Fans welcoming John Simpson

• Jdeet changed the title to Fans welcoming John Simpson
7 minutes ago, section314 said:

They are like every team. They have priorities. Doesn’t mean they don’t think he is good. Could make the same shot Huff.

He was the most penalized guy on the line. And if you read a Ravens forum they mostly think anyone can replace him.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

So why are the Ravens letting this gem go?

Well they're better at this than the Jets, lol. They also let Orlando Brown Jr go when his $ got too much, and got a 1st rounder back for him from KC. The only two linemen they've made any type of substantial investments in is Stanley (#6 overall pick then a $100MM extension), and to a lesser extent Linderbaum at the bottom of round 1, some 18 slots ahead of where the Jets got Tippmann a year later (and Balt was  ok there with their prior unheralded centers, too, like the undrafted Skura & 6th round Bozeman).

The rest were cheap waiver castoffs like Simpson (not unlike when the Jets claimed Herbig the year before) & older linemen -- guys who no longer commanded big bucks (Zeitler & Moses) and maybe weren't what they once were in their primes, but were good enough & were reliable: those two didn't miss a game to injury for years & years. 

Balt will probably find one veteran guard in FA who doesn't break the bank (if they don't outright re-sign Zeitler), and then draft another, and there goes filling their two currently-open guard spots. Then next year Moses is a FA in 2025, followed by Stanley & Linderbaum the year after in 2026. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well they're better at this than the Jets, lol. They also let Orlando Brown Jr go when his $ got too much, and got a 1st rounder back for him from KC. The only two linemen they've made any type of substantial investments in is Stanley (#6 overall pick then a $100MM extension), and to a lesser extent Linderbaum at the bottom of round 1, some 18 slots ahead of where the Jets got Tippmann a year later (and Balt was  ok there with their prior unheralded centers, too, like the undrafted Skura & 6th round Bozeman).

The rest were cheap waiver castoffs like Simpson (not unlike when the Jets claimed Herbig the year before) & older linemen -- guys who no longer commanded big bucks (Zeitler & Moses) and maybe weren't what they once were in their primes, but were good enough & were reliable: those two didn't miss a game to injury for years & years. 

Balt will probably find one veteran guard in FA who doesn't break the bank (if they don't outright re-sign Zeitler), and then draft another, and there goes filling their two currently-open guard spots. Then next year Moses is a FA in 2025, followed by Stanley & Linderbaum the year after in 2026. 

Yep.  Another point is it’s far easier to replace only one guy on an oline each season as opposed to three or more.  And Jackson probably makes playing oline a bit easier.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

Yep.  Another point is it’s far easier to replace only one guy on an oline each season as opposed to three or more.  And Jackson probably makes playing oline a bit easier.

Not sure about that. I think his incessant scrambling might make it harder than someone like Brady who gets rid of the ball almost instantly. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Not sure about that. I think his incessant scrambling might make it harder than someone like Brady who gets rid of the ball almost instantly. 

I was thinking that as I wrote it.  The thing I see is that the scrambling may make it harder for the olinesmen to stay on the right side of the line until it’s clear Jackson is running. Brady certainly made things easier by being decisive with the throw. With Jackson maybe the oline doesn’t need to block as long because he’s always a threat to take off.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I was thinking that as I wrote it.  The thing I see is that the scrambling may make it harder for the olinesmen to stay on the right side of the line until it’s clear Jackson is running. Brady certainly made things easier by being decisive with the throw. With Jackson maybe the oline doesn’t need to block as long because he’s always a threat to take off.

Yep, plus Brady's guys got a lot of no calls too. 

5 hours ago, neckdemon said:

He was the most penalized guy on the line. And if you read a Ravens forum they mostly think anyone can replace him.

Probably the jets brass will smile from ear to ear with 10 offensive holding penalties on the year or he protects Rodgers well and can be part of getting him through the season without a torn ACL?

22 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Why didn’t the Ravens? 

He was signed to a 1 year, prove it deal, for 1 Million dollars.

He was a free agent, and the Jets went large and gave him a 2 year, $18M contract.  

Why didn't the Jets resign Bryce Huff?  Comes down to money, and not due to whether Huff was good or not.  

The Ravens probably think they already have someone on their roster who can replace Simpson, or feel that they want to spend significant money in other directions.

In any case, if Simpson wasn't any good, then he would not have started 19 straight games for them.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Probably the jets brass will smile from ear to ear with 10 offensive holding penalties on the year or he protects Rodgers well and can be part of getting him through the season without a torn ACL?

if he's a guy who'll do anything for his qb. like take a bullet, or just tackle the incoming rusher.

4 hours ago, jago said:

if he's a guy who'll do anything for his qb. like take a bullet, or just tackle the incoming rusher.

I'd be happy enough if they stepped slightly in the way of oncoming rushers after watching last season it was almost like they just intentionally stepped out of the way.