Fashanu or Fuaga

So I’m more team going Bowers or Odunze if there (assuming Alt, MHJ and Nabers are gone), but certainly not against OL at 10.

The reason for this thread is to address why I lean more to weapon. And if not that more to Fashanu even though I like grade Fuaga higher.

The reason most want an OT is bc Smith gets injured pretty much every year now. So he can’t be relied on for 17 games. Which isn’t false.

What I feel is getting a tad lost in this, is that at the top of the draft… Alt and Fashanu are the only LTs. Fuaga is a RT. If I’ve read correctly also. He never even played LT in college. So not exactly like he would be the backup to Smith. Warren would likely be that (assuming we don’t bring in a vet that likely would start over any OT we’d draft at 10). Warren was a LT in college. He played RT for us bc we were desperate last year.

Furthermore… Moses generally stays healthy. So while he is getting up in age. Hes durable. I mean he played through a torn pec I think it was last year. And will be 100% this season. So a really good backup to him isn’t as much of a need as it is for Smith.

So on talent alone I think I like Fuaga more than Fashanu. But Fashanu is more valuable to us.

So I’d have question if we drafted Fuaga at 10. Especially if Bowers, Odunze and Fashanu are available. If we bring in a vet LT. Than at that stage I know we’d have no long term OT. But I’d rather still see us go weapon there. Someone who can immediately help us. We have likely a 2 year window. So get guys that can help now. 

• Upvote 2

The answer to this is really going to come down to how much risk is Douglas willing to take. If we take a WR or Bowers then he is willing to put it all on the line for the highest reward with a high amount of risk involved. 

Fashanu or Fuaga being drafted means he is choosing the safer route with a lower ceiling. 

8 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

Fashanu or Fuaga being drafted means he is choosing the safer route with a lower ceiling. 

It could also mean he likes the mid round WRs more than the mid round OL.

The team probably gets better collectively by getting an (A-) OT and a (B+ )WR, than by getting an (A+) WR and a (C+) OL

I understand why people want to trade down but there's a huge difference between the Fs and a player like Tyler guyton. Mims is a great athlete but at least a 2 year project that's how raw he is. Latham is Becton part 2
I'd rather the Jets stay where they are and take a potential pro bowler than a bust at the end of the round 
And fwiw I like fuaga, olu and Troy in that order but all would be great picks 
I'm also suspicious of alt... Not many tackles are over 81 inches. Alejandro Villanueva is the only one who panned out 

What about Patrick Paul?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

I really don't want an OL in the 1st, but if it's something we're dead set on doing, the only one I'd be happy with is Fautanu.  Can give you depth at LG and LT out of the gate, and can replace Smith next year at LT full time.  Olu is pretty much a LT only, and Fuaga doesn't help us much since the main risk is Smith, not Moses.  I don't buy Fuaga as a LT.  

So yes, give me Bowers, but if it's gotta be OL I'd prefer Fautanu.  

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

I really don't want an OL in the 1st, but if it's something we're dead set on doing, the only one I'd be happy with is Fautanu.  Can give you depth at LG and LT out of the gate, and can replace Smith next year at LT full time.  Olu is pretty much a LT only, and Fuaga doesn't help us much since the main risk is Smith, not Moses.  I don't buy Fuaga as a LT.  

So yes, give me Bowers, but if it's gotta be OL I'd prefer Fautanu.  

I just dont think you can use a high pick on a TE, the skillset is so hard to see in college as none of it translates aside from blocking.

Kelce is amazing because he happens to have such a great feel as a WR that its really unique and somehow he got paired with a QB who can extend plays and has the ability to improvise.  Then you look at Gronk who was a great blocker and had the size to exploit any LB in the league and most strong safeties. 

Bowers is 6'3 245 - how is that someone who will demand that the defense adapt to what he is able to do?  If he is your starting TE in a 3 WR set, is there any threat of a strong run game?  No - you will play nickel as your base.  The reason Kittle is so good is that he is a devastating blocker (which is what Ruckert is) which forces the defense to play a true 3 LB set and allows for mismatches off that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

It could also mean he likes the mid round WRs more than the mid round OL.

The team probably gets better collectively by getting an (A-) OT and a (B+ )WR, than by getting an (A+) WR and a (C+) OL

"That" is a given in this draft ... much better WR prospects overall than OL in the latter rounds. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

So I’m more team going Bowers or Odunze if there (assuming Alt, MHJ and Nabers are gone), but certainly not against OL at 10.

The reason for this thread is to address why I lean more to weapon. And if not that more to Fashanu even though I like grade Fuaga higher.

The reason most want an OT is bc Smith gets injured pretty much every year now. So he can’t be relied on for 17 games. Which isn’t false.

What I feel is getting a tad lost in this, is that at the top of the draft… Alt and Fashanu are the only LTs. Fuaga is a RT. If I’ve read correctly also. He never even played LT in college. So not exactly like he would be the backup to Smith. Warren would likely be that (assuming we don’t bring in a vet that likely would start over any OT we’d draft at 10). Warren was a LT in college. He played RT for us bc we were desperate last year.

Furthermore… Moses generally stays healthy. So while he is getting up in age. Hes durable. I mean he played through a torn pec I think it was last year. And will be 100% this season. So a really good backup to him isn’t as much of a need as it is for Smith.

So on talent alone I think I like Fuaga more than Fashanu. But Fashanu is more valuable to us.

So I’d have question if we drafted Fuaga at 10. Especially if Bowers, Odunze and Fashanu are available. If we bring in a vet LT. Than at that stage I know we’d have no long term OT. But I’d rather still see us go weapon there. Someone who can immediately help us. We have likely a 2 year window. So get guys that can help now. 

I've thought a lot about his myself - OT or WR or TE (Bowers).  I strongly leaned towards OT since Moses and Smith are older and have an injury history.  BUT, getting another elite weapon for Aaron is really tempting.  A WR corp of Mike Williams, GW and Odunze or Bowers to go along with Breece is really dangereous.  Regardless, JD WILL draft a WR and a OT with his 1st and 3rd rounder.  Which one comes first is another matter. If you go OT with the 1st rounder, the WR in round 3 is not as elite. But, if go Odunze at 10, the options at OT in round 3 arent bad at all.  Kiran Amegadjie of Yale is slated to go in round 3 around 75 to 95. We pick at 72.  Another option is going OT in round 1 and trading back into round 2 and get a guy Xavier Worthy who might slip into round 2.  Or we could trade back in round 1 and grab an extra 2nd.  Grab a T Amarius Mims, who can play RT or LT. And with the 2nd rounder take the best avaialble WR there. JD needs to get this right.

• Upvote 1

I like fuaga more 
I like any of the top 3 WRs over Bowers, but I certainly understand the appeal.
the only thing that would really piss me off is going defense 
Pretty much exactly how I feel... How do you feel about trading up for Alt if he drops to 7?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk