Tee Higgins requests trade

54 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Would be tough to pay GW and Higgins at the same time.

Would also require surrendering premium draft capital.

They are about to lose Huff because JD had no forethought to lock him up.

Higgins hasn’t played a full season in awhile either.

He’s likely the best talent potentially available, but the Bengals have no obligation to honor his trade request.

JD should have tagged Huff.

Tag and trade would have been an option.  Now they’ll be lucky if they get a comp. 3rd.

If they could get 2 ones for Adams, what could they have gotten for a premier pass rusher in his prime?

Hey JD thanks for those brilliant Lazard, Laken and CJU contracts!  Over 50M guaranteed flushed down the drain!

Signing Huff to an extension a year ago was the move, when it was crickets chirping from other teams after he was RFA-tagged to just a 2nd round tender. Hysterical fans were sure he'd have been snatched up in a heartbeat because he wasn't 1st-round tagged, and cried about it for weeks, and 31 other teams were totally disinterested at offering even a low 2nd round pick for him. 

Tagging Huff would've been stupid -- nobody's trading the Jets any draft picks - let alone high draft picks - for the privilege of paying Huff $21MM/year long term. In the meantime tagging him would've eaten up 95-100% of their available cap space, forcing them into early decisions they may not yet want to make, for a part-time player, killing what minuscule leverage they might have had. 

It was easy to predict he wasn't getting tagged, because he doesn't have crazy trade value. 

The difference with Adams is he was on a low contract, was an incumbent 1st team all-pro who'd started all 3 seasons he was in the league. Plus that lower rookie contract allowed any future extension to roll that cheap 4th (and cheaper 5th year option) amounts into the total, making it feel like less. Huff has none of that. Also after seeing that trade - and the Russell Williams trade after it - blow up in the other teams' faces and resulted in new GMs in both instances, I don't think it'll be so soon before the next GM is going to be so gung-ho on trading a 1st & more for any non-QB. Never mind one who's never started 10 games in a season before, and the last time he started several games he couldn't make it through the season & was pretty forgettable.

If no one offered up 1st/2nd round picks for him when he still had a cheap year (and future tagging options) left on his contract, they weren't offering that up for him with no contract. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Would be tough to pay GW and Higgins at the same time.

Would also require surrendering premium draft capital.

They are about to lose Huff because JD had no forethought to lock him up.

Higgins hasn’t played a full season in awhile either.

He’s likely the best talent potentially available, but the Bengals have no obligation to honor his trade request.

JD should have tagged Huff.

Tag and trade would have been an option.  Now they’ll be lucky if they get a comp. 3rd.

If they could get 2 ones for Adams, what could they have gotten for a premier pass rusher in his prime?

Hey JD thanks for those brilliant Lazard, Laken and CJU contracts!  Over 50M guaranteed flushed down the drain!

We're going to have a lot of guys to pay very soon.  I don't see how we can afford the guy.

If we were in on Jerry Jeudy what in the world was JD's trade offer?  They only got a 5th and 6th for him.
Well it wasn't a 5th and a 6th since we don't have a 5th. I guess he could have gone with a 4th and a 6th, leaving us with 3 draft picks and the 3 comp picks we got.

2 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:
If we were in on Jerry Jeudy what in the world was JD's trade offer?  They only got a 5th and 6th for him.

Well it wasn't a 5th and a 6th since we don't have a 5th. I guess he could have gone with a 4th and a 6th, leaving us with 3 draft picks and the 3 comp picks we got.

I wonder what his offer was then.  A 6th and a 7th?

I wonder what his offer was then.  A 6th and a 7th?
I think the point is that a 6th and a 7th wasn't getting it done and a 4th and a 6th was too much given the number of draft picks we have.

It possible he went with a 6th, 7th plus Zach Wilson and Denver hung up when he was halfway through saying "Zach Wilson."

1 hour ago, Wit said:

The issue is that its hard to know how NFL ready these guys are until they start playing. 

Exactly, and our time to win is now. I would much rather sign a vet AND use our 3rd on a receiver. Would be great if we could move back from 10 to 13 and recoup a second rounder and then get a WR and two OL.

This all would have been so much easier if big-talking JD had moved up to take Higgins in round 2 instead of trading back and settling for Denzel Mims…

You can say that about every team in the NFL AND it's pretty easy to complain in hindsight. Mims was supposed to be good.

4 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I think the point is that a 6th and a 7th wasn't getting it done and a 4th and a 6th was too much given the number of draft picks we have.

It possible he went with a 6th, 7th plus Zach Wilson and Denver hung up when he was halfway through saying "Zach Wilson."

McEnroe_vs_Spectator.gif.bcd6821d8991fad54ebddfce8cbd642b.gif

Kidding

This is literally almost all wrong.  The Jets wouldn't have to pay Garrett Wilson and Higgins.  Wilson is on his rookie deal for 2 years and then will have the option picked up.  Wilson won't be in Tee Higgins position until 2027. 
They are about to lose Huff because Douglas felt that it was worth it to get a 3rd round comp pick for an UDFA that is kind of a poor fit here.  All the Huff love is kind of hysterical to me.  The guy never had more than, what?  3.5 sacks in a season, before his contract year?  Now you guys are whining that they aren't going to pay him $23M+?  It is insane.  Guys that think we were geniuses to get out from Leonard Williams?  It's a joke.  Now Huff is "a premier pass rusher in his prime?"  This nonsense is why there are posts mentioning a "trade" of Mekhi Becton.  
Yes, Lazard and Tomlinson were poor choices in hindsight.  Yes, I can appreciate that people said that going in.  I don't even know who CJU is, but I am guessing Mosley?  He was signed by Maccagnan, though I assume that we can complain about Douglas not getting out of the contract earlier is a sensible complaint.  
The idea that the Jets could get multiple firsts for Huff on the tag ($23.4M?) when they couldn't get a 2nd last year on a $4.3M deal when they were begging teams to take him is pretty ridiculous, yet continuously floated here and by a bunch of silly Jets youtubers.
CJU = Uzomah

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't know who Uzomah is but I am guessing Mosley?

Well, both are / were overpaid and easily replaceable, so you're not far off. :D 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Man, I’ll do that in a second!!! 

Then we can trade GW and #18 for #12 and a 4th rounder! :D  

Why would Cincy be in any way interested in that deal? They could likely get far better elsewhere without even trying.

13 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Don’t get your hopes up. Tee Higgins is not the type of player that JD typically goes after. 

Hes actually good at football

He goes after plenty of good receivers.  He went after Tyreek Hill.  He just doesn't get them.

The stupid conceit is organizational from the top-down, but I don’t see Breece’s tweet as arrogant.

More like Breece admitting how desperate the Jets are for a legit WR2.

Lazard must love seeing posts like this.  Must do wonders for his confidence.

I would think Lazard's confidence would be more shaken by his own performance. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

This all would have been so much easier if big-talking JD had moved up to take Higgins in round 2 instead of trading back and settling for Denzel Mims…

Yeah, JD should have drafted, at the very least, 15 all-pro's by now.