Tee Higgins get tagged

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All the time, Smash?

Last year the best young WR to get signed as a UFA was Jakobi Meyers to be the Raiders WR2.

The year before that it was Christian Kirk.  Solid, but not exactly a star.  Russell Gage had some measure of expectations but ended up a bust in Tampa Bay.

In 2021 it was nobody.  Kenny Golladay got $72M to do absolutely nothing with the Giants.  And we don’t need to talk about Corey Davis.

And in 2020 the best young WR on the open market was…the artist formerly known as Robbie Anderson.  

Actually, Robbie was merely the biggest name on the open market in ‘20.  The actual best WR FA that year was Demarcus Robinson.  @Paradis

you mention 4 years Im talking historical. Also there are years like the last 4 not muxh is happening on the WR market other than maybe Tyreek Hill. I thnk the last 2 superstar WR's that were moved were Hill and Diggs

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

you mention 4 years Im talking historical. Also there are years like the last 4 not muxh is happening on the WR market other than maybe Tyreek Hill. I thnk the last 2 superstar WR's that were moved were Hill and Diggs

Diggs, Hill, Cooper, Davante all big names on move 

54 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

A guy like Ridley has 1-2 seasons left in the tank which lines up pretty well with AR.  He won’t break the bank. 

I’d take Evans over him who’s only a year older which is hard to believe. But at same time I’d be happy with Ridley also. 

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Both of those WRs were traded.  I'm talking about open market - I.E. free agents available to anyone to sign.

And the last 4 years isn't enough "history" for you?  lmao.  Maybe name a few for me then if there's so much history of quality young WR's ending up UFAs? 

2019 the best was Jamison Crowder.  2018 were Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkins.  Have to go all the way back to 2017 to finally find a quality one - 27 year old Alshon Jeffery.  And even then he signed a 1-year "show me" deal with Philly because he couldn't stay healthy.  2016 the best was Marvin Jones.

Should I keep going?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, section314 said:

👍all good and fair points. Two things we have in our favor is obviously AR and the uncertainty of the TB QB situation. Baker is FA I believe.

Baker aint going nowhere. In fact, he was asked where Russell Wilson would end up and he practically laughed his azz off. He's very secure at Tampa Bay and is holding all the cards there. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Finally found a good one for ya, @Smashmouth!  2015:  Jeremy Maclin in his age 27 season signed with the Chiefs to a 4-year deal.  

So you have to go back 9 years to find ONE legitimately top-end quality young WR who hit the open market as a UFA.  

First off letting really good to great players hit the open market is just bad GMing letting top 5 or even top 10 WR's go either way via trade or FA is bad but FA is just dumb.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

First off letting really good to great players hit the open market is just bad GMing letting top 5 or even top 10 WR's go either way via trade or FA is bad but FA is just dumb.  

Yes.  And yet you said it happens “all the time”, lol.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bruh.

Ok I get what your saying but IMHO trading away great players is also a bad option and there are tag and trade situations as well to avoid getting nothing for a player going UFA. Lots of variables for sure. 

But if you are talking purely FA yes the numbers are less with that I agree

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Ridley to me is a HUGE risk

To start with he is a feast or famine player, big games or he disappears.

A bigger concern is that he has been out for lengthy times in his career due to non football reasons.  (The gambling suspension and his mental health break either which could crop up in a second and make him not available.)

Lazard is a dog who stinks and was a horrible signing.

We need to sign a more reliable vet WR and draft at least two.

His best games were when Zay jones was  on the field last year. It was odd. When Zay jones was unavailable, Christian kirk played a ton more on the outside and became the primary WR target. When Zay was available, Kirk moved more into the slot and Ridley became much more effective. What does that mean? I’m not sure but it’s a huge difference. 

stats with Zay jones: 

9 games, 48 catches for 671 and 5 TDS 

without Zay jones:

8 games, 28 catches for 345 and 3 TDs

31 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Ok I get what your saying but IMHO trading away great players is also a bad option and there are tag and trade situations as well to avoid getting nothing for a player going UFA. Lots of variables for sure. 

But if you are talking purely FA yes the numbers are less with that I agree

damon wayans riggs and murtaugh GIF by Lethal Weapon

24 minutes ago, extmenace said:

His best games were when Zay jones was  on the field last year. It was odd. When Zay jones was unavailable, Christian kirk played a ton more on the outside and became the primary WR target. When Zay was available, Kirk moved more into the slot and Ridley became much more effective. What does that mean? I’m not sure but it’s a huge difference. 

stats with Zay jones: 

9 games, 48 catches for 671 and 5 TDS 

without Zay jones:

8 games, 28 catches for 345 and 3 TDs

It means we need to trade for Zay Jones too.  lol.

