Fashanu or Fuaga

I am not understanding why, if you are not taking Joe Alt, you don’t take a high upside WR like BTJ.  

All of these F OL would appear to have the potential for good NFL careers, but they appear to have holes in their games.  

I would be most worried about Fautanu.  He has the size to be elite, but DJ did not think he played well last year.  His hands are small.   I am not taking an OL unless he is mean, nasty and loves to hit people.  

Fuaga appears to fit that category, but he is at 15.  He is also likely not to play in 2024 because Moses is very durable.  

I think if you’re taking a tackle at 10 and the choice is between Fashanu and Fuaga you go with the higher upside LT prospect over the RT mauler. Don’t have super strong conviction on either as prospects but from a process standpoint I think that’s the move.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Kiran Amegadjie of Yale? What do you think?

36" arms!

Excited Jurassic Park GIF

Decent upside guy, Kingsley from byu too 

And also in the late Rd 1 early 2 bumper crop discussion 

The problem is that the Jets are not good at developing these lineman 

Not like a Baltimore or Philadelphia. Keith Carter needs it to be a simple process 

• Upvote 1

I don't think people are giving Fashanu as much credit as he deserves. He is the best pure LT prospect of this bunch. Period, end of sentence. You are drafting top ten. If you are going to go o-line, you don't take a RT. You don't don't take a guy who could fill in at G. You don't take the second best LT behind Fashanu because he can also play G. If Fashanu stays healthy and improves his run blocking he will be a special LT. For months leading up to the draft he was neck and neck with Alt as the top LT in the class. To me, if Fashanu is there and JD wants to go oline, this is a no brainer. Its Fashanu. 

As far as drafting a weapon. I think taking Bowers is risky and we will need a gameplan for him. Odunze is a great WR but I think people are not giving nearly enough thought to going Thomas Jr., who IMO, is going to be an absolute stud in the NFL. 

As far as trading down and adding a second rounder. I agree 100% that it would be beneficial. But it all depends on how far we move down and who is available. Another risk. There's plenty of quality receivers you can get in Rd. 2 or even Rd. 3 but the quality OTs will start to fly off the board IMO. I don't really want to reach late in Rd 1 for a project OT just to make sure we addressed the position when we had an opportunity to take a guy like Fashanu at 10. 

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I get confused by the names.

Which one of these two is the ground-dwelling dragon from Dig-Dug?

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

What an excellent game.

Dig-dug and Q-bert are criminally underrated, and both are better than Pac Man. Fight me.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

I've thought a lot about his myself - OT or WR or TE (Bowers).  I strongly leaned towards OT since Moses and Smith are older and have an injury history.  BUT, getting another elite weapon for Aaron is really tempting.  A WR corp of Mike Williams, GW and Odunze or Bowers to go along with Breece is really dangereous.  Regardless, JD WILL draft a WR and a OT with his 1st and 3rd rounder.  Which one comes first is another matter. If you go OT with the 1st rounder, the WR in round 3 is not as elite. But, if go Odunze at 10, the options at OT in round 3 arent bad at all.  Kiran Amegadjie of Yale is slated to go in round 3 around 75 to 95. We pick at 72.  Another option is going OT in round 1 and trading back into round 2 and get a guy Xavier Worthy who might slip into round 2.  Or we could trade back in round 1 and grab an extra 2nd.  Grab a T Amarius Mims, who can play RT or LT. And with the 2nd rounder take the best avaialble WR there. JD needs to get this right.

It’s a false narrative that Moses has an injury history. He played for 8 full seasons not missing a start. And played 14/17 games last year. So in his career as a starter he’s missed 3 games. Which was an upper body injury. That’s the exact opposite of injury prone. He’s an iron man if anything.

• Upvote 1

It depends on what you value. If you value flexibility and the ability to play guard as well, I'd go:

1. Fautanu

2. Fuaga

3. Olu

If you value the ability to play tackle, I'd go:

1. Olu

2. Fautanu

3. Fuaga. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Fashanu. And it's go na be awesome when we don't need to go find 3 starting caliber linemen again next season (or when we have a top 10 pick stepping in for injury during this season).

