Jets Probably not Finished Paying for Aaron Rodgers Trade

Aaron Rodgers

When the New York Jets traded for future Hall of Fame quarterback Aaron Rodgers from the Packers back in April, the price was a swap of first round picks which dropped the Jets from 13th to 15th, a second and sixth-rounder last season and what will be a second-round pick this season.  That was the price on the surface anyway.  But in all reality, the Jets are likely going to be paying a bit more this offseason.

Having lost their second-round pick in the deal, the Jets are currently slated to pick 10th in the first round but are then without a choice until pick 72 in the third round.  That just won’t do.

Serious injuries to both Mekhi Becton and Alijah Vera-Tucker have left the Jets with more questions than answers on the offensive line.  There’s every reason to believe they have have one answer in Joe Tippmann who was named to the All-Rookie team.

Offensive tackle Carter Warren saw limited action but did enough to garner the attention of former Jets great Damien Woody, who recently said he believes Warren should be an option to start for the Jets in 2024.

For my #Jets fans…I think Carter Warren is gonna be a key guy this offseason. I thought he showed some glimpses out there. He needs to have a big offseason and be part of the solution for their OL

— Damien Woody (@damienwoody) January 25, 2024

It gets pretty ugly after that.

Left guard Laken Tomlinson has been the most durable offensive lineman since arriving two seasons ago, but he has also been one of their worst performing blockers.

At best, you can say the Jets currently have one high end starter (Tippmann), one question mark (Warren) and a poor performing guard (Tomlinson).  As a result, the Jets will quite obviously be looking to go heavy on the line come draft time.

Without that second round pick on hand to take advantage of a deep class on the O-line because of the Aaron Rodgers deal, Douglas will likely look to be aggressive in hoping to add picks.  Be it a trade down from 10, a tag and trade of Bryce Huff or perhaps even dealing 2025 picks to add some selections this year.

The good news for the Jets is that while they may have to surrender some assets to add picks, this year’s class is the right time to do it.  The potential to add two starting linemen early on is very real and we’ve seen that on display in Mobile at the Senior Bowl this week.

The Jets have already been linked to Oregon State offensive tackle Taliese Fuaga according to Rich Cimini of ESPN New York.

If the @nyjets end up trading down in the first round, they should make sure they don't drop too far to lose out on a shot at @beaverfootball OT Taliese Fuaga. Nasty tone setter in the trenches. pic.twitter.com/NigKDnaAwx

— Glenn Naughton (@JetsPicks) December 8, 2023

But with or without Fuaga, there is an abundance of talent at tackle with Olumuyiwa Fashanu of Penn State, Alabama’s JC Latham, Amarius Mims of Georgia, Houston’s Patrick Paul and a slew of others.

And it doesn’t end at tackle.  There are a pair of potentially elite centers in Cedric Van Prann and Jackson Powers-Johnson while Graham Barton, Cooper Beebe and Troy Fautanu offer help at guard.

If ever there was a year to need offensive linemen it was this year.  And if ever there was a year to trade for a second-rounder after the Aaron Rodgers deal, this would be it for the Jets.

The post Jets Probably not Finished Paying for Aaron Rodgers Trade appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

I think there’s a belief that the oline needs to get into the top ten.  Okay that’s great if they can achieve that but what this type of thinking forgets is the quality of the oline play is also determined by the qb and the running backs.  With Rodgers and hall in the backfield I think the oline really only needs to be average ( how this is determined, I don’t know.  Maybe pff ratings of the individual players).  Rodgers and hall will be able to be pretty effective if this is the case.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I think this line if thinking is incredibly faulty.   I've seen it before and I do buy it at all.

Oh if you have a QB then the oline is not a big deal, until that QB gets hurt.

Same thing with RB.

Oline is the foundational part of any offense, if it is not good you do not win.

there's a point in the year when the sun is shining the grass is growing and high-flying teams like Miami with marginal OL can look like SB contenders

by the time we get to January the inclement weather the sub-zero conditions, the OL becomes alot more important 

QB is always important and can cover up a lot of ills but OL is especially important in coin-flip situations, late in the year, when the rubber meets the road as they say - under pressure all of a sudden you realize the emperor has no clothes

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

there's a point in the year when the sun is shining the grass is growing and high-flying teams like Miami with marginal OL can look like SB contenders

by the time we get to January the inclement weather the sub-zero conditions, the OL becomes alot more important 

QB is always important and can cover up a lot of ills but OL is especially important in coin-flip situations, late in the year, when the rubber meets the road as they say - under pressure all of a sudden you realize the emperor has no clothes

Spoken like an offensive line guru.  Just let the QB throw it up.  I will make a circus catch whether I am covered, he is pressured or not!

