Saleh not expected to attend scouting combine ***UPDATE- may be attending now****

13 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Woody Johnson has never shelled out top dollar for a head coach. Challenge me on this, and I'm all ears. But answer me this - who was the last head coach under Woody's tenure to crack the top 15-20 in salary? Here's a hint: you won't find names like Robert Saleh, Adam Gase, Todd Bowles, Rex Ryan, Eric Mangini, Herman Edwards, or Al Groh on that list.

So, where's the 'big fish'? When has Woody ever opened the wallet for a head coach?

And it's not just about who he's hired. Let's talk about who's even been willing to entertain a conversation. The coaching elite - Bill Cowher, Bill Belichick, Sean Payton, Jon Gruden, Jim Harbaugh, Andy Reid, Pete Carroll - at various points over the last two decades, all potentially in the mix, yet Woody couldn't even get them to pick up the phone.

Why? The answer is glaringly obvious: he's cheap. It's a well-known fact, a reputation Woody has crafted for himself among the coaching circles. It's why there's no dialogue, no negotiation, no chance. Woody's reluctance to invest in top-tier coaching talent is not just a pattern; it's a proven fact, with no evidence to the contrary. The question remains - when will this change?

Woody isn’t paying top dollar for head coaches because none of the prominent guys would ever want to work for him

• Upvote 2

On 2/23/2024 at 2:48 PM, T0mShane said:

Good convo, but two things:

1. It’s absolutely part of his job to deal with the mongrels and address the public perception of the team. A large part of the reason he was hired was because he was this high-energy, fist-pumping, charismatic figure in San Francisco that was going to be the marketable forward face of a moribund post-Gase, post-Bowles rebuild. His personality and aesthetic is an asset that he should appeal to. The Jets vibes are catastrophic right now, and I’m surprised Woody isn’t pushing him out in front of the cameras more.

2. The difference with guys like Macdonald, McVay, etc is that none of those guys are as close to losing their jobs the way Saleh is. I get that he has to win to keep the job in any case, but he also has to lead from the front. I get that grabbing a podium at the Combine isn’t going to be the determining factor in the W/L this fall, but nothing he accomplishes in his office next week will either. 

While thats true, its about time well spent.  Once the draft comes I'm sure he'll be doing a media circuit. Hell he can even do calls from the office over air for the week, he doesnt NEEED to be at the combine. 

To me its really just a non issue.  It's about how this team performs and if it can make the playoffs.  If him staying at florham park in his mind is more beneficial to that outcome and he feels like his time will be better served there then thats what I want my head coach who is on the hot seat doing.  It's up to him to figure it out, if he can't no matter what the dude is out on his ass.  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Perhaps I'm just old-school, but could Saleh's general disinterest in everything related to his head coaching duties be a cause for concern?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It’s strange for sure. It’s like Saleh skipped over the grind of a young HC and went right to making his own schedule. He put the golf addiction out there for everyone to see, so it’s not out of bounds to bring it up. 

For a young HC- things like the combine and the senior bowl are the fun parts of the job you would think. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Look at what you fools have done. Got the PR team forcing Saleh to go and make an appearance. Wasting this man’s time.

Wow. I thought the same thing, it’s like when I was outside for waiting for my kids to finish Karate classes in my car as I listened to two Dads smoking cigarettes outside discussing how the good  Dads showed up! Felt compelled to try myself, but smoking never my thing, 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Combine status update - very important:

I guess Marvin Harrison Jr. didn’t get the memo.

Receivers have opted out of the combine forever now. It’s not about the top 5 and it never has been. If Harrison wants to skip, maybe one team sees it as a flag, but he’ll still go top 8 likely regardless. 

Saleh not wanting to interrupt his leisure time- when 1. He’s a young HC trying to find his way, 2. He’s gotta win this year or else. The rationale is pure arrogance. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Receivers have opted out of the combine forever now. It’s not about the top 5 and it never has been. If Harrison wants to skip, maybe one team sees it as a flag, but he’ll still go top 8 likely regardless. 

Saleh not wanting to interrupt his leisure time- when 1. He’s a young HC trying to find his way, 2. He’s gotta win this year or else. The rationale is pure arrogance. 

This post does nothing except move the goalposts in order to protect a ridiculous narrative.  Be better than saying “…ackshully.”

The combine is a joke and may not exist (in it’s current form) in the future because everyone in the sport knows it’s a joke.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

This is a long winded post to move the goalposts in order to protect a ridiculous narrative.  Be better.

The combine is a joke and may not exist (in its current form) in the future because everyone in the sport knows it’s a joke.

Saleh skipped the Senior Bowl too. At what point are we going to get to winning not mattering either? Or are we already there?

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This post does nothing except move the goalposts in order to protect a ridiculous narrative.  Be better than saying “…ackshully.”

