Jets need two offensive tackles and starting guard. Where we going to get them?

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I didn’t say there were good options at LT. RT there are some options but LT will come down to a gamble on Tyron Smith, Bakhtiari, Donovan Smith, etc and draft pick.

Tyron Smith seems to be the next best choice then. Bakhtari cannot be expected to be counted on. To many serious injuries and he's no spring chicken.  Donovan Smith and Becton are essentially the same player - not the answer.  And dropping a rookie at LT is just not a smart thing to do IMO.  

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Rogers was pressured, sacked, and shell shocked in only four plays behind the BEST version of our o-line last year.

He's not saving squat unless they sign two new tackles and draft another receiver at 10 (hopefully Nabers drops). 

LOL seriously. He was trying to dodge guys like Keanu out there. Terrible.

And I dont want to here a thing about Tomlinson. The dude only had a 1 good yr his whole career - his contract year. He's a turnstile.

• Upvote 1

I always keep thinking about the year we drafted Brick and Mangold and they were the  building blocks of that team that went to the AFC Championship. I'd have no prob doing that this year and I'm sure AR is on board with something like that. Our first two draft picks are OLs. 

Exiling Tomlinson needs to be looked at in a 2 year lens.

Cutting him saves $13M in 24 but has a dead cap hit of $5M in 25.

When the market prices are established for Guards next month, $8M yearly average is your break even point. Over the past couple of years that has been about the 3rd best contract to Guards.

I think there is some decent G depth on the market this year to pull the trigger on this move. 

And signing someone like Onwenu, Peat, etc. who can play RT and G, will give them greater flexibility in the draft.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Exiling Tomlinson needs to be looked at in a 2 year lens.

Cutting him saves $13M in 24 but has a dead cap hit of $5M in 25.

When the market prices are established for Guards next month, $8M yearly average is your break even point. Over the past couple of years that has been about the 3rd best contract to Guards.

I think there is some decent G depth on the market this year to pull the trigger on this move. 

And signing someone like Onwenu, Peat, etc. who can play RT and G, will give them greater flexibility in the draft.

Peat is one of the guys I hope we target, age vs experience is good, 30 years old and a lot of playing time.  As you note he can play guard or tackle and has been a 3 time pro bowler.  (Not that being a former pro bowler should ever be a huge factor but it at least shows when right he can play at a high level.)

Thomlinson needs to go first and for most because he is no good.  The Jets love to keep guys that are no good or very limited at a high financial cost becasue they like their character.  Same reason why they will do something stupid like restructure Mosley.

26 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

If Bakhtiari wants to be a reserve and take the veteran minimum, I am on board. If he is the replacement for Duane Brown, I'll get my pilot license and rent a plane myself. 

Exactly this. Granted his physical checks out.

• Sign him to a big incentive-based deal 

• Sign another LT who could start

• Draft OT in the 1st who could start at RT and eventually take over at LT

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Peat is one of the guys I hope we target, age vs experience is good, 30 years old and a lot of playing time.  As you note he can play guard or tackle and has been a 3 time pro bowler.  (Not that being a former pro bowler should ever be a huge factor but it at least shows when right he can play at a high level.)

Thomlinson needs to go first and for most because he is no good.  The Jets love to keep guys that are no good or very limited at a high financial cost becasue they like their character.  Same reason why they will do something stupid like restructure Mosley.

I’m a little more leery with Peat because of his age and injuries, but when available he can play. It would depend on his deal.

17 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Did you mean Tippman?

No I meant to write G for Mitchell. Tipp should stay at C. Unless we draft a C and we then have flexibility to move one of that drafted player or Tipp to G. It’s actually a good C class. So I wouldn’t sleep on us drafting a guy in round 3 that could start.

• Upvote 1

The jets need insider deals.  They are not signing the top players.  They won’t come here.  bakhtiari will come but he can’t expect the sweetheart deals AR8’s friends got last year.  We can pay him 500k for every game he plays. 

I'd sign Bakhitiari and Jonah Williams.

• Bakhitiari could be had on a a very cheap incentive-based 1-year deal
  • Jonah could play either LT or RT. Ideal to start him at RT and could take over LT if Bakhitiari doesn't hold up
  • You can take best OT or WR available with the 10th pick. If OT then he can sit and learn behind the 2 free agents and take over when ready or there's an injury

On 2/16/2024 at 11:32 AM, Rich Thornburgh said:

Sign Trent Brown and Kevin Zeitler.  Draft Fashuanu 

and if fashanu is gone, draft fuaga.  i also see the jets adding backhtiari as a depth piece.  so long as he comes with a minimal contact and for only 1 year, it would be a good move. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

and if fashanu is gone, draft fuaga.  i also see the jets adding backhtiari as a depth piece.  so long as he comes with a minimal contact and for only 1 year, it would be a good move. 

