*FASHION THREAD* Prices drop on NFL Shop Jets Jerseys. Uniform change incoming?

On 1/20/2024 at 8:09 PM, Maxman said:

I am not a uniform guy, I think that is a young man's game. I see all the passion for it and I am like whatever. I would still have them rocking the 80's version if it was my decision.

If I was the owner, I'd put them in the plainest of uniforms possible and say that better uniforms are earned.

• Sympathy 1

This is a great week for uniforms for my favorite teams. The Jets are going back to my favorite iteration of their uniforms and the Yankees are going back to their classic road uniforms that they wore pre-1973. Great moves!!!

1 hour ago, teptep said:

Everything depends on the 80's logo being included in this rumored update.  If the 80's logo isn't there, this will be a fail.  One commenter in the comments section on the recent article on Uni-Watch  about the Jets' speculated uniform change:

https://uni-watch.com/2024/01/21/exclusive-interviews-with-the-guys-behind-the-jets-uni-rumors/
-
talks about how the ownership of the Jets are married to the current boring wordmark - that they custom commissioned the typeface, the wordmark is all over the Atlantic Heath Facility in wall murals, and is all over multiple Jets venues.  The commenter goes on to say that the reason why the 80's logo didn't return five years go was because ownership didn't want to spend the money to rebrand all of these facilities as the cost would be prohibitive, that the priority is to make the logo match this typeface that's already on the facilities and that's why the team went with the current, boring logo as it tied into the existing signage.  

The 80's jets logo is, by far, the best logo that the franchise has ever had.   If the Jets release new uniforms, and stick with some variant of the current wordmark, or try to use elements of the 80's logo with the current typeface to create a weaker version, any new look is going to be a big fail. 

Until this season, the Jets haven't played a game with the 80's logo since the 1997 season, but the fans are attached to the logo and routinely display it.  Let's hope the Jets bite the bullet and pay-up to re-brand their facilities so that this logo can return.

If they keep the current logo + wordmark then we are an even bigger joke than I thought.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, teptep said:

Everything depends on the 80's logo being included in this rumored update.  If the 80's logo isn't there, this will be a fail.  One commenter in the comments section on the recent article on Uni-Watch  about the Jets' speculated uniform change:

https://uni-watch.com/2024/01/21/exclusive-interviews-with-the-guys-behind-the-jets-uni-rumors/
-
talks about how the ownership of the Jets are married to the current boring wordmark - that they custom commissioned the typeface, the wordmark is all over the Atlantic Heath Facility in wall murals, and is all over multiple Jets venues.  The commenter goes on to say that the reason why the 80's logo didn't return five years go was because ownership didn't want to spend the money to rebrand all of these facilities as the cost would be prohibitive, that the priority is to make the logo match this typeface that's already on the facilities and that's why the team went with the current, boring logo as it tied into the existing signage.  

The 80's jets logo is, by far, the best logo that the franchise has ever had.   If the Jets release new uniforms, and stick with some variant of the current wordmark, or try to use elements of the 80's logo with the current typeface to create a weaker version, any new look is going to be a big fail. 

Until this season, the Jets haven't played a game with the 80's logo since the 1997 season, but the fans are attached to the logo and routinely display it.  Let's hope the Jets bite the bullet and pay-up to re-brand their facilities so that this logo can return.

Omg no that old logo is terrible 

It would be soooo Woody though to cheap this thing out and keep the ugly logo we currently have.

I didn’t even consider the rebranding part to this equation 

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

It’s this exact uniform, what they wore. 

image.thumb.jpeg.24489ccc3a743f65bb9dd58dae576b12.jpeg

Not sure how the green version will look. But yeah, it’s this. 

If that's the case it would be perfection.  I could see customizing the current legacy jersey by adding a small 80's logo to the back of the jersey at the collar. Also, I could see using the current typeface with "NY" in a football shaped-oval patch on a sleeve.

However, what about all of the expensive signage around their facilities? Are they going to change them out or keep them?  Some of them, like the painted murals might be low cost, but the physical signage could be quite expensive to update.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, teptep said:

If that's the case it would be perfection.  I could see customizing the current legacy jersey by adding a small 80's logo to the back of the jersey at the collar. Also, I could see using the current typeface with "NY" in a football shaped-oval patch on a sleeve.

However, what about all of the expensive signage around their facilities? Are they going to change them out or keep them?  Some of them, like the painted murals might be low cost, but the physical signage could be quite expensive to update.

Signs? They’ll just change them. They swapped it all last time when they did the new unis. They’ll just do it again. I think Woody will be able to handle it lol. 

18 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Signs? They’ll just change them. They swapped it all last time when they did the new unis. They’ll just do it again. I think Woody will be able to handle it lol. 

Did they?  I could be wrong, but I believe the current typeface extends back to the Parcells-era Namath uniform re-do.  They had that typeface custom-created...according to some.  That typeface was used since then. I think the signage on the facility did not need to change in 2019 - they made the boring helmet logo match the facility signage at that time.  I am specifically referring to the large metal letter blocks by the flag pole, the metal wordmark at the entrance to the facility, the wordmark painted on the top of the facility, the metal wordmark outside the facility, etc...

