Saleh not expected to attend scouting combine ***UPDATE- may be attending now****

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

It’s strange for sure. It’s like Saleh skipped over the grind of a young HC and went right to making his own schedule. He put the golf addiction out there for everyone to see, so it’s not out of bounds to bring it up. 

For a young HC- things like the combine and the senior bowl are the fun parts of the job you would think. 

Very strange for a number of reasons. If I was on the hot seat, I'd be at any "industry conference" I was invited to just to rub elbows with decision-makers at other organizations.

I don't think Saleh will be in the NFL much longer. He strikes me as a guy who will use his resumè to dupe some mid-level college program into giving him 10 years to meddle in mediocrity while he collects $50 million to put his seven kids through college.

Winning is a priority, it's just not a priority that is ahead of his daily workouts, golf game, family, and group chats with Joe Benigno. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Coaches are not scouts 

Fun fact 

They often do a sh*t job of scouting like mangini and the boar hunter Rex and taj Boyd and Bill belly's entire drafting career 

Fun fact.  If you care about your job you take an interest in doing anything that might help you keep it when you're on the verge of losing it.

• Post of the Week 3

8 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Very strange for a number of reasons. If I was on the hot seat, I'd be at any "industry conference" I was invited to just to rub elbows with decision-makers at other organizations.

I don't think Saleh will be in the NFL much longer. He strikes me as a guy who will use his resumè to dupe some mid-level college program into giving him 10 years to meddle in mediocrity while he collects $50 million to put his seven kids through college.

Winning is a priority, it's just not a priority that is ahead of his daily workouts, golf game, family, and group chats with Joe Benigno. 

I think he’s eyeing a TV job. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Fun fact.  If you care about your job you take an interest in doing anything that might help you keep it when you're on the verge of losing it.

Also a coach who doesn't care about what kind of players he may be getting is about as good as a chef who doesn't know where his ingredients are coming from.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Saleh = Survivor

4Levels.png.4afca8934a009cb77725ce002963ef38.png

You know watching this I thought this might be a guy who prepared stuff because he knew he was going to be on TV, but I still held out hope that he meant what he was saying. He’s been here a while now- what he says and what he does do not seem to align. In all seriousness skipping the offseason stuff is beyond wild for someone presumably in a do or die situation. 

the Cimini question about not looking mad cut deep. Ciminis covered way more Jets games than Saleh has coached, he didn’t just pull that question out of thin air. He sensed it because it’s hard to BS a guy who’s seen it all. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Has anyone considered that jd told saleh not to go?

Maybe let the scouts go and you stay here addressing other needs and get your updates as required

is that at all a possibility?

last I checked saleh reports to jd so I guess the thinking is he told his boss he is not going?

cmon guys

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You know watching this I thought this might be a guy who prepared stuff because he knew he was going to be on TV, but I still held out hope that he meant what he was saying. He’s been here a while now- what he says and what he does do not seem to align. In all seriousness skipping the offseason stuff is beyond wild for someone presumably in a do or die situation. 

the Cimini question about not looking mad cut deep. Ciminis covered way more Jets games than Saleh has coached, he didn’t just pull that question out of thin air. He sensed it because it’s hard to BS a guy who’s seen it all. 

Couldn't agree more. 

I've been saying this for a while now as well.  He talks Navy Seals but then takes no accountability.  Robert Salesman.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Remember that quote Saleh had about looking for players who love football and not love what football gives them? He was telling on himself. I can’t imagine not being present for the senior bowl or combine in a  do or die season. Guys who put together draft boards for fun in their spare time want to be there. 

I love this point.  There are so many football fans who love the game so much, yet the guy who coaches the team is aloof.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

If you're a fraud HC (like Saleh has been through 3 full seasons), why bother with winning when you can just promise you are going to win (LMAO "multiple championships") and that is good enough to get you paid?

Coaches' contracts are fully guaranteed and unlike with players, I have never heard of a legit incentive-laden deal where how much you get paid is contingent on you actually delivering on all your cheap talk.

