My Jets Draft Strategy

15 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Thought process:

1) Odunze

2) Trade Down

- Bowers

- Fautanu (G/T insurance for AVT/Tyron + can push Simpson

- JPJ (G/C insurance, not ideal but would be helpful if AVT needs to play OT at some point)

- Brian Thomas Jr. - 6'3" with 4.33 speed

2nd Round

- love the WRs in this round if you can get a pick. Xavier Legette would be high on my list but many WRs to choose from

- Cooper Beebe provides LT/LG/RG/RT flexibility

Basically a combo of Weapon & OT/G with our top 2 picks. Everything else pivots off that

Jets Draft Strategy.png

That flow chart - LMAO!   I love it.  Bla Bla Bla - you are the best!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I feel a trade down is much more possible now and preferable.  Recouping a second so you can get a weapon and keep adding to the OL

At this point if we can grab a high enough second we could potentially land a QB of the future in round 2 and go OL in round 3 since the draft is so deep. Have to grab a weapon in round 1 now - what happens if GW misses time? It's a nightmare all over again except with a different position group. Even if we sign a vet - injuries could quickly wipe us out. We have plenty of young guys as backups on the line now. A weapon with our first pick is a must. WR costs a fortune in FA these days. Slide back and pick a WR would be best option IMO in round 1. 

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

I feel a trade down is much more possible now and preferable.  Recouping a second so you can get a weapon and keep adding to the OL

100% agree, I do think we'll need a QB to fall to us in order for a team to hop up though. Unless we convince a team like the Eagles in the 20s to come up for a 2nd

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Thought process:

1) Odunze

2) Trade Down

- Bowers

- Fautanu (G/T insurance for AVT/Tyron + can push Simpson

- JPJ (G/C insurance, not ideal but would be helpful if AVT needs to play OT at some point)

- Brian Thomas Jr. - 6'3" with 4.33 speed

2nd Round

- love the WRs in this round if you can get a pick. Xavier Legette would be high on my list but many WRs to choose from

- Cooper Beebe provides LT/LG/RG/RT flexibility

Basically a combo of Weapon & OT/G with our top 2 picks. Everything else pivots off that

Jets Draft Strategy.png

Confused Canadian GIF

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

At this point if we can grab a high enough second we could potentially land a QB of the future in round 2 and go OL in round 3 since the draft is so deep. Have to grab a weapon in round 1 now - what happens if GW misses time? It's a nightmare all over again except with a different position group. Even if we sign a vet - injuries could quickly wipe us out. We have plenty of young guys as backups on the line now. A weapon with our first pick is a must. WR costs a fortune in FA these days. Slide back and pick a WR would be best option IMO in round 1. 

I really don't like the idea of QB high, with Rodgers wanting to play 2, 3, or 4 more years. I'd rather take a stab later on and then whenever Rodgers retires, look to move mountains to come up in the draft for a QB and have him compete with the QB we draft this year

• Upvote 1

Some chart..... 

I can't get excited about Mike Williams or Odell or Tyler Boyd or any of these guys.  Bowers is intriguing but now that Uzomah is gone, I'd like to see how Ruckert does with Conklin and Rodgers.  I'd go chalk.  If Odunze is there at 10, I'd take him...

• Upvote 1

Just now, peekskill68 said:

Some chart..... 

I can't get excited about Mike Williams or Odell or Tyler Boyd or any of these guys.  Bowers is intriguing but now that Uzomah is gone, I'd like to see how Ruckert does with Conklin and Rodgers.  I'd go chalk.  If Odunze is there at 10, I'd take him...

I like Ruckert as our FB in the event we get Bowers at 10 or in a trade down!

• Upvote 1

Yeah I'm not drafting an interior lineman anywhere near the first 2 rounds when there's a chance they might never see the field these next couple of years.  Tippmann is the C of the future and AVT is the long-term RG as long as he stays healthy.  If healthy the best chance he'll have of overtaking someone is Simpson who we just signed a 2 year deal.  If we're bringing in depth with upside it would be a 4th rounder.  Someone like Zinter.  Depth absolutely should be a priority, but not in the 1st round.

Same with OTs, tbh.  I really have no desire to draft a kid high when there's a chance they don't see the field next year.  What's the point of drafting kids like Warren and Mitchell if we're just looking to replace them with 1st and 2nd rounders a year later?  Trust that Smith will play the majority of the season, and that Warren can develop well behind him.  We can look at RTs in 2025 if Mitchell doesn't progress.