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:
Glenn writes it.   They aren't finished paying for it.  They won't be until that 2nd is off the board. 

The second we don't own?

Yes.  The 2nd that had no bearing on anything that happened in 2023, but will not be ours in 2024.  It was a future asset.  That future is coming.

It would be a very aggressive move by JD to trade next year's first round pick for a high second round (or low first round).  

Another team could bet that the Jets are going to stink next year.  Not a far fetched bet.  

1 minute ago, varjet said:

It would be a very aggressive move by JD to trade next year's first round pick for a high second round (or low first round).  

Another team could bet that the Jets are going to stink next year.  Not a far fetched bet.  

Only way that’s justifiable is if they use it on a qb and have that guy be the backup this year.  

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Spoken like an offensive line guru.  Just let the QB throw it up.  I will make a circus catch whether I am covered, he is pressured or not!

a team needs all these things (and luck) to win the SB - a reliable chain-moving WR/TE to target on 3rd down is a huge part of that recipe. 

it's not a coincidence that this SB has the best lineman in the game in Trent Williams and the best interior 3 in the game in Thuney/Creed/Trey Smith - and the runners up from last week also had studs in Sewell, Linderbaum, Ragnow, Stanley etc 

late in the year the OL becomes super important it usually happens around Dec and Jan right in time for fantasy playoffs

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:
Yes.  The 2nd that had no bearing on anything that happened in 2023, but will not be ours in 2024.  It was a future asset.  That future is coming.

Ah. The "what if" game. Gotcha.

Exactly. It's all semantics, but whatever. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

a team needs all these things (and luck) to win the SB - a reliable chain-moving WR/TE to target on 3rd down is a huge part of that recipe. 

it's not a coincidence that this SB has the best lineman in the game in Trent Williams and the best interior 3 in the game in Thuney/Creed/Trey Smith - and the runners up from last week also had studs in Sewell, Linderbaum, Ragnow, Stanley etc 

late in the year the OL becomes super important it usually happens around Dec and Jan right in time for fantasy playoffs

If I wasn't very old, I would find "reliable" to be a huge insult!

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I think this line if thinking is incredibly faulty.   I've seen it before and I do buy it at all.

Oh if you have a QB then the oline is not a big deal, until that QB gets hurt.

Same thing with RB.

Oline is the foundational part of any offense, if it is not good you do not win.

Should they go after van roten again?  I mean just how do you judge the players you in?  Van roten made the top five of pffs free agent guard list but that was aplenty due to the coaching and the guys playing next to him.  I don’t think I’m advocating average oline play as much as getting decent players and then coaching them so the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.  I think on paper the jets oline was adequate but when they started to drop like flies it didn’t play as a unit and failed.  And then there were guys like Mitchell who sort of went through a sophomore jinx.

we’ll see.  The jets will have to be careful with their draft and free agent selections.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

I think there’s a belief that the oline needs to get into the top ten.  Okay that’s great if they can achieve that but what this type of thinking forgets is the quality of the oline play is also determined by the qb and the running backs.  With Rodgers and hall in the backfield I think the oline really only needs to be average ( how this is determined, I don’t know.  Maybe pff ratings of the individual players).  Rodgers and hall will be able to be pretty effective if this is the case.

It also feels worse because the o-line that everyone watched was void of AVT.

It’s redundant to say, but it’ it goes to sht both years immediately after he was out.

It will feel like 3 new starters are in 2024.

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Should they go after van roten again?  I mean just how do you judge the players you in?  Van roten made the top five of pffs free agent guard list but that was aplenty due to the coaching and the guys playing next to him.  I don’t think I’m advocating average oline play as much as getting decent players and then coaching them so the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.  I think on paper the jets oline was adequate but when they started to drop like flies it didn’t play as a unit and failed.  And then there were guys like Mitchell who sort of went through a sophomore jinx.

we’ll see.  The jets will have to be careful with their draft and free agent selections.