45 minutes ago, teptep said:

Did they?  I could be wrong, but I believe the current typeface extends back to the Parcells-era Namath uniform re-do.  They had that typeface custom-created...according to some.  That typeface was used since then. I think the signage on the facility did not need to change in 2019 - they made the boring helmet logo match the facility signage at that time.  I am specifically referring to the large metal letter blocks by the flag pole, the metal wordmark at the entrance to the facility, the wordmark painted on the top of the facility, the metal wordmark outside the facility, etc...

Simple fix…reintroduce the Namath era unis as our alternate/throwback.  Then all word marks, both new and old, will be relevant.

23 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

Simple fix…reintroduce the Namath era unis as our alternate/throwback.  Then all word marks, both new and old, will be relevant.

The original 1960's and revised 1998 Namath-era uniform with wordmark is not identical to the current wordmark used on the facilities.  Until the switch to the ugly uniforms in 2019, the wordmark in  Namath logo and the wordmark commissioned by the Jets were different.  The letter "J"  in the Namath-era logo was elongated and taller than the "ets."  This was often a mismatch, I believe, between the Namath-era logo and the painted "JETS" in the end zone during games from 1998-2018.  The only time the current wordmark on the facilities have matched the helmet is from 2019-present (except for the idiotic football on the bottom of the helmet logo).

My first choice for a new, permanent look are the 1980s uniforms  + 1980s  logo, however a second choice, or better yet, for use as an actual throwback uniform, would be a correct 1960's Namath era uniform, with a brighter kelly green, correct shoulder stripes and a true football-shaped (not oval) Namath-era classic logo.    As an alternate logo, I could see the Namath-era football shaped logo with the 1980's wordmark inside of it.  However, there are too many white helmets already in the AFC East (Bills and Dolphins, Patriots when they use throwbacks), so having the green helmet is preferable.  In fact, the Bills should go back to their red helmet.

On 1/23/2024 at 7:41 AM, 68JET11 said:

@Maxman...

Ok, you can go ahead and close the thread out, because nothing will ever look as good as these uni's PERIOD !!!

100% agree Phil. I really wish this is what they were going back to. I get the folks who love the 80’s and call them the “legacy uniform”- but to me, this version is the one that truly deserves that title. I’d be fine with the 80’s as the alternate and wear them four times. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Gibby said:

100% agree Phil. I really wish this is what they were going back to. I get the folks who love the 80’s and call them the “legacy uniform”- but to me, this version is the one that truly deserves that title. I’d be fine with the 80’s as the alternate and wear them four times. 

image.thumb.png.59c9cc78f1e70cfeb37c6cc61a4e690b.png

Mrs Gibby endorses this post.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 7:41 AM, 68JET11 said:

@Maxman...

Ok, you can go ahead and close the thread out, because nothing will ever look as good as these uni's PERIOD !!!

IMG_8177.jpeg

Best uniform's in NFL besides Chargers blue yellow lightning bolt.  Woody get your nose out of the fashion circle you Truman looking bookworm and give the fans what they want!

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

IMG_8177.jpeg

Best uniform's in NFL besides Chargers blue yellow lightning bolt.  Woody get your nose out of the fashion circle you Truman looking bookworm and give the fans what they want!

The biggest problem is they’ll never look this good again thanks to Nike.  The Jets would tune the shade of green in photos taken during media day so it looked like this…

_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Screenshots_Screenshot_20180331-173606.thumb.png.789ea890ce78a0f7bc760a8d4c07de06.png

DBK1609010543_JETS_AT_EAGLES.jpg.e9f30334e9f239573eb479ee864467bc.jpg

…and then when they stepped on the field it would look like this under the lights or in the sun.

If I knew that we wouldn’t be wearing a shade of green that looks like a filled diaper after mashed peas, I’d be all for it.

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2024 at 4:04 PM, teptep said:

Many signs are modular. Also, swapping panels isn't too cost prohibitive unless they are huge. They don't have to swap everything at once - they are all part of the Jets history. It's not necessary that the facility is up to date right away. I design signage packages and brands - in this case IMO it would be fine for a slower rollout at the facilities. You can also re-use the electronic parts of the sign and just switch out the graphic panels. It really wouldn't take that long to change if you focused on it - we have several months before the start of the season. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

The biggest problem is they’ll never look this good again thanks to Nike.  The Jets would tune the shade of green in photos taken during media day so it looked like this…

_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Screenshots_Screenshot_20180331-173606.thumb.png.789ea890ce78a0f7bc760a8d4c07de06.png

DBK1609010543_JETS_AT_EAGLES.jpg.e9f30334e9f239573eb479ee864467bc.jpg

…and then when they stepped on the field it would look like this under the lights or in the sun.

If I knew that we wouldn’t be wearing a shade of green that looks like a filled diaper after mashed peas, I’d be all for it.

Pablam Green