If I were the owner and Saleh tried spewing that BS at me, I'd say something like this:

"Ok, so you actually believe you can win multiple championships here?"

BS:  "yes, of course.  100%"

"Ok, well if you're that confident, put your money where your mouth is.  Your salary / income will be directly proportional to how many games you win, how many playoff appearances, playoff wins, super bowls, etc."

BS:  "on second thought, I forgot I gots a plane to catch bro..."

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If you're a fraud HC, why bother with winning when you can just promise you are going to win (LMAO "multiple championships") and that is good enough to get you paid?

Coaches' contracts are fully guaranteed and unlike with players, I have never heard of a legit incentive-laden deal where how much you get paid is contingent on you actually delivering.

If I were the owner and Saleh tried spewing that BS at me, I'd say something like this:

"Ok, well if you're that confident, put your money where your mouth is.  Your salary / income will be directly proportional to how many games you win, how many playoff appearances, playoff wins, super bowls, etc."

RobertSaleh-IPleadThe5th.jpg.1fc04c11599e20c8aa45944ee4f569c3.jpg

• Haha 2

On 2/22/2024 at 8:21 AM, MostlyHarmless said:

Non story. Coach didn’t attend last year either. Saleh addressed this a year ago and said he can get more done in Florham Park. He said all coaches do at these things is go out to bars and bars party. 

On 2/22/2024 at 10:16 AM, T0mShane said:

Keep this in mind when Saleh is standing at the podium in December seething at questions at the annual “Why did this/these player(s) quit?” part of the season. 

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Asking coaches to be scouts is like asking doctors to be lawyers 

• WTF? 2

9 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know that I really agree with this or @T0mShane.  My feeling was that they went into 2021 with rookies and used it as a feel about year and expected to decide where they needed help in 2022.  To me it seems like the system works very well on D.  Not sure what they are thinking on O, but apparently they have bought into the QB is everything mantra that is popular around here.  I thought the Shanahan tree was beyond that, but whatever.

Yes, the CB situation in 2021 was kind of a joke.  I think that they did see the D as not needing corners, but to the extent you were right about the overconfidence, they seemed to have learned that lesson.  All those guys are not gone.  They started Hall (expiring contract), Echols (still here) and Carter (still here).  They also gave some snaps to guys based on injury - journeyman Sharrod Neasman who Ulbrich had in Atlanta, and Javelin Guidry who was a second year UDFA who didn't make the cut after they added Sauce and Reed, but is back with the team spending last year on IR.  Remember one of the vets they added was Lamarcus Joyner who was ostensibly a safety, but also had experience as a slot corner.

On O, they seem to be consistently scrambling to field an offensive line.  I think some of that was from failing to just take their lumps and giving all that money to Brown.  The QB situation has been a disaster and I do not understand reliving the Favre route with Hackett/Rodgers.  It seems like hitching your wagon to something completely out of control.  Saleh coached with Hackett, so maybe he believes in him, but that also does not inspire confidence.  I don't see them as begging for Flacco in 2021 like @T0mShane (oops, I guess I @'ed him twice.  bad form, but he'll get over it).  I think Flacco was a Douglas guy from Baltimore and I don't imagine that LaFleur wanted any part of him.  Shame they didn't just settle on somebody else and find a better #2 for 2022.

They also seem to scramble at WR which is odd based on the resource allocation.  I get Lazard and Cobb suck and were Rodgers guys, but Mims flame out and then Moore doing similar and shooting his way out of town just seems crazy. 

I kind of feel like I did about Mangini.  I liked where they were headed and they got off course.  I would like them to right the ship, but looking at some of the decisions, like Carter and Hackett, it is hard to see that happening and it makes me feel like they are (to paraphrase Marcellus Wallace) about to spend the rest of their short ass time as Jets coaches in agonizing pain.

They not gone but might as well be since in following off-seasons they paid for FA and used a top 4 pick effectively ending experiment.

They were last in pass defense that 1st season too.