Van Roten is ranked top 5 on the PFF free agent list and that doesn't make you question PFF at all? Like, not in the slightest? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

San Fran does not have anything approaching a dominant or even a nominally above average OL. They have Trent Williams and...that's about it. Aaron Banks, Jake Brendel, Jon Feliciano, and Colton McKivitz make up 4/5 of their OL? A year ago when the personnel was better, all 3 of their QBs were injured at various times, unable to return, relegating Josh Johnson to get promoted in the NFCCG. The right side of their line has been a problem all year for them. Just this past Sunday, how much did a receiving weapon like Kittle have to stay in to help block against Detroit?

The Chiefs may be good in the middle but both of their tackles are has-beens who suck.

Their excellent QBs make their lines look better, just like a terrible QB makes a line look worse, whether the OL personnel is generally good or bad.

Plus on KC Mahomes has been getting some of the Brady treatment, letting his guys hold more than ours who would get flagged  not just every time they held, but even at times when there was no penalty committed.

On San Fran they have so many weapons that it makes it really hard to blitz on them. Which guy do you leave in single coverage or outright open: Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, or McCaffrey out of the backfield? Purdy rarely needs to reach 2.5 seconds before the ball's out in no small part because if it. 

No one's arguing the team's OL can be dogcrap and they should still be contenders - and the Jets' line was yet again weak this past season; I doubt I'd have noticed them slip further if you started a couple games for them - but you're way overrating the personnel on these teams' lines. When the Jets even lost ONE lineman from their playoff team, that was deemed as the reason the whole line fell apart because - as it was said - the line is only as strong as its weakest point, so a weak RT ruined the whole line. BOTH super bowl teams have weak RTs plus at least 1 other weak blocker on KC and 3 other weak blockers on SF.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Well since Jets season typically over by Thanksgiving I agree with you and then I go cry a bit. Bit!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

San Fran does not have anything approaching a dominant or even a nominally above average OL. They have Trent Williams and...that's about it. Aaron Banks, Jake Brendel, Jon Feliciano, and Colton McKivitz make up 4/5 of their OL? A year ago when the personnel was better, all 3 of their QBs were injured at various times, unable to return, relegating Josh Johnson to get promoted in the NFCCG. The right side of their line has been a problem all year for them. Just this past Sunday, how much did a receiving weapon like Kittle have to stay in to help block against Detroit?

The Chiefs may be good in the middle but both of their tackles are has-beens who suck.

Their excellent QBs make their lines look better, just like a terrible QB makes a line look worse, whether the OL personnel is generally good or bad.

Plus on KC Mahomes has been getting some of the Brady treatment, letting his guys hold more than ours who would get flagged  not just every time they held, but even at times when there was no penalty committed.

On San Fran they have so many weapons that it makes it really hard to blitz on them. Which guy do you leave in single coverage or outright open: Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, or McCaffrey out of the backfield? Purdy rarely needs to reach 2.5 seconds before the ball's out in no small part because if it. 

No one's arguing the team's OL can be dogcrap and they should still be contenders - and the Jets' line was yet again weak this past season; I doubt I'd have noticed them slip further if you started a couple games for them - but you're way overrating the personnel on these teams' lines. When the Jets even lost ONE lineman from their playoff team, that was deemed as the reason the whole line fell apart because - as it was said - the line is only as strong as its weakest point, so a weak RT ruined the whole line. BOTH super bowl teams have weak RTs plus at least 1 other weak blocker on KC and 3 other weak blockers on SF.

What you need is a qb who knows where to go with the ball and can get the ball out quickly.  That was Brady’s success.  He always won vs the blitz.  Rex beat him by dropping 8 or 9.  

• Upvote 3

Remember when the Rams were touted as tanking the 2023 season last summer? And then proceeded to become one of the hottest teams down the stretch, and then were dangerous in the playoffs?

Amazing what competent QB play, some talented playmakers and a good coaching staff can accomplish.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Remember when the Rams were touted as tanking the 2023 season last summer? And then proceeded to become one of the hottest teams down the stretch, and then were dangerous in the playoffs?

Amazing what competent QB play, some talented playmakers and a good coaching staff can accomplish.

We say it all the time but success is so qb driven that you should draft way more than you think if you don’t have a good one.  Find even an average qb in any round of any draft and that’s gold. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

I don't get the point of the article.

The Jets OL would be a total mess independent of the Aaron Rodgers trade.

Weird conflation.

It’s  whining that if the jets didn’t make the trade they’d be able to pick an OL in round 2