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2024 at 11:52 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah that’s what we want.  For the Jets to suck into perpetuity.

This argument pisses me the f**k off every time.  The Jets made us miserable in the sports fandom box of our lives.  We didn’t want this.  We just don’t leave because we’re loyal and stupid.  Not masochists.  Except @Lurker89.

I like what I like.

s&m pain GIF by David Firth

• Haha 3

On 2/24/2024 at 8:13 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Finally found a good one for ya, @Smashmouth!  2015:  Jeremy Maclin in his age 27 season signed with the Chiefs to a 4-year deal.  

So you have to go back 9 years to find ONE legitimately top-end quality young WR who hit the open market as a UFA.  

Jets had a good one too.  That handsome devil, Eric Decker.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say Maclin didnt have back to back 80+, 1000+, 10+ before hitting the open market. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/24/2024 at 7:14 PM, Rhg1084 said:

I’d take Evans over him who’s only a year older which is hard to believe. But at same time I’d be happy with Ridley also. 

Evans will not leave TB for the reasons I mentioned last week. AR or no AR! We will only be used as a negotiating tool.

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Evans will not leave TB for the reasons I mentioned last week. AR or no AR! We will only be used as a negotiating tool.

100%

Guy has played his entire career in Tampa and coming off a great year that ended in the playoffs. This is an old fashioned stare down and we would just be used for leverage in it.

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

Jets had a good one too.  That handsome devil, Eric Decker.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say Maclin didnt have back to back 80+, 1000+, 10+ before hitting the open market. 

Yep.  So the last time any quality young FA WRs were allowed to sign elsewhere on their 2nd contracts were the 2014 and '15 offseasons (Decker and Maclin).  About a decade ago.

Yet in Smash's mind this happens all the time.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  So the last time any quality young FA WRs were allowed to sign elsewhere on their 2nd contracts were the 2014 and '15 offseasons (Decker and Maclin).  About a decade ago.

Yet in Smash's mind this happens all the time.

High end young WRs move more so via trade then FA, the examples are endless.  In addition to the endless examples of WR who are on the "trade market" shortly before they sign long term see; Debo as a recent example.  Now Jefferson.  It's the older veterans who hit the market, the 30+ guys, like Mike Evans, Adams, Thielen, etc. as recent examples.

Like, everyone hates Lazard around here but he was widely considered the best FA WR last offseason because he was young player w/ his career ascending.  In retro it was probably but Jakobi Meyers but still, the year before, it was who, Christian Kirk?, year before it was Kenny Galloday or maybe it was Corey Davis?  So that's about the level WR you see hit the open market these days. 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

He’s got a ton of mileage on him

Still a top tier WR and will be for several years.  Excellent compliment to Garrett Wilson.

What in the world would you want instead (that's available)?  You want a rookie who will likely take 2 yrs to develop just in time for Aaron Rodgers retirement?  Are u crazy?  The Jets need an established veteran like Evans to pair with Wilson in Rodgers last remaining breaths in the NFL.  

2 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Injury prone with a hot wife.  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

High end young WRs move more so via trade then FA, the examples are endless.  In addition to the endless examples of WR who are on the "trade market" shortly before they sign long term see; Debo as a recent example.  Now Jefferson.  It's the older veterans who hit the market, the 30+ guys, like Mike Evans, Adams, Thielen, etc. as recent examples.

Like, everyone hates Lazard around here but he was widely considered the best FA WR last offseason because he was young player w/ his career ascending.  In retro it was probably but Jakobi Meyers but still, the year before, it was who, Christian Kirk?, year before it was Kenny Galloday or maybe it was Corey Davis?  So that's about the level WR you see hit the open market these days. 

Exactly.  And while there are weird cases where WRs get traded for a lot less than expected (think DeAndre Hopkins) you're usually paying a premium in a trade.  Teams really don't let young elite/high end WRs go without a fight.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Dcat said:

Still a top tier WR and will be for several years.  Excellent compliment to Garrett Wilson.

What in the world would you want instead (that's available)?  You want a rookie who will likely take 2 yrs to develop just in time for Aaron Rodgers retirement?  Are u crazy?  The Jets need an established veteran like Evans to pair with Wilson in Rodgers last remaining breaths in the NFL.  

No he’s not someone you give a 5 year contract to

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

No he’s not someone you give a 5 year contract to

Your approach will leave Garrett Wilson as the ONLY viable receiver.  Need another vet for Rodgers.  A good one.  Not Lazard.  Not a rookie.  You couldn't be more wrong about what's needed for the next 2 years.