For offense that 1st off season they decided to convert to pure zone blocking scheme knowing they had no players at the time who had played in it and a behemoth LT (6/8 365lbs) who seemingly had a good rookie season in man scheme- so practically 0 experience and not the right body types/personnel  and it showed.  Not sure if you remember that 1st game in Carolina where ZW was planted into the turf approx 9x with a fully healthy line - and he wasn't even running backwards too bad in those games and he actually looked good in his last pre season action  In some of the plays he was planted within 2 secs because the OL didn't know how to handle stunts especially on the left side between AVT and the C.  They didn't get that under control until 4/5 games in approx. but by then damage was done.  I am not going to say that lead to ZW bust because he may have caused some of the issues and confusion and sucked to begin with but the line was bad for sure in the beginning because again they thought they could "coach the heck" out of these there young fellas (Trying to sounds like Saleh)

23 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Asking coaches to be scouts is like asking doctors to be lawyers 

This is quite possibly the worst analogy I've ever seen for anything in my life.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

This is quite possibly the worst analogy I've ever seen for anything in my life.

There are some people who can do both but they are about as rare as JD/MD doubles 

Pointing at Andy Reid like Saleh can do that too if he just tries harder? 

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There are some people who can do both but they are about as rare as JD/MD doubles 

I think Saleh trying harder would be a good start. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think Saleh trying harder would be a good start. 

Look I'm not saying Saleh is amazing or anything but the decisions to draft Zach and trade for Aaron, hire Hackett are way above his pay grade 

But if the rumors are to be believed Saleh wanted to draft a position player instead of Zach so maybe he could be better than Joe at the draft 

16 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

More like doctors to be dentists.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Much cleaner thx and there are dmd who have both degrees 

10 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Mark me down in the "non-story, it's not really the role of a Head Coach anyway" category.

Let the General Manager manage. Let the scouts scout. Let the doctors doctor.

In Soviet Russia, manager is Doctor, Coach is scout, Scout is manager!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

So as Saleh identifies any shortcomings, he should throw in the towel and move on with his life vs perhaps trying to get better at it.  Gotcha.

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Fresh off the Super Bowl…

While those guys were shooting the sh*t over a few brewskis, Saleh was back home approving the release of Laken Tomlinson.  So I ask you: who was doing more to improve their team?

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t think that photo op was at Augusta.

anyways a list of my controversial takes:

-The Jets HC should attend the senior bowl and the combine. Face to face time with players, networking with other NfL employees is an important part of the job, especially for new/young coaches.

-The Jets are not in a position to cancel mini camp practices until they start winning consistently and they have veterans who know how to police things themselves. Also, every slotted padded practice should be utilized. Not shells, full pads. See Andy Reid’s philosophy here. Shells and shorts can come when you start winning.

- Young players need preseason reps, regardless if they are slated to start. 

- The GM shouldn’t be hidden from the fanbase. A clear person who’s in charge should be evident.

- The second overall pick and starting QB on a rookie contract  should enmesh himself in the city/place he was drafted by and not take off during bye weeks. Especially since he spent his entire college career in his backyard as essentially a commuter. My hope with the next QB who’s drafted these expectations are clear. 

It was Masters week

And you’re just repeating yourself.  I told you I believe GMs and scouts scout while coaches coach.  Listing whatever he will miss means nothing to me.  

Back to claiming the Jets dont go in pads the maximum allotted number of practices.  And that mini camp, where players don’t even get on the field, aren’t allowed to practice has to happen. 
Im going to say it one more time while you have nothing that says otherwise, ZW was here all year long.  And no, not one single top 5 QB has to stay at the facility all by himself because a fan thinks that he should during his teams bye week.  No one was there, don’t you get it?  You can’t practice by yourself.  14 days between games and in your world while missing absolutely nothing he couldn’t take a couple of days to be with family.  
When was he a commuter in college?  How he did in college has what exactly to do with a NFL career? 

And now the best one.  When was JD hidden?  How?  Who doesn’t know who’s in charge, who’s the GM?  LOL, too funny.