My Jets Draft Strategy

13 hours ago, Jets723 said:

I feel a trade down is much more possible now and preferable.  Recouping a second so you can get a weapon and keep adding to the OL

Have trade downs ever worked for JD?  

11 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Some chart..... 

I can't get excited about Mike Williams or Odell or Tyler Boyd or any of these guys.  Bowers is intriguing but now that Uzomah is gone, I'd like to see how Ruckert does with Conklin and Rodgers.  I'd go chalk.  If Odunze is there at 10, I'd take him...

Conklin signed a 3 yr contract two years ago.   This is his last year here unless we resign him.   Bowers could be in play unless they really love Ruckert

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Thought process:

1) Odunze

2) Trade Down

- Bowers

- Fautanu (G/T insurance for AVT/Tyron + can push Simpson

- JPJ (G/C insurance, not ideal but would be helpful if AVT needs to play OT at some point)

- Brian Thomas Jr. - 6'3" with 4.33 speed

2nd Round

- love the WRs in this round if you can get a pick. Xavier Legette would be high on my list but many WRs to choose from

- Cooper Beebe provides LT/LG/RG/RT flexibility

Basically a combo of Weapon & OT/G with our top 2 picks. Everything else pivots off that

Jets Draft Strategy.png

look graph GIF

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Conklin signed a 3 yr contract two years ago.   This is his last year here unless we resign him.   Bowers could be in play unless they really love Ruckert

Ruckert proved to be an excellent blocker… is Bowers of equal ability?

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

wyd if this happens?

image.thumb.png.ff9065a68e17b82f6217e0d3d60ff99c.png

Jayden Daniels, only because I don't think you can pass up a QB with such a high ceiling.   Worst case, trade down because someone will want him.

• Upvote 1

I’m hoping the Vikings trade their two first rounders to the Chargers, ensuring another QB goes top five and slipping LAC -also in the offensive help lane- just behind us. 

As much as I love the idea of trading back, I don’t see it. The Raiders #1 & 2 -maybe?- to come up for a QB? I don’t see anyone moving up for a defensive player at this point, and the Jets should be very interested in any quality OT/WR that another team would move for. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If Alt wasn't on the board Daniels would be the easy pick. Alt is super tempting though.

I hear you but QB is almost everything in the NFL so I don't think you can pass a guy like that up.  He might bust, of course, but those are the kinds of guys I think it's worth it to gamble on.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I hear you but QB is almost everything in the NFL so I don't think you can pass a guy like that up.  He might bust, of course, but those are the kinds of guys I think it's worth it to gamble on.

I’ll take “Things That Won’t Happen” for $200. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

They need to find a way to get penix. Him sitting behind Rodgers for a couple years is perfect. I think if they trade back they might do it with their hypothetical 2nd. 

Exactly what I am hoping for. Imagine trading back, taking WR in round 1, Penix in round 2 and best OL in round 3. That would be a perfect draft. QB and OL in 2nd and 3rd don't need to play and can be brought along slowly. We already have Carter Warren as a swing tackle and most likely another vet or two. We can't draft a first round pick that doesn't play in a win now team. We have plenty of bodies on the line now. I keep saying this because I think it's absolutely true - we've had more OL injuries because our QB was never feared. They kept stacking the box and creating pile ups on every play. Once we have Arod back there that won't be the case 24/7. 

• Post of the Week 1

18 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Thought process:

1) Odunze

2) Trade Down

- Bowers

- JPJ (G/C insurance, not ideal but would be helpful if AVT needs to play OT at some point)

2nd Round

- love the WRs in this round if you can get a pick. Xavier Legette would be high on my list but many WRs to choose from

Basically a combo of Weapon & OT/G with our top 2 picks. Everything else pivots off that

Jets Draft Strategy.png

Post of the week with the flow chart. I am sure the Jets will have something like this in addition to the Big Board which is essentially a flow chart

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Love thinking in flow charts. Everything is an "if this, than that"

Posters Please refer to the flow chart when posting  your thoughts and I believe it’s if it’s that then it’s this. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Have trade downs ever worked for JD?  

Trade ups have worked. AVT, JJ and Breece were all trade ups I believe. The pick at 10 has so many ramifications. Do we go with a trade back and get a 2 for 1 - OT/ WR. Do we just wait it out until round 3 to take a WR/OT. Which is more pertinent in round 1- the OT or the WR?  If Fuaga or Odunze are both there, who do you take?  No way JD can trade up in round 1. Maybe in round 3 but it would be also costly and he doesn’t have the resources to pull it off. 

15 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Respect anyone that shows up with a flow chart. 

Odunze @ 10 is cool and I'd be happy with that, but like so many of us, I've got terrible PTSD from offensive line injuries, and can't help but want more help there.

I'd like to learn more about Tyler Guyton. I was casually reading about more "day 1, pro-ready" tackles until we signed Tyron, but now I'm more open to tackles that require some development, like Guyton, the kid from Yale or Patrick Paul from Houston.

Seems like Guyton is more of a trade-down candidate and Paul + Kiran Amegadjie are more day 2 guys. 

Also seems like there are three receivers clustered at the top of this class, then the tier-two guys - Brian Thomas jr and Adonai Mitchell as lock first-rounders.

Maybe the best move from a draft value standpoint is to trade down, taking one of the tier-two receivers in the first, acquiring a second-rounder in the process, and using that 2nd rounder on whichever of those tackles is available. 

Yea, trade down is definitely my preferred route. I like Mims and Guyton of we go OT, I do kinda prefer a trade down for a guy that is a little G/T hybrid but understand their upside

• Upvote 1

Once we see what the actual needs are in about a month it will come down to the board the jets put together using the scouting department reports and the analytics.  

JD tends to stick and pick in round 1. 

Rodgers likes to throw to his TE.  I don’t think the jets are going to bring in another TE so Bowers is probably the most likely outcome at this point. 

If a couple teams go edge rusher or corner in front of the jets I could see a trade down. 

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

Once we see what the actual needs are in about a month it will come down to the board the jets put together using the scouting department reports and the analytics.  

JD tends to stick and pick in round 1. 

Rodgers likes to throw to his TE.  I don’t think the jets are going to bring in another TE so Bowers is probably the most likely outcome at this point. 

If a couple teams go edge rusher or corner in front of the jets I could see a trade down. 

Jets fans (myself included) are so hung up on the # of draft picks - the more the merrier yet the 2020 and 2021 drafts which the JETs got good reviews for and had a lot of picks, almost all those players are gone or soon to be.  The facts are abysmal when you look at the percentage of players getting 2nd contracts or even making it to that consideration.  Some people say increase your chances by taking more players but that doesn't work usually just means adding more bodies that they hold onto until the bitter end to try and at least get comp picks out of or some sucker to trade for.  It is a vicious cycle.

7 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Trade ups have worked. AVT, JJ and Breece were all trade ups I believe. The pick at 10 has so many ramifications. Do we go with a trade back and get a 2 for 1 - OT/ WR. Do we just wait it out until round 3 to take a WR/OT. Which is more pertinent in round 1- the OT or the WR?  If Fuaga or Odunze are both there, who do you take?  No way JD can trade up in round 1. Maybe in round 3 but it would be also costly and he doesn’t have the resources to pull it off. 

The bold hits the nail on the head.  Trade ups are active, aggressive, targeted.  Trade downs are passive, hope filled, and weak.          

3 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

The bold hits the nail on the head.  Trade ups are active, aggressive, targeted.  Trade downs are passive, hope filled, and weak.          

Could be. But when you’ve screwed up draft picks in trades and wasted players you have to try and recoup past mistakes. Maybe this draft ain’t the time to do that though. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Quality analysis. Never thought of the trade back that way… but I see your point. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/16/2024 at 5:33 PM, bla bla bla said:

Thought process:

1) Odunze

2) Trade Down

- Bowers

2nd Round

Jets Draft Strategy.png

Damn dude I saw this on Twitter and almost posted it here 😂

• Haha 1