Did JD build the best team in football?

On 3/29/2024 at 8:18 PM, FidelioJet said:

Just saying I thought that was the theme of JetNation.  Just trying to fit in :-)

For sh*tty players who haven't done anything in this league, yes. For 4 time MVP players. not so much. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

For sh*tty players who haven't done anything in this league, yes. For 4 time MVP players. not so much. 

Yes.  But getting old in professional sports is a thing.

And 41, already declining 2 years ago, coming off season ending achilles surgery.

Any expectation that he's not already shot is wishful thinking at best.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

the Jets will be the best team in football when they have the record of the best team in football. not before 

proving it with wins and losses - like every other "Best team in football" 

so far these NYJ under Joe Douglas have been number one in offseason hype campaigns or whatever but it's been 5 years and they haven't won sh*t 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

the Jets will be the best team in football when they have the record of the best team in football. not before 

proving it with wins and losses - like every other "Best team in football" 

so far these NYJ under Joe Douglas have been number one in offseason hype campaigns or whatever but it's been 5 years and they haven't won sh*t 

JD has yet to have a winning season or make a playoff as a GM.  This is almost as asinine as the threads 2 years ago gloating about how much better Zach was than Trevor Lawrence 

• Upvote 3

The team is very good but the age of our key players specifically at QB and ot are a major concern I think one injury can easily domino into a scenario where our team goes from very good to very bad. Aside from that I think safety is still kind of a weak spot for us.

13 hours ago, JetsFlyer said:

hes pulled his large ass out of the fire very nicely these last few weeks... well done JD..

still annoyed about giving up this 2nd rounder after saving GB from cap hell

We only give up a second rounder if both the playing time and the sack numbers are hit. And the pick is in 2026, so is the equivalent of a 5th rounder / conditional 4th rounder this year.

• WTF? 1

40 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Amazing how soon people forget about the OL

You could pretty much rewrite the original post with "if the team stays healthy" rather than just Rogers.

At least we have a team that is likely to be good if healthy - a lot of years we haven't even had that. ;-) 

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

We have so many Joe haters, not for anything he has actually done but for injuries and just sojf vibes. I wonder now as we enter into this season with a excellent team led by one of the best ever what they think?

Haters gonna hate, fanboys gonna fanboy. And the two gonna argue. :D 

Personally I feel the roster is better than anything we have had in a long time - which is a reflection on the GM. But there are injury concerns at a lot of spots - some of these are on the GM too (signing guys with known injury problems) and others are just bad luck (e.g. AVT).

2024 really is a "prove it" year - the argument about JD / Saleh's record to date will become irrelevant if we have a strong season, and if we don't then at a minimum Saleh, and possibly JD, will be gone.

8 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

We have so many Joe haters, not for anything he has actually done but for injuries and just sojf vibes. I wonder now as we enter into this season with a excellent team led by one of the best ever what they think?

You don't think it's a GM's job to actually win games?

As of now Joe Douglas may very well be the worst GM in Jets history.  A half a decade of futility is tough to do.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

As of now Joe Douglas may very well be the worst GM in Jets history.  A half a decade of futility is tough to do.  

Do you think that the roster is the worst in Jets history? 

The GMs job is to build a roster to actually win games. The roster that has been assembled, as it stands, is perfectly capable of that. (Was last year too, but we all know how that went).

The last GM we could probably say the same of is Mike T, over 10 years ago. 

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He really missed with the Slappy Wilson pick. Basically flushed 2 years right down the crapola. And by not burying him on the depth chart last year, we ended up flushing a 3rd year. Slappy has been absolutely crippling to this franchise. Douglas couldn't have picked a worse QB.

• Upvote 1

On 4/1/2024 at 7:17 AM, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  But getting old in professional sports is a thing.

And 41, already declining 2 years ago, coming off season ending achilles surgery.

Any expectation that he's not already shot is wishful thinking at best.  

Why do you always add a year to his age?  To make the point that he’s done given there isn’t one actual fact pointing to his demise?

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Why do you always add a year to his age?  To make the point that he’s done given there isn’t one actual fact pointing to his demise?

It's his age in "Jet Years." 😅 Once you become a Jet, every six month you become a year older.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I needed a good laugh.  This is a 11 win team at best and that’s IF Rodgers plays all 17 games

Didn’t 11 wins took the division 4 of the last 5 years? 
Chiefs won 11? 

6 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

It's his age in "Jet Years." 😅 Once you become a Jet, every six month you become a year older.

He, someone gave AR the extra year.  I pointed out that a year was added and got a response that he was almost 41.  I responded with 9 months is not almost a year.  He said 9 mins is almost a year.  We have new math here at JN

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He, someone gave AR the extra year.  I pointed out that a year was added and got a response that he was almost 41.  I responded with 9 months is not almost a year.  He said 9 mins is almost a year.  We have new math here at JN

It's already been posted that Reddick is 31, lol. 

35 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Probably for the same reason JD defenders kept posting that he "had two years left/isn't a lame duck".

