UFA

That should be enough.  Bring back McGovern who is solid cheap depth.  Maybe draft another guard in the 3rd or 4th.  My gut tells me they'll bring in Bakhtiari as well.  More than likely you're looking at next year:

LT: Bakhtiari/Smith/Williams; Warren

LG: Tomlinson; 3rd or 4th

C : Tippmann; McGovern

RG: AVT; Schweitzer

RT: Fuaga/Becton; Mitchell

Probably add one more cheap UFA swing tackle.  If it's Becton instead of Fuaga, that probably means we drafted Odunze, Bowers, or Nabers.  Regardless it's a much better OL than we rolled into 2023 with.  If you really want to trade for a guy though, call the Giants about Evan Neal.  Those are the only types of guys who you might be able to get.  Guys like that or old men near the end of their careers, who are expensive and have younger players ready to take their jobs.  

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, neckdemon said:

Trading Mcdonald isn't going to happen. He barely played, the compensation would probably be a 3rd round pick at best, maybe 4th. Plus the dead money hit we would take for the next few years and we would lose 3 million in cap space this year to do it. it's a dumb idea, and will never happen. Anyway, he will be needed to play because Huff is a goner. Douglass mismanaged that and now we will likely be losing him for nothing. Douglass sucks at GM'ing

Trading McDonald now after his first year is a similar suggestion to trading Jermaine Johnson last year, just before he leveled up and showed that he's one of the Top 4 defenders on this team.  McDonald on a cheap rookie deal with a 5th year option is a great thing to have for this team.  The Jets will be looking down the barrel of extensions for guys like Sauce, JJ, etc. in a couple years.  They have to manage the Cap on the defensive side of the ball.  McDonald was drafted precisely so that the Jets could survive the near-term departures of guys like Carl Lawson and, unfortunately, Bryce Huff.

In short, Will McDonald is not one of the guys we should be looking to trade now.  His value will increase in the coming years IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Trading McDonald now after his first year is a similar suggestion to trading Jermaine Johnson last year, just before he leveled up and showed that he's one of the Top 4 defenders on this team.  McDonald on a cheap rookie deal with a 5th year option is a great thing to have for this team.  The Jets will be looking down the barrel of extensions for guys like Sauce, JJ, etc. in a couple years.  They have to manage the Cap on the defensive side of the ball.  McDonald was drafted precisely so that the Jets could survive the near-term departures of guys like Carl Lawson and, unfortunately, Bryce Huff.

In short, Will McDonald is not one of the guys we should be looking to trade now.  His value will increase in the coming years IMO.

huff should have been traded at the deadline. this team wasn't winning anything and now we will lose him for nothing. douglass is a moron

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

huff should have been traded at the deadline. this team wasn't winning anything and now we will lose him for nothing. douglass is a moron

Agreed.  Buy low, sell high.

Most of us knew that Huff would be nearly impossible to keep with the other investments the Jets have made and will need to make, particularly on offense this offseason.  He should have been traded.  It would have given McDonald more reps too, which would have been a positive.  McDonald was drafted a year before the Jets need him in order to give some optionality on the DLine in terms of retaining personnel.  Lawson seems gone (and should be).  I'd love to keep Huff but the Jets didn't want to be held hostage by him this offseason, that's why McDonald was taken IMO.

The DLine will possibly take a step back but the Jets seem comfortable with DEs like JFM, JJ, McDonald, Clemmons, etc.  They need another big body in the middle next to QW.  Another Quinton Jefferson type is needed inside.  But I think the Jets will roll largely with what they have.  Huff departs, McDonald will have to step up, and the Jets sign a mid/low $$$ run-stopping DT to put in the rotation.

Conceptually the team is designed to let some of the more expensive DL go to build the rest of the roster because (1) Douglas acquires new young DL every year and (2) the great Robert Saleh supposedly develops them into desirable assets. Problem is, once you get away from Q, JJ and Huff, the rest of the DL is just ok so there's not that much value to deal away. Lawson is gone. Huff is gone. So maybe keep Q and the rest of the DL is the middle of the pack guys. It would make the defense go from very good to bad. Now your pass rush is ok at best and teams can both run and throw easily against them. 

Two or three years down the road when more of the players are rolling off their rookie contracts, this may not be a problem.

I don't think there's enough available OL talent to get a good return on those trades. The team has to figure out how to develop OL and keep them healthy. That's far more valuable than trading away the one good unit on the team.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Dunnie said:

The OLine has never been this desperate for an overhaul. I think the only answer may be to swap assets. Assets a good team would normally keep, in order to balance the distribution of talent much more equitably across both lines.

Trading McD, Lawson if possible, hell even Q depending on compensation.

Even after doing this .. much of FA and the draft should be concentrated on this group .... It's that bad.

Tippmann is a starter at C, tackles .. no one, G ... AVT when he plays is a force .. but has been unreliable. Yes ... It's that bad ... Wake up Joe.

I'd trade QW and Sauce in a heartbeat if I got a fair market deal in picks in return (and I believe we would).  And be assured those picks would go towards Offense, O-line, WR, QB.

D players are overhyped, overloved, overvalued.  We'll never win a damn thing the way we do business now.

Offense is worth twice what Defense is worth.  I'd finish with "prove me wrong", but the Jets will never try it, so we'll never know.

Looking forward to the excuses for why Rodgers will lead a 23rd (or similar) ranked O next year, when all the fans will hand-wring and navel-gaze and wonder how it all could have happened, lol.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

Two things, first off who is to say they won’t resign him. Secondly, he should  get us a 3rd round comp pick if for some reason they are unable to resign him.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Addison was there.  The guy’s tape from

college was fap-worthy. What a joke

Bryce Huff is one year older than McDonald, a proven pass rusher and the jets are going to let him walk and keep the likes of mosley and hope McDonald get get to 10 sacks

That pick made no sense at all, not in the least.  Pure pandering to a D centirc head coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Dunnie said:

The OLine has never been this desperate for an overhaul. I think the only answer may be to swap assets. Assets a good team would normally keep, in order to balance the distribution of talent much more equitably across both lines.

Even after doing this .. much of FA and the draft should be concentrated on this group .... It's that bad.

Tippmann is a starter at C, tackles .. no one, G ... AVT when he plays is a force .. but has been unreliable. Yes ... It's that bad ... Wake up Joe.

You are right, but the likely main DLineman being traded at least initially will be Huff most likely. If they can get a 2nd rounder for him they will still have JJ, McDonald, and JFM as Edge rushers and other backups that are pretty good as well. There will be a little be of a dropoff there, but we may be able yo improve against the run with trading Huff since he is a liability there. Meanwhile, recouping the 2nd rounder we lost in the Rodgers trade gives us the 10th overall pick, and a 2nd, 3rd, and two 4th rounders. Out of those 5 picks we should pick 3 Olineman basically 2 OTs and another Inside Olineman. We should also get some Olineman from FA. If this occurs we may be able to fix the Oline in one year. Then with those other 2 of the 5 draft picks I mentioned we can get help at WR by drafting one and trading one of the picks for Adams or another established WR. Hopefully then we can use our 6th round draft pick and a few other lower round draft picks that we can perhaps pickup by trading QB Wilson and with the lower picks draft more Oline, WR, and Safety depth type players. This should all not be real difficult for JD to do. The most difficult part would be fitting WR Adams contract on our cap if they trade for him, but they can always restructure a few contracts to get that done.

50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

D players are overhyped, overloved, overvalued.  We'll never win a damn thing the way we do business now.

Offense is worth twice what Defense is worth.  I'd finish with "prove me wrong", but the Jets will never try it, so we'll never know.

I've long believed that good defensive coordinators can do more with less compared to the ability of offensive coordinators to do more with less. There's a few teams with really banged up defenses this year, for example, which have ranked alright and shown the ability to still play good defense.

It begs the question, if you have a HC that is defensive mastermind.. what is the value if they need all pros and really good players everywhere especially if they don't seem to bring value as the HEAD coach?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Two things, first off who is to say they won’t resign him. Secondly, he should  get us a 3rd round comp pick if for some reason they are unable to resign him.

well since huff has already said he wants to play in a system that values him higher i'd say thats means he doesn't want to re-sign here.  there's no guarantee that we end up getting any compensatory picks, since it's based on number of CFA's lost to number gained. Even if we end up losing more than we gain (doubtful) there's no gurantee he gets valued as a 3rd rounder. and then no matter what the pick won't be until next draft anyway. we need the pick this year, this team is in win now mode with a 40 year old aaron rodgers. douglass screwed up, thats all there is to it. the most likely scenario is that we lose huff and get nothing in return

8 hours ago, Dunnie said:

The question is ...

... Is a dominant D and the worst offense imaginable more powerful than a very good D and an above average offense?

You hit the nail on the head. We are better off having our D drop down a little from dominant to very good, and try to use the resources to make the offense go from completely f&cking useless to as functional as possible.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

well since huff has already said he wants to play in a system that values him higher i'd say thats means he doesn't want to re-sign here.  there's no guarantee that we end up getting any compensatory picks, since it's based on number of CFA's lost to number gained. Even if we end up losing more than we gain (doubtful) there's no gurantee he gets valued as a 3rd rounder. and then no matter what the pick won't be until next draft anyway. we need the pick this year, this team is in win now mode with a 40 year old aaron rodgers. douglass screwed up, thats all there is to it. the most likely scenario is that we lose huff and get nothing in return

We need to sign/tag and trade Huff. It can be done.

12 hours ago, Dunnie said:

No.

8 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Yes, brilliant. Package a free agent and guy on last year of his deal looking for a top contract. Teams will lining up for that!

Both guys are unrestricted Fa’s . Jets didn’t pick up M Bectons fifth year option.  Jets can use tge franchise tag or transition tag on either one.   If they don’t both are gone. 

The Jets will trade either JFM or Huff after he is tagged. JFM with a 5th probably gets you a 3rd. Huff plus a 5th probably gets you a second. Mosley is also tradable since his contract is easily converted to an extension spreading out his cap hits over 2-3 years.

The one player that can be acquired is probably Garett Bolles from the Broncos. He’s a good starter with a reasonably alterable contract that can save short term cap space. 

Otherwise I’d rather just sign Tyron Smith for 1-year at $12-$15 million. Also sign Cam Fleming as swing tackle for $4 million.