The combine is a joke and may not exist (in it’s current form) in the future because everyone in the sport knows it’s a joke.

You just nailed it. Either discontinue it because it is a joke or change the format completely. 

Forget the silly drills and have it more of a structured convention for teams to to meet with players, maybe some classroom session reviews involving scheme, technique, etc. to large groups of players. But even then, it seems very silly. 

• Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Saleh skipped the Senior Bowl too. At what point are we going to get to winning not mattering either? Or are we already there?

Probably because his right hand man was there coaching the dang thing but I will, at the very least, concede that the Senior Bowl is much more important so I would have like to have heard that he was there for that.  

That being said, given the intimate presence of our staff, it’s not a big deal.

13 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

You just nailed it. Either discontinue it because it is a joke or change the format completely. 

Forget the silly drills and have it more of a structured convention for teams to to meet with players, maybe some classroom session reviews involving scheme, technique, etc. to large groups of players. But even then, it seems very silly. 

The combine gets big TV ratings. It’s not going to be cancelled. It’s too much of a showcase for guys the public doesn’t know much about. Mahomes did every drill and threw at the combine. Purdy did it all. Stroud threw last year. Not participating is a flag if you benchmark it against the stars that all did. Darnold if you recall did not throw at the combine. Neither did Bryce Young. 

29 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

But yet 9 pages of you killing Saleh for sorting out like other HCs have.

9 pages of you and a couple of posters just moaning the same lines over and over again.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

^^^Will be changing his tune when Saleh is at the Combine on Wednesday^^^

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The combine gets big TV ratings. It’s not going to be cancelled. It’s too much of a showcase for guys the public doesn’t know much about. Mahomes did every drill and threw at the combine. Purdy did it all. Stroud threw last year. Not participating is a flag if you benchmark it against the stars that all did. Darnold if you recall did not throw at the combine. Neither did Bryce Young. 

It would certainly raise a red flag for me if a guy who is going to make his living throwing a football didn’t want to do it at the combine.

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If the Jets signed Neil Odonell to be their 2024 opening day starter you’d be here defending it. 

And the Jets traded for Rodgers to be their opening day starter and you bitched. 
None of which explains your whining for 9 pages, whining hes golfing this winter whatever.  Just you know he’s not doing anything team related.  
That I don’t type all my complaints out all day doesn’t make your argument smart

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

And the Jets traded for Rodgers and you bitched. 
None of which explains your whining for 9 pages, whining he golfing this winter whatever.  
What don’t you bitch about.  That I don’t type all my complaints out all day doesn’t make your argument smart

I don’t think I bitched about that. I was fine with the Rodgers deal. I pointed out Salehs a big golf guy, because he did an expose with Cannizzaro about it. When you see him skipping offseason events when those types of stories are out there, you wonder where his priorities are. It’s a fair question. The NfL offseason is not much. There are a few events you pencil in, especially when you’re cutting your teeth as a coach. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t know. If it were me and I knew my GM was drafting me a tackle that could make or break the season, I’d probably want to be on site to see those tackles myself considering my GM’s track record with drafting extremely bad tackles. 

At the very least you would want to see his ankles up close - no?

sorry referring to a thread a year or so ago about tackles and the size of their ankles

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t think I bitched about that. I was fine with the Rodgers deal. I pointed out Salehs a big golf guy, because he did an expose with Cannizzaro about it. When you see him skipping offseason events when those types of stories are out there, you wonder where his priorities are. It’s a fair question. The NfL offseason is not much. There are a few events you pencil in, especially when you’re cutting your teeth as a coach. 

Because he got an invite to play Augusta last year.  I’d run for that opportunity to play that incredible course and post a shltty score.  Doesn’t make him an avid golfer or a HC not doing his job.  
I’ll leave with the age old line.  GM’s scout and HCs coach.  Maybe he goes, shouldn’t make a difference. 

Where us he golfing?

certainly not jersey 

he has 7 kids all school age so are we to believe he told his wife that he is going to a warmer climate for a few days to play golf and she was fine with that?

don’t worry honey, I’ll manage getting the kids to school etc while you are in 70 degree weather working n your swing

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Breer was wrong. Harrison will be there to meet with teams. 

Something he could still do outside of the combine, which is why I don’t believe the combine, in its current form, exists in 20 years.

If the draft didn’t become profitable for the NFL to market or televise draft related events, it probably would have happened a long time ago.

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

^^^Will be changing his tune when Saleh is at the Combine on Wednesday^^^

You will probably know whether or not he shows up well before me.  I only watch the thing because during this time of year, the Knicks usually make me want to commit seppuku.

*JK; gonna selfishly whore myself out and try to hit the algorithm with a new episode of my podcast this week*

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Did he "LET" Douglas stick him with zero veteran help?

Back in his 1st off-season/training camp Saleh was asked at presser why they didn't bring in some veteran help for CB since they were going into that season with a bunch of rookies and Hall (only Carter remains).  Saleh responded by dismissing the idea (paraphrasing) saying they didn't need the help (even tho there were a few viable options available still in FA) and then went into this long explanation of the differences about how there is little differences in Player A and Player B in NFL except for opportunity, blah blah blah....That whole exchange didn't lead me to believe this was coming from Douglas but rather over confidence in the coaches ability to take a bunch of players with 0 experience and turn them into and NFL team. 

IMO this coaching staff came in cocky with overconfidence thinking they were the stars and can make it work with any players only to find later they were way in over their head.

I don't know that I really agree with this or @T0mShane.  My feeling was that they went into 2021 with rookies and used it as a feel about year and expected to decide where they needed help in 2022.  To me it seems like the system works very well on D.  Not sure what they are thinking on O, but apparently they have bought into the QB is everything mantra that is popular around here.  I thought the Shanahan tree was beyond that, but whatever.

Yes, the CB situation in 2021 was kind of a joke.  I think that they did see the D as not needing corners, but to the extent you were right about the overconfidence, they seemed to have learned that lesson.  All those guys are not gone.  They started Hall (expiring contract), Echols (still here) and Carter (still here).  They also gave some snaps to guys based on injury - journeyman Sharrod Neasman who Ulbrich had in Atlanta, and Javelin Guidry who was a second year UDFA who didn't make the cut after they added Sauce and Reed, but is back with the team spending last year on IR.  Remember one of the vets they added was Lamarcus Joyner who was ostensibly a safety, but also had experience as a slot corner.

On O, they seem to be consistently scrambling to field an offensive line.  I think some of that was from failing to just take their lumps and giving all that money to Brown.  The QB situation has been a disaster and I do not understand reliving the Favre route with Hackett/Rodgers.  It seems like hitching your wagon to something completely out of control.  Saleh coached with Hackett, so maybe he believes in him, but that also does not inspire confidence.  I don't see them as begging for Flacco in 2021 like @T0mShane (oops, I guess I @'ed him twice.  bad form, but he'll get over it).  I think Flacco was a Douglas guy from Baltimore and I don't imagine that LaFleur wanted any part of him.  Shame they didn't just settle on somebody else and find a better #2 for 2022.

They also seem to scramble at WR which is odd based on the resource allocation.  I get Lazard and Cobb suck and were Rodgers guys, but Mims flame out and then Moore doing similar and shooting his way out of town just seems crazy. 

I kind of feel like I did about Mangini.  I liked where they were headed and they got off course.  I would like them to right the ship, but looking at some of the decisions, like Carter and Hackett, it is hard to see that happening and it makes me feel like they are (to paraphrase Marcellus Wallace) about to spend the rest of their short ass time as Jets coaches in agonizing pain.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Wow. I thought the same thing, it’s like when I was outside for waiting for my kids to finish Karate classes in my car as I listened to two Dads smoking cigarettes outside discussing how the good  Dads showed up! Felt compelled to try myself, but smoking never my thing, 

Whenever my kids are coached by someone else, I do NOT hover or make myself noticeable because I know that my kids would be looking at me for approval or disapproval, and I didn't want to influence how the coach (who I was paying for his expertise in whatever it is) coaches the boys.

But that's only AFTER I meet the coach in person and interview him to make sure hes a good fit and I get a feel for him or her... 

So, yes and no. 😆 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Something he could still do outside of the combine, which is why I don’t believe the combine, in its current form, exists in 20 years.

If the draft didn’t become profitable for the NFL to market or televise draft related events, it probably would have happened a long time ago.

You will probably know whether or not he shows up well before me.  I only watch the thing because during this time of year, the Knicks usually make me want to commit seppuku.

*JK; gonna selfishly whore myself out and try to hit the algorithm with a new episode of my podcast this week*

I’m a Nets fan who gets relentless text updates about Ben Simmons’ injury status. All I have going for me right now is getting Woody to fire Saleh. 

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The NFL needs activities to market through the spring even if they are of no particular meaning to teams and players. The drills make good video for sports media and reposting online, so there's a strong incentive to keep that part of the combine. If anything, the NFL will probably find something to add in the spring to garner more attention.

• Upvote 1

So did the fanbase just virtually bully Woody into making Saleh go to the combine? This is after we forcibly made the Jets change their uniforms to the Sack Exchange ones.

Because if that's what's happening we really need to start banding together and picking our own stadium + GM + HC + coordinators + players.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m a Nets fan who gets relentless text updates about Ben Simmons’ injury status. All I have going for me right now is getting Woody to fire Saleh. 

Sounds like you should come on the pod to discuss.  The sexual tension would be palpable, if not DELECTABLE.

• Haha 1