If Brock Bowers falls, do we take him?

6 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:
Bowers to the right team will be tremendous, to the wrong team he will disappoint.
The team will have to have a plan for him and feature him and make sure he and the QB have some freedom (Mahomes, kelce)
I have less than zero confidence that our offensive bozos will know what to do with him

So don't draft any offensive players. Got it!

I'm not saying that.  I'm saying that if you draft him he will be good for the next regime after we can hackett who is clueless.

A weapon TE/HB you have to have a legit plan for unlike just drafting the next WR or oline you plug in.  Bowers is a unicorn player, you have to treat him as such.

But feel free to make another total dumbass statement if you like.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I'm not saying that.  I'm saying that if you draft him he will be good for the next regime after we can hackett who is clueless.
A weapon TE/HB you have to have a legit plan for unlike just drafting the next WR or oline you plug in.  Bowers is a unicorn player, you have to treat him as such.
But feel free to make another total dumbass statement if you like.
That's a personal attack!!! Mods! Mods!

Bowers or someone like Odunze would be fun picks, and I’m a QB/weaponzz guy, but I’m dying laughing reading posts all over this forum from guys who scream “OL! OL!” all year suddenly begging for the Jets to draft a TE at 10.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Bowers would be a luxury pick. Meanwhile, the Jets are trying to stock the shelves in a Soviet Era government grocery store. 

In Soviet Russia,  meat bites YOU!

Not sure he'd be a luxury pick.  I don't follow college very closely but, from the hype, it sounds like he could be a real weapon (e.g. a Travis Kelce type), which is something we badly need opposite GW.

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Why did we draft Ruckert again? Sheesh

Dude was a 3rd round pick who never had more than 300 yards receiving in a single year at a school that historically neglects the TE position.

Ruckert looks like he has the chops as an inline blocker, but expecting him to become anything more than a solid compliment at the position or a largely average starter is wishful thinking.

If the Jets add a couple of FA OL and a dude like Evans at wideout, then I’m scratching my head as to why Bowers would be such a crazy pick at #10.

To hell with him playing a perceivably “non-premium” position. The dude is right up there with Harrison Jr. as the premier offensive playmaker in this class.

Ultimately I think the discussion is pointless, Bowers goes Top 8 and the Jets take a guy like Fashanu or Fuaga at #10.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Brock Bowers has morphed into a combo of Kelce/Kittles within a week of message boarding.

He’s always been that

The dude is quite possibly the best TE prospect to ever come out.

Sure, he’s not 6’6 265 and looks like he was made in a lab, but he does literally everything at if not a high level, a transcendent level.

He snatches everything within his vicinity and is insanely dangerous after the catch. He also consistently blocks his t!ts off both inline and on the move despite his lack of prototypical size for the position.

Again, I fully expect the Jets to address the OL and find a running mate opposite Wilson before the draft even rolls around. Douglas and Saleh’s collective assh0les are melded to the seat at this point. Anyone who assumes they’re thinking about 3+ years down the line…get the hell out of here.

The next 2 years are all about maximizing the current young core before Rodgers rides off into the sunset and we’re left with the next inevitable charade at QB.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Except Pitts is virtually incapable of playing inline.

He’s literally an oversized slot receiver.

Bowers gladly does all of the dirty work and is one of the most dangerous YAC threats anyone has seen in recent memory. If you can pair that with Breece and Wilson, solidify the OL and bring in another legitimate wideout…then there’s no reason this team shouldn’t make a deep playoff run with a healthy Rodgers. Regardless of your feelings about Saleh as a HC.

You know what it is tho. Ppl get enamored with size and athletic traits and it's about instincts, and feel more than anything. Pitts was a great athlete playing wr basically. But you can tell from his scouting profile that he was still very raw. 

I hate the combine because either you can ball or you can't. Idc how fast your 40 is. 

Now if you get the instincts with the physical traits that is where you can get a special player, especially if they love football. Bowers checks every box

• Upvote 3

On 2/29/2024 at 1:28 AM, Jdeet said:

Obviously we have it set in stone that we are picking an OT at 10. Nearly every mock draft seemed to be leading us in that direction. But, I am seeing Brock Bowers fall to us lately, including Mel Kiper’s latest mock.

i personally feel like we can get enough offensive line help in free agency and later in the draft, to allow us to get a unique playmaker like Bowers. He compares to George Kittle with a championship college career and is a superb talent. It would obviously make Aaron Rodgers happy and give a dynamic to our offense that we have really never had. (And to follow that up, wouldn’t be shocked to see us draft WR Ladd McConkey from Georgia, as well, later on day 2)

Is Brock Bowers an acceptable pick, Jets fans, or will this cause a revolt? This might have been brought up previously, but I haven’t been around much. 

I think it's entirely possible they go Bowers. They had Mayer high on their draft board last year apparently. It all depends on how they view AVT, is he a true wild card to play any of the OL positions. It will be far cheaper to bring in IOL free agents, not to mention the OT class in FA isn't great. There are 2 OTs that the Jets should consider trading for in the coming days:

Garett Bolles (32) - 1 Year $16m

Cam Robinson (29) - 1 Year $17.7m

I don't think either guy would be more than a mid round pick, they are likely salary cap cuts anyway. Agree to a new contract extension and drop that cap hit for the next 2 years. Maybe the Jets like Warren's potential at RT but would also be fine having AVT play over there if Warren isn't ready yet. That to me would be the path to drafting a weapon at 10. I do think MHJ, Nabers, and Odunze are all off the board before us. Bowers would give us 3 freak athletes are 3 position groups RB, WR, TE that can attack you from every direction. 

As soon as the tampering period opens, offer Mike Evans 3 years $75m fully guaranteed, go out and win a ring.

• Upvote 1

Bowers is going to teh Chargerts, Next. JD will not mess with this pick.  If Alt is gone (very likely), then Fashanou is the pick. If he is gone, Fugua is the pick. On to round 3.  Safwety Cole Bishop. Round 4 WR Malik Washington, QB Pratt. Have a nice day.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Bowers is going to teh Chargerts, Next. JD will not mess with this pick.  If Alt is gone (very likely), then Fashanou is the pick. If he is gone, Fugua is the pick. On to round 3.  Safwety Cole Bishop. Round 4 WR Malik Washington, QB Pratt. Have a nice day.

I truly hope they don’t draft Fashanou or Fugua. That would be a disaster and, well, impossible. And teh Chargerts won’t take Bowers. I am sure of it. 

If he's that good you grab him and cobble something together on OL in the rest of the draft and FA.  If he's that good.....     I say the hell with it; I'm tired of playing scared/safe.    

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Dude was a 3rd round pick who never had more than 300 yards receiving in a single year at a school that historically neglects the TE position.

Ruckert looks like he has the chops as an inline blocker, but expecting him to become anything more than a solid compliment at the position or a largely average starter is wishful thinking.

If the Jets add a couple of FA OL and a dude like Evans at wideout, then I’m scratching my head as to why Bowers would be such a crazy pick at #10.

To hell with him playing a perceivably “non-premium” position. The dude is right up there with Harrison Jr. as the premier offensive playmaker in this class.

Ultimately I think the discussion is pointless, Bowers goes Top 8 and the Jets take a guy like Fashanu or Fuaga at #10.

Well said, it's a strange thing I've noticed around here lately w/ Jets fans.  I assume it's because we get to see so few during the regulars season but Jets fans dont like players who scored TD's nor do they understand the importance of scoring TD's.   So maybe they dont like Brock because not only did he lead the #1 team in the nation in receptions and yards but he also led them in TD's during his career at UGA.

For the bold, I thought this as well but as you're seeing here in this thread, the famous tear down in the draft process is starting to happen.  Why you ask?  Because of his looks.   That's right.  Not the fact he looked like the most dominant player in college Football on the best team in the country.  Nope.  Because someone pictured him next to Gronk and doesnt like that he's balding.  And then the whole yadayada TE in the 1st thingy, and now there is a real chance IMO he is there at 10.

• Upvote 2

Unless Alt and Olu Fashanu are sitting at 10 you take Bowers after these 2 OTs there is nothing good to take at OT. The rest of the OTs are not a top 10 picks. It be very Jets like to reach for a player just to fill a hole. If you don't want Bowers and are set to take a OT with no Alt or Olu Fashanu available you can trade back thats really your 2 options Bowers or trade back.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Kyle Pitts was a WR at Florida.  Totally different players.

Fun fact though; Mike Ditka and Kyle Pitts are the only 2 rookie TE's to go for 1,000 yards.  That was with a shell of Matt Ryan at QB.  Since then he's been graced by the play of Desmond Riddler, Marcus Mariota, and Taylor Heinicke.  idk, it's almost like context matters in these conversations. 

well then they better move him back to WR because he not playing well at TE.

context does matter, like when i say Saleh isnt a bad coach when you look at a QB room much worst than what you just mentoned Pitts had and still won 7 games. 

Conklin put up about the same numbers but the alarming thing for me is Pitts catch percentage is 58%. Conklin was 70%. in fact most all of the better TEs catch around 70%. 

i know hes a big dude but Mike Evans is 6-5 231. if Pitts could lose 10 pounds he should be fine. 

2 hours ago, doitny said:

well then they better move him back to WR because he not playing well at TE.

context does matter, like when i say Saleh isnt a bad coach when you look at a QB room much worst than what you just mentoned Pitts had and still won 7 games. 

Conklin put up about the same numbers but the alarming thing for me is Pitts catch percentage is 58%. Conklin was 70%. in fact most all of the better TEs catch around 70%. 

i know hes a big dude but Mike Evans is 6-5 231. if Pitts could lose 10 pounds he should be fine. 

I mean, there is so much to go into this but its really not worth it and I think we've done it before.  You watch Conklin, you see how he gets the ball, he barely even runs routes, did he even have a red zone target on the year?  lol  Which again, goes back context. 

Lets try this a different way: What are your thoughts on Drake London? 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, doitny said:

people said that about Kyle Pitts too. 

No pitts was regarded as a great athlete that had very little experience dealing with zones, blocking or anything a traditional TE does. He is basically a wr

Keep in mind Pitts has had nothing at QB yet. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Bowers would be a luxury pick. Meanwhile, the Jets are trying to stock the shelves in a Soviet Era government grocery store. 

In Soviet Russia,  meat bites YOU!

Luxury?  We don’t have a decent TE on the roster and Allen freaking Lazard is our #2 wr

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

No pitts was regarded as a great athlete that had very little experience dealing with zones, blocking or anything a traditional TE does. He is basically a wr

Keep in mind Pitts has had nothing at QB yet. 

Pitts’s quarterbacks give the jets sh thouse at qb a run for its money

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Kyle Pitts was a WR at Florida.  Totally different players.

Fun fact though; Mike Ditka and Kyle Pitts are the only 2 rookie TE's to go for 1,000 yards.  That was with a shell of Matt Ryan at QB.  Since then he's been graced by the play of Desmond Riddler, Marcus Mariota, and Taylor Heinicke.  idk, it's almost like context matters in these conversations. 

Which is why I was surprised Belichick didn’t really want the ATL job.  Literally all they need is a semi decent qb and they easily win that division next year

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Luxury?  We don’t have a decent TE on the roster and Allen freaking Lazard is our #2 wr

Put a 40 year old QB coming off an Achilles injury begind a bunch of scrubs Subway Turnstyles would sneer at in derision, and we could have Rice, Moss, and Gonzalez and it wouldn't make much of a difference. 

On 2/28/2024 at 8:28 PM, Jdeet said:

Obviously we have it set in stone that we are picking an OT at 10. Nearly every mock draft seemed to be leading us in that direction. But, I am seeing Brock Bowers fall to us lately, including Mel Kiper’s latest mock.

i personally feel like we can get enough offensive line help in free agency and later in the draft, to allow us to get a unique playmaker like Bowers. He compares to George Kittle with a championship college career and is a superb talent. It would obviously make Aaron Rodgers happy and give a dynamic to our offense that we have really never had. (And to follow that up, wouldn’t be shocked to see us draft WR Ladd McConkey from Georgia, as well, later on day 2)

Is Brock Bowers an acceptable pick, Jets fans, or will this cause a revolt? This might have been brought up previously, but I haven’t been around much. 

At TE? When we need a other WR badly. No thanks.

We might as well draft another safety or kicker. At ten you either take qb or someone that either protects or hurts a QB. That's it. 

Obviously a little leeway at 10 but not much. I mean you could go rb.

But we need to take a wr at 10. Or trade back to get a couple online men or combo with wr and line.

That's really the only moves that make sense. Unless there is some sauce like talented player at 10 which I do not believe there is. 

You guys going to be the next kelce? Or Andrews sure I guess you could take him but Arron like wr and that would be biggest help other than lineman that can protect him.

• Thumb Down 1

On 3/2/2024 at 1:43 AM, Maynard13 said:

The 2 connections I've found with the Chargers:

- Greg Roman, OC, loves TEs

- DL coach, is from Notre Dame, said years ago that Alt would be a 1st round pick. Now they are in position to take him