And if we sign a mid level guy who can start at OT in the event Backhtiari gets hurts. I’d sign Jonah Williams to start at RT but could also start at LT if Bakhitiari gets hurt and still draft OT in the 1st.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

And if we sign a mid level guy who can start at OT in the event Backhtiari gets hurts. I’d sign Jonah Williams to start at RT but could also start at LT if Bakhitiari gets hurt and still draft OT in the 1st.

good plan for sure.  i think we can all agree that jd needs to add quality at OT and G.  if we see them go into 2024 without three new good starters on the line, he deserves to be fired before game one kickoff

5 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

good plan for sure.  i think we can all agree that jd needs to add quality at OT and G.  if we see them go into 2024 without three new good starters on the line, he deserves to be fired before game one kickoff

Right and for the cost savings you’ll get from cutting Laken you could sign to midrange guards to replace him with.

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Right and for the cost savings you’ll get from cutting Laken you could sign to midrange guards to replace him with.

yeah... laken has to go. they also need to clear out other money on defensive roster to afford the new manpower on the offensive line and wr.  they need to get mosley and jfm to take pay cuts.  it will be very interesting to see how those players respond to the request we know jd has to ask them.  huff is gone, though.  they wont tag and trade.  does not make ideal sense.  and jd drafted mac to be his replacement.  what i see happening is the money just being pushed off until 2025. it is all-in do or die time for the current regime. they dont care about wrecking the budget for 2025

• Upvote 1

On 2/18/2024 at 9:12 AM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'd bring back Becton on a one year "bridge" deal (bridge to finding a real LT) and sign at least one more.

Warren and Mitchell are the backups.  Hopefully they're spending the offseason in the PED lab.   

This works out perfectly because if you want to bring back Becton, I have a bridge to sell you!  :)

this is a really deep class of offensive linemen like maybe the deepest for 5 years

the Jets could fix the line with one good draft, rd1, rd3 and maybe rd 5 and be set up for the next decade 

they could do something like Olu Fashanu at 10, Patrick Paul in rd 3 and Elijah Klein or Zac Zinter on Day 3 , sign one vet like Trent Brown, Onwenu or David Bakh and be all set 

whether they have the scouting chops actually to pull this off is another thing entirely 

but if there was ever a year to fix the OL with one draft, this is it 

most likely we will be watching Carter Warren and Max Mitchell getting real snaps again, with Zach under center, and wonder "what the F happened"

but if JD can move off his already wasted picks and roll the dice again this is a class full of starters 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this is a really deep class of offensive linemen like maybe the deepest for 5 years

the Jets could fix the line with one good draft, rd1, rd3 and maybe rd 5 and be set up for the next decade 

they could do something like Olu Fashanu at 10, Patrick Paul in rd 3 and Elijah Klein or Zac Zinter on Day 3 , sign one vet like Trent Brown, Onwenu or David Bakh and be all set 

whether they have the scouting chops actually to pull this off is another thing entirely 

but if there was ever a year to fix the OL with one draft, this is it 

most likely we will be watching Carter Warren and Max Mitchell getting real snaps again, with Zach under center, and wonder "what the F happened"

but if JD can move off his already wasted picks and roll the dice again this is a class full of starters 

I think the WR will be tempting in Rd 1.  Maybe WR in Rd1, FA T, and the rest of the picks OL.  

1 minute ago, varjet said:

I think the WR will be tempting in Rd 1.  Maybe WR in Rd1, FA T, and the rest of the picks OL.  

other teams do it but this crew probably can't find a starting LT without using the 10 pick on the spot 

WR at least has a baby pipeline with Brownlee and Gipson 

the OL "pipeline" is trash 

9 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Draft a qb if the top 2 tackles are gone.  That guy is a right tackle.

And hard pass on Bakhtiari

They need a RT also.  Badly.  And he looks to be a good one.  And why pass on Bakhtiari if he is a short term economical contract ??? As for the QB... If they find a diamond in the rough in the later rounds, why not.  But not earl on.  No way.  Rodgers is their guy for now.  They paid all that money.  He's it