Is RB a position the Jets need?

I thought it was a bit concerning that Izzy Abanikanda couldn't get on the field much, supposedly due to poor blocking ability.  Is it reasonable to think he'll improve in that area enough to be a legit player next year?  We certainly need a RB behind Breece to share some of the workload.  If Izzy isn't him then maybe we do need a RB?  We do have 2 4th rounders.

If the need is capability in pass pro, which is reasonable, probably more prudent to address that in the veteran market than bring in a rookie.

Running back is the cheapest way to add home run ability to the roster on offense, so I think they should always try to be opportunistic.

Since Hall is big enough to be the primary back but also a threat to score from anywhere on the field I thunk they should focus on guys who can bring similar explosiveness but might not be able to handle as many snaps. Fresh backup should be able to bring some sizzle too.

Not sure this is the year. But they should explore anyway.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I thought it was a bit concerning that Izzy Abanikanda couldn't get on the field much, supposedly due to poor blocking ability.  Is it reasonable to think he'll improve in that area enough to be a legit player next year?  We certainly need a RB behind Breece to share some of the workload.  If Izzy isn't him then maybe we do need a RB?  We do have 2 4th rounders.

idk, if we can look at the handling of Izzy and make any determinations because the overall handling of the RB position was baffling.  They acquired Cook but used Carter more early, they never really did anything more w/ Cook, even after when they traded Carter, then Hall was having a monster finish to the season.  The one game they gave Izzy a decent amount of carries he played well, so hard to really know.  

It would make sense to sign a cheap effective vet and probably throw a 7th rounder and some UDFA types into camp and battle it out.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

i have been wanting the Jets to draft a guy like this for years.  Maybe not necessarily him (altho I would like that) but a big bruiser type that can get short yardage and catch a pass

Braelon Allen RB Wisconsin
Height: 6 - 1 | Weight: 235 lbs | RAS: N/A

Has elite overall size, and will be just 20 years old as an NFL rookie.

Can easily absorb and bounce off solo hits with his tightly-packed midsection.

High-level goal-line back with his size and mass, and can plow through the trenches.

-Ian Cummings

Sounds good to me.  I'd also like one of those scatback 3rd down type RBs (a Darren Sproles type).  I feel like we never have that guy (at least not a high quality one).

• Upvote 1

I would say "no", not in the draft at least.  Breece is still pretty young.  Izzy is going into year 2.  If anything we need a vet #2 and I wouldn't want to spend any picks on a #4 RB.  Those guys are a dime a dozen in the UDFA market.  

If Izzy doesn't take any strides in 2024 though, I'd be looking to take another in the 2025 draft.

3 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

i have been wanting the Jets to draft a guy like this for years.  Maybe not necessarily him (altho I would like that) but a big bruiser type that can get short yardage and catch a pass

High-level goal-line back with his size and mass, and can plow through the trenches.

-Ian Cummings

I just highlighted him in the Dillon thread. I love Allen and being the size whore than i am XD, i love big backs that can rumble.  

• Upvote 1

Will Shipley is low key disrespected at this point (imo). He is a workhorse who gets yards no matter what. Impossibly so, sometimes. Why his name has been invisible is a head scratcher. I have to assume he's quietly higher on boards than draft media realizes? 

If you were talking about a complete package to compliment Breece, i'm all about Shipley. 

Jim Nagy @JimNagy_SB
Confirmed attendee list for today's Georgia pro-day. All 32 NFL clubs represented. Steelers and Titans have both HC and GM, as well as Raiders HC Antonio Pierce.  

Here's position coach breakdown:

OC- Panthers, Bengals, Steelers
DC- Steelers
WR- Patriots, Cowboys, Panthers
RB- Bengals, Jets
OL- Bears, Patriots
DL- Bengals
DB- Cowboys, Jets, Giants, Patriots, Bengals

On 3/8/2024 at 7:57 AM, SickJetFan said:

-Ian Cummings

I’m good with any RBs or OL from Wisconsin.

It’s what they do.

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2024 at 7:57 AM, SickJetFan said:

-Ian Cummings

I like Braelon Allen. I feel like a powerful back is something we've lacked since the Ivory days. But, I don't think Allen combined with Izzy are  equipped to spell Breece Hall if Hall gets injured. So, I'd prefer Wil Shipley, who would immediately be the best receiving back  on the team. If Hall goes down, I do think an Izzy/Shipley combination would fill  the void far better than Izzy/Allen.