In both cases there is some measure of technical truth:

1. Rodgers turns 41 during the 2024 season (in Dec. 2024).

2. JD's contract doesn't end the day after our last game this season, it runs (we believe) thru June, but not into the 2025 season/games.

In both cases, it's the wrong way to portray either issue/question.  JD is in fact a lame duck in his last year, and Rodgers is in fact a 40 year old QB for the vast bulk of this coming season.

hes pulled his large ass out of the fire very nicely these last few weeks... well done JD..
still annoyed about giving up this 2nd rounder after saving GB from cap hell
Yeah .. I agree (4plays ugh) .. but hindsight is 20/20 .. I was bummed about the 2nd too... Felt like Joe could have waited GB out.

I was on the Rodgers train last summer ... Jumping off would be a cowardly move .. so paint '**** it' on the locomotive ... LFG.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

He really missed with the Slappy Wilson pick. Basically flushed 2 years right down the crapola. And by not burying him on the depth chart last year, we ended up flushing a 3rd year. Slappy has been absolutely crippling to this franchise. Douglas couldn't have picked a worse QB.

In a way Hackenberg was a better pick because - other than the obvious lower pick investment - he never even teased a little bit so they abandoned all hope that much faster.

Of course not fast enough, as Macstupid passed on Mahomes and Watson to draft a ****ing safety, which should be the entirety of his epitaph when the time comes someday, without the profanity filter ****s. 

3 QBs with top 10 grades, and the only bust among the 3 was already off the board by pick 2. He literally couldn't have messed up the pick, as there were only degrees of winning/success, and he takes a safety. A safety, ffs. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/30/2024 at 9:45 AM, Warfish said:

Can you?

Better than the 68's Super Bowl Jets?

Better than the 1985/1986 Jets with the Sack Exchange and Toon/Walker/Shuler/McNeil?

Better than the Parcells 98' Jets?

Better than the 2009/2010 Rex Jets?

I don't think so.  So much hype, so little results, that's the fact of the JD era, and till his teams prove it, on the field, it will remain so.  Best ever, lol.

In collective hindsight, the 68 Jets were actually an amazing team. If that team had managed one more SB, half of that staring roster would be HOF'ers. Gerry Philbin SHOULD have been inducted years ago, along with a couple of others. It seems the NFL likes to wait for those old Jets die first before honoring them... but the issue was longevity. Lots of early retirements and shortened careers. 

The 85-86 squad was amazing, held back by random misfortune...and the QB. 

The early-Rex Jets were a really good collection of talent... held back by QB.

It's like an endless cycle. 😆 

IF, IF, IF 8 is top 10, yeah, I'd stack the current roster up there "on paper", tbh. But that doesn't mean much if it doesn't show up on the field....

• Post of the Week 1

On 3/29/2024 at 6:38 PM, Rhg1084 said:

Looks like JD did a fantastic job building this team. Now go trade up for MHJ or Nabers to put the cherry on top of this offseason!

Winning the off-season doesn't win football games.

If you need proof of that, look all the way back to the 2023 NFL season.

22 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

The season starts mid September. Aaron Rodgers will turn 41 on December 2.

@FidelioJet is not wrong. The Jets will have a 41yo QB in ‘24.

So September, October and November they’ll have a 40yo QB.

In December and 1 week of January a 41 year old.

You guys are right, more of the new math at work

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Probably for the same reason JD defenders kept posting that he "had two years left/isn't a lame duck".

In both cases there is some measure of technical truth:

1. Rodgers turns 41 during the 2024 season (in Dec. 2024).

2. JD's contract doesn't end the day after our last game this season, it runs (we believe) thru June, but not into the 2025 season/games.

In both cases, it's the wrong way to portray either issue/question.  JD is in fact a lame duck in his last year, and Rodgers is in fact a 40 year old QB for the vast bulk of this coming season.

How does an opinion on JDs future have to do with most of ARs 2024 season will be played a 40yo?  
I haven’t mentioned JDs contract.  No one should.  
I will say this, if the team stays relatively healthy they’re at least contending for a playoff spot and I assume his chances are pretty good of getting an extension. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How does an opinion on JDs future have to do with most of ARs 2024 season will be played a 40yo?  

As I said, they have to do with each other because they are both frequently mis-stated things here at JN.  JD is in his final year, he does not currently have two years left.  And Rodgers is 40 and will be 40 for almost all of the 2024 season, he is not 41.

An opinion would be "he will get extended" or "he will not get extended", not when his contract currently ends.

I haven’t mentioned JDs contract.  No one should.

Many people here have at JN, repeatedly.  Hence why I said it the way I did.

I will say this, if the team stays relatively healthy they’re at least contending for a playoff spot and I assume his chances are pretty good of getting an extension. 

See, that's an opinion. 

One I generally would disagree with, personally. 

Contending will not IMO be enough for Woody at this point, nor will backing into a Wildcard berth and subsequent blowout loss in that wildcard game (as one example).  But who knows what Woody thinks at this point.  I know I wouldn't retain JD if we only "contend" but don't make the postseason this year.

• Upvote 1