True. Or Moses and Smith really love it here and resign. And I believe Simpson was a 2 year deal.

Also MW and Lazard are in the last years of deals with us. So Wilson is our only NFL caliber WR under contract next year at a position you play 3-5 guys at regularly.

Conklin I think is done after this year. So we have an unknown Ruckert as the only guy under contract after this year.

So your OL argument plays for WR and TE too. Could argue even more.

30 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

True. Or Moses and Smith really love it here and resign. And I believe Simpson was a 2 year deal.

Also MW and Lazard are in the last years of deals with us. So Wilson is our only NFL caliber WR under contract next year at a position you play 3-5 guys at regularly.

Conklin I think is done after this year. So we have an unknown Ruckert as the only guy under contract after this year.

So your OL argument plays for WR and TE too. Could argue even more.

Fair. Seems like legit OL are way harder to find via trade/FA then WRs though. 

Listening to a pod with Rick speilman and their comp for fashanu was d'brick. 

Tell me what's worth more, a dozen years of d'brick or a really good te/wr? I'll take the stability and high level play at tackle

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s a false narrative that Moses has an injury history. He played for 8 full seasons not missing a start. And played 14/17 games last year. So in his career as a starter he’s missed 3 games. Which was an upper body injury. That’s the exact opposite of injury prone. He’s an iron man if anything.

OK good to know. Thanks. BUT, he's still in his early 30's, so he's no spring chickie.  Mitchell has proven he's not up to the task. Waste. Warren is so-so. Again, not an idela sub and is still developing.  Riswky to realy in him if either Smith or Moses goes down for an undisclosed period.  JD has to get a better option either through the draft, FA or trade.  

8 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Fair. Seems like legit OL are way harder to find via trade/FA then WRs though. 

Listening to a pod with Rick speilman and their comp for fashanu was d'brick. 

Tell me what's worth more, a dozen years of d'brick or a really good te/wr? I'll take the stability and high level play at tackle

I’d be good with weapon or OL. But I am leaning more to weapon after the way FA went. And that’s a lot to do with that I do think we still bring in a vet OT and I believe in the development of Warren more than most.

FWIW, I think where I have most gotten myself into trouble over the years with prospects is putting too much importance on how the prospect played in 1 game. I think Fashanu is dealing with a lot of prospect fatigue and criticism from the Ohio State game. At the end of the day, he still has the best feet of all the tackles, he has very good flexibility for a guy his size and he keeps battling out there in pass pro. I think he will ultimately be the best tackle in the draft. I think Alt is going to always deal with leverage issues that are inherent when you are as tall as he is. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

FWIW, I think where I have most gotten myself into trouble over the years with prospects is putting too much importance on how the prospect played in 1 game. I think Fashanu is dealing with a lot of prospect fatigue and criticism from the Ohio State game. At the end of the day, he still has the best feet of all the tackles, he has very good flexibility for a guy his size and he keeps battling out there in pass pro. I think he will ultimately be the best tackle in the draft. I think Alt is going to always deal with leverage issues that are inherent when you are as tall as he is. 

Fashanu has been overlooked to ridiculous amounts and without a polished monster like Alt, would be LT1 in a lot of draft classes.

I say GOOD let him fall to 10 and we'll happily (hopefully) select him.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Fashanu has been overlooked to ridiculous amounts and without a polished monster like Alt, would be LT1 in a lot of draft classes.

I say GOOD let him fall to 10 and we'll happily (hopefully) select him.

Yeah, he's still my top choice at 10 (assuming Odunze doesn't make it). Let Olu and Warren sit for a year while they learn from 2 vets. In 2025, Jets can play 2 tackles on rookie deals, that is a huge salary cap saver. 

9 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Yeah, he's still my top choice at 10 (assuming Odunze doesn't make it). Let Olu and Warren sit for a year while they learn from 2 vets. In 2025, Jets can play 2 tackles on rookie deals, that is a huge salary cap saver. 

I think they’d draft Fashanu even if Odunze is there.