As an aside I would note that while Allen's sophomore and junior years were very good, his freshman year was by far his best season. The one and only season he was coached by the greatest RB coach (pro or college) of them all - The great Gary L. Brown, may he rest in peace. Every RB Gary Brown coached had his greatest season under his influence - Jamal Lewis, Peyton Hillis, DeMarco Murray, Ezekial Elliot, Darren McFadden (2d best season at age 28), just to name a few.

image.jpeg.e9e28f8c022a2f8324704ec306224e13.jpeg

24dbd294-2861-435e-bb37-bb3dfc96b837-AP_COWBOYS_OILERS.JPG?crop=942,1692,x393,y216&width=300&height=539&format=pjpg&auto=webp

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2024 at 9:19 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Rookie RBs often don’t get on the field due to blocking. Hopefully he improves. I think we need a third beast in the RB room personally. A guy that can soften the DL and set Breece and Izzy up for matchups against beaten down fat guys.

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I like Braelon Allen. I feel like a powerful back is something we've lacked since the Ivory days. But, I don't think Allen combined with Izzy are  equipped to spell Breece Hall if Hall gets injured. So, I'd prefer Wil Shipley, who would immediately be the best receiving back  on the team. If Hall goes down, I do think an Izzy/Shipley combination would fill  the void far better than Izzy/Allen.

As an aside I would note that while Allen's sophomore and junior years were very good, his freshman year was by far his best season. The one and only season he was coached by the greatest RB coach (pro or college) of them all - The great Gary L. Brown, may he rest in peace. Every RB Gary Brown coached had his greatest season under his influence - Jamal Lewis, Peyton Hillis, DeMarco Murray, Ezekial Elliot, Darren McFadden (2d best season at age 28), just to name a few.

image.jpeg.e9e28f8c022a2f8324704ec306224e13.jpeg

24dbd294-2861-435e-bb37-bb3dfc96b837-AP_COWBOYS_OILERS.JPG?crop=942,1692,x393,y216&width=300&height=539&format=pjpg&auto=webp

image.jpeg

cool history and I agree if Breece go down you are right would need a better combo as Allen would not be good choice there.  Too bad we let BAM go.  He was a good #3 i tho as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Trey Benson reminds me of  Breece Hall.

If we trade down and get some more picks, he would make for incredible RB depth (keeping Izzy as change of pace).

Remember that feeling when we drafted Breece after getting Sauce, Garrett, and JJ?  Like, oh wow, we are actually trying to win.  Let’s do that again.  Invest in the offense with a big name receiver but support it with the run game.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Trey Benson reminds me of  Breece Hall.

If we trade down and get some more picks, he would make for incredible RB depth (keeping Izzy as change of pace).

Remember that feeling when we drafted Breece after getting Sauce, Garrett, and JJ?  Like, oh wow, we are actually trying to win.  Let’s do that again.  Invest in the offense with a big name receiver but support it with the run game.

I love the pick. 1000% But this forum is the worse place to express what seems like a radical opinion. It's hard to explain why we need to target a potiential RB1 in the draft. Breece Hall is a great receiving threat who we should consider using more on 3rd downs. Only problem is you'll wear him out using him on every down of course. Benson is that complete back who you take some carries away from Hall on 1st and 2nd down. If Hall was to get hurt, it would suck to regress back to the 2022 Jets, in which the offense sunk when Hall left the Broncos game. Izzy at the moment is a fringe 3rd string RB. He's a 5th round pick so there's no way I can write him off. But if this is our championship run, we are playing with firing with him as an RB2 at the moment.

• Upvote 1

Not a need in any way. Drafting RB will only affect depth and they already have depth. RB can be picked up on the cheap in FA.

Breece Hall is going to get a chance to break All Purpose Yards records this year and that means touches will go to him. You won't be able to take him off the field. 

On 3/7/2024 at 8:49 AM, Beerfish said:

Yes it is but we do not need to use a 4th rounder for one, we can use one of our 7th rounders.

I think the jets are going to add a vet back though.

LOL  This is a hilarious comment and some people will know why.