It's gotta be a weapon.  It just has to be.  Even if we sign Mike Williams.  Bring in Bowers or Odunze or Thomas Jr.  I'm perfectly content with staying at 10.  I think one of the perks of addressing all of these holes through UFAs/trades is that we don't HAVE to reclaim that 2nd rounder.  We can just sit tight and take the elite talent.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Respect anyone that shows up with a flow chart. 

Odunze @ 10 is cool and I'd be happy with that, but like so many of us, I've got terrible PTSD from offensive line injuries, and can't help but want more help there.

I'd like to learn more about Tyler Guyton. I was casually reading about more "day 1, pro-ready" tackles until we signed Tyron, but now I'm more open to tackles that require some development, like Guyton, the kid from Yale or Patrick Paul from Houston.

Seems like Guyton is more of a trade-down candidate and Paul + Kiran Amegadjie are more day 2 guys. 

Also seems like there are three receivers clustered at the top of this class, then the tier-two guys - Brian Thomas jr and Adonai Mitchell as lock first-rounders.

Maybe the best move from a draft value standpoint is to trade down, taking one of the tier-two receivers in the first, acquiring a second-rounder in the process, and using that 2nd rounder on whichever of those tackles is available. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Respect anyone that shows up with a flow chart. 

Odunze @ 10 is cool and I'd be happy with that, but like so many of us, I've got terrible PTSD from offensive line injuries, and can't help but want more help there.

I'd like to learn more about Tyler Guyton. I was casually reading about more "day 1, pro-ready" tackles until we signed Tyron, but now I'm more open to tackles that require some development, like Guyton, the kid from Yale or Patrick Paul from Houston.

Seems like Guyton is more of a trade-down candidate and Paul + Kiran Amegadjie are more day 2 guys. 

Also seems like there are three receivers clustered at the top of this class, then the tier-two guys - Brian Thomas jr and Adonai Mitchell as lock first-rounders.

Maybe the best move from a draft value standpoint is to trade down, taking one of the tier-two receivers in the first, acquiring a second-rounder in the process, and using that 2nd rounder on whichever of those tackles is available. 

If we trade down a bit we coyld get guyton in the first and leggette in the second. To me thats the ideal scenario 

One of Fashanu, Fuaga, Odunze, Thomas, Bowers or a QB they really like will be there at 10 and they will take one of those guys. I doubt JD will trade down. But if he does, predicting who he will take is impossible since we don't know what team he will trade with. Obviously odds are it will be o-line or a weapon for Rodgers. 

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

If we trade down a bit we coyld get guyton in the first and leggette in the second. To me thats the ideal scenario 

I have to read more and hear more from posters on this board who I know follow the draft religiously every year, but it seems like the dropoff in receiver talent is a lot steeper than offensive tackle.

Might be best to take the receiver in round one and the tackle on day two. 

But generally, I'm happy to trade down now that we got Tyron. 

I'm guessing Douglas will simply add as much veteran depth across the roster and then use most of the draft on giving Rodgers as many weapons as possible. Maybe a depth cb later. I don't think they are worried about QB until they are forced to. I want them to draft Penix later but I don't think it's possible 

Right now even if they add Mike Williams I'll be excited but that doesn't really solve the wr problem. He can't necessarily be counted on right away and we need more wr / oline reinforcements as insurance. 

Obviously it's still super early. I just don't want to see Mike Williams signed along with Davis coming back and Douglas thinks he's done.

Tyron Smith and Vera Tucker are awesome when healthy but we need viable options begin them

I agree except QB of the future is an impossibility until competency js is established on the coaching staff. Is there even a QB coach now ? This problem gets magnified the more a prospect is deemed a project.

Penix has issues with his game ... But I like his accuracy and arm especially in the 2nd round.

Oduenze or Bowers would.be tough to pass on in the first round.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I agree except QB of the future is an impossibility until competency js is established on the coaching staff. Is there even a QB coach now ? This problem gets magnified the more a prospect is deemed a project.

Penix has issues with his game ... But I like his accuracy and arm especially in the 2nd round.

we might not have a QB coach per say, or maybe we do. but i would like to get somebody learning from Rodgers A.S.A.P 

i think we would be wasting a unique opportunity to get a young kid to learn from Rodgers. but i dont want to use a 1st rd pick on one. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

They need to find a way to get penix. Him sitting behind Rodgers for a couple years is perfect. I think if they trade back they might do it with their hypothetical 2nd. 